lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

Re:Using/ Accessing the Built-in Smart Guide (Strategy Guide)

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 1, 10 4:57 PM
well it seems as though all of you are brighter than i. i am stuck trying to place the lantern. i read the advice and think i followed it but the hook won't hold the dang it lantern. i wonder if i need a different lantern than the blue one or if i just don't know my hook from a hole in the ground! frustration is my name, Drawn is my game....

oh, and re the 'smart' guide, i think in this case it is only the first half of the word!!!

[Post New]by hereforthegames on Sep 1, 10 7:55 PM
Well!! I Can't even find the toad painting. Help Please!!!!!!

[Post New]by Chehalis on Sep 1, 10 8:59 PM
Does anybody know where the marionette stage is after you light the 2nd tower? The hint guide keeps showing me a stage w/ 3 puppets on it, but I can't find it for the life of me. HELP!!!

[Post New]by LoreDragon on Sep 2, 10 12:31 AM
Chehalis wrote:Does anybody know where the marionette stage is after you light the 2nd tower? The hint guide keeps showing me a stage w/ 3 puppets on it, but I can't find it for the life of me. HELP!!!
I'm having the same issue. The cart is locked and it is in there that I am presuming the marionettes are. But the smart guide and Franklins advice don't tell you where the key is.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 2, 10 12:33 AM
Hi Chehalis, and welcome to posting!

Have to say this "showing ahead" of something you haven't seen yet or cannot know (Franklin) is the only thing that I found a little irritating with the smart guide. Otherwise I found it a very good to the point help, esp. the combination between Franklin's hints and the pictures from the guide/hint on the right side.

The marionette stage is left of the theatre wagon (w/ purple curtains).
The wagon is...: From the statue with the violin go right, then forward (where the shadows were before! you can enter now), then on forwards, until the street is separated in two.
The wagon is to the left then. And be slow with your mouse in all these locales: There are direction arrows and stuff everywhere!
Good luck and have fun

Chehalis wrote:Does anybody know where the marionette stage is after you light the 2nd tower? The hint guide keeps showing me a stage w/ 3 puppets on it, but I can't find it for the life of me. HELP!!!

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 2, 10 12:39 AM
Hi LoreDragon and welcome to you, too!
Read my answer to Chehalis, I hope it helps - you'll need and find the key for the wagon much later. I repeat the recommendation to search everywhere for the arrows and new locales and also in general to follow the game's hints: Although you don't have to follow the suggested sequence always - I found it runs smoothly: if it shows you something you haven't planned to do yet, go ahead and search for it; it's all there Good luck!

LoreDragon wrote:I'm having the same issue. The cart is locked and it is in there that I am presuming the marionettes are. But the smart guide and Franklins advice don't tell you where the key is.

[Post New]by LayceSue on Sep 2, 10 7:00 AM
The Smart Guide shows me what I have already done. No help on completing the frog poster from either source.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 2, 10 10:30 AM
LayceSue wrote:The Smart Guide shows me what I have already done.
I believe some other fishie wrote that, too, so a glitch for some can never be ruled out. If so, write to CS... OTOH, I had at least 2 situations where I thought I was stuck, and TOLD Franklin in reply to his hints - ha! - that I had been there, had taken the item - and it turned out then that I had overlooked something. For example at the frog puzzle/painting I had taken away the poster piece from the happy frog (or whatever it is called in English) above very early, and at some point when I was in the frog painting, searching for frogs, it kept showing me the darn painting, and I said: hey, I AM there already, but where are the frogs?! well, I had forgotten to draw the lines around the happy frog...

No help on completing the frog poster from either source.
There's a frog puzzle thread here:
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/114559.page#2222480
with a good description of the frogs that are hard to find. If that doesn't contain a solution for you, try to start a new thread with a corresponding title and a description of what you have, where you are, what you need to do... and certainly a fishie helper will swim by.

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Sep 2, 10 12:48 PM
I would like to know, if the smart guide is the strategy guide that a person gets when he buys the CE, does it mean that the guide is not provided in the SE?
If it is the same guide in the SE, then what is the point of buying the CE...just for the wallpaper and concept art? Is there a bonus gameplay and how long is that?

Hope someone can shed some light on these issues.

lalaby47
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by lalaby47 on Sep 2, 10 1:36 PM
SolarEclipse wrote:I hope someone at BFG is currently working on an updated version of this game that actually includes a strategy guide. Because the "smart guide" is just insulting. And I'm definitely not blaming Margie. Her walkthroughs are great. But she shouldn't have to babysit this forum day and night just because BFG failed to provide either a strategy guide or a walkthrough for those willing to pay extra for the Collector's Edition. Thank you for letting me voice my opinion. Margie, you're wonderful. Keep up the good work!!!

Xipher
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Xipher on Sep 2, 10 3:00 PM
barregar wrote:I would like to know, if the smart guide is the strategy guide that a person gets when he buys the CE, does it mean that the guide is not provided in the SE?
If it is the same guide in the SE, then what is the point of buying the CE...just for the wallpaper and concept art? Is there a bonus gameplay and how long is that?

Hope someone can shed some light on these issues.

Don't think the SE will have the Smart Guide ...

r3t1r3d
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by r3t1r3d on Sep 2, 10 6:50 PM
Really appreciated the built in smart guide. Helped me alot and kept me from getting frustraed. Five star game !

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Sep 3, 10 1:33 AM
barregar wrote:I would like to know, if the smart guide is the strategy guide that a person gets when he buys the CE, does it mean that the guide is not provided in the SE?
Both the smart guide and Bonus gameplay are mentioned on the game download page as CE extras, so chances are, the smart guide won't be included in the SE. There's still the question what is defined as the smart guide, because the Hint system consists of 2 parts: Franklin giving text help (up to 3 times, getting more precise) and the 2nd hint button at the right bottom which shows a picture of your next goal. Both together were a great help system IMO and I came through the main game with them w/o problems. I really liked the system there.
If for the SE both are taken away, then there would be no Hint button at all. If one takes away only the button at the right bottom corner as "smart guide", the CE doesn't contain much of an extra help, but that's not the problem of the SE players <g>. BTW, the German BFG site describes the advantage of the CE explicitly as being able to play earlier; doesn't even mention the Bonus gameplay, lol.
I found a W/t at another review site, which was IMO more helpful than the Smart guide for the Bonus (!) game, as there's much going back and forth through the locales again. And again my personal opinion: None of them, neither the SG nor that W/T, were very helpful for the minigames/puzzles, as either the pictures weren't clear or the instructions not step-by-step (ex. colouring the Queen picture). In one case, it seemed to me, the author of the W/T was so glad that he had finally solved the puzzle after 70-or-what clicks that he forgot to take a screenshot. I certainly don't envy Margie for the task of writing a W/t for this game.
So, whatever one's opinion about the Smart guide, there's the Bonus gameplay as CE extra, as usual. I didn't pay attention to the time I needed for it, as I rushed through; I didn't find the "search for xxxx items" content appealing - it will take longer if one has to do the searching all on one's own; maybe nice, if one wants to enjoy the scenery again.
And the game would have needed a map, definitely. I drew one myself.
Hope this answers some of your questions.

r3t1r3d
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by r3t1r3d on Sep 3, 10 7:44 AM
Yes! A map would have been very helpful.

HELP Please!!

[Post New]by Valentinos_Mom on Sep 4, 10 11:39 AM
I cannot find the waterfall room...any suggestions?

[Post New]by Valentinos_Mom on Sep 4, 10 12:06 PM
I found the waterfall room. I also went to another site and found a walkthrough...it isn't as good as what BFG usually has, but it will do.

[Post New]by msty239 on Sep 5, 10 1:17 PM
LoreDragon wrote:
I'm having the same issue. The cart is locked and it is in there that I am presuming the marionettes are. But the smart guide and Franklins advice don't tell you where the key is.

[Post New]by msty239 on Sep 5, 10 1:19 PM
I am also stuck and not finding the musical men..help..can't even find my way back to the statue of the musician..lost

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Sep 5, 10 3:12 PM
This "Smart guide" is a mess to me. I'm on the music puzzle (way at the beginning). Franklin tells me I have to solve the music puzzle and put 10 notes (which I have) in blank spaces. Then I click on the "Hint" and I see the end of the first bar, circled, with three silver notes. There are also some number of colored notes.

I can put the silver notes in and move them around to some degree. Then they get stuck and won't move any more. The puzzle isn't solved, it's just stuck. And there's no skip. So I'm starting over from the beginning.

NOT a happy camper here, BF. If this is what we are getting for the $6 less it's not much of a bargain!

[Post New]by Spirit_of_Auron on Sep 5, 10 7:20 PM
Minx, are the ones that get stuck turning green, because if they are in the correct location, they'll turn green and no longer be able to be moved.

Anyways, I was going to request that a video for the first beacon puzzle be made, because it's the only one I've encountered so far that I think it'd be of great help for a lot of people. Personally I ended up skipping that one because I couldn't get one of the icons to light up, and had all the rest, and it'd help me a bunch on a subsequent playthrough to have a youtube video to watch to help me master it.

Go to: