gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Escape from Frankenstein's Castle

[Post New]by gailweis on Sep 2, 10 7:36 AM
Don't like the loading beween scenes. Also don't like that when I click on an inventory item, it doesn't tell me what it is. Don't understand the hint system (is there one?). Will keep playing the demo until my time is done, then will decide. Right now, I'm leaning towards not buying.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Sep 2, 10 8:07 AM
Just finished my hour and apparently have gone through a little over 1/2 the game.
Although there was loading between scenes I didn't seem to have the long lag time others did. In fact they were quite quick.
I had been looking forward to this game since Mudrock's announcement.
Unfortunately I found this game almost mind numbingly easy. Nothing really to figure out. Just collecting and using. The steps lead right from one to another and once you've picked up something it is apparent, quite quickly, what you need to do with it. The spectre that is your hint system basically tells you exactly what you need to do as opposed to just nudging.
The graphics are really quite nice but the story line is almost silly. You wake up from an accident, a ghost talks to you, are put to work repairing odd machines and you aren't worried about what is going on?

If you are just jumping into the adventure genre than this would probably be a great game for you.
Probably not a buy for me as it just seemed in the last few minutes I was going through the motions.
Have to venture to another part of the pond for my entertainment...have fun Fishies.

I did want to add that I do agree this is not labled correctly. It is not a HOG in any sense. Definitely an "Adventure".

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 8:11:10 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 2, 10 8:15 AM
This is an annoying game in my opinion. The constant loading, the screen constantly encumbered with pop ups telling you where the rooms are etc. and the dialog boxes. The graphics are grainy and it appears to be a short game. When I saw the title "Escape from Frankenstein's Castle" I couldn't wait to download, but after playing for 20 minutes found this game is a huge disappointment.

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Sep 2, 10 8:31 AM
im afraid this is one of those games that would have or could have been great,its not really bad, its just not good!

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Sep 2, 10 8:40 AM
Small file, took no time to d/l. Finished the demo, the game just didn't appeal to me. I had no desire to buy and finish it. No custom cursor in options. Graphics were so-so. Cut scenes are cartoon style graphics which I don't like. Music OK, kinda boring. I guess you could call this a hidden object game, it's just not my idea of a HOG. I prefer lists not chores.

To me, there was no game flow. The loading of every scene while not long, was irritating, contributing to the non-smooth game flow. Note to game devs-when making the transition from one scene to another, it's nice not to have to see 'loading' every time.

I got to the part where I had to turn something into gold. The medallion maybe? It had been in my inventory. When I found the machine, I couldn't find the medallion. Maybe it was on the desk, but I didn't take it out of my inventory and I couldn't find it. Sorry, it's a no-buy for me.

cinnix
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Escape from Frankenstein's Castle

[Post New]by cinnix on Sep 2, 10 9:07 AM
umm... do you think Isabella has had her forehead botoxed? yep, if i've just suffered a concussion, the first thing i'd be doing is dusting bookshelves. a little far-fetched, however, a little way into the demo... the tasks are somewhat intriguing.
a little further along now, and i have to disagree with the fish who said there's no hand-holding. there's too much!! not really a challenging game for me.

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 9:20:48 AM PST

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Sep 2, 10 9:30 AM
First I want to say that I like Playfirst games plus, I really enjoyed this game and I would have bought it, But:

Pros: The hints do tell you what to look for and if the ghost does not clicking on the task line will---It even shows a picture most of the time.

This does not hold your hand, but it certainly moves you forward.

I like the story line and would of liked to seen it through to the end.

The loading did not bother me (did not take long for me), at least it shows it is loading unlike some games that just shows a blank screen for ever and ever.

Cons: I was starting lvl 6 and I went back and looked at the ghosts memories, etc, but dang the game is way too short! I would have maybe 1 hour to maybe 1.5 left to play. Just for that shortness I will not buy this game!

Pity because I really liked it. If the developers add some more content/play time it will be a definite buy for me. Also because of the short play time I will not evem buy as a DD.
As great story and enjoyable play 4 out of 5 for length of play 0 out of 5.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 2, 10 9:40 AM
gailweis wrote:Don't like the loading beween scenes. Also don't like that when I click on an inventory item, it doesn't tell me what it is. Don't understand the hint system (is there one?). Will keep playing the demo until my time is done, then will decide. Right now, I'm leaning towards not buying.

Totally agree. Didn't like the staring eyes either!

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Sep 2, 10 9:54 AM
When I saw this game this morning it looked very promising but after playing about 40 minutes of the free trial I found I'd had enough. This is a FHOG that takes you from room to room to find what you need to accomplish the tasks given you. I usually like this kind of game but every time you went from one area to another the game had to re-load which on my computer took around 10-15 seconds each time which after a while became tedious. Story was okay as far as I got in the 40 minutes. Graphics okay, music(especially the moan/singing woman) got annoying after a while. A disappointment all around.

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 2, 10 10:08 AM
I wouldn't repeat others pros and cons. Here's my 2-cents worth.

"Me Likes" -- The storyline, the mix of adventure and hidden objects. The art work gets mixed reviews. The cuts between scenes were just OK, but the scenes were sharpe and nicely done. The task menu was well done. You not only get the task, but by clicking on the task, you also get tips/strategies for what needs to be done.

"Me Didn't Like So Much" -- The directions/instructions is one of the big "cons" of this game. If you're new to adventure/hidden object games, this one could be frustrating. Right off the back, you have to know to look around and "just start clicking" to pick up objects. The load time between locations is very slow. While you can skip mini-games, I was not able to figure out how to restart a game when you get it wrong the first time.

"Me Bottom-Line" -- I played 4 out of 5 levels. May have played more but I read all the cut scenes. 2.5 out of 5. This game could have been better with more instructions and less load time. Probably 2 hours plus of play time. I will put this on purchase with "daily deal."

detecto63
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by detecto63 on Sep 2, 10 10:19 AM
Well I feel REALLY stupid. I can't get the drawer to open beside the bed in th

first scene. I've clicked all over the are. This does not semm good!!!! Help!

Thanks a bunch..

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 10:29:14 AM PST

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Sep 2, 10 11:05 AM
I have to agree this is not the greatest game - load time between scenes way to long and "clunky" - lack of direction - graphics are okay and music okay
This is a pass for me

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 11:05:58 AM PST

[Post New]by Papoola on Sep 2, 10 11:10 AM
I beta tested this game and was so frustrated by the load time from scene to scene I wanted to scream! I didn't think the music fit the story line. At times it sounded like I was on my way to heaven even though I felt like I was in some perverse hell. The card game in the library was fun the first time but not the fifth time I had to play it for useless clues. The memory scenes were a novel twist. I was hoping the final version of the game would include suggested improvements but, from reading other people's posts, evidently the developers didn't heed suggestions so I won't bother playing this game even for the free trial hour based on the comments already made. Like other gamers, I always read the forum comments about a game before I try it or buy it and I so appreciate honest feedback about the games. They can't all be winners. Three games that I've really enjoyed lately are Redemption Cemetery: Curse of the Raven, Shaolin Mystery: Tale of the Jade Dragon Staff and Puppet Show: Souls of the Innocent

Edited on 09/02/2010 at 11:13:19 AM PST

padres
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by padres on Sep 2, 10 11:22 AM
The comments regarding this game have been really on mark. Could have been a great game. As noted over and over, the constant Loading essentially wrecks the game. I got to the point (rather quickly) where I dreaded leaving any room because it meant the game would load. My computer is new and extremely fast, but I still found this to be a huge design flaw. also, it was generally unclear what one was to do next and it was especially unclear how to solve the puzzles. Complete lack of directions. That is really unnecessary as is the constant loading. What's the point of beta testing a game if you then ignore the flaws that are exposed.

Yes, definitely not a HOG or IHOG. No hidden objects to find.

All of this is unfortunate because the game does have a lot of good features. Oh well.

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Sep 2, 10 11:49 AM
I am one of those thoroughly enjoying this game. It's a break from my
usual IHOG's and slow reloading between rooms doesn't bother me
to much cause I'm not really in a rush (there is a heat wave out here
so moving slower than the reloading in games!)
The tasks on left let you know what to do and erases when you've
accomplished it, so you don't strain the old noggin trying to remember
what to do-a plus for short term memory, like mine.
As far as the comment about waking up and dusting, well when has
any of these games not have you doing something..um..silly.
It would be boring if she could just walk out the door, where is the
fun in that!
It's a buy for me

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Sep 2, 10 12:25 PM
pungstress wrote:...This is a FHOG that takes you from room to room to find what you need to accomplish the tasks given you. ..:

What's an FHOG?? I thought this seemed like an adventure game. Really, though, what does FHOG stand for? That is a new acronym to me....

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Sep 2, 10 1:07 PM
I just finished demo-ing this and fully expected to end and delete early because of what was said about the loading time between scenes. Yes, you always encountered that, but other games have been much more ponderous (i.e.Brunhilda and drinking that ridiculous potion between each scene) in their loading times. What got to me was having to go back and forth so much (I always got lost on the lower hall). Because of that, I just can't imagine how some gamers got through 10 levels in the 60 minute demo time. Maybe if this were the second time playing...wait! Did you play it on the developer's site and then here a second time on Big Fish?? Actually, though there were some minor problems, I thought it was a decent game. I just like my adventure games to be playable for days so I won't be buying this.

[Post New]by buddydusty on Sep 2, 10 1:10 PM
Mostly I found the loading and reloading annoying. Took way too much time.

Also, having to move each glass shard into the fire each time was too much. Why not be able to move them all at once. This was repeated with the hangers, and power sources.

This is a no buy for me.

katmandan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by katmandan on Sep 2, 10 1:24 PM
I also thought this game could have been something good. But as it isn't, I have to pass.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Sep 2, 10 1:35 PM
I'm being naughty here, but Mudrock said it was great. This is not the first time I have disagreed. Not so sure about Mudrock anymore.

Go to: