CE vs. Regular again???

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

Re:CE vs. Regular again???

[Post New]by lilyr on Aug 5, 10 12:40 PM
I pick and choose when it comes to CEs. I bought the CE of Dire Grove because I wanted the virtual tour of BFG. I've passed on others that only seem to offer wallpaper & soundtrack options. I think I'll be buying the CE of the seconmd Puppet Show ( yeah, I'm behind. what else is new? ) because it will be nice to have the built-in SG.

I'm still on the fence about Enlightenus. I already have the bonus game, so I'm not sure the CE would be worth it to me.

Dynastia
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Dynastia on Aug 6, 10 9:05 AM
djrum525 wrote:I remember a time when ALL hidden object games were $20. The very first HOG I ever bought and played was Ravenhearst. Retail price at WalMart $19.98. Compare that to Return To Ravenhearst (I pre-ordered at $19.99 plus S&H) and you can see the vast improvement in over-all game content.
The cost for the development of these games is phenomenal. Then to put a $6.99 price tag on it, how are they supposed to recover even some of their expense? So, they offer a CE. Those of us that do want that particuliar game and if finances allow, will buy it. In that way, maybe the casual game developers can continue to make these awesome games for EVERYONE to enjoy (all CE's are released in a standard version 2-3 weeks later).
I don't have a problem with CE's, since that's what I used to pay for a game. I don't buy every CE that's out there. But they are here for a reason and I think we should respect that!

By selling millions of them. Don't worry, most developers of GOOD games are millionaires. BigFish sold more than one billion of games already.

Edited on 08/06/2010 at 10:48:30 AM PST

frannycats
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by frannycats on Aug 7, 10 5:08 PM
puzzledone wrote:Most games when released first by the dev are $19.99 for the basic standard game. If we don't want to buy direct and want it for less we wait til BF gets it, then pay $6.99. How many fishies here already had Brunhilda from the devs, and many other games bought before they were here maybe a month later? They didn't want to wait. That's all.

I agree with you entirely. For several years I bought all my games at a $19.99 game site affiliated with the company I work for. One day I found BFG quite by accident and have never looked back.

Although some of the CEs are better than others, I have not yet been disappointed by any of them. I completed Redemption Cemetary Curse of the Raven last week after some initial problems with the trial version. It was an excellent game with several new, challenging and unique puzzles. I had to skip some of them after awhile, but that was mostly due to my poor eyes, poor reaction times, and impatience to get along with the game.

OTOH, for a week or two I was disappointed with many of the regular-priced game. Downloaded several when we had the $2.99 weekend sale, and quit several of them part-way through out of boredom.

I still find my way back to Settlement: Colossus and play it over and over when I need a break. It was only $6.99, and IMHO, the best computer game ever made.

But I'll definitely spring the $19.99 for Enlightenus II, and hope it is at least as good as the original.

gilesluver
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by gilesluver on Aug 9, 10 11:21 AM
I agree that it would be great if we could use our game credits to pay part of a CE. I also think on the (unlikely) chance that someone HAS 3 game credits, they should be able to use it for the whole thing.

Just IMO.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Aug 9, 10 11:45 AM
Dynastia wrote:
By selling millions of them. Don't worry, most developers of GOOD games are millionaires. BigFish sold more than one billion of games already.

I believe that was DOWNLOADS, not sales. That includes all the demos we try but don't buy.

edited for clarification.

Edited on 08/09/2010 at 11:46:47 AM PST

sweetie58
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by sweetie58 on Aug 9, 10 10:20 PM
I agree everyone knows that bf is making profit already so why charge your club members extra ? Without us there is no BF.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 10, 10 12:08 AM
My decisions whether to wait or buy a CE with SG has more to do with sys req than cost, really. If the objects are small the game is difficult to see on my small laptop with 4 gbs ram. That means I have to run it on my pc with bigger monitor, but it has only 512 ram. If I wait then the SE may not be such a long file. In fact, I have to consider that even for $6.99 releases most the time. So, I have little or none tech problems. I can either buy a CE or wait and pay $14 for SE and SG separate, That way I have run the game on pc and SG on the laptop. All depends on if it is 1) a game of interest, theme etc and then 2) will it be hard to see on laptop if a long file. The only waiting I have to do is after purchase of a $20, not buy many more games on my budget til the next month. I like getting the 3 punches because the free game I get next month with my reward makes me feel I got 7$ off the CE price and only cost me $13. I tend to spend the same on games monthly anyway, so whether they are CE, SE or DDs I just may get fewer games. I've got 2 free coupons not spent yet from July, waiting to see what is coming out, or to make up my mind which to get on the wish list.

I've bought 3 CEs so far,Haunted Manor Lord of Mirrors, Puppet Show 2 Souls of Innocent and Flux Family2, Rabbit Hole. So far comfortable with all my buys and they display with no problems on my 15.6 widescreen laptop. Bought SGs for DG and RTR. Have no qualms how companies structure their pricing nor resentments. One advantage as a consumer waiting is let all the glitches surface before I dive in to those problems.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 10, 10 12:22 AM
Excuse me, but I don't see how BF is charging members extra. Members and non members pay the same prices for games as far as I know. Except DDs, maybe you have to be a member to buy those and they are cheaper @ $2.99 not more And members get free games by filling punchcards. So how are they getting charged more? I guess it is all a matter of perspective and attitude. To each her/his own point of view.

And, if BF is the developer of some CEs, why should they get less for first release than other developers. We get their reg games for $6.99 the day of release. So, I see it as them getting the early $19.99 price the first month just like most others, then it is reduced for BF distribution. Maybe I just see things upside down.

Go to: