texgma
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

Re:Post any The Pirate's Treasure: An Oliver Hook Mystery technical issues here only

[Post New]by texgma on Jul 21, 10 3:41 PM
Played til chapter 2 then game froze. reinstalled same thing. Would have been good if
playable. Even installed to another computer same thing.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

Re:Post any The Pirate's Treasure: An Oliver Hook Mystery technical issues here only

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 21, 10 5:30 PM
hey, fishies!!

if you are getting the white screen during the "coin in the box" game et al... do NOT use your mouse for the games, and do NOT click on the arrow!!

use your keyboard!

the white should not be a problem if you use the keyboard for the puzzle instead the mouse... worked for me! i was so bugged by the white screen, and decided i had to figure out why it was doing that... so when i re-opened the game, i used the keyboard - and it never went white on me again!

Lesboop
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Lesboop on Jul 22, 10 1:24 AM
And here I always thought it was the black screen of death. As others have mentioned, I too got mine when trying to get the treasure into the chest. It would only let me move the treasure either left or right. Once I clicked to go right, that was the only direction I could go. Never could get it to go up and down. I then noticed the arrow in the upper corner and thought, ok maybe it's one of those things where it goes off one side of the playing area and comes back out on the opposite side. Lol, and that is when the white screen came up. Lol, bad, bad arrow keys! I too was unable to get out of it by doing control-alt-delete.
It looks to be the type of game I might consider buying. The mini games were on the easy side, but with some games they get progressively harder. Then I had to go and mess with the treasure. I think that must have ticked off old Oliver Hook and he sabotaged all of our computers.

I might revisit it once they put out an update for it. Hard to tell if it was going to be boring or not after only 3 or 4 scenes.

So now I'm stuck with a thumb up and a thumb down and that makes my old brain confused!

This is my third new game trial tonight and it's a first where all 3 were duds. Oh well, another day maybe. I figure 3 strikes and I'm outta here!

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Jul 22, 10 9:06 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your reports on the white screen/crashing issue. I'm sorry for any frustration or inconvenience this may have caused. Our technical team is looking into it as I type. We will keep you updated here in the forums and will hopefully have some news soon.

Thank you for your patience,

bfgTigris

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

[Post New]by joyzebra on Jul 22, 10 10:16 AM
DITTO ACCESS ERROR!!!!!!!

cynz1
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by cynz1 on Jul 22, 10 9:44 PM
10 minutes into the game, screen went completely white.
That's a first.
No matter, not a particularly interesting game anyway.

Rainbow722
Flounder
Flounder
2,404 Posts

[Post New]by Rainbow722 on Jul 31, 10 2:43 AM
ditto--white screen & frozen game at the put the treasures in the chests on BOTH of my computers

QUZEMOTO
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by QUZEMOTO on Aug 1, 10 2:14 AM
I WAS PLAYING CHAPTER 5 I THINK, MINI GAME, TRYING TO PUT TREASURE INTO THE CHESTS, AND THE SCREEN WENT WHITE AND I CLICKED ON IT TO SEE IF IT WOULD CLEAR AND I COULD STILL HEAR MUSIC AND THE SHIFTING OF THE TREASURE AS I CLICKED. HAD CTRL/ALT/DELETE TO GET OUT. I JUST STARTED THE GAME A MINUTE AGO.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 2:16:06 AM PST

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Aug 1, 10 9:09 AM
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to pop in and let you know that we haven't forgotten you and we are still working on it. For those playing the treasure or coin game, you may want to try ember89's suggestion:
ember89 wrote:hey, fishies!!

if you are getting the white screen during the "coin in the box" game et al... do NOT use your mouse for the games, and do NOT click on the arrow!!

use your keyboard!

the white should not be a problem if you use the keyboard for the puzzle instead the mouse... worked for me! i was so bugged by the white screen, and decided i had to figure out why it was doing that... so when i re-opened the game, i used the keyboard - and it never went white on me again!
Thank you again for your reports and your patience, we will continue to post any updates.

bfgTigris

patbeil
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by patbeil on Aug 2, 10 7:08 PM
Crud! I wish I had read all these comments before buying the game. Got the same problem at the treasure in the chests minigame.

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Aug 17, 10 11:07 PM
white screen which in fact is the dreaded access violation error.

Vixen
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Vixen on Aug 20, 10 4:31 AM
I played for 3 minutes, used the hint button to finish level and got an error message. Then game shut down.

Not a great game.

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Sep 4, 10 12:48 PM
I played nearly half an hour, past the treasure into the chest puzzle, with all OK. Then in about the third or fourth jigsaw puzzle, with only a few pieces left to place, everything quit working. I didn't get a blue screen, a white screen or an error message. Mouse moved within a limited area, but wouldn't select anything. Could not exit, couldn't switch to another program using Alt+Tab, couldn't use the Windows key or the escape key, couldn't even bring up the Task Manager with the Ctrl+Alt+Del. Had to do a hard shut down with the power button (which I really hate ;-) Should have checked out the Forum discussion first, but that might not have mattered, as I almost never have a problem with even the largest games. I have a Dell XPS 410 machine, ATI Radeon HD 4600 series graphics card, running XP-S.P.3, in case that matters to anyone. Thought I would add my two cents' worth as my experience seemed to be a little different from other reports. I don't need any help--am uninstalling the game immediately.

Purple_One
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Purple_One on Sep 21, 10 12:04 AM
I hate to sound like a broken record; but, I was enjoying getting used to what the game was when I all of a sudden got an Error window smack in the middle of the screen...an access violation error ...... , program terminated and it just shut down which was about 15 min into the game. I think I would like this game, it is different for a HOG with extra tidbits thrown in (and not an Adventure game which I abhor and see so many HOGs miscategorized as being a HOG when they aren't at all, I just hate that deception.). Thought I would see what others had to say. I don't do trials of games because these errors don't always show up then and, by the time, you would finish a trial version, what more is left to do to buy a half of a game? Besides, I buy a lot of games on BFG's great sales and there isn't time to test them all when you buy 30+ games in one day. I still have about 1500 games I haven't even tried yet, LOL.

I just (last week) got a zip file sent to customer service chat (except it had to go by email) on a different game that wasn't acting right....it was time for a video/graphics card update which i did as instructed, plus a Shockwave update and I already had recently done a DirectX update...so all should be A-OK with my Dell Inspiron 530 desktop PC, I have a new 1 GB RAM ATI graphics card, my OS is Windows XP SP3, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, and all updates accomplished from MS.

I was hoping to get an answer here; but, i'm afraid to try the game again now so it doesn't freeze my computer like it did to others...i so not do hard shutdowns unless absolutely necessary. I can usually get Ctrl-alt-del to work one way or another to shut down my PC...I just keep clicking on the tabs in the Task Manager window and it eventually hit on something that will shut it down.

Well, I don't think I will be getting any help in here, will try the Help pages and then the Chat tomorrow if they aren't any help on this issue. I really want to keep the game because I was getting to liking it. Oh, well, time will tell. Will check back here to see if there is any news. God bless

Purple_One
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by Purple_One on Sep 21, 10 3:09 PM
I don't know what happened to the reply I just typed. I got shut out of the web site and had to sign in again, both here and the main page. So, I will try again. I am just trying to correct a few errors I made in the previous reply. A bigggg error on my part was a typo of how many games I still haven't tried to play....it should read 150 NOT 1500, LOL. I guess I was tired and should have reviewed what I wrote before posting it...there are some grammatical errors, too; but, I think they are pretty much self explanatory and don't need to be mentioned again; wasn't anything anyone would care about anyway, just me...sorry.

I did check the Help pages with no luck. I went to Chat today and decided to take a credit for the game and uninstalled it since it looks like the problems with it haven't been caught and corrected yet by the developers. I guess I should have checked the forum first; but, I think I explained why I didn't. BFG is great on fixing or exchanging games and that is one of the reasons I think they are the greatest game company I have dealt with. Can't wait for the next sale!! Oh, my gosh!! Did I say that?? Guess I'd better get busy and play some of my games, LOL.
God bless all the fishies and BFG.

Go to: