MamaK9
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Brunhilda and the Dark Crystal

[Post New]by MamaK9 on Aug 4, 10 4:31 AM
Hi Fishies!

Obviously, since I'm still a Seahorse, I don't post much, but when I find a game like this one, I feel I absolutely must say something. Yesterday I picked up my new glasses - like doctorgood, I have 62 year old eyes too, LOL, and went from wearing contacts to glasses with 10 "prisms" to correct my left eye and "progressive" lens for reading. All in all, the doc said it would be a few days before my eyes adjusted so what better way to help them than to play games???

Anywho, I downloaded this game, played till the time ran out and I absolutely LOVE it so much I've bought it. Yes, I have to use the magnifying glass most of the time, but they make it so easy with just the right click. The graphics are terrific, the voices have me chuckling and I'm having a ball. There are so many marvelous things going on, I'm just taking my time and enjoying every moment.

Thank you BF - I rate this one

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 4, 10 4:54 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:I remember someone raving about this game. I even signed up to Beta test it. I absolutely hated it, I don't think I even finished the test. I don't remember what I didn't like about it, but I know I didn't like it. I won't even bother seeing if they fixed it.

No go for me.

I won't be buying it either spiritdog - my guess about what you didn't like about it? While it is a cute game, it is maddeningly easy and one young kids would adore. Personally I prefer a game with some challenge and don't much care for "find 15 of this, 6 of that", etc.. and that is all I have seen so far. Granted I only played 34 minutes of demo so far but got bored and went to bed!! I am back up now and off to play more of "Time Dreamer" - now that I can sink my brain into !!

Happy gaming all!!!

P.S. Hope they get "Snark Busters: Welcome to the Club" really soon and don't force me to buy straight from developer

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Aug 4, 10 5:08 AM
This is an ambitious game with spoken dialogue, bright cartoon scenes, lots of hidden objects, no timer, easy and hard modes, charming characters. so why don't I love this game? I guess I do not like the cartoon graphics. Thankfully the dialogue is skippable. The music is annoying. I played almost 1 hour and found myself actually groaning, "Oh No!" when I received another find xx amt. of the same objects. I got bored and that does not happen to me often. It started to feel like a chore to go to different areas to look for items needed to complete the quest. Just too redundant. Also the magnifier is a must as the objects are way too small. Many objects were cleverly hidden which was a plus for me. The game ran smoothly with no lag, was widescreen without problems.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Aug 4, 10 5:10 AM
I'm a little shocked by how long it took BF to get this game here. I bought it awhile back from another site. I did wait for awhile however. I'm doing the same for Snark Busters which I played the demo for, but I don't want to wait weeks for that either. I do think the IHOGs lately have been very good. Elixier is now my all time fav. That was a great, long game. This game is fun as well. Enjoy!

seahorsequeen
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by seahorsequeen on Aug 4, 10 5:17 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:I remember someone raving about this game. I even signed up to Beta test it. I absolutely hated it, I don't think I even finished the test. I don't remember what I didn't like about it, but I know I didn't like it. I won't even bother seeing if they fixed it.

No go for me.
I'm with you, only played a bit but I hated it too and couldn't say why !!

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Aug 4, 10 5:18 AM
I think this is a great game for smart kids who understand humor !
For me, it's a bit too easy..I like the hog with a lot of difficult puzzles better !

Raska

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 4, 10 5:48 AM
I've played 40 minutes of the demo so far. Cute, colorful, fun, well-made, good voice acting. Interesting story and setting so far.

Lots of small items and details, but thankfully, a right-click brings up the magnifying glass. And hints recharge.

Item list shows you if the item is in the room you're in - an excellent feature.

Update: I just finished playing the rest of the demo, and I think I'm going to have to own this one .

Edited on 08/04/2010 at 3:59:21 PM PST

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Aug 4, 10 6:15 AM
Journey_1 wrote:I'm a little shocked by how long it took BF to get this game here. I bought it awhile back from another site. I did wait for awhile however.

Actually, is the first to get this game. The only reputable site with this game available up until now has been the developer, Codeminion. As developer, they reserve the right to sell it exclusively at a higher price point for a while before releasing the game to the masses at $6.99 price point.

I also demoed the game from their site and thought it was beautifully done and of high quality.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 4, 10 6:17 AM
I just have to say, for myself anyway and others enjoying this game, I just don't let things like a character's voice or accent spoil a game for me. I mean, who knows what a fairy of the male gender is supposed to sound like??Cary Grant? And he's just got an attitude, snarky but helpful. In RTR we just read snarkey comments at the top of the screen, some were funny and lightened the mood when needed, other gamers hated the sarcasm. It's only one element of the game.

Frankly I was irritated by that squeeky fairy in Princess Isabella, and the one or pixie in 4 Elements popping in, but I loved those games, didn't let voices and interruptions spoil them for me, terrific in all other areas and fun. Of course, I just sass them and talk back to them LOL. These games ARE interactive aren't they? Heck I even get in arguments with some characters in games. I can't repeat some of the things that I say to my Villagers when they make sounds and faces at me and some really have attitudes. Didn't like the voice in Saqqarah either, but it was the timer that got me back then. Just sayin' there's a lot more to this game than meets the ear. Turn it off and you miss part of the wit. At least what some could call all in good fun humor. That said, back to my game....

[Post New]by Coronagold on Aug 4, 10 6:22 AM
The demon would've been much more fun to listen to had Gilbert Gottfried done the voice.

Anyway, I think this game suffers from a symptom I see in some other HOGs. Mainly, a "do this for me do that for me" format instead of a non-linear discovery-based format, which makes it feel almost like a time management game (shudder). The loading time between chapters are immense. Hard to fathom why, being that it's cartoonish in style. It's not like we're waiting for Halo or WOW to load. I'll spend a credit on it.

sweetsofi
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by sweetsofi on Aug 4, 10 6:29 AM
Glad I didnt buy the game, the objects are way too small, could have been a good game but I wonder why they think that we have XRAY vision.Have a nice day all.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Aug 4, 10 6:32 AM
Wizards and demons and lost magic - oh, my! This is a good game for a child, but I'm not too sure how many adults will like it. It has 2 modes -- casual and adventurous. I played the former so I could move through the scenes quickly and I quickly became bored. The graphics are fantastic and the plot is engaging. But it is so talky! I spent a lot of time clicking through dialogue I found unnecessary. But a child would enjoy the interplay among characters and find the information useful.

The game leaves nothing to the imagination -- every step is indicated. So it is relaxing but not challenging. It is HOGS with the rare mini-game. Scenes are very clear but objects can be difficult to find. In the casual mode, hints refresh very quickly.

What I liked for a child was the fact that the game encourages effort, not just achievement. As you find objects, the demon (one of the central characters and a real hoot!) tells you that you are doing a great job. Great, non-judgemental feedback for a child.

I was VERY bothered by the stereotypes conveyed vocally and visually. The rats -- lower class -- all speak with a Cockney or Asian accent. The unfortunate racial sterotyping that we saw in Star Wars I, II, and III seems to continue here. I would talk with my child as s/he played this game to sensitize them to this aspect.

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Aug 4, 10 6:34 AM
Wow, I don't think I've ever used so many hints in a game, lol. While I'm still undecided about buying it, I found the items sooo tiny, and I'm one who hates having to use a magnifying glass. (which is needed a lot to find the tiny items)
The graphics were great and the hints charged rather fast (good thing). I'm just not sure I'd enjoy the game enough to purchase it.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 4, 10 6:34 AM

No go for me.

They fixed and added quite a few things in the beta process. You just might be pleasantly surprised.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 4, 10 6:40 AM
maggieannie43 wrote:Well this is game is not for me the Demon talking all the time gave me a headache, cannot we be allowed find our own way around without him chipping in; anyone thinking about buying try it first. It is the most annoying game I have come across in a long time hopefully tomorrows game will be better

In options there is a way to mute the demon.

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Aug 4, 10 6:51 AM
tropdechats wrote:......
The game leaves nothing to the imagination -- every step is indicated. So it is relaxing but not challenging. It is HOGS with the rare mini-game. Scenes are very clear but objects can be difficult to find. In the casual mode, hints refresh very quickly.

That's because you played in casual mode. Adventure mode leaves much more for you to determine.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Aug 4, 10 6:55 AM
4mybirds4 wrote:Wow, I don't think I've ever used so many hints in a game, lol. While I'm still undecided about buying it, I found the items sooo tiny, and I'm one who hates having to use a magnifying glass. (which is needed a lot to find the tiny items)
The graphics were great and the hints charged rather fast (good thing). I'm just not sure I'd enjoy the game enough to purchase it.

Well said. After 15 minutes it went to the trashcan...

BoJean
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by BoJean on Aug 4, 10 7:04 AM
I absolutely love this game! I chuckled through the entire first chapter. Thanks for a little light-heartedness!

Diana_Mc
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Diana_Mc on Aug 4, 10 7:18 AM
I also bought it from the developer and have finished it. BFG's offerings were very lame there for awhile.

It was generally a good game and most of the issues have been mentioned - many hunts for tiny objects (I dislike using hints), the demon's comments get really annoying when you're slow . The sparkles are generally useful since the scenes are so packed with detail that it would be very hard to sort out some of the tasks without them. No technical issues at all.

However, the game actually says "The End," although it leaves an opening for a sequel. I am so sick of these 'half-games' that this is enough to make me me upgrade it. See? You can end a game. Take note all you other developers.

It is quite lengthy at 10 chapters too and worked best for me in smaller sections. Of course, if you really hate hidden objects... .

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Aug 4, 10 7:20 AM
to bad they decided to make EVERTHING( including the scenery) itsie bitsie. played for about 10 mins. before I got terrible eye strain and my eyes started watering. This game is a little repetitive but the graphics are cute. But the bottom line is I can't see anything to play and the magnifying glass gets old real quick. This game is a no buy for me.

Go to: