cyndyk2
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

Re:Update! New MAC version available for A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets - August 12, 2010

[Post New]by cyndyk2 on Aug 15, 10 5:10 PM
You go to the pond and try to catch the fish with the pole, and THEN you go to the store to buy the fish food; thanks to whoever it was in another thread that posted that help!

Now I've got a NEW problem. : ) I'm trying to create the mushroom ring and I've got the 9 mushrooms, but they are steadfastly refusing to join the 3 already in the Dark Forest. Has anyone else run into this one? Have you figured out how to fix it? Man, this is one tough game! It'll be really nice to get to the end of it ... someday! : )

Thanks for any help, folks.

Re:Update! New MAC version available for A Gypsy's Tale: The Tower of Secrets - August 12, 2010

[Post New]by Thunderboult on Aug 15, 10 10:26 PM
Yes, Crazyisland! Thank you for your tip about making sure all related files are deleted before you reinstall game, and for the specific steps you gave to check the Preferences folder. I thought I had gotten rid of all mine, but went back and found more. As soon as all the old files were gone, when I reinstalled the game on my Mac everything worked fine. I got past the orchard scene and was able to complete the game.

As far as the fish food, cyndyk2, you have to click on the fishing pond in the forest before you will be able to purchase the fish food. This game is very particular in what order you do things, so whenever you get stuck check the walkthrough blog to see what you missed.

Hope that helps!

herisf
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by herisf on Aug 16, 10 6:57 PM
cyndyk2 wrote:I'm trying to buy the fish food from the storeowner and it won't let me. He tells me to look around, and I can click on the fish food, but nothing happens from there; I have plenty of crystals, I know where to use the fish food and I have the other two gems in place in the gazebo, but I cannot get that dratted fish food off the shelf to save my life. Is this another glitch or did I do something out of order? Has anyone else run into this problem, or is it just me? I'd REALLY like to get to the end of this thing eventually! LOL

In the game, you need to know that you need the fish food. So once you try fishing in the pond and are not successful, *then* you can buy the food. The same is true for all the puzzles - you have to have a reason to go buy or look for the item.

[Post New]by Curly6 on Aug 18, 10 3:13 AM
I have uninstalled the old game and reinstalled the game as the instructions said but I do not need to put in the activation code as the instructions asked. The game just starts on its own, and then I am still frozen in the orchard in the exact same place. I do not think I am getting the game with the "fix" version. In other words, you "fix" doesn't fix anything. Please try again.

cyndyk2
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by cyndyk2 on Aug 18, 10 12:02 PM
curly6, see crazyisland's post on page 1 about removing the library listing from your Mac preferences, too; that's what was blocking me from getting the fix from properly installing everytime I re-installed the game from my purchase history. Once I did that, I had no problem. In fact, I just played the game all the way through a second time last night with no glitches at all -- what a delight that was! : )

Hey, I'm a jellyfish now! HAHAHA Cool.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 18, 10 7:56 PM
Does anyone know this? If you finished the demo but didn't get to the Orchard or have any crashes, do you still have to trash the preference file before playing again?

Thanks!

cyndyk2
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by cyndyk2 on Aug 19, 10 11:03 AM
If you're buying the game, I would do a clean install, including dumping your preferences, and change your profile name, just to make sure you DO have the new fix; this has been a really tricky issue for a lot of people. Since I got rid of the library file and re-installed from the new fix, I haven't had any more problems, so that was the one that was messing me up. I played the game all the way through twice with new profile names without any glitches at all; haven't yet tried to repeat the game using the same profile, but will try that soon and see how that goes. Once more unto the breach, and all that... : )

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 19, 10 11:39 AM
cyndyk2 wrote:If you're buying the game, I would do a clean install, including dumping your preferences, and change your profile name, just to make sure you DO have the new fix; this has been a really tricky issue for a lot of people. Since I got rid of the library file and re-installed from the new fix, I haven't had any more problems, so that was the one that was messing me up. I played the game all the way through twice with new profile names without any glitches at all; haven't yet tried to repeat the game using the same profile, but will try that soon and see how that goes. Once more unto the breach, and all that... : )

Thanks -- I was hoping not to lose my progress, but yours is good advice.

cyndyk2
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by cyndyk2 on Aug 19, 10 4:05 PM
I played the game again today using the same profile as last night, and I DID get all the way through, but several times I experienced brief freezes where my screen went black momentarily. I don't know if this was because of using the same profile more than once, or something else, but this game seems to be on the buggy side and I think it makes sense to clean out preferences and do a fresh installation before playing it EACH time. Yes, it's a pain, but unless you've quit partway through the game, it may save your sanity. Once you've played it all the way through a time or two, you can get through it in less than two hours so that's not the horrible advice it seems at first blush. : )

[Post New]by 7notrumpxx on Aug 26, 10 5:10 PM
My game stops at the orchard. How do I reinstall the new game....I got rid of the previous game

[Post New]by 7notrumpxx on Aug 26, 10 5:13 PM
HELP> I freeze at the orchard. Either send my money back, give me credit or send an improved game that doesn't freeze at the orchard.....7notrumpxx@gmail.com

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Aug 26, 10 7:14 PM
7notrumpxx wrote:HELP> I freeze at the orchard. Either send my money back, give me credit or send an improved game that doesn't freeze at the orchard.....<snip>

Hello 7notrumpxx! You may want to remove your email address from your post. This is an open forum, searchable on the internet, and you don't want that info going out to just anyone.

To uninstall this game:
Remove all versions of the game from your hard drive (desktop, application folder, download folder, etc).
Next, go to Finder
Go to Library folder
Go to preferences folder.
There will be a folder for this game there under "A Gypsy's Tale": delete that folder.
Go to the "BigFishGames" folder.
There will be another subfolder called "Gypsys Tale": delete that folder.
Empty your trash.
Go to your Purchase History here on BF and reinstall the game.
Create a new profile to start playing a new game.

If you're still having problems with the game, click on the green envelope along the right side of any forum screen to contact customer support.

Hope this helps!

[Post New]by Heaven23mom on Jul 17, 11 2:50 PM
I am having the same problem with the fish food, I have tried everything I know but it still will not let me buy it. I have 185 crystals so that's plenty to buy it but it will not let me buy the dang fish food... GRRRRRR!!!

[Post New]by TheBrain1 on Sep 5, 11 7:25 PM
I have uninstalled and reinstalled still got missing stuff on dark forrest

[Post New]by Debbiedior on Nov 9, 12 9:24 AM
I've actually got past all of the previous mentioned problems ! It telling me I've completed all tasks got all crystals apart from 2 areas but it won't let me carry on . All it keeps doing is giving me the deeds again and I give them to ghost but I've already had the key ages ago ? all I ned is to get the dress from the wardrobe and it won't let me ? Nothing is working

Go to: