gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 1, 10 11:28 PM
I got stuck and ran out of hints, so I chose to create a new player and start again from the beginning. My game froze when I opened the watercolor painting puzzle. I think that may be where it froze on me the first time. It's the only part of the game where I've had it freeze up on me so far, so maybe that's a clue for the tech folks...

Icky_Etardo
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

Re: Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Persian Carpet - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by Icky_Etardo on Aug 1, 10 11:52 PM
It worked fine for me, but I have a pretty new computer with a whiz-bang graphics card. This game is very difficult, and you have to hoard your hints or you will run out of them and have to start over (I ran out of hints on Richmond Street). The graphics are quite beautiful and as a matter of fact, appear later in other Sherlock Holmes games.

Some of the puzzle mini-games are very unique, and I haven't seen them before. There isn't a standard slider or spot-the-differences in sight of this game as far as I can tell, and it's refreshing to see different puzzles. I get tired of the same old turn-the-pipes and move-the-tumblers puzzles that we get in ordinary HOGs, and making them bigger and more complicated doesn't make them more fun. If putting on your thinking cap and scratching your head a lot isn't your idea of a good time, this game is not for you.

There are a few clues that are very tiny or hidden in areas that are so dark you just can't see them, so you have to use hints to progress in the game. I don't care for that much. The music is also used in several Sherlock Holmes games, it's a period piece, and if you turn it down low enough it won't drive you out of your mind. I don't care for the music much either, but as I said, it is period.

I might have been a little annoyed if I'd paid full price, and I've have gone through the roof if this had been a collector's edition, but for $2.99 this is a great value. I think we forget that our games have gotten a lot more sophisticated just over the past year---this one was state-of-the-art not too long ago. There have been much worse games offered as the Daily Deal before. I love Sherlock Holmes games, so I'm really glad I grabbed this one on the cheap.

gilly85
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by gilly85 on Aug 2, 10 4:33 AM
Slite wrote:Yeah, sorry, just having a laugh -- JerryinWales you pegged it. Apologies to gilly85, but that was really so sweet you writing out the directions neat and precise. Hats off to you.

Thanks.

Thought it was sort of wierd but hey - I believe everything

must pay more attention

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Aug 2, 10 6:43 AM
This wasn't such a bad game for the 2.99 DD price. Knowing it was an older game, I went into it with the realization that it might appear somewhat outdated compared to the newest of the Sherlock Holmes games. I have had no problems with freezing (yet), having read that some merely hadn't found the right places to click. The interface is similar to the newer games, and the investigations are done in the true Holmsian style. I've gotten a bit stuck on some of the deduction boards, but that's my fault, not the game's fault. The puzzles have been on par with other games in the genre, with a few new ones I hadn't seen before.

The graphics of the scenes are nicely done, considering the age of the game. I miss the animation of the newer games and the lovely voice-over of Rick Simmonds as Holmes. I have had to get my own magnifying glass out a few times to find the smallest of things, like strands of hair, but that doesn't bother me, as I have had to do that with other games. It's not as polished as the newer games, but that's understandable considering the newer technologies. It's certainly not the best of the SH games, but interesting enough to play for those who are fans of the Sherlock Holmes games.

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Aug 2, 10 8:40 AM
I have been wanting to buy this game for awhile now, so snagged it at the DD price. So nice when that happens!

I love point and click adventures like "And Then There Were None" which I found for a certain remote operated game console and have played this genre forever since the 80s when console games became popular. As they say.. need to like using your little gray cells on this one.. but thats why I like it. I think its well worth the 2.99 if you like adventure games or HOGs with a little higher challenge level than most of the beginner types that have been released lately. I like them all and will save this one for a rainy day when I have plenty of time to use my gray cells.

Thanks again BFG... happy to have gotten this one with a little mercy on my poor pocketbook that has sure seen a lot of activity since the HOG drought has turned into nice long steady rain!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 2, 10 10:40 AM
I ended up having to hunt up a walkthru at Gamezebo to finish - from the last hideout scene on. There's not a chance in hell(o) that I'd have figured that out on my own. I really don't like games that do that. But since I was so close to the end when I got so stuck, I just had a couple pages of walkthru to print out to get thru the rest. The last Deduction table (that I had been faking my way thru the whole game), was another place that I would likely not have been able to complete without the walkthru either.

Edited on 08/03/2010 at 2:22:23 AM PST

chillygirl
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by chillygirl on Aug 3, 10 2:19 PM
I found this game MADDENING!! Bought it on DD & glad I didn't pay the full price. Items are not only too small but...can ya get any sketchier on direction???? ...yup! Allll ten! lol

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 9, 10 12:37 PM
I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes game fan and HOGs and IHOGS are my favorites, but this game was just ridiculous! The hidden objects may have well been buried in my back yard. The objects were just too tiny and obscure. The minigames took longer to play than the play to get to the minigames. The instructions on how to play the minigames were not clear and very frustrating. I spent more time in the walk through than on the game itself and that should NEVER be!!

Save your money and PASS on this loser!!!

I ended up trashing it before I finished... I game to relax, not to get my blood pressure boiling!!!

[Post New]by bonniejeanm on Nov 3, 10 9:12 PM
I am not far into this game and really sorry I started it! What a frustrating mess. Can't find clues w/o hints, crappy instructions for puzzles, and now I can't find a walkthrough. This one gets -10 of five stars.

[Post New]by PMSAGAIN on Nov 16, 10 5:21 PM
I have both (2 pc's) 1 XP 1 windows 7. VERY DISAPPOINTED with BFG.
On XP get screen feeze on games. On 7 Can not download this games also a few others..
Myself, I wouldn't spend my money on it. Way too many problems with it.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 22, 10 4:37 AM
Really wanted to enjoy tis game. I love the type and the scenereo.
The graphics/painting are beautifully done. Really gorgous art work. The characters are believable and I loved the gestures the characters used that made them more realistic and less cardboard like. A dev really worked hard on this. The music was devine...very calming while your hunting and pecking. I thought the subject matter "right on" and the story focused and well executed. I have only 1 complaint which will keep me from buying the game, no matter what the price. I items to be found are extremly small, or camophagled (sp) so well that they are impossible to find. You use up your hints immediately and there is no more to come on that scene. That feels a little like the customer is getting punished or something. REally too bad, becaus e I would have paid full price for this game.
Chris

lohr
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by lohr on Dec 11, 10 9:31 PM
I really wanted to play this game. I just finished the Hound of the Baskervilles and it was great. I decided to play this one. Then I remembered. I bought it months ago and did everything I could think to be able to play it and nothing worked. I can't get it to run - freezes. But worse is the resolution. I have really high resolution and it turns out that this game won't or can't change. It says that new resolution will be changed when the game is restarted, but there's no way to do that. Gosh, can't you do something so that I can play it?

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Feb 9, 11 1:48 PM
I had to exit the game during the artists garden scene at the beginning. I couldn't see the cursor changes, into mag glass for eg., without really concentrating hard and the objects were too small to find. I was playing in detective mode.

I like these games and am usually very good at them but my eyesight must be failing

[Post New]by philanna3827 on Mar 5, 11 9:33 PM
This game was frustrating. The items were very hard to find and I used up many hints. I played the casual mode which I thought would be somewhat easy. I did like the music though. Very disappointing.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Oct 18, 11 10:14 AM
What a mixed bag of reviews! I tend to like games that others rag on....think HDO, Tamara and that racist looking ranch game... I'll just get my young husband with perfect vision to look for the teeny tinys for me. Can't wait to find the strand of hair!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 18, 11 1:33 PM
I have a couple of the other Sherlock Holmes games but don't really care for this one.. Too much to read and clidking around.. Even at a DD price I won't be buying it.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 18, 11 2:30 PM
I think I will pass on this one as well.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 18, 11 5:04 PM
Review (of the part of the demo I played)...some objects extremely tiny and too well-blended into the background to find without using a hint. Several times, I had to exit the page then go back to be able to do anything (using up demo time) such as when trying to get to the second site on the map. Click, click, click...nothing - exit, reenter, click, click, click - exit..repeat. Finally was able to enter the scene. I would like to have been able to click through the dialog as I read then had to wait until next comment came up - I just don't like that...maybe I missed how to click through? The scene were I had to click the names of objects in the text just wouldn't "take" until I exited and reentered the scene twice. The graphics in general were good...just could not see some of the items. I really prefer a list of names of objects to find rather than silhouettes. Puzzles so far weren't difficult but the painting was so time-consuming I just skipped it.

Comment: I would loved to play this game but don't have the time or patience it seems I would need.

Freka
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by Freka on Oct 18, 11 8:27 PM
Thanks, wvsandy. You explained why I kept freezing. However, I still won't buy. Just too confusing. Even when I got things right, I didn't know why! There are too many games for me to waste my time and money on one I found this frustrating.

godschild1955
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by godschild1955 on Nov 20, 11 6:17 PM
I had purchased a couple other S.H. games & enjoyed them, but this-find the little tiny matching shadow pics at bottom & if you miss ANYTHING you can not advance, there is no arrows,etc. to go back--all in all I found it SOO Frustrating --- I'm SO sorry I purchased it sight unseen b/c the couple other games were good. NEVER AGAIN!!
And what's with the NO 'Walk Through' ???
SOOO Disappointed...thought all the S.H. games would be alike in format--BE WARNED....THEY ARE NOT!!!!!!
Hate It!

Go to: