Re:Al Emmo's Postcards from Anozira

[Post New]by blj421 on Aug 1, 10 5:36 AM
I gave it 25 minutes and had to stop! It was putting me to sleep in spite of an extra pot of coffee. Slow monotonous music, fuzzy graphics and items that are so small my nose was on the monitor looking for them. Definitely will not buy this one!

lydiajmack
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by lydiajmack on Aug 1, 10 5:50 AM
Thanks for the reviews fishies. You just saved me money,

[Post New]by heatherington on Aug 1, 10 6:08 AM
No penalty for random clicks, which is good because that is the only thing that gets me through this game. Has a mini game after every scene which I decidely dislike. I don't mind most of the puzzles except the one where they expect me to slide the puzzles around with one blank space available. I hate those. I don't mind the rotation puzzles except the sample that you are aiming for is so small you can't even see it with that gigantic magnifying glass you bought at Wal-Mart for $14.99 in the eyecare department. I'm not a points person so I didn't really care about that. They gave you an untimed mode, which you need. You could only collect 5 hints and unless you used a hint you will not collect another one. You did collect skip coins for the mini game. It was rather amusing because when you had to find a book the word "book" was written on the front of it. I will buy this game when it comes out for $2.99.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 1, 10 6:17 AM
This is weird - half the folks saying it's too easy, and half saying they can't find much of anything and that the items are too small. Well make up my mind (as my mom used to say)...

I finished up my demo time, and I'm still liking this more than most - maybe cuz it mostly just tries to be light and fun. I did not have any particular trouble finding stuff, but did need to use a hint or 2.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 6:20:08 AM PST

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Aug 1, 10 6:19 AM
Who knew the Alamo had moved to Arizona?!

I liked the game and think it would be good for a newcomer to HOGs or for a more experienced player looking for a relaxing game -- but play it in relaxed mode. All of the characters (one of whose personnae you adopt) are based on well-known stereotypes and the comedic themes are carried on in the HOG scenes. The scenes are worth looking at: anacronisms abound and the total effect is quite amusing.

The HOG scenes are clear but items can be very difficult to find. I thought the find-the-differences mini game was absurd: the differences were so minute that I had to random click on the scene to find them. The other mini-games were easy. Just in case, there is a skip option.

You earn hints and extra points by finding tokens in each scene -- usually 2 hint tokens and 1 point token per scene.

I would purchase this game as a DD and play it when I wanted a break from the more intense games we've had recently, such as Echoes of the Past.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Aug 1, 10 6:28 AM
See the face of Emmo up there in the icon for the game? That was exactly my expression when I tried this game. Someone please slit my wrists. Makes yesterdays' Journalist game seem like Cemetery Redemption in comparison.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 1, 10 6:56 AM
tuttepeever wrote:Another DUD. Definitely a no buy for me. Quit after playing 10 minutes into the Demo. Shouldn't complain since there have been some great games lately. I have three waiting to be purchased once they arrive at the regular price versus CEs. Will never spend $20 on a game. My patience is limitless when it comes to deals. A CE is no deal. Especially since I have just enough mulah to get me through the month for groceries. These are hard times for many of us. Especially those of us who are retired and living off what the GOVT provides. Prisoners, have it better than Senior Citizens. I could get on a rant but this isn't the forum. Just pissed off tonight so forgive me. Had to vent.

So agree, but I don't think of my Social Security as what the GOVT
provides, I worked and paid into it for 58 years.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Aug 1, 10 7:00 AM
This is your basic HOG and that's not a bad thing. I see it being compared to the Big City adventures, but I did not get the same feeling. I like that the game as a timer and limited hints as it gives a bit of a welcome challenge. There is a point system. Some objects are cleverly hidden another plus for me as I like my objects, ah, not obvious. It does have replayablity as the list does change if you restart the game, which i had to do when I ran out of hints. Skippable spoken dialogue. Graphics are bright. Basic junkpile style, a negative for me. I think children will like this, some objects are cute and the game is most certainly not offensive. As for me, it is a possible for a dry spell or a DD.

Nanner7506
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Nanner7506 on Aug 1, 10 7:15 AM
I uninstalled after 6 minutes. Can't find anything. Graphics are too poor. Cursor did not go where I intended it to go. Thumbs down on this one.

sitecer
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by sitecer on Aug 1, 10 8:03 AM
I made it all the way to 30 minutes just because I was bored. What a monumental waste of time. I was hoping that after "Junk game July" was over that we would finally have some good games........maybe the rest of the month will be better

jerseyd1
Minnow
Minnow
205 Posts

[Post New]by jerseyd1 on Aug 1, 10 8:06 AM
As soon as I saw that there was a slider puzzle and you couldn't skip it I was outta there. HATE, HATE, HATE slider puzzles!
Not such a good game anyway.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Aug 1, 10 8:19 AM
There was potential for it to be good. I understand the mixed comments as some said too easy and others said too hard. I agree with both. Some items were too hard to find and what was labeled a wafer in one scene was a chocolate bar in another. It's a very poor imitation of the Big City Adventure games right down to the whirring noise you hear when you find an object and click on it. You collect post cards and can collect various tokens same as as in the Big City adventure games. Another similarity-after each scene you play a mini game that is related to the next location you visit. I'm almost tempted to think it was developed by the same folks, except, well, the quality is so extremely poor compared to the BCA games. If the game is not from the same developers then it should be considered plagiarism. Sometimes the graphics were clear other times fuzzy. There is no consistency. The voice acting was poor, no, make that awful. If you can't find someone that can consistently maintain an accent don't do it. I used the female character, an allegedly Mexican girl. I say allegedly because that accent was in no way shape or form Mexican/Spanish. I've lived in South Texas all of my life and have traveled extensively in the Southwest and Mexico so I know a Mexican/ Spanish accent when I hear one. Folks, that ain’t it.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 1, 10 8:40 AM
Well, as far as I'm concerned, the first day of a new month isn't much to shout about with this offering. A satirical, comedic game has got to be really good to capture my attention (e.g., "Vampireville"). This one just doesn't stand up. The load time was extraordinarily long, the character selection kind of goofy, the voice acting not really well-suited, and the hidden object scenes fuzzy and sometimes difficult. Couple that with 5 hints max and you might get stuck. Mini-game "skip" chips are sometimes available and you'll want them (especially when it comes to the slider and circle-tile puzzles). I made it through most of the demo but it was a chore, not what I'd call entertainment. Sorry--maybe the second day of the month will be better. Two stars max.

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 9:21:01 AM PST

thecatspjs
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by thecatspjs on Aug 1, 10 8:48 AM
The fact that hints don't replenish is enough to make me not want to try this game. I appreciate all the reviews, so I do know going in that I'm probably not going to like this game. Too bad, but hopefully some good games will come out in the next few weeks.

lindawithag
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by lindawithag on Aug 1, 10 8:55 AM
mountfalcon wrote: I also found the scenes uncomfortably fuzzy, and some of the objects unrecognizable - not that I had the least idea what an agave worm looks like anyway (strange choice of object anyway - what's wrong with butterflies, dragonflies, cockroaches etc?).

In keeping with the southwest theme, the designers used the agave worm because it's the worm one finds in the bottom of a bottle of Mexican tequila! Tequila is made from the agave plant .

Clever!

pjmatt
Clownfish
Clownfish
523 Posts

[Post New]by pjmatt on Aug 1, 10 8:58 AM
I didn't get to try this . Being deaf ,speakers arent important to me . This game will not start with out them. Thus I uninstalled , not buying some thing I don't need just to play a game.

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Aug 1, 10 9:25 AM
A bad game when the new fishies do NOT like it!!

GOOD REVIEWS

THANKS

PEN

aalaurie
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by aalaurie on Aug 1, 10 9:55 AM
gimmegames wrote:This is weird - half the folks saying it's too easy, and half saying they can't find much of anything and that the items are too small. Well make up my mind (as my mom used to say)...

I finished up my demo time, and I'm still liking this more than most - maybe cuz it mostly just tries to be light and fun. I did not have any particular trouble finding stuff, but did need to use a hint or 2.

DITTO. The hour went fast and I didn't need to use more than a hint or two. Objects are cleverly hidden. The more you look, the more you see. I did like the Big City games and am considering this one for a DD.

In the meantime, some of my old games (not played for some time) will keep me busy. I haven't played the Ravenhurst or Dire Grove games for some time. When I go back after a long time, they are still gripping.

Would surely consider this game to fill up a punch card. BFG really hit the jackpot when they devised the punch card system. It surely grabbed me!

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Aug 1, 10 9:55 AM
Guess I'm the odd duck out! I tried it, and bought it. Grant it, I have to use hints more than I would like to, but all in all, it is a challenging HOG. Yeah, some things are really really small, but then that's what makes a good HOG. If all the objects are easy to find, it takes the challenge out of the game. I love a good IHOG/Adventure game...I have most of them. However, occasionally I like to just play a straight HOG. I think some fishies are just way to picky! Then again, there are those people in this world who wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope.......go figure!

Edited on 08/01/2010 at 9:56:24 AM PST

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Aug 1, 10 10:21 AM
Coronagold wrote:See the face of Emmo up there in the icon for the game? That was exactly my expression when I tried this game. Someone please slit my wrists. Makes yesterdays' Journalist game seem like Cemetery Redemption in comparison.

I haven't tried the game yet. I have it downloaded, but thought I would read what some of the other Fishies think of it.

I about choked on my coffee laughing when I read Corona's post above. Too funny!!!!

Go to: