Gwen the Magic Nanny

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

Re:Gwen the Magic Nanny

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 2, 10 5:45 AM
SAN8402 wrote:You might see more in the tm forums if they had more than 5 tms a month. I only come to the forum when I am having a problem with a game or to check out what people are saying about a new offering. If the hog forums are getting a good work out then it is obviously because so many people can't play the game without help. That's the reason I don't play hogs, I never can find anything!

most posts on the good hogs are in the review threads not asking for help

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 2, 10 5:54 AM
True, but BF can't always get the rights to distribute til a month or so. Like Strategy, Virtual Villagers was first released by the developer, most enthusiasts went there for full price. By the time, a month, they would sell it at BF for $6.99, most players had already bought it, so the downloads made a very poor showing in the Top 100, altho theVV forums are pretty active here, just not downloaded here. The forum for VVs on the devs site has been highly active for years. I guess it is like birds of a feather cause I went there to post long before BF had a VV forum at all. Of course, they only make about one game a year so we don't expect a new one every day. Lots of lookalikes or clones come here but probably not first day exclusives.

Saturn1985
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by Saturn1985 on Aug 2, 10 6:04 AM
bella81762 wrote:but on the other hand there are people who only buy games thru bfg....so the games being released elsewhere doesnt say much to me.

Well, at least it says that people buy those games there first, period. Or do you want to say that all those sites don't sell any games at all? You can say what you want, but it's only logical that exclusive releases get into the charts easier than non-exclusive ones. Apart from that it is true that a lot of people who prefer time management games now concentrate on other sites where those are released earlier.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 2, 10 6:22 AM
all i am saying is there are a lot of people who wont buy games anywhere else but here....not even playfirst(which is owned by bfg, counts towards punch cards, and has some of the most well known tm games..) me i,ll buy from trusted devolepers as long as they are close in price to here.....fiction fixers and snarkbusters come to mind.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 2, 10 6:29 AM
Well it was really BF developed games that put HOGs on the map. My first one, Huntsville is what brought me to BF to find more, as drew in most hog players to the forums once we got forums. Hogs, ihog adventures are their forte and they keep making a couple a year exclusive for awhile here. I don't know that they ever made a TM did they? There was the early M3 Unwell Mel and Fairway Solitaire as I recall, but they stuck to what they do best. So they already had a huge following for their own games of this genre. Probably why other devs want to release their hogs here, if not first day release, later, and they can make them a lot faster than other types.

I've belonged to 2 other clubs and it felt the opposite, hogs were late comers but the majority of games were TM and arcade. Hardly much market for word games anymore. But, if I couldn't find at least one game a month to buy at BF then there wouldn't be much point in remaining a member. Especially when non members now can also buy at club price. Some play for excitement, some play to relax, maybe it is an age thing. Once you're near or in retirement, not a big taste to go back to work under pressure, at least that's my take.

And I do hope Gwen finds a lot of players who will give her a good home to do her thing, hope the game is a big success.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 2, 10 6:32 AM
My theory is that TM fans are busy playing their games. HOG fans play theirs once then go hang out looking for new ones. Download, gripe, download, gripe, download, play a few hours, download, gripe... (Just a theory... not worth anyone getting their shorts in a wad... )

Saturn1985
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by Saturn1985 on Aug 2, 10 6:43 AM
BFG had some Time Management exclusives, such as Spa Mania, the Megaplex Madness series, the Be Rich series, and Ye Olde Sandwich Shoppe...but they are few and far between...unfortunately, because I enjoyed all of those above

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 2, 10 6:47 AM
Well whether Gwen is a success or not, will not be because it is a TM game- like there are many bad HOGs- not all TM games are equal either.

I beta tested this game a while ago and thought it was ok- I would love to write a review of the final version as I normally do for TM's but my desktop computer is away being upgraded (exciting!) and games don't get a fair hearing on my laptop.

It is getting above average at a popular review site so I look forward to trying it out.
In the meantime I am interested what others have to say about the game.

soymocha
Shark
Shark
11,574 Posts

[Post New]by soymocha on Aug 2, 10 6:53 AM
GM fishies, I'm looking for the review thread for this game... Did I miss it somewhere. I kinda thought that was what this thread was, Guess I was wrong.

[Post New]by Spirit_of_Auron on Aug 2, 10 7:59 AM
Personally I like both TM and Hidden Object. Anyways i came in the forums looking for review comments and to make sure no technical issues had popped up. I always check those out first before I ever download just so I know what to potentially look out for.

Anyways, as for the whole TM slim pickings thing, I've been noticing it's been that way period lately, not a lot of new ones have cropped up anywhere(I check another site that tells what all the latest games released are) Which is kind of sad because while I like to play HoG's a lot, I do like to get a new Time management game every so often. And right now I feel like i must be one of the younger hidden object/time management game players, I'm only 25 lol.

Csgentry
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Csgentry on Aug 2, 10 8:17 AM
Saturn1985 wrote:
bella81762 wrote:but on the other hand there are people who only buy games thru bfg....so the games being released elsewhere doesnt say much to me.

Well, at least it says that people buy those games there first, period. Or do you want to say that all those sites don't sell any games at all? You can say what you want, but it's only logical that exclusive releases get into the charts easier than non-exclusive ones. Apart from that it is true that a lot of people who prefer time management games now concentrate on other sites where those are released earlier.

I personsally prefer TM games. Where are the other sites that TM games are released earlier that you are talking about?

Thanks in advance.

Saturn1985
Minnow
Minnow
286 Posts

[Post New]by Saturn1985 on Aug 2, 10 8:22 AM
Csgentry wrote:
Saturn1985 wrote:

I personsally prefer TM games. Where are the other sites that TM games are released earlier that you are talking about?

Thanks in advance.

I've sent you a pm

Csgentry
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Csgentry on Aug 2, 10 8:37 AM
I've sent you a pm

Thank you

[Post New]by knickknackblue on Aug 2, 10 8:37 AM
I like some TM games, but this one is the cheesiest one I have ever seen. I literally played the game for 6 minutes and I couldn't hit the exit button fast enough!..This is a definite NO BUY for me.

krasniikot
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by krasniikot on Aug 2, 10 8:40 AM
A Review. I liked this game for its graphics. I thought they were fun. And the drag & drop works; it's not as difficult as many drag & drops are. But I finished it in a couple of hours. It only has 7 different families of three levels each.

It was pretty easy & I didn't quite get the "going to the Magical Shop to buy upgrades" part of it as the upgrades didn't really do anything noticeable -- except with the wand you get more spells. I only ever used the "collecting magic points" magnet spell & the "find the hidden objects for me" spell because HOs make me nutty. The rest of the spells seemed unnecessary.

The mini-games were silly & the "tickle" one was irritating so I did my best not to run into those.

I never play games with the sound on but I did with this game because the music & sound effects were also fun, & not annoying.

Too bad it wasn't longer. It doesn't have replay value for me because what's the point? But it was a fun way to spend an afternoon.

Edited on 08/02/2010 at 8:41:20 AM PST

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Aug 2, 10 9:25 AM
doctorgood wrote:
haileesmother wrote:
heatherington wrote:Just thought I would drop by here to see what these forums are like. I know the hidden object forums really get the work out, but apparently there is not a big following of the time management games. What does that tell you?

the only thing ur statement tells me is that there are rude fishies in the pond... it makes me proud to be a TM lover

SPOILER: u posted on a game that has only been out a 1/2 hour/check ur time

Did anyone ever tell you,"it's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice". That was a pretty vicious attack on someone that had really done nothing wrong.......WOW!
Dr.good
WOW!!! I came to this forum to see how tm's are among other players, i am totally with dr.good on this, that was not even cool,just downright MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited on 08/02/2010 at 9:34:41 AM PST

[Post New]by suzieque117 on Aug 2, 10 9:40 AM
I've been a member of BF since 2007 and love TM games but BF hasn't had any good ones for a very long time. I tend to purchase at least 2 games per month but went without purchasing any games for almost 2 months as nothing interested me.

I find TM games last alot longer then most HOG which only tend to last about 4 - 5 hours and feel I get my moneys worth with TM.

There have been times when I've paid full price elsewhere as I just couldn't wait for that TM game to be released by BF.

I must say however, that I did purchase the 3 HOG games recently and although I was very satisfied I still wish BF released more TM games.

Sadly this TM game is not for me.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Aug 2, 10 9:46 AM
Man, things are getting really nasty here! I dropped in on this forum to see if I should try this game and I feel like I stepped into a hornet's nest! Maybe game developers need to come up with a new type of game to let us all just calm down.

deijiara
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by deijiara on Aug 2, 10 1:07 PM
For pities sakes guys, this is not the review forum!

The review forum is the folder looking point a few lines up. This whole thing started as (personal opinion, don't bite my tail off) a poorly worded question trying to figure out what the HoG game forums seemed to be more active then the Tm game forums. Someone, I can't remember who, pinned the tail on the shark when they said the HoG forums are more active because people can't find things or need help more often. Most Tm games don't stump people till about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way through when luck isn't enough and you need a little bit of a plan. And the person who pointed out that most Tm games seem to get their start elsewhere then migrate here also hit the nail on the head. The Virtual Villager games had been out for a week or two before they got here.

And speaking of game sites, anybody know what happened to reflexive games? I go to the site and all I see is a message about how they aren't selling games anymore. I'm a nosy little bugger and I want to know what happened.

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 2, 10 1:10 PM
I'm a big fan of good TM games but the portion of the demo I played didn't do much for me. Visually the game is really cute but I found the gameplay rather uninteresting. Perhaps if I had played for a longer period of time I would feel differently, but this was my first impression.

Go to: