pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Pirate's Treasure: An Oliver Hook Mystery

[Post New]by pixielily on Jul 21, 10 4:49 AM
This is a straight HOG with a basic storyline- find the treasure.
I did not find the objects fuzzy or too small to find.
The hint system is fast so that helps if you are having problems.

Downside: yes the games are easy and I agree with an earlier post that the ropes where for someone younger. Matter of fact I kept looking for the catch to it! LOL
I did not look to see if there is a skip buttom, but not sure why you would need one with the hints and easy of play.

The store and coin collecting I found out about by accident it should of told you and from what I have read you collect other objects.

The store should of told you what the object does not just buy and guess at its use.

There are mulitiple objects with the same name for instance a jug the one underwater screen had a lot of them, however, it was the one with color.

So in my opinion for a straight HOG it is fine just needed some fine tuning, but playable and some will find it relaxing.

I give it a 3 our 5

[Post New]by heatherington on Jul 21, 10 5:27 AM
Can you say skunk award. There were no skips past the dull story text that I never read and I don't enjoy having to read. They let you have all this gold and jewelry and then when it comes to the big enchilada "gold bullion" they won't let you have it. WHAT? I liked the fact that the scenes were real things and not hand drawn, however, their spiders were real too and I don't like having to click on spiders. Why are spiders such a popular item? I HATE spiders. I won't be buying the game because when I got to the find 10 differences scene there was no way to skip it and I could only find 4 differences. So I would not have been able to continue the game unless I wanted to be stuck staring at that same bicycle for the rest of my life. I agree, I think Big Fish has left the building for the summer on hidden object games.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jul 21, 10 5:31 AM
Another one which I don't even care to demo. One look at the screenshots says fuzzy cheap-looking graphics = not interested.

I'm not even tempted to demo games whose screenshots look so bad.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Jul 21, 10 6:02 AM
This is the third day in a row that I haven't even bothered with the Demo. Just reading the reviews is enough. Sometimes, if things are a little 50/50, then I will try the game to make up my own mind but there hasn't seemed to be a reason for three days.

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

[Post New]by dianaluna on Jul 21, 10 6:05 AM
A big thanks to Bossbrat & Nelliegemini for their thorough reviews. I really appreciate the specific reasons you both took the time & effort to delineate. That saves me time & frustration.
BTW, I notice many games with incorrect English-why in the world don't these gamemakers just have a native speaker or someone more fluent proofread the game. I'm a retired English teacher...I'd do it for free!

BarbiW
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by BarbiW on Jul 21, 10 6:15 AM

I'm afraid I didn't like this game. I found the bad English irritating and the mini games far too easy. I played almost the whole of the 'try it' hour to see if they got more difficult as the game went on but they didn't seem to change very much. This was a shame because I usually enjoy the 'join the pipes' type games in particular.

The scoring seemed over-complicated too - and I was very confused over which items were treasure which could be spent in the store and which were not (apart from the coins which were obvious).

So, sorry, no sale today.

[Post New]by carolprint1 on Jul 21, 10 6:37 AM
thanks to all you fishies.....who (depending on time zone) get up at the crack of dawn or stay up very late to demo these games early......i saw the game clicked on it...read about it...clicked the pic scenes...looked ok and decided to DL.....in the mean time i look at reviews.....and said....

thanks to you...im not going to bother....unstalled as soon as it finished DL....i never read the reviews until after i tryied the game but here lately....im glad i went the other way around....now if only i would read reviews before i Dl....

i too have many games in progress (i get bored even with the good ones) and need to take breaks from them. couple adventure games that really have me stumped & hate to use walk throughs.

have a great day fishies!!!!!!

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Jul 21, 10 6:56 AM
This game puts me to sleep.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Jul 21, 10 7:13 AM
The game hasn`t really a story (and you can`t skip it too), the game has also a timer (you can`t loose, but its count the time you need for one level). The graphic is fuzzy, objects are easy to see. Different searching games - searching via spelling or silhouette, find-the-difference-games, several minigames too. I don`t recommend this game, even for a newcomer of the hoggenre. Bigfish has so much better hogs out there at the moment (for example: try Hidden Mysteries: Vampire Secrets, Time Dreamer, Elixier, Golden Trails etc.)

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 21, 10 7:20 AM
Here we go again, very small HOs and not very enjoyable to play. Why have all the last few developers made their HOGs so bad and made them almost impossible to find objects without a magnifying glass, ugggg.

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jul 21, 10 7:46 AM
"4. And, last but not least, my BIGGEST turn-off on any hidden object game: there were SEVERAL of the same type of item you were supposed to find"

That got me too. I mean when you have to look for, say, a mug and there are three of four different types...either make a game legitimately hard or don't bother doing it at all. Don't just make it frustrating.

I gave up after I think the third scene. It was either ridiculously easy or just plain drove me nuts.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Jul 21, 10 7:48 AM
Triple sigh. This makes 4 games in a row. I will say that having played the other three I found this a little more tolerable, but not by much. I played the whole demo and found myself wondering how much longer I had to stick it out. In other words, I found the game tedious, unimaginative, and uninspired.

Specific criticisms: There is no story/ plot to speak of. Many objects are incorrectly named. As another reviewer mentioned, you can't always collect the same treasure in different scenes. In two different hidden object scenes there were two of the same object. If the developers are going to have more than one of the same object then they need to specify which one. Fortunately there didn't seem to be a penalty for wrong clicks other than if you click too many times the game pauses awhile. Grammar again was poor. There were too many mini games of the same type, there were also too many (for me) find the difference scenes. I really can't stand them. I'm a bit confused as to the purpose of the timer. I don't see how it adds to the game.

hd2222
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by hd2222 on Jul 21, 10 7:54 AM
"Good Grief, Charlie Brown"!!!!! Need I say more?

[Post New]by imogenie1019 on Jul 21, 10 8:08 AM
Well another disappointing game. Plus this game has been out there before. Very boring game have no glue why it would be considered a pirate venture.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jul 21, 10 8:15 AM
Just for the record, I'm not one of the "we" that doesn't enjoy
getting a look at a game a day.

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Jul 21, 10 9:04 AM
Ditto all of the above but the sure sign of a no starter for me was that I actually answered the 'phone without quitting the demo usuall BH has that job when I am into a demo.
Sorry the Pirates can have the treasure because I can't be bothered searching for it

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jul 21, 10 9:39 AM
belamba wrote:Maybe I bought this game because the last few horrors made this game look good! I found it quite relaxing, hint system refills quickly, puzzles so far easy, English translation awful, but not to the point of not being able to find HOs. I like spot the diff games and jigsaws so no prob there.
It never gone be the greatest game on Earth, but to me quite pleasant and relaxing AND I can see most of the HOs without the need for a microscope!
So looking forwards to the upcoming CE HOG adventure game; in the meantime I'll play this one :-))

Glad to hear someone likes it belamba. I also like some of the more straigthforward HOGS on hand. It gives me a break from going from room or scene to scene in circles. And it's great for beginners. Enjoy!

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 21, 10 9:46 AM
ok... so, i got to that puzzle where the screen goes white, and i think i know why.... i don't think we're supposed to click on that arrow... ???

things i liked...
on the options menu, you can disable all help and hints...
there's tons of treasure to find - so you get upgrades at the 'store'...
you can use the upgrades instead of the hints you disabled... the 'beeper' works like a metal detector, beeping more as you get closer to the object...
the 'hook' guy really does kinda look like the 'captain'...
who lives in a pineapple under the sea...

things that just were...
the timer counts up... seeing how much time it takes you... not as a penalty or anything... just for game time...
there are bonuses to be acquired through the trading of treasure at the 'store'...
there are many options that most would find useful - you can cut the music while keeping in game sounds, there is a custom cursor... which can be turned on or off... it can be windowed, if you're IM'ing three of your closest buddies on whatever chat network you use...
the difficulty is such that you can play with your youngster and get them hooked on HOGs...
and... the story is simple enough that they will understand it without you having to explain it to them...

things i didn't like...
find the differences... (period!)
low quality graphics...
needs more treasure.. hee hee
map locations shown that you can't get to... if a location is shown i should be able to go loot it!

as you can probably guess, i really like the whole treasure thing... so i will play on until the trial expires and gather as much booty as i can... then oliver hook will be walking the plank!

happy looting!

crabbycat
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by crabbycat on Jul 21, 10 9:53 AM
Aside from the technical problems, which I posted elsewhere...this game is OK, but not one for me. I think my grandkids would like it, though. I agree with others that we don't need a game a day...just a really good game will do. This, sadly, is not one of them. I played about 10 min and then had problems exiting game. Oh well, back to the Puppets. Thanks anyway, BF

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Jul 21, 10 10:28 AM
BossBrat said it best.

Go to: