shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Robin's Quest: A Legend Born

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 19, 10 3:37 AM
goofyduck77 wrote: ... I know I'm repeating myself, and maybe I'm just a raving moron in not being able to figure out these ihogs, especially when other reviews say all kinds of things about how easy it is and not enough of a challenge and didn't like the "hand-holding." ...

You are NOT a moron goofyduck77. No way, I think different people's brains work in different ways; for example some people were great at Math (not me) in school and had trouble with another subject and yet the opposite was true for another person. See what I mean??

I have tried some of those LF Adventure games a lot of players here rave about and I get ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE - I would love to play those games but just don't have the knack for it apparently.

So good luck with tomorrow's game offering!! Remember, the point in playing casual games is to have fun, not to compare yourself to others and definitely not to "beat yourself up"!!!!

shadowfax

P.S. Ah, excellent suggestion CasualGran

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 3:38:48 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 19, 10 3:40 AM
I had been anxiously awaiting this GOGII-published game since I saw a preview several days ago--purchased it from their site--now it's on BFG--oh well. Those of you who could wait until today, I say "wait no longer!"

Where do I begin? OK, the intro seemed a bit herky-jerky, but the "arrow" flew straight into an awesome menu screen which gives some nice options (including choice of cursors). Select all the volume levels too. The music makes me want to visit a medieval fair and jousting tournament--it's WAY appropriate for the scenery (think "King Arthur and Knights and Damsels").

The graphics are really artistic (if sometimes a bit cartoonish), the sound effects will make you want to keep your speakers on, and the voice acting is superb. To me, hidden objects are "perfectly" hidden (just right), and the (so far) puzzle screens are a decent challenge. For those of you who like the ultimate challenge though, this may not measure up--there is considerable (to quote an earlier astute poster) "hand-holding" ("sparklies") throughout--doesn't detract, just may make the game play a bit shorter when you've got a road map. (And no, goofyduck77--you're no "moron"--I too like my hand held occasionally.)

I've always thought that GOGII gave us great games and this is no exception--FIVE stars!

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 3:48:28 AM PST

worthy
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by worthy on Aug 19, 10 3:41 AM
Thanks Spirit Dog,

I began to think I was missing something. I felt I was being led by the nose and found it rather annoying. Won't be buying this one.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 19, 10 3:53 AM
worthy wrote:Thanks Spirit Dog,

I began to think I was missing something. I felt I was being led by the nose and found it rather annoying. Won't be buying this one.

Me too!!

Were you both playing in Advanced Mode? I kept thinking maybe I was in Casual Mode by accident???

P.S. I guess it's obvious that I REALLY wanted to love this game....

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 3:54:28 AM PST

Catghost
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Catghost on Aug 19, 10 3:55 AM
Well, just finished it on advanced (or adventurer?). Took me about 2,5 hours. Had high hopes for this game, the demo was fun, but the rest of the game for me was about as challenging as making a cup of coffee. Exorcist took me way longer and (with no walkthrough) was much more challenging. Going to give you my pros and cons:

- nice graphics
- excellent voice-acting
- having to find the 'wanted' posters was fun (still missing 1)
- looking for the stashes of gold was fun
- music was nice and relaxing
- nice storyline

- it took me not long enough to finish
- minigames (or 'puzzles' as they were called) were way to easy for me
- I found myself frowning on the objects I had to find. Most of the things didn't even exist in those days (like wrenches...). And there was a 'puzzle' to solve on a GLOBE. In those days it was common knowledge that the earth was FLAT.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy this game, for the time it lasted. And I know that we all play at a different pace. What is easy for some is a challenge for others and vice versa. If you enjoyed the demo, by all means, buy the game. It sure isn't a waste of money/credits. Enjoy!

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 19, 10 4:00 AM
I did about half the demo in "advanced" and half in "casual" modes and didn't find any difference at all. Like Shadowfax, I wondered if I hadn't accidentally chosen "casual" both times. So...I'd still love to know what difference, if any, there is.

I think there is a ton to like about the game. It has a strong, well-paced story, nice visuals, and a few features I've never seen in an IHOG before, such as the ability to buy things at a market. But I also agree with everyone above who complains that it is all too easy. To be honest, fairly easy hidden object scenes don't bother me in the least. But the game has a lot of nice bits that, for me, are slightly ruined by hand-feeding me every solution. I suppose if I expected it to be a hidden object game with playable story points then I wouldn't be disappointed, but since it has puzzle & adventure trappings I hoped for more. And it's a little saddening when what was released as the beta sounds at least a little better.

No criticism intended here of those who find this challenging or perfect or whatever. There certainly are game types that I can't cope with at all! But for me this game looks like a case of "what might have been..."

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Aug 19, 10 4:06 AM
There is nothing new and exciting about this game but its a pleasant eye appealer plus the voice overs and music are pretty good.

It certainly is worth the $6.99 I paid this morning as it has lasted as long as a comparable movie and it was more fun than a passive movie experience.

out of 5

Edited on 08/19/2010 at 4:33:26 AM PST

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 19, 10 4:07 AM
I'll admit I do like the "Area Clear" signs though!

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Aug 19, 10 4:10 AM
Well, after reading so many positive comments, I hate to not be positive, so I'll say it's a GREAT game - but for those who don't want much of a challenge.

I played the demo for a while and decided I don't care for it. It's too easy, more of a game for those who just like HOG of any kind, or younger ages who have plenty of hints to help them along. Not enjoyable for me.

I don't care for cartoonish characters and sets, either. I like more 3D, in-depth graphics. But they all can't be the same, so good gaming for those who love this one!

[Post New]by chris122049 on Aug 19, 10 4:20 AM
I loved this game. Played the demo from the original site and couldn't wait for it to get to Big Fish.

Some parts of it are really easy but other parts like trying to figure out how to get the two missing bars in the puzzle with words and bars requires some thinking and exploring. For me, this is just the right amount of difficulty. It's amusing (love the characters) and makes me think but in a very relaxed way. It's pleasant to wander around the different areas, too.

For me, it's thumbs up and I used my punch card credit right away to get it!

[Post New]by outhval on Aug 19, 10 4:27 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I had such high hopes . . . loved it - soooooo leery of adventure/ihogs and have had lots to say about them as many fishies know, but loved the graphics, the story, the dialogue, the music, all of it. And I was going along swimmingly until -- oops, STUCK! Yet another ihog that I thought I would love and I'm dead in the water without a walkthrough. And I hate walkthroughs. I took somebody's advice with Mystery Diary and used the Windows key and went back and forth - found the screwdriver, switch to w/t. Found the magnet, switch to w/t, etc., etc., etc. Not fun, no matter how easy it was to minimize and maximize the game.

So I'm at the market and the hint just fizzles at me. I threw the fish into the scale and nothing.

Anyway, if BF comes out with a walkthrough, I might see if I can at least finish the demo, but it doesn't look too good right now. I know I'm repeating myself, and maybe I'm just a raving moron in not being able to figure out these ihogs, especially when other reviews say all kinds of things about how easy it is and not enough of a challenge and didn't like the "hand-holding." HOLD MY HAND! PLEASE!!!

And so I wait yet another day for a game I can play, enjoy, and buy for future fun.

[Post New]by outhval on Aug 19, 10 4:34 AM
With the fish on the scale you have to find more than one further on in the game. The fizzing is when there is nothing to find, but you don't loose your hint. When you have found all the posters and pardons it's flagged Area Complete, so at least you know you haven't missed anything. Just make sure you do plenty of clicking or you miss the fireflies or the odd things to pick up (cursor changes to a hand) or you move something out of the way to pick up a poster or pardon. There's a walkthrough now, so don't give up, it gets quite interesting further into the game. Also you hang on to some items for quite sometime before you can use them, then you have to backtrack when you finally think some item will work. As you get character's their pardons they then give you help in certain places. Keep at it, it's one of the best this month!

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on Aug 19, 10 4:35 AM

Beautiful!

Excellent craftsmanship from the makers of this game!

The obvious time and dedication to making a quality product is very much appreciated by this fishie!

I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the demo.

This is a definite buy for me.

Angel

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Aug 19, 10 4:36 AM
What a lovely, lovely game. So beautiful and relaxing. So far into the demo have not gotten stuck and have not wandered around aimlessly.
the graphics are so bright and clear.
I am off to buy.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 19, 10 4:43 AM
I still might buy as there is so much I like about the game. But I'm waiting to at least find out if there is anything different about "advanced" mode or if they are going to add an "advanced" mode to go with the choice. Am I foolish to hope? Yes, probably.

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Aug 19, 10 5:12 AM
thanks for all the reviews. based on the number of comments about how easy it is (puzzles and hand-holding) I won't be getting this. I haven't tried the demo but I know I do not like games that tell you everywhere to go and everything to do.

I just finished Echoes: Castle and it was excellent because there wasn't any hand holding in the adventure aspect OR the puzzles. (Of course the forum was full of complaints about that!! ) Everyone has different things they want in a game and I generally prefer harder iHOGS.

I also don't usually care for "funny" games or cartoon characters (although there are exceptions, like Steve the Sheriff).

I might try the demo just to see, but it's unlikely I will buy, based on the above.

Thanks again, guys.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 19, 10 5:28 AM
Slite wrote:I still might buy as there is so much I like about the game. But I'm waiting to at least find out if there is anything different about "advanced" mode or if they are going to add an "advanced" mode to go with the choice. Am I foolish to hope? Yes, probably.

That makes two of us - I totally agree with you. Maybe if more people feel this way and post, who knows?? We can always hope....

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Aug 19, 10 5:37 AM
I really loved this game, I didn't think I would at first, but I quickly got into this game and had a wonderful time with it. The voice overs were right on and the game was pretty easy to follow once I got the hang of it. It has a decent length too, well, for me anyway. It took me about 5 hours and I just took my time. I had fun with the archery tournaments, they were just my speed, so to speak All in all, a great game and I plan on playing it again. As for the "hand holding" I did not find that to be so.

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Aug 19, 10 5:41 AM
Krissywillow, please try the demo so you can add your name to the Shadowfax/Slite petition!

And yeah, I've liked the Echoes of the Past series also -- just challenging enough to be fun.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Aug 19, 10 5:48 AM
After playing the demo, I am really undecided about purchasing this game. It is charming -- the period atmosphere is great, and the dialogue! I especially appreciated the Shakespearean guards who sarcastically talk about a system they are part of but cannot support. But the game is sooooooo easy. I played in the advanced mode and was very disappointed to find every move telegraphed for me. If you run the cursor over an area, everything you need to do is indicated. There is no need to think. And the "area clear" note made sure I knew it was safe to move on. I also found the mini-games very easy. Yet the game is so charming! The graphics are wonderful and the HOG scenes are clear -- no strain for aging eyes. But also not very challenging.

A great game for someone new to HOGS and for someone who wants a restful, enjoyable game. I'm just not sure I want/need to own it.

Go to: