joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

Re: Lost Secrets: Bermuda Triangle - Today's DD - Reviews and Comments

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 22, 10 12:42 PM
I can't believe I've been playing this game for several Hours!!

After purchase, it started me at the beginning, and I thought,
oh well, just catch up to where I was when the demo ended.
We had a storm and I found this just the plain and simple HOG I was
in the mood for. Nothing hard and although there is quite a bit of reading,
I found I was enjoying the tale. Turning out to be a real gem of a
buy for me. I'm sure boring for some, but made for a "veg out" pleasant
Sunday afternoon for me. Took hunger to get me to take a break.

Strixi
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by Strixi on Aug 22, 10 1:27 PM
This is perfect for a rainy, dark, Sunday afternoon. Not too difficult, definitely an old-school HOG, and the story is cute. I can pick up some tension between the heroine and the captain. Hmmmm...

I love, love, LOVE the music--acoustic guitars and a little bit of synthesizer. Very relaxing, like you'd listen to it while basking in the sun on a catamaran. It fits the game.

Overall, it's a nice change of pace from complex IHOGs and large-file games that have you going from scene to scene and back again. I enjoy those, too, but something about this one is soothing.

Plus, I have a little quirk. In the second scene, in the lower left part of the screen, is a scruffy little baby Alexandrine parakeet. I've seen this bird in soooo many HOGs, and I wonder where the picture is from. Could be stock, but I like to imagine that there's a game artist out there who has an Alexandrine. I had one (lives with my ex now), and my boyfriend has one, so whenever I see a game with that little bird, I have a moment of squee.

dancebear
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by dancebear on Aug 22, 10 1:39 PM
Not a great game. Might have been worth 2.99 but not any more than that. However when it froze up and I lost my progress that was enough for me. Not buying this one.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Aug 22, 10 1:54 PM
Junk pile HOG with a lousy hint button system. Not only does it penalize you for clicking too much, you have to be quick like a bunny when using it or your time expires! ( a word to the developer; not good.....no, no.......not good at all. Quite a few of us are retirement age and won't sit around waiting on your hint button to recharge. If you want to reprimand somebody do it somewhere else.) Not interested.....keep it.
Dr.good

Aka21
Flounder
Flounder
2,025 Posts

[Post New]by Aka21 on Aug 22, 10 2:32 PM
Traditional hidden object game. For me, the music was fine. I don't care for the hot/cold hint method. Don't like to be penalized for too many clicks. Characters are a bit "snarky" .

That being said, I am buying the game. The way I look at it, if I get more time and enjoyment out of a $2.99 game than I would a hamburger for the same price, I figure I'm way ahead.

jeanniemouse
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,337 Posts

[Post New]by jeanniemouse on Aug 22, 10 2:52 PM
This is actually a charming little game, and I'm really enjoying the story line. Yes, it's simple but I'm operating on a laid-back frequency today. And I'm a gamer who actually enjoys reading, so the very things that are irritating some members are really appealing to me. I'd encourage other Fishies to try this; the price is right and, as Aka21 pointed out, you'd pay more for a hamburger than this!

MESSYBESS
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MESSYBESS on Aug 22, 10 4:40 PM
I can't get the trial to run. It gives me the epilogue; then returns to main menu. The same thing happens if I skip the epilogue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, but no luck!! Should I just forget it??

MESSYBESS

crystalstorm
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by crystalstorm on Aug 22, 10 6:16 PM
gimmegames wrote:I just played 45 minutes of the demo, and I am totally sold. This straight HOG is no 3 dollar slouch by any means. The music is sooooo beautiful, and the rest of the sound environment as well. The graphics quality is top notch too. It's certainly a must try - and definitely with the sound on.
This is my first time using a quote, don't know if it will turn out right. I just finished the full demo and was disappointed my time was up. I also think the music was great and relaxing. I agree it is a straight HOG but a very good one. I have read most comments and many talk about the amount of reading.My response to that is at least they give the opportunity to skip entirely or move through it at your own pace, something producers are still not including in some of the newer games but I thought the storyline added alot to the game. As for the junk piles at least for themost part they were condusive to the game. I purchased as soon as I was finished as it is a good game when you just want to relax your mind. Thanks BF

Edited on 08/22/2010 at 6:27:31 PM PST

kymbeee
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kymbeee on Aug 22, 10 6:29 PM
It has crashed twice on me now. Unfortunately it didn't crash when running the demo, only after I bought it... but then of course I bought it when I was only 8 minutes in, lol.

The second crash I lost all the progress I'd made through the last several scenes, that was ridiculously discouraging. Started it up again and it crashed again. Just uninstalled and reinstalled it (though I don't have much faith in that) so we'll see what happens now.

kymbeee
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kymbeee on Aug 22, 10 6:55 PM
kymbeee wrote:It has crashed twice on me now. Unfortunately it didn't crash when running the demo, only after I bought it... but then of course I bought it when I was only 8 minutes in, lol.

The second crash I lost all the progress I'd made through the last several scenes, that was ridiculously discouraging. Started it up again and it crashed again. Just uninstalled and reinstalled it (though I don't have much faith in that) so we'll see what happens now.

Uninstall/reinstall didn't work. The only solution I've found is to exit out the game entirely after every scene to ensure that it gets saved. So far the submarine mini-game (which doesn't work properly to begin with) is what seems to crash it.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Aug 22, 10 7:46 PM
gamegirl, evidently you didn't read the instructions - Yes the word flashes but the cursor changes from blue (cold) to red (hot) when you move it around the screen.. before you dis a game you should at least pay a little attention to the instructions....

gamergirl675 wrote:
gimmegames wrote:I just played 45 minutes of the demo, and I am totally sold. This straight HOG is no 3 dollar slouch by any means. The music is sooooo beautiful, and the rest of the sound environment as well. The graphics quality is top notch too. It's certainly a must try - and definitely with the sound on.

Did we play the same game?!

Oh forgot to say... I used a hint just to end one of the hog scenes faster as I was bored and... wait for it... wait... guess what it did?? It made the word in the list FLASH!!! Yep you read that right... the WORD IN THE LIST... and that was the hint. So apparently they think we needed a hint to tell us that what we need to do, when searching for the very last object and have found all the rest, is to remind us of the name of the item we are searching for. Well, allrighty then.

But glad you enjoyed it gimme... I think I'm just spoiled from all the great games I've played lately.

ETA: Ok someone said the flashing as a hint means you're near the item... like the old hot/cold game. Not my thing. I rarely use hints so when I do I just want to be shown the item and be done with it. But someone else may like this. Oh on the storyline... I LOVE storylines... in fact it's one of my main requirements to define a good game. But to me this one read like a bad novel. JMO of course.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Aug 22, 10 9:31 PM
I like dialog, so I thought I'd see for myself. Downloaded, installed, won't open. Just a bunch of screen flashes. Getting really tired of this and the "access error" crashing my new and supposedly updated computer. Time to scream for Big Fish techies, since I noticed lots of complaints earlier of people having the same problem with the game. Cranks me off when I miss a DD because of it!

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Aug 22, 10 9:42 PM
Great game for a beginner. Lovely graphics, soothing music. The dialogue reads like a corny "unlikely" love story, but it is easier to take than some I've had to put up with. Still I'm going to pass on this, though I would not discourage anyone who enjoyed the demo not to buy. It's just that this game is too similar to others I have that will do nicely when I want something simple and uncomplicated. So as a DD it's not a bad choice at all.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Aug 22, 10 9:58 PM
This is a total no brainer at even the DD. Probably great for a first time Hogger. A no buy for me.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Aug 22, 10 11:16 PM
I played the demo a long time ago, and enjoyed it. So when it popped up today, I played the demo again. I don't like straight HOGs at all anymore, but will sometimes buy one if the story really entertains me, and this one does! Fortunately the HOG scenes are very easy, and I didn't need any hints.

I love the music! Very suited to the different scenes. The graphics are good, and I like the sonar sounds when you find the objects. I don't like romances, but the tension between Captain Sal and Rachel is pretty interesting. Snarky? Oh, yeah. But it is FUNNY snark, like Brunhilda.

I don't find it too much to read at all! And I don't think it is in any way a kiddie game, so the reading level ought to be just fine.

Yep, it's pretty easy, but it is kind of a fun diversion. A good read with some stuff to find and puzzles to solve. The match 3 puzzle was different, and it was fun. I'd like to see a game based on strategy M3s like that.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 23, 10 1:28 AM
Not a bad game. Played a bit of the demo and then couldn't find this damned draw bridge, so I used an hint............ I was so amazed of how it worked (if you make ONE wrong click while using a hint you're told that the latest will disappear straight away) that I rushed to uninstall the game. For a rainy day may be.

[Post New]by TheMastercat on Aug 23, 10 1:51 PM
Found this to be a very relaxing HOG and although the dialog was over long, thought I would buy it. After buying it, it started me from the very beginning. Didn't enjoy it that much.

Edited on 08/23/2010 at 1:59:48 PM PST

MIGHTYMIDGE
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by MIGHTYMIDGE on Aug 25, 10 4:20 AM
It is clear and has bright entertaining graphics...TOO many HoGs and too much yacking..No Not for me this one ...Sorry...you did ask.

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Oct 7, 10 11:39 PM
Phatkhat put it perfectly, I think: "a fun diversion". YES! I completely forgot I'd bought this game as a DD, and when I stumbled on it on my "list" I quick came to the forums first, to see if I'd goofed or not. According to the majority I had, badly. But I thought I'd give it the old college try anyway, before tossing it.

I love this game. There isn't too much talking at all, but the thing is that different people look for different things in a game. Some come to a game wanting no "interference" in what they're there for, I think, while others are looking for that interference to enhance the experience of the game. I totally expected to hate this game, and it's such a pleasant surprise to find out that it's just right for a late night change of pace after a hectic day. Graphics are great, the settings are a bit on the tawdry side, but that's the setting of the story, so they fit. Items are easy to find, but not all that easy, there are some you really have to search for. Actually, it's the first game I have come across where I have a strong feeling of seeing the scene through the eyes of the character in it. Rachel sees an old hulk floating on the shoals, and the next thing we know we're in another hidden object scene on board, but the junk she finds in this game, unlike other "junk pile hogs" fits, and the feeling is that you're actually standing there, looking at the mess and shaking your head over it, and you start spotting things. I think what I'm trying to say is that the junk looks like a bunch of people living nearby just threw stuff there, rather than that the game designer just grabbed any extraneous items and shoved them into the scene willy-nilly.

As I say, for me this game is a great evening's entertainment, it's very well done. It doesn't claim to be a polished work of art, but rather a comfortable, rather down-at-the-heels, fun story. I know the majority of you others can't figure out what I see in it, and I know too that you can pretty well "out game" me too, , but I do hope the developers come out with more games like this for the few of us who really do enjoy them. Think "African Queen".

Go to: