Jude_Rigby
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Lonely Dream

[Post New]by Jude_Rigby on Aug 28, 10 8:34 PM
Not my cup of tea either, as some others have said. Yes, the graphics are crisp and clear. But they're 3D graphics and the way they're done here in this game has always annoyed me and imo always looked cheap for some reason (I know it costs to make these games, don't remind me). So this is a pass for me, but since I never played the other two games I'm fine with it. Have fun those who enjoy this!
And actually I'll wait until the 17th next month for the 4th season of Ghost Adventures to begin. Then I'll be able to see an actual Haunted Hotel with Zak, Nick and Aaron. Dude

Edited on 08/28/2010 at 9:48:44 PM PST

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Aug 28, 10 9:45 PM
Finished the game in a little over 3.5 hours. Can't say it was a bad game. I just can't put my finger on it but just never really held me.
Loaded in fine.
The graphics were nice and crisp. Some of the scenes were quite imaginative.
The soundtrack was there but not really annoying.
The items were obvious and yet still hidden.
I managed to get through with no hints but was still challenged.
The cut scenes were not long.
I did enjoy the mini games quite a lot. They were a nice mix.
Though an IHOG the interaction was quick and direct. I guess I prefer a little more guess work.
I think what turned me off in the long run was the weak story line. It just seemed slightly disjointed. After the second hour it almost felt like I just needed to finish. I'm sure this all just a matter of taste and, as such, it will be well liked by others.
There's been a run of really good games lately that could be coloring my opinion.
Not a bad game just not a great one for me. Would probably give it a 3 out of 5.

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Aug 28, 10 10:11 PM
I enjoyed the demo very much and purchased it. One more game and I fill my gamecard for August! Good storyline and graphics and music was pretty mellow. I had to laugh when I came here to read the reviews because of all the "does it thunder in the winter no it doesn't oh yes it does" comments because the first time I heard that clap of thunder I had the same reaction! This is a very challenging game that really makes you think. I usually don't use the walkthrough but I had to a couple of times because I couldn't figure out what to do next. Definetly more of an adventure game than a HOG. Don't think I've played the other HH games; I'll have to check them out.

Edited on 08/28/2010 at 10:12:34 PM PST

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Aug 28, 10 10:34 PM
This game is a waste of time and please do not buy. Compared to Reincarnations and the top games of this week this is a joke!

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Aug 29, 10 12:38 AM
Hi, Fishies!

Thanks for all the reviews! I have the first two HH games and had been wondering how much like them this game is. So far, a few people have said that it's even better, so I'm looking forward to the 1 hour trial.

My questions to those who have already played it are:
1/ what kinds of mini-games are there?
2/ is there a lot of variety in them or are they very similar to each other?

Thanks so much!
Happy gaming!

(Oh, hey! I just turned into a squid! Wow! )

Edited on 08/29/2010 at 12:39:14 AM PST

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Aug 29, 10 1:44 AM
A fun, somewhat easy game. But I did enjoy it except for all the gibberis of the actor. Also way too many hint. Game went by in about 3 hours. Overall, fun.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Aug 29, 10 1:47 AM
I respectfully beg to differ with some of the negative reviews for this game. While it is by no means a "great" one, it's still quite well done and a decent experience. The download is flawless and the opening menu presents good choices. I found the graphics to be nice and sharp; the soundtrack could tend to get on your nerves a bit after a while (but then I don't want Chopin piano music that'll probably put me to sleep!). And yes, in response to an earlier post questioning weather phenomena, there IS such a thing as "Thunder Snow"!

The movement from scene to scene is smooth, the gathering and use of inventory belongings makes sense, and although there's no voice acting, the scripting fits OK with the story.

Ah, therein lies the rub. The plotline seems kinda disjointed--at any given time, there are certain "tasks" to do (the "Task" button on the right keeps you informed) but to me there's no particular order. That said though, the hint system is very good and quickly rechargeable.

I did purchase this after the hour demo--this isn't a straight-forward HOG--it's an adventure-type of game with HOG and inventory elements to it. I'll rate it 4 stars.

Edited on 08/29/2010 at 1:48:33 AM PST

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Aug 29, 10 9:10 AM
LIke this one very much so far , very much. Will probably buy it today, hate waiting for deals and there are too many choices...oh me oh my, what a quandry.
But as far as this game...well drawn, like the figuring out stuff more than the HOG part, and I like HOG's..but the HOG scenes are a "sigh, okok, where is every thing "and a lot of squinting.
The music seems appropriate, didn't like the calling for help much either, but it put the "gotta save em" pressure on the player. Glad to hear that it is long.
As far as thunder and winter...we get that here in maine. Just another weather oddity like "sea smoke" and etc. Kinda makes the winters more interesting. Gives us all something to talk to one another about at the post offce I guess.
kris

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Aug 29, 10 9:42 AM
I loved the demo of this, and bought right afterwards.

I had a good few hours of gameplay, and enjoyed a lot at the start, but then... Chapters were longer to start, and then got shorter and shorter. The puzzles/ goals were harder at the start as well. Mini games were a mix of easy and more complicated, although not impossible. I found it challenging at first, and then easier and more ...well... pointless. Like the spinning wheel - wtf?

A shame, because it started so promisingly, yet by the end I was desperate for it to be over. A poster in the hacker's room for Island: The Lost Medallion, said it all - I remember that game going on for too long. Length is good, but sometimes a game can be drawn out for no reason, and I felt this was one. I agonized over buying this one v the new Lost in the City - I feel this one was longer but don't know if I chose the right one. Might buy t'other anyway!

Good points - really good H.O scenes. No going back to earlier scenes or repetitions, so each time is a completely new search, which is great. Some tricky to work out solutions to goals (well, I found them tricky!). Kept me out of trouble for a few hours.

I just felt...well.. deflated at the end.

But then again, might be me - I often feel that way at the end of a game. I just lost interest around Chapter 10...

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Aug 29, 10 9:46 AM
talisman018 wrote:Hi, Fishies!

Thanks for all the reviews! I have the first two HH games and had been wondering how much like them this game is. So far, a few people have said that it's even better, so I'm looking forward to the 1 hour trial.

Thanks so much!
Happy gaming!

The mini games are quite varied. Pipes, jigsaw, mixed wires, simon says, number codes...etc. All types. Can't remember any repeating but I could be wrong. The mini games were one of my positives about this game.

meisie99
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by meisie99 on Aug 29, 10 11:07 AM
I have the two prequels to this game and so the story makes more sense to me. I think each game has progressed and is better than the game before. The graphics are great. I could live without the drop down spider, and please may I never go to another antigravity room. Other than that, I really like this game. I didn't finish level 6 in the demo and so it's a good length. I will definitely buy this game. It's a better than average supernatural mystery.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Aug 29, 10 11:40 AM
Oh no! The demo ended and I am having so much fun!. ***Great*** minigames in this IHOG. Clear graphics, fun interactive puzzles. No timer, Quick fill hints. Skippable story and minigames. A must buy, may not wait until September for this one.

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Aug 29, 10 12:29 PM
A million times better than the first horrible Haunted Hotel - I couldn't even play that for five minutes without shutting it down in disgust.

This one, I bought after 15 minutes of gameplay. Definitely a good game.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 29, 10 4:50 PM
Good game, the puzzles were fun. My only complaint is I wish the game had been longer!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 29, 10 7:01 PM
Played the hour and bought the game. Nice HOG, but not very long. Only took me a couple of hours to finish the game. Story line was a bit sketchy, but graphics are good. You are right, thunder and snow don't run on the same boat. Thunder, lightening and rain. Only used the walkthrough twice. Otherwise, not a bad game...as I said, just short.

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Aug 30, 10 3:56 AM
sartasia wrote:
talisman018 wrote:Hi, Fishies!

Thanks so much!
Happy gaming!

The mini games are quite varied. Pipes, jigsaw, mixed wires, simon says, number codes...etc. All types. Can't remember any repeating but I could be wrong. The mini games were one of my positives about this game.

Thanks, sartasia! That helps me a lot. I think I'll buy it with my next credit.

Thanks to meisie99, too, for the spider warning. I am a recovering arachnaephobiac and really appreciate the head's up!

Edited on 08/30/2010 at 3:59:01 AM PST

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Aug 30, 10 11:06 AM
elldee2728 wrote:I respectfully beg to differ with some of the negative reviews for this game. While it is by no means a "great" one, it's still quite well done and a decent experience.
I did purchase this after the hour demo--this isn't a straight-forward HOG--it's an adventure-type of game with HOG and inventory elements to it. I'll rate it 4 stars.

Lately I have been finding more and more negative reviews by new fish...and while I don't want to discourage any new fishes into the pond (the more the merrier!), and yes everyone is entitled to comment/review as they want to.. it just seems like unless its a new IHOG and perfect, they hate it. In the same review threads the "older" fishes that have been around longer.. played the prior sequals..remember the days of plain ol straight HOGs give more positive reviews. Then there are what I call "the negative few" a few fish that I have seen post "Hate it, this game is junk, don't buy" etc on every review they have done and those are their only posts.(have not posted in this thread btw) Sour grapes..been banned before or some kind of grudge I'm guessing?

At any rate.. I have played both Haunted Hotel 1 (now that was a horrible game, I think many agree with that torturous arcade elevator game) but I got through it. (it was free when I signed up thank goodness) Then Haunted Hotel 2 which was way better and now they have really stepped it up in the third game in this series. I loved this game and will be buying is Sep either with a credit or Labor Day sale if they have one. The graphics are beautiful, it feels modern IHOG and yet classic HOG all in one. I like junkpile..makes finding objects more challenging. In newer games there are so few items in some HOG scenes I don't even have to look at the list just click away and thats no fun. I think this is also a game that makes more sense story wise if you have played the first 2. After proudly suffering through the first lol I have to play the sequels!!

I give it 4 ....

Edited on 08/30/2010 at 11:09:23 AM PST

AlaLady
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by AlaLady on Aug 30, 10 11:33 AM
Hey,I am sorta new to all this. I did buy the first and second HH .Enjoyed both, Just bought HH Lonely Dream and I am NOT disappointed. Thanks

oakley007
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by oakley007 on Aug 30, 10 4:00 PM
I love these adventure HOG type games. Played 30 minutes and plan to buy after the 1st. Thanks again, bf!

[Post New]by oldmaidokie on Aug 30, 10 6:40 PM
I Like the game Haunted Hotel:Lonely Dream until the Summer Room where the game froze Twice on me and I deleted it from my computer. Thank You.

Go to: