innej
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Re:A SIGN UP SHEET ASKING TO KEEP THE FORUM ACTIVE

[Post New]by innej on Apr 17, 18 7:41 AM
The forums are vital to get help with the games, not sure how they could justify not having them. And to report technical issues.

Getting notified of game updates is not foolproof as many times, I don't get the notifications through the game manager every time there is an update (and I do have it set to auto check for those) and have to go check the specific games forum to see if there is an update to a particular game, if I have tech issues with it.

I love games and would likely move to a different site if this actually happens. It would truly be a disappointment to lose the forums and to leave as I have been a member here since mid-year 2005.

I don't post on the forums much but I certainly do use them for help when I'm stuck!

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 7:44:58 AM PST

MLC60
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by MLC60 on Apr 17, 18 7:43 AM
I very seldom post to the forum, but I do read them, especially when deciding whether to purchase a game. The star system is helpful, but it doesn't really tell you all you need to know. The CE's these days have so much less to them than when I first joined the pond that if BFG takes away the forums, I really don't see much point in continuing my membership.

ctitus
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by ctitus on Apr 17, 18 7:44 AM
I don't post much on the forums, mostly when I need help or try to help someone else, however I do use the forums a lot, for various reasons. Having purchased A LOT of games, I often wonder how do we access them if we are no longer a member? Does anyone know the answer to that? Also, where do we go for help w/ a problematic game/puzzle when there is no forum?

I wouldn't mind a dollar or two increase to keep the forums, however I don't really believe that whatever we, the customer, wants makes a bit of difference in the grand scheme of things. Customer service and satisfaction seems to be a thing of the past, which is very sad.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Apr 17, 18 7:45 AM
I definitely don't think there should be an additional monthly charge to keep the forums going but I do think that the forums should be a privilege only for those who are members and should not be available to anyone who wants to post. I think that many of the spammers here do not have memberships and that is an avenue for them to post their spam.

HOWEVER if it did take an additional $1 a month I would be willing to pay that provided we are also able to use our PCCs to purchase CE games. Why not allow us to use two PCCs to purchase a CE. Many of use have tons of PCCs that we give away or let die away because we cant use them. Just my thoughts on all of this.

Pennmom, we need a real sign in sheet where we can simply add our user names and not all of the comments. Maybe we can get tons of posts over the next few days to grab the attention of the BFG management gurus who are making a very bad decision by closing the forums.

BFG should remember they lost a huge volume of members when they closed the Chit Chat Corner and this is another move that will hurt rather than bolster the business for the new owners.

tophen
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by tophen on Apr 17, 18 7:47 AM
i,m in my 70,s been a member for over 10 yrs.it is hard to pay a fee each month.much less adding 1 ex a month for something that should be there for paying members.guess if the forums are taking away or have to pay for them than i will have to quit big fish.plus games have been going down hill

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 17, 18 7:53 AM
First, I would like to say that I would prefer that BFG keeps the forums open. I am not happy that they are being shut down.

I am most especially unhappy regarding the game updates. We all know that not all game updates to fix glitches get passed down to the Game Manager. Many times I have had to read about an update in the forums and do a manual uninstall and re-install to get the updated version of the game. Without a forum notification, I can see missing important updates.

Reading the Mod announcement, I think this is a done deal. If we were given even a month's notice or more, I think perhaps there would be some room to beg for another solution, but two weeks? I think it's pretty much over.

My theory for the reasons for the shutdown? (cuz I always have a theory)

This forum software is ancient and taking a lot of server space, hence the Mod comment on it being "fragile." This was the reasoning years ago to upgrade the forums to a new system. BFG spent a lot of cash on a new system and it failed miserably. They couldn't even get it running for us to see it beyond the screen shots from the software consultants. This is why the Chit Chat Corner disappeared. New forum software failed. BFG need to shrink the size of the forum. CCC got the axe.

What we have now is an ever growing forum that most likely BFG cannot upgrade even if they wanted to. This is why the spam runs rampant. I don't believe that they can add a spam filter or new acct creation changes on a forum software package that is so old and that BFG is probably not maintaining. BFG would need to get a completely new forum package which most likely would not be able to get this old system transferred to. Lots o' cash involved and we would likely lose all the old data.

So, the Mods (who probably have other job requirements at BFG) are spending hours and hours deleting spam by hand, moderating discussions, answering questions, etc. instead of doing their other jobs. It's not just the cost of the forums or server space. It's the cost of the employees on top of all that just to clean up these forums every single day.

It is very sad. It's been nice being able to come here every morning over coffee for almost a decade. Anyone who does happen to want to reach me, PM me soon and I can give you my user name at Steam (my Adventure Game Central).

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Apr 17, 18 8:11 AM
I have been a member for nearly ten years and usually look at the relevant new forum each day before downloading the free trial as it is very helpful to get other fishes views on the game and any problems. It is also helpful to see early lists of previous games in a series like those posted by pennmom36 and others. I know that sometimes there are spam posts but these can be ignored or perhaps BFG could delete them automatically. Also I agree with Banshee10 above that perhaps there should be fewer special offers as we seem to get them daily lately.

PS I wrote the above before reading through all the other comments.

One thing that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that it seems unlikely that BFG will even look at these comments. Surely they should at least acknowledge our concerns today as by tomorrow there will be new game forums and these will be forgotten.

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 8:28:15 AM PST

BEN1972
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by BEN1972 on Apr 17, 18 8:18 AM
I also would like to see the forums stay open. It's the only way to communicate with others and see game info.

WhiteladiesRd
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by WhiteladiesRd on Apr 17, 18 8:26 AM
From 2 to 3 CE's a week, reducing prices, daily sales - I'm not surprised about less quality. BFG ruined a once brilliant game format. Who can produce more for less money and within shorter time?

I've never posted a lot. The sheer negativity here over the last months and weeks made me stay away. Why should I pay for something I don't use and don't enjoy?

Of course I've met many many nice people here and will keep in touch with them, as we already have established means of communication.
Especially for FTP games, there turned up many privately run forums and I wish all the players the courage and stamina to run new forums for their favourite games.

Feel sorry for the mods, hopefully they will get different jobs within the company. At the same time I feel happy for them, the daily spam hunt will soon be over. This ongoing problem was never resolved, in spite of all the promises by BFG.

Wishing all of you the best! Good bye, see you in different forums!

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Apr 17, 18 8:29 AM
Here's the original post:

An important announcement about the Big Fish Games Forums - April 16, 2018

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Apr 16, 18 2:33 PM
Hi everyone,

Over the years, our forums have played a huge role in how we communicate with and receive feedback from you, our players. They have also been an important source for game-play help.

You may be aware that our forums have been fragile for quite some time, and it has been determined that we are unable to sustain them while also maintaining the first-rate customer experience via this and other channels that our players have come to expect.

Beginning April 30, 2018, creating new posts and private messaging will be disabled on the Big Fish Games forums. All existing content will remain and be viewable, ensuring that there is continued access to the wealth of knowledge created and shared by you and our moderation team.

There’s no change in our commitment to bringing the best content to our customers. You’ll continue to receive notification of updates to games in the Big Fish Games App (Game Manager) as they’re made available.

This was an extremely difficult decision to make, and on behalf of the moderation team, we thank you all for your dedication to our community.

bfgMurrumbidgee

ETA: Recently I had to repurchase a game from another site I had originally purchased on BF that they had cut from their library. After the link failed the game title also disappeared from my purchase list.This reminded me that what you purchase here doesn't stay here forever. I will be downloading classic favorites before they disappear. I fear BF will be cutting back more and more.

It would be nice to keep the forums but I fear there is no turning back their decision.

Just wanted to say a fond farewell to all the Fishies on BF that have contributed much needed advice and comments over the decade I have been gaming here. FB has a pond brimming with old players and there are many other blogs etc out there.
Great swimming with you.

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 8:47:13 AM PST

Woolster
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Woolster on Apr 17, 18 8:30 AM
Tophen said it all . I am in the same minotory in the 70s and not enjoying the games here so much lately. Like the Forums but cannot afford another buck for membership.

Edited on 04/17/2018 at 8:41:27 AM PST

[Post New]by dgriffith on Apr 17, 18 8:35 AM
Even though I don't post much in the forums, I come here every single day! I've been a member of BFG since 2009 and have seen many changes since then, but this change will be the worst one of all in my opinion. I think BFG will actually lose members and game revenue over it. My very extensive wishlist is based solely on the thoughts and reviews of the fishies in this pond. I'm on an extremely tight budget, so I have to be very picky about what games I purchase. My very large game library has also been made possible by the information I've been able to find in the game forums.

The game page doesn't go into the type of detail and helpfulness that you can find here in the game forums. I also find that the reviews on the game page aren't quite as helpful as the reviews in the forum are. I'm sorry that I don't remember the very helpful fishie who posts all of the games in each series, but for me, that is extremely helpful and very much appreciated!

I also like how various members of the pond will post in a game forum about the length of the game, how many puzzles vs HOS, the various difficulty levels you can choose and also what collectables are included. There is a vast wealth of knowledge among the members here in the pond and all of that helps when it comes to choosing which game to purchase when you are trying to decide between games!

I also depend on the game forum to let me know when there is an update available for a game, my game manager doesn't alert me to updates 98% of the time!!

Please, please reconsider this awful decision to close down the forum!!!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Apr 17, 18 8:37 AM
The forums are the main reason I stay with Big Fish. I can read reviews, and get help from other players, not to mention the "tech" information. I'm not sure what the attraction would be without the forums.

rainworm
Herring
Herring
360 Posts

[Post New]by rainworm on Apr 17, 18 8:43 AM
First of all, the forums are a vital part of the Big Fish game offers. If we cannot communicate about our experiences with a game, possible problems, glitches and the like, why would we still buy our games here?

But the company sees a financial problem with manpower to manage the forums. One idea was, to pay extra to help, keeping open them. No good idea, as members already pay. So the forums for members only? Don't know. Could be a first step.

As almost all distributors of games offer forums, BFG should not just eliminate them. Perhaps less sales for non-members could be an answer.

judith12
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by judith12 on Apr 17, 18 9:11 AM
I also hardly ever post but I come here everyday. I've received a lot of help from this forum over the years & grateful to those who have helped. I'm also on a budget & will not pay extra for a membership because it bothers me that non-members can enjoy the same sale as members, we hardly get a "for members only sale". This is just my opinion but I'm seeing the beginning of the demise of BF. First it is the forums then in a few months it will be the walkthroughs. Then one day there will be no more BF. I've seen it happen with other game companies over the years, I pray that I am wrong. If they raise the monthly rate I will cancel my membership & save my money to buy adventure games over at Steam or GOG.

bfgMurrumbidgee
1,338 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMurrumbidgee on Apr 17, 18 9:17 AM
G'day,

I wanted to take a moment to stop by and thank you all for sharing the thoughts, feelings and suggestions that you have following the announcement about the changes to our forums.

As we've noted the forums are, and have been a huge part of the Big Fish experience for a considerable time now.

Bartsister is correct when they say that the forum software is old, and that upgrading or updating the software is simply not an option that is available to us.

This decision was not an easy one to come to, and as with all feedback we will be passing everything shared with us along to the appropriate teams.

Thank you again for taking the time to share all of this with our team.

bfgMurrumbidgee

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Apr 17, 18 9:21 AM
The most important aspect for me is to be able to report technical issues that I'm having with a game. How are we to inform BF if we're experiencing problems? We won't be able to report our operating system and the trouble we are having, so how is the game supposed to get fixed if they take that away from us???? We AND Big Fish need the forums for access to technical information that gamers report so that games can be fixed quickly and more sales would be generated for them and the developers. I can't see how eliminating the forums will increase sales. And the removal of private messaging makes no sense to me at all. What is THAT all about anyway?????

kandinsky
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

SAVE THE FORUM!

[Post New]by kandinsky on Apr 17, 18 9:30 AM
Of course my subject head is addressed to the company...
one becomes aware that the players participation is by grant and not by right
before I got into hopa games I did mafia wars (remember anyone?) I was active and member of a clan (player group with an illusion of autonomy) , after a while zynga found ways to rein in the clans and also finally just closed the game when the cash balance went south. their right. our little secondary world however shattered.

here too the rights are all in the hands of the company
they pay the bills.
for me this is not a secondary world really but the forums are a big part
of my playing of games here...
I dont see any real substitute in prospect. there is something at pondfriends but it is not for me really...

I doubt this will be a wise business decsion
it is certainly a blow to the players
please reconsider!

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Apr 17, 18 9:38 AM
FishyFemale wrote:The most important aspect for me is to be able to report technical issues that I'm having with a game. How are we to inform BF if we're experiencing problems? We won't be able to report our operating system and the trouble we are having, so how is the game supposed to get fixed if they take that away from us???? We AND Big Fish need the forums for access to technical information that gamers report so that games can be fixed quickly and more sales would be generated for them and the developers. I can't see how eliminating the forums will increase sales. And the removal of private messaging makes no sense to me at all. What is THAT all about anyway?????

That is my main concern! How are we reporting the technical problems?

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Apr 17, 18 9:39 AM
Hiya Fishies!

I will also miss the forums. I have been with Big Fish since before there even were forums. I think they were an important addition and will be sorry to see them go.

Game on!

PrplDva

Go to: