sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sinshack on Jul 22, 10 4:32 AM
I'm just thrilled to pieces to be playing anything on a 23" screen again. My computer blew out it's hard drive a few weeks ago, so I've been trying to play HOGs on a Mini9 while waiting for the techs to do their magic. Believe me, you haven't lived until you've tried to find a paper clip on a 9 inch screen!

I'm downloading now - I hope I don't love it too much, because I have a nice backlog of games that I purchased during the 4th of July sale and haven't been able to play on the Mini9, either because the poor little thing couldn't handle the burden or because the objects were microscopic on that screen. I can wait it out until the regular version arrives.

When someone who purchased finishes, could you let us know how much time the bonus sceens take? An extra 5 HOG sceens and interactive play sounds great, but not if they only take 30 minutes. I'm hoping for at least an extra hour of play to help justify the extra bucks.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Castle of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pratchettfan777 on Jul 22, 10 4:39 AM
CasualGran wrote: Hm. I'd promised myself not to buy a CE anymore after that disaster of a Dream Chronicle's game...

But this one seems quite interesting. Good graphics, choice between easy and advanced mode, NO TIMER (jippieee!) tolerable music and minigames that are neither too easy nor too diffucult.

Also, I really enjoyed the first Echoes of the Past. So...

Oh dear. Now I have to decide again. To buy or not to buy. That's the question.

Anyway, the game seems worth 5 out of 5.

NO timer option = boring and a poor value IMO

[Post New]by heatherington on Jul 22, 10 4:41 AM
I guess I don't remember the first game. But I will definitely be buying this when it comes out at regular price. I played the whole demo and was tantalized with promises of floating across the river and getting into the castle. I'm with the above post about hard economic times. I don't have any more money for this month so I can't buy this game today but I will certainly buy it. I don't need the wallpaper though or the extras. I will check out the previous game to refresh my memory cause I have no recolation of a previous game by this developer. That will give me something to do at least. Ta Ta for now.

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by kpajak on Jul 22, 10 4:52 AM
Excellent game, I purchased after 20 minutes! I love the fact that it makes you think, but not so difficult that you want to tear your hair out!

rpederse
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by rpederse on Jul 22, 10 5:00 AM
I read a very interesting article that tied the slowdown in creative games to the $6.99 price point - I guess it's hard for the developers to make a good profit at that price. Everybody's situation is different, but because I'm able to, I've been buying the collector's editions of games I'm confident in as a way of encouraging the development of good games. For me, a game I really enjoy like Briar Rose, which I've replayed many times, really is worth the higher price whether I want the extras or not.

On this one, I'm torn - the reviews here look really good. On the other hand, while I did like the first one, I haven't found the replay value of it to be high for me.

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Jul 22, 10 5:01 AM
I loved the first Echoes of the Past oyal House of Stone and I loved this demo! But it's not worth paying $20 for, even for three credits. I don't want to wait and have to start from the beginning, but some restraint is required here.

The graphics are good and the gameplay is not that hard. You just have to go back and forth from screen to screen to find things to use to finish an area, but that's something easy to figure out if you play the regular mode, which gives you sparkling areas to consider.

It's not that exciting, just fun to play. So I can wait and use $20 to purchase three games (or more if I buy some DDs...)

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Jul 22, 10 5:36 AM
Game is really interesting, the graphics are excellent, and the music is not intrusive. I would have liked a timer option, but all in all, I am really pleased with this sequel. I really liked the first one, so am thrilled that this one is decent, after the Dream Chronicles fiasco.

I decided no CEs for me after I bought Dream Chronicles and it was such a disappointment, so I'll be waiting for the regular one to come out, but it is a great game.

I give it a out of 5

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Jul 22, 10 6:11 AM
Ditto on waiting for the regular version. I enjoyed the demo and will certainly buy at $6.99, but I don't need the extras and don't think it's worth the additional money for me. I would rather buy 3 games.

unducky
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by unducky on Jul 22, 10 6:13 AM
sounds good, im going to download it

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Jul 22, 10 6:18 AM
Well I have to say after playing 1/2 of the demo , I like the flow of game very welcoming , I am also playing the easy mode for the demo so I can see as much of the game as possible , love the graphics so far there's nothing negative I can think of ...except the price , I haven't had a good game seems like ages ,,at least one that will keep my interest for a couple hrs, & not get bored ..I haven't got stuck , the hint system seems fine to me , as long as I keep picking up mirrors during my adventure ..Not sure weather I will be able to hold out on this one ...I'm really liking it .

Cheers ,

sassysoul
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by sassysoul on Jul 22, 10 6:32 AM
I've done the demo and really enjoyed it.
The only thing I couldn't figure out is how to get the game strategy guide. Is it just the book? If so, it doesn't give any answers.

I agree totally with the people who say forget the wallpapers & give it to us for a price between the 2. I've bought a number of CEs and never used any of the wallpapers or scrapbooks. Just got them for the extra game play & strategy guide.

Edited on 07/22/2010 at 6:33:21 AM PST

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Jul 22, 10 6:37 AM

I also loved the 1st one, and started it again a few weeks ago, but have ended up going in circles completly lost, but refuse to look at walkthrough, but I will wait for the 6.99 version to come out, so not even going to play the free hour until then, as I also dont need wallpapers or 5 more **** scenes. Im willing to wait.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 22, 10 6:58 AM
I really like this game, it has so many places to go and so many things to find. I've done the clock and I've done the tavern. I've given the priest his beads too. This isn't that hard and if I need help, I just click on extras in the main menu and there is a guide,

S_Sorcha
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by S_Sorcha on Jul 22, 10 7:08 AM
Aw YES!! I have been waiting for this one!! Downloading right now...not even reading the reviews (don't want anyone putting a damper on my excitement). Humidity at 92% and thunderstorms fore-casted for like the next 40 days, but my day is looking up! Happy swimming fishies (and not through the air)

mountfalcon
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by mountfalcon on Jul 22, 10 7:08 AM
I got happily involved with the gameply, though not convinced that the graphics are actually anything special, and there are a few grubby scenes, but I'm not keen on a CE, as the only 'real' extra for me is bonus play: I'm not interested in wallpapers or artwork, and a free walkthrough usually appears a short time after the game on one of the usual sites (although they're seldom needed for this sort of game, and are more useful for adventures (whatever happened to adventures?). I can wait for the normal version without feeling especially deprived.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jul 22, 10 7:18 AM
I beta'd this one and I will be buying it. Next month though. Not too long to go.
I agree with everyone about the hint system that's great. The minis are great.
You have to think this one out a little more than the last but not pulling my hair out so far.
Have fun

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Jul 22, 10 7:29 AM
Being a fan of the first game in this series, I was way jazzed for this game's release. And I haven't been disappointed thus far in the demo game play. But I don't feel it's worth the CE price for me since I have no use for the extra goodies. Thus I'll wait for the SE. It's only a few weeks away and will be an August punch card purchase.

Edited on 07/22/2010 at 7:30:28 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 22, 10 8:03 AM
Often times a sequel isn't as enjoyable as the the first go-round, but in this case, I think it might be better. The intro is great, the sounds and voices are very good, and the graphics are really well done. While there's some scene-to-scene moving around, it seems more easily accomplished than the first one. Played the whole hour demo and the time went by in a snap. I've bought a few CEs in the past and have been disappointed with a couple of them--don't need the wallpapers or the concept art or the built-in (of sorts) strategy guide. I'll just wait for the regular edition and muddle through on my own.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Jul 22, 10 8:06 AM
Oh, no -- the demo just ended...I must buy this game! As good as the first. Interesting plot, great graphics (in the street scene, touch the newspaper: it becomes an origami bird. As far as I can tell, it doesn't add to the plot, just to the aesthetic enjoyment of the game.), appropriately moody and eerie ambience. The game combines HOG scenes (clear, not blurry; story-appropriate objects; well- designed scenes) with puzzles (some difficult, most not so). You have the option of playing with or without interactive scenes being highlighted, so you can control the difficulty level. I've played without the interactive scenes highlighted and have found the game to be fairly easy. It is a run-around-everywhere-and-do-everything structure but I enjoy those so that's a plus for me. The busier, the merrier. The game shows thought and creativity. Thanks, BF!

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Jul 22, 10 8:07 AM
I really enjoyed the first one, so this is a buy for me. I've only played the demo so-good graphics, music-fitting and didn't interrupt my gameplay, hidden objects-not too easy, not too hard. At least I can find things. The hidden object list will give you the total number of items to find. When you find items, it's crossed out and another replaces it. At one time, my inventory was packed full of tools to use in different locations. I always try to remember where I need to use a particuliar item and go back to that location so I'm not cluttering up my inventory. I'm thinking there's alot of going back and forth in this game. Which is OK, as long as I don't forget where I'm supposed to go . So far, so good!!

Go to: