elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Mysterious Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jul 28, 10 2:42 AM
I went into this with an open mind because the title suggests a classic tale. I didn't realize that I would be reading an online book, but after about ten minutes, that became obvious. Nothing against extensive printed dialogue and journal reading, but this one may be over the top. The conversations are appropriate but sometimes just too lengthy. The hidden objects, which are fairly easy to find, are in murky scenes, I guess to simulate the London fog. The hints are limited to five and there are no instructions on how to get another if you use one until about the third or fourth hidden-object scene--I think that guidance should be right up front. The music is sometimes soothing, sometimes a bit suspenseful, but a little repetitive. There is a choice of game or hardware cursor--the hardware one chosen for me was a tiny black arrow, almost invisible; the game cursor isn't much larger and goes around in dizzying circles after about three or four misclicks. This is a "no purchase" for me. Two stars max. (Shouldn't imply that I only gave it ten minutes--did 51 minutes and my opinion didn't change.)

P.S. Don't agree with comments like "Rubbish" and "Boring"--at least explain why!

And after reading other very respected reviews, I might give this one another shot and upgrade to 3 stars.

Edited on 07/28/2010 at 8:21:40 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jul 28, 10 2:42 AM

I'm a fishy swimming against the tide here.

I liked it, I bought it and it prompted me to look up and review Robert Louis Stevenson's work and the context of the novella.

Thanks developers!

[Post New]by okletmewin12 on Jul 28, 10 3:33 AM
agree with most of those that commented

way too much yakking to get to the gameplay and the gameplay i thot was only okay

quit after about 20 mins just couldn't put up with all the clicking to get thru the dialogue

ojennifer
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by ojennifer on Jul 28, 10 3:38 AM
Skip.

It's another HOG, and I just skip over those. Can't stand them anymore.

sunnyrocks
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyrocks on Jul 28, 10 3:42 AM
Due to the reviews, I won't bother downloading, I mentioned this before in one of my comments on a previous game, gamers are buying a game not a novel. Since most of the reviews states that there is a lot of chit chat and reading I won't bother. However if the story is well written and not lengthy it can add to the game and not take away from it. I also hate HOGS that the items are to hard to find. Since that has been mentioned as well, I won't even try the demo.

Hey, does anyone besides gamers read these comments, like I don't know BF or developers. Waiting for a really good HOG/Adventure game with creative mini games to come out. There is alot more money to be made on one good game instead of 10 bad ones. Develop smart it is alot less work and more rewarding.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 28, 10 4:36 AM
Those who want good stories in their games are willing to read, and follow the dialogue (which in this one can click past at their own pace) There is a storybook to follow, not sure how close to the original, but for me next best thing to a little book on tape, you get the atmosphere with pictures and can find clues, objects like any other HOG game.

It had a lot more color than I expected from the promo shots as the artists used minimal color and good lighting where it mattered. Only 2 items I had to use a hint, too faded on the background, and another, a tamborine which I clicked on several times and got the loopy cursor (devs: why annoy players like that?) wasted a hint and I was right, just one of those picky pixels not hitting the right place. The hint showed me exactly where I had tried and took a bunch more clicks. But for the mostpart, it's the out of scale objects that can give you some challenge. Can't call this junkpile at all, sizing can add to the difficulty level, can't see when it's in your face.

Can't judge length because I read everything to immerse in the story, played the minis and was about the end of chapter 1 I think, in the guy's room at the opium parlor. So, games with a lot of reading do stretch the time out if that is how you judge length, by hours.

I posted first impressions on the other thread re Quality, and IMO this is good quality, giving you a lot in a "small game", minimum resources needed, 128ram and 60mb file, but creates excellent atmosphere, forget all the gizmos that spoil us in complicated whiz bang games. This is simple relaxation, take your time and enjoy. to the devs.

jenny1983
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
488 Posts

[Post New]by jenny1983 on Jul 28, 10 4:42 AM
Thank you goofyduck77 and puzzledone for your well-written and thought out posts. I personally enjoy games with a good story (and this one is a classic).

Edited on 07/28/2010 at 4:46:47 AM PST

crlmtly
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by crlmtly on Jul 28, 10 5:02 AM
WAY TOO MUCH CHIT CHAT!!!!!!!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jul 28, 10 5:07 AM
GOOFYDUCK

There is such a varity of taste levels in players and difficulty levels in games now that many negative judgements only deter a lot of shoppers from even giving a new game a chance. This is one that I can see if ever a DD is going to get snapped up for quality and game libraries needing variety. Then all the comments re how did I miss this one?? Like I did on Lost in the City and many others when I followed the crowd..

If it isn't your thing, well, keep shopping. I rarely find a game "boring", but there are many players who get bored with certain types of games. That's a personal subjective thing saying not much about the game itself being out of one's genre. I try to give a demo a full hour to explore the elements and many times was fooled by my first 10 or 20 minutes as I could have by this one. The artwork and story alone keeps getting better which is more important to me than gizmos or timers or elements others look for. I was disappointed it ended so a good sign I'll probably buy it, or add to my strong wish list for a later draught.

Thanking for the wide variety of games, and so many terrific ones in July hitting the charts, not to mention 2 sales and I'm on overload now.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Jul 28, 10 5:26 AM
Well I gave it a go.

The clunk, clunk, clunk after every bit of dialogue or pressing a button got on my nerves so I not only turned music but sound off- playing a game with total silence does not give it much atmosphere.

The hidden object scenes are sparse and nothing "hidden" about the objects so I did not find any challenge there. They objects are not in proportion - a harmonica as large as a door and scissors larger than a wagon wheel.
The graphics overall I found very ordinary.

The mini games are simplistic, matching games,

The story would probably be interesting to follow but I found the way it was presented awkward. Some of it you read in a journal and dialogue you have to click click click through (sound off to avoid the clunks).

As someone else wrote earlier, maybe 2 years ago this would have been a perfectly acceptable game but it is very outdated and games have come a long way since basic HOG play.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Jul 28, 10 5:33 AM
Not a buy at any price. Graphics, screen resolution, dialogue, music are all terrible.

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Jul 28, 10 5:38 AM
IMO, it's a perfectly fine Hidden Object game - if you're new to HoG's this one is a good place to start. Yes, there is a lot of reading to do - unless you click it fast forward, but it's actually a good story, I think.
Puzzles are on the easy side.

Edited on 07/28/2010 at 5:38:58 AM PST

tedderpic
Flounder
Flounder
2,029 Posts

[Post New]by tedderpic on Jul 28, 10 5:43 AM
looks like I'll give this a miss...I'm not a reader....
so I'll be skipping a lot of the game...
don't think I'll bother....

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 28, 10 5:51 AM
Just finished playing the demo. I would say it's a very well made game - excellent music and ambiance. Clear scenes aside from the deliberate, and likely appropriate, fog. I'm glad I took the time to at least demo it.

I went into it a bit leery of the Jack the Ripper sort of setting. (-That story's been done to death more than his victims .).

The hidden items are often oddly sized, mostly larger. For instance, I'm already pretty certain that the suspect who left the fingerprints at the first crime scene was a relative of the Jolly Green Giant . Some areas are a tad dark - but the hints were good if you have enough of them. There's a candy cane in Dr. Jekyll's lab that belongs to King Kong too I think (- I didn't stick around to see who/what would come looking for that...). I don't necessarily count that sort of thing against the game though.

The one area that made me a tad incredulous with that, though, was finding the doll clothes, and the shoe was larger than the doll. Ahem. And a monocle? - clothing? - and again, adult-sized, not doll-sized. That scene was ridiculous.

Very engrossing atmosphere though.

Anyway, if it were a daily deal, I'd be buying it. As it is, I'm set from all the shopping I did here this past weekend, and with today's DD too - spoiled to death on $3 games .

Edited on 07/28/2010 at 6:08:26 AM PST

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Jul 28, 10 6:02 AM
I did not find the game boring at all. My only complaint with the extensive dialogue is that I get antsy playing the demo with only one hour and I want to rush on to the meat of the game. Otherwise, I find the story important and interesting. It is an interesting story and I will probably buy it later. Might wait for the walkthrough to see how much I played and how much is left. I, and others, have said this before. If you don't like the game don't buy it. Trashing BF is ridiculous. You can't please everyone all the time. The graphics and hidden object scenes are good, there is nothing wrong with the music. If you don't like it, turn it down. There are probably better games out there, but there is nothing wrong with this game.

kittyruss
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by kittyruss on Jul 28, 10 6:27 AM
This game is not a bad hog and when i first started i would have like it .The problem is i i found the harder games and wanted more but to be fair its me not the game.Ifound i have changed what i like and want so to someone who likes HOGS give it a try you might like it.I like the forms but like to make up my own mind up.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Jul 28, 10 6:33 AM
If the game is 6 chapters long (as the mini games indicte) I was about half way through in about 35 minutes. It was kind of repetitive, not too hard and not worth my money.

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Jul 28, 10 6:43 AM
not a horrible game, just really, really easy. The puzzles are always my favorite part especially when they are so difficult that you need paper to write down notes to figure them out......the harder the better. In saying that these puzzles are no brainers. Not a buy for me.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Jul 28, 10 6:56 AM
This would be a good game for beginners in the HOG genre or for a gamer who likes some games on the easy side for those times when life itself isn't so easy.

For me personally, the game was too easy for my level of gaming. Sorry BFG and developer but a no purchase from our household.

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Jul 28, 10 7:02 AM
There are 6 chapters. I played for 40 minutes and I had not completed the first one yet. So I think it's a decent length.
I rarely get involved in the story line, especially with HOPA's because I to busy trying to figure out where I need to go next and what task to perform.
So, I am enjoying the story line in this game for a change. It is a simple HOG with simple puzzles. Great for beginners but also great for more seasoned players such as myself. I like the minis, good to keep the memory as sharp as possible. The scenes are very well done, the music fits right in. I did not find that the items were that easy to locate. They are very well hidden and I like that the cursor goes bonkers when you randomly click on objects.
This is definitely a buy for me.
Thank you to the developers and BF.

Go to: