scarlet_11dy6
Flounder
Flounder
2,031 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Golden Trails: The New Western Rush

[Post New]by scarlet_11dy6 on Jul 15, 10 7:32 AM
Graphix are very well done originals & hiding things in plain sight made it more challenging. It also has an unlimited mode to unlock if you shoot enough bad guys.

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Jul 15, 10 7:58 AM
Hi QEIII! Wasn't Freddy Pharkas a hoot? It's a great, little gem from the golden age of Sierra. I'm sending you a link where you can download it for free, a version that will work with WinXP. I may try it later try with Vista and fool around with Compatibility Mode. I'd like to visit that old friend again, too. Curious fishies can Google. It will come right up.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 15, 10 8:24 AM
I bought this one from the developer site when it first game out...I had beta tested it many moons ago, and was one of those who were eagerly awaiting it. Fun game.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Jul 15, 10 9:18 AM
I really like this game. Although it's more straight HOG than IHOG, it's still enjoyable. Most of what's great about it has already been said: great graphics, nice story, really nice music. I love that there's another mode to unlock, and if you're fast with the puzzle-type scenes and the bandit shooting, it doesn't seem too hard to unlock it. The shooting bandits didn't bother me. You don't have to shoot them, although that does give you a problem if you need many hints. My only problem with the game is the story is sort of jumbled. It's not that important, but at times I had no idea what was going on, really. There's an explanation for why you're doing all this searching, but sometimes the explanation just left me going, "Whaaat?"

redrosesdz
Catfish
Catfish
1,691 Posts

[Post New]by redrosesdz on Jul 15, 10 9:28 AM
I read through the reviews looking for someone else to mention the one thing that really irritated me.

Normally when you have a list and some of the items are a different color, brown background in this game, it means the objects need interaction to find them. Not this game! The brown background has 2 meanings. Either the object needs interaction OR it's an inventory item OR it is both. I wasted so much time on the inventory items that didn't need an interaction. I was looking for something that needed to be done. IMO, if the developer felt a need to point out that an item was for inventory, even though there is a picture in the inventory box, then they should have used a 3rd color for the ones that don't need interaction.

Irritating games are a no buy for me.

[Post New]by hnyfitz on Jul 15, 10 10:28 AM
SERIOUSLY? mouse over ashtray says "smoking kills" but you can click on alcohol? what were you thinking? include both or leave it alone

cyndihugs
Salmon
Salmon
2,926 Posts

[Post New]by cyndihugs on Jul 15, 10 12:36 PM
QEIII wrote:Have played half an hour of demo but I don't think this will be for me. Just plain Hidden Object scene after scene, no puzzles or mini-games so far so doesn't hold my interest. Music got on my nerves so turned off. Sorry, but I found it boring. (Just my opinion .)

Just wanted to say that there are mini-games, in fact there are 3 of them at the end of each chapter. I don't "think" it is a straight up HOG either, sorry it's been awhile since I've played it so I could be wrong about that...my favorite mini-game is where ya have to shoot the 'bad guys' (reminds of going to those shoot 'em up games at the fair)...you can earn some more badges there (I think LOL), I beta tested this game and was one of the few that won a free copy of the game! I thought for sure someone else in here might of won a free copy but haven't read where they did or not. (some names in here I remember seeing on Dev.'s forum).

IMO I think it's one of the better games out....and it took me about 5 hrs to finish.

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 12:38:27 PM PST

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Jul 15, 10 2:42 PM
THANKS everyone for posting your thoughts

I will demo the game, by what i have read i may buy it.

I love WESTERNS. Someone said Clint Eastwood, HE IS my favorite...

Happy Gaming

PEN

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Jul 15, 10 2:51 PM
just played the hr demo and I was not excited at all. The graphics are nice. Would get it as a daily deal only.

swtndsr2
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by swtndsr2 on Jul 15, 10 3:05 PM
It looks like a good game....but I'm not into westerns. Sorry Duke!!!

Meisie84
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by Meisie84 on Jul 15, 10 3:40 PM
Half way through the trial...'must have' for me!

Doing the happy dance

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Jul 15, 10 3:59 PM
hey everyone, just wanted to tell you all this is a game i thought i would hate,but, I LOVE IT!!!! i have passed on so many games recently because they really sucked this one though is refreshingly different. icant really say why since i love games like rtr, dire grove curse of briar rose etc. IT IS A KEEPER FOR SURE!!!

crabbycat
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by crabbycat on Jul 15, 10 6:45 PM
What a fun game! I love HOGS and this seems to be a good one. Good graphics and cute story line. I know some tho't the character reminded them of Clint Eastwood, but I was kinda thinking he was like Tommy Lee Jones..Whatever!! I think this is definitely a buy for me. Too bad I have to go back to work tomorrow! Happy gaming all.

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Jul 15, 10 7:42 PM
swtndsr2 wrote:It looks like a good game....but I'm not into westerns. Sorry Duke!!!

Please don't let that dissuade you from trying this game. Honestly, I absolutely LOATHE westerns (much to the disgust of my husband LOL), but this is a treasure of a game. I too wasn't even going to bother downloading it with my distaste for the subject matter, but I'm glad I did as this is a fabulous game. If you haven't tried it, please do yourself a favour and at least download it and try it - you may, as I was!, be very surprised and enjoy it!

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Jul 15, 10 8:48 PM
I've just finished the game and enjoyed it.
Fairly straight HOG but there is a little interaction between scenes. Not quite what I would call an IHOG but some others might.

Graphics were sharp and clear. I liked the artwork.
I found the objects were well hidden but in plain site and were appropriate to the scene.

No timer.

Not sure if there is a penalty for over clicking as I never ran into it.

Plenty of bonuses including extra hints and points for quick finds, no hint use and, oddly enough, for finishing continuous scenes without leaving the game.

The mini games in between were the only negative for me as they were extremely repetitive and insanely easy. But they were very short and quick so not a bother.

The random shooting, (bad guys pop up) during the HOG scenes, which adds extra hints, is slightly annoying but easily ignored if it bothers you.

The music was repetitive but I turned it down low and it wasn't distracting.

The game, along with the bonus scenes, took me a little over four hours but I relaxed and took my time.

The replay value may be quite good for some as there are many different trophies and achievements to go for.

After completing the game and finding enough hidden sheriff badges it also unlocks an unlimited mode.

This has all the extras of a CE including wallpaper, soundtracks, walkthrough and background construction.

On the whole I found this a fun game with nicely challenging hidden objects.

As a side note I must add:
I do think it's funny that the story starts out with a old time sheriff needing a vacation and his boss sending him off.... ...did they get vacation days back then???

Edited on 07/15/2010 at 9:08:49 PM PST

peachycat
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by peachycat on Jul 15, 10 9:54 PM
I thought it kind of funny that when you passed the mouse over an ashtray a message would pop up saying cigarettes kill, but yet in the same scenes, you had to shoot people to get extra hints! Bullets can kill also.

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Jul 16, 10 4:18 AM
cherbtoo wrote: I this game and have bought it after playing for less than half an hour.

C

Cherb, you've been quoted in the Game Splash e-mail, but they spelt your name Cherubtoo!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 16, 10 4:37 AM
grabbinbugs wrote:Beautiful graphics, voice overs are quite well done with just the right cowboy accents, great music and sound effects. Objects are pictured and are keeping with the western type theme. Don't think this is a short one either...looks like plenty to do with going on vacation, solving a robbery, meeting a lady love and who knows what else befalls our hero the sherriff. High quality game. A definite buy here.

This is exactly how I feel. A wonderful game with great graphics, great gameplay, great voices, a nice way to get more hints, and love searching for the sheriff stars as well. Gets 5 out of 5 stars from me.

I forgot to mention that I LOVE those animations - on the maps as well as in the scenes. They are wonderfully done and cute as well.
I also love that this is a western-style game - beats playing yet another vampire genre.

Edited on 07/16/2010 at 2:44:15 PM PST

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jul 16, 10 7:39 AM
I want to like this.. I really do, I LOVE westerns and none of the western games on here are of the same excellent standards as the dark themed games (love those too!) so I'm disappointed to see there are hand-eye coordination parts in this game. Are they very hard? I really hate feeling pressured in a game or skipping everyone because I'm not quick enough or it throws me off. I'm more the love reading tons of story/dialog and lots of HOG scenes type.

How much quick hand-eye coordination type stuff is there in this game can anyone tell me please?

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 16, 10 7:56 AM
CasualGran wrote:
The only thing is... I have to shoot robbers that suddenly appear on my screen and that makes me nervous. The idea that one of them can pop up anywhere, anytime and that I have to respond quick enough to get them disturbs my concentration looking for the objects.

yeah... like the bandit popping up from under mary's bed when she was supposed to be out... hmmm...

i liked a lot of things about this game... after having gotten totally hooked on "justified" this season, i really felt like i'd joined the marshals or something... a bank robbery, horse thievery, and who said money can't buy you love?? no wonder mary is hiding bandits in her bedroom

the game has an unlimited mode [reminds me of 'sunnyville'] which can be unlocked after earning so many points in the regular game... for true HOG junkies, this is the ultimate! and as others have mentioned there's a bonus mission that is unlocked after finding all the sheriff's badges... as for the hints - well, i don't mind shooting bad guys for hints... i just look at it like i would 'whack-a-mole' and all its variants, or the shooting games at the fair... which brings me to... trophies! yay! there are so many trophies for so many things... getting through scenes without using hints, completing the minigame bundles between locales, getting so many correct clicks in a row, collecting so many objects in so little time... so trophy crazy - perfect for me, right?

there are initially five locales in the adventure... i completed 'sunnyvale' et al in about forty minutes... taking time to read what popped up for certain objects and not skipping any of the cut scenes... so, assuming that the difficulty level slowly increases, and taking more time to search for those badges, i'm guessing the game could offer probably three and a half to four hours of playtime - before i get to do the extra stuff like the unlimited search and the extra mission...

for the folks out there interested in the technical, but haven't exactly found it yet -
there's NO timer
you CAN turn OFF the custom cursor
there ARE separate controls for MUSIC and SOUND [although the music is very ambient]
the objects ARE period-friendly

so, woo-hoo! and yee-haw! let's catch some bandits!

Go to: