KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

Re: The Magician's Handbook II: BlackLore - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Aug 14, 10 5:23 PM
I hesitated to try this game, because of all the negative reviews, but I thought it sounded interesting so gave it a try. Well, I bought it when the demo time ran out. Even though some of the objects are tiny and hard to find, I didn't think it was as hard as some others I had tried , and once the hints run out, the reveal recharges fairly fast, so you are never without hints if needed, and the puzzles can be skipped. I like being able to open the treasure chests with the keys hidden in the various scenes, and though the graphics could be better, some of the scenes are very interesting and atmospheric. There are a lot of interesting little touches like the flying books, and the ghosts in the classroom.
At this point, about halfway through the game, I am glad I purchased it. Hopefully it doesn't get any harder towards the end, because it is very challenging for a novice like me, but it isn't impossible.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Aug 14, 10 9:15 PM
I was hesitant also, but loved it as soon as I tried it, and bought it right away. I didn't find the objects too difficult to find, and I prefer a little challenge in that area compared to some more recent games with everything in plain view. I think the graphics have a lot of charm and nice colors and animations. This game definitely has a different feel. Very nice, and seems to be a great DD bargain.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 14, 10 11:42 PM
Wow - this game is long! It's rare we can say that, huh? I have been playing off and on ALL DAY LONG!! I think I am at the end of Chapter 7 now - taking another break. I have stayed in each chapter to find all of the objects, have used 3 Reveals and had to consult the walkthrough once (I usually don't do that, but some of these puzzles are... well, puzzling but have just taken my time and have been like a patient Pitbull - getting thru each chapter) This is soooo worth 2.99!! A lot of the objects are small and or well hidden and some of the keys are real doozies to find (I think I finally had to give up on one key but have found the rest). So far A+ on each and every chapter... I just had a great time today with this one.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 15, 10 2:03 AM
After downloading it I pressed the "Buy now" button instead of the other one ! I thought, well at 2.99 I may just as well carry on, so I bought it without a trial and I don't regret it. Very nice game, objects are not too easy to find, graphics fine, back to play it !

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 15, 10 2:50 AM
ilikegame wrote:After finishing the demo, I purchased the game without any hesitation.

The difficulty is above the average... my favour!

I guess the graphic is 3D, and thus very difficult to find the objects if you view them as 2D.

When I read other comments in this forum, it seems this game has a great replay value. Can't wait to see the whole story!

Good job, BF!

I'm not too sure the graphics are 3D. I went into my NVidia settings and it is not one of the software listed on my computer that is 3D capable. I also don't see an option in the game options whether you want to use 3D or not. If you have any more info about this, please let us know....

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Aug 15, 10 3:21 PM
I don't think I've ever played a more frustrating game in my life. This is SO close to being an excellent game but the graphics are blurry, dim, small and there just isn't enough delineation of objects within an entire area composed of various shades of the same color. The partial outline of a white beetle on a white surface... I mean, come on.

I can see the effort the developer put into this and I appreciate all his hard work but I won't ever buy another one of his games unless his graphics improve.

neola
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by neola on Aug 15, 10 9:08 PM
Even with small, and well hidden , objects, I think this game was a total steal as a DD. Even for $7 it's a fantastic deal. Obviously, I haven't been playing it non-stop, but I've been at it for a bit every day since it was a DD and am enjoying the heck out of it. And if the other postings are correct, it's pretty much a new game if you replay it. Can't beat that. I haven't had any of the problems some folks have mentioned - fuzzy graphics, pixelation and such. Yep, some of the objects are hard to find, and those keys can be a bear, but it's a game and, if everything were easy to locate, there would be other complaints. Oh, yes, it's also the 1st 'puter game that I remember where being able to read music REALLY came in handy, tho it probably frustrated some folks. Anyway, great game and very much worth every penny.

Ariztokat
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

Awww...

[Post New]by Ariztokat on Aug 15, 10 9:44 PM
What a sweet little game this is! And I do mean LITTLE! With such great graphics and storyline, I only wish I could play for longer than 30 minutes at a time. The tiny objects give me a headache looking for them.

I really do like it a lot, though, and am not sorry at all that I bought it.

neola
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by neola on Aug 16, 10 1:34 PM
WOW! Finally finished it. The fairy statue pieces are even harder than the keys. Did anybody else feel like herding all the flying books into the lab and feeding them to the flytraps?

wunder
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by wunder on Aug 16, 10 3:16 PM
Really liked Handbook I, tho not real impressed with graphics (even after changing video settings). Bought Handbook II, made it (slowly) through Level 6, got such a headache not even interested in finishing. Great premise, just lousy graphics. I know, I'm still an anemone 'cause I don't post much so ppl may not listen to me, but really disappointed that graphics have not improved in this game.

Thanks to all the Fishies out there who do post - I rely on your opinions a bunch!! And you've never steered me wrong!

xssa
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by xssa on Aug 20, 10 12:05 AM
neola wrote:WOW! Finally finished it. The fairy statue pieces are even harder than the keys. Did anybody else feel like herding all the flying books into the lab and feeding them to the flytraps?

no, but only because i didn't think of it. now i wish i could.
the game was annoying but enjoyable. i don't know, i had to play in small parts, becuase some of the puzzles were a bit too challenging. and some of the items are hidden too well, and i want to punch the person that said they finished this game in thirty minutes. well, playfully punch, maybe, as i don't condone violence normally. most of the puzzles i got, couldn't say for sure why i didn't like the game more. maybe, as people improve, the harder to find objects are needed, but right now, the keys were a bit too hard to find sometimes, and not all the treasure chests worth opening.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 30, 10 1:30 PM
I have to agree with some of the others. Maybe I just don't have the patience today to play this game, but I stopped playing the demo after 11 minutes. The objects were just too small and the graphics too blurry. I skipped most of the storyline, which having the ability to skip was nice, and even what I read I wasn't really into. Glad others found it enjoyable, but I will be skipping even as a DD.

[Post New]by stephanie482 on Aug 30, 10 1:43 PM
Just demo'd, having every intention of absolutely hating this game. After all the iHOG games with tricky puzzles and inventories, I figured a straight HOG game with limited puzzles would bore me to tears in the first five minutes. Boy, was I wrong.

I played the full demo (which I never do) because I completely lost track of time. When my hour was up, I had just started the puzzle on Chapter 3. Judging by the walk-thru, that means about four hours of gameplay for me if the difficulty stays the same, and longer if the number of hidden objects to find per chapter increases.

There's a timed mode (yay!) and a casual mode for those of you who don't want to be rushed. There's also a "short and sweet" option for those who don't enjoy tons of dialogue and story.

The game consists of several different hidden object scenes per chapter, as well as a final chapter puzzle and (so far, at least) a sort of split screen "spot the difference" game, except instead of just spotting the difference, you actually have to put the missing items where they belong, using the top picture as a guide. I wasn't crazy about that one, as the top picture was black and white and the picture where you place the items, as well as the items themselves, were color.

Graphics aren't great. Kind of fuzzy around the edges, nowhere near "crisp and clear," but for the most part, it doesn't interfere with my enjoyment of the game. Music is okay - I didn't have to turn it off like I do with most games.

Warning: This game contains tiny, tiny objects that will occasionally cause you to put your nose to the screen and sit there, looking like an idiot, while your husband and kids point and laugh at you. You'll look so intensely for the small things that after a scene or two, you can no longer find the BIG things. I spent at least ten minutes and finally had to use a hint to find a boat that took up a good quarter of my screen. Sheesh.

All in all, it's a fun game. Can't quite put my finger on what MAKES it fun, because it really is just a straight HOG game. I'd buy it for $6.99, but I won't argue with the $2.99 price tag. Off to spend my last $3 for the week...glad Friday is payday!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Aug 31, 10 2:57 PM
The graphics are not clear and the objects way to small. Even when I asked for a hint, I couldn't see the object. Not worth $2.99.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Aug 31, 10 4:24 PM
Icky!! The graphics aren't the best. The art is marginal. The objects are dark and hard to see. Much less finding the keys. If you get headaches from some of the games, DON"T play this one. Even though, I had a headache in under a half hour, I finished the demo. I had hoped it would get better. It didn't. I did like that you could choose which opening "Short and Sweet" or "Long and drawn out"; however, event that can't raise this one's grade. The story isn't that new or done with a new twist. Just free the faires and stop the big evil. Yawn!! This game is in dire need of a revamp. I was highly disappointed with the hint system as when I was doing the frozen temple puzzle, it kept showing me the music notes....not exactly helpful. I played that set over and over and with 4 bells it is hard to do 5 decending notes. Finally I skipped it and got a C grade for my added frustration. The puzzles were not well explained and the instructions were less than thorough. It was a sad mess.

I would say a D, and don't buy.

Edited on 08/31/2010 at 4:26:27 PM PST

[Post New]by Linda_in_Aussie on Aug 31, 10 7:33 PM
This is a for me... even as a $2.99 DD. Objects too small and something about the atmosphere bugged me. Played it for about 15 mins and wasn't enjoying the game play at all so its uninstalled. Maybe because it's "too spooky" as well. My first choices are always games like the Dream Day Weddings, Flux Family, etc and am really enjoying Snark Busters right now because of the bright atmosphere.

The concept of this game is good though so can imagine some would really like it and disagree with me.

[Post New]by gposchman on Sep 1, 10 7:46 PM
What a shame. There is such a great concept, yet so poorly executed. The only saving grace is I only paid 2.99 for the game. I had hopes for the graphics initially, but the hidden object backgrounds have potential, but the game rooms are way too cluttered and the objects are way too murky.

I do not have a problem with clever hidden objects as long as they are findable, but when I go through the hints in a single screen, it's too much. This may be the first game I do not finish.

Puzzles are unclear and I find myself skipping them from frustration. It has a great map, Backgrounds have potential, and the story line is more than adequate, though thin, but a lot of games are. The music and sound effects are okay.

It comes down to graphics, and I will be cautious before I get another game from this developer, and if I do it will have to be on a discount before I try again.

Gene

NaomiGrace
Flounder
Flounder
2,220 Posts

[Post New]by NaomiGrace on Sep 2, 10 6:09 AM
I made it through about 10 minutes and I am going to uninstall even fof $2.99 this is a "no buy" for me -- which is saying a lot -- but who wants eye problems and headaches from something that's supposed to be fun. Then I couldn't concentrate with the flying books -- was looking for arrows or something to shoot them!!!!

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Sep 2, 10 6:57 AM
Graphics, graphics, graphics. I so want to like this game,
but only being able to play for really short amount of
time without a headache just destroys the enjoyment
I get from getting lost in a game.

Please make the next one not so fuzzy.

xidcrikit
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by xidcrikit on Sep 2, 10 11:28 PM
I agree with several people, graphics are marginal @ best. Which makes finding the objects difficult. Most of the objects are also small, especially the keys. But not a bad game for $2.99. Takes some work. Game not on par with Painted tower,( which I realize is a different genre) or other hidden object games, but again for 3 bucks not bad.

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 11:30:06 PM PST

Go to: