MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

Re:A heartfelt plea to ALL game designers.....

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Sep 15, 10 3:19 PM
I hate spiders too, but for some reason they dont bother me in a game because they arent all creepy, crawly, wiggly,moving their spindly legs all over the place, like in real life, I can handle the still ones!

Sissy79
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Sissy79 on Sep 17, 10 8:01 AM
Hiya hogamefan! I completely understand your frustration and true terror about the spiders!! I too have a MAJOR phobea with spiders. So I really empathize with you. With this one, it seems like they just went WAY over board with the spider usage, along with every other creepy crawling bug that most of us truly either hate, or fear. It seems normal though, if you look back and remember that Halloween is just around the corner, and that these sort of games are in true abundance right around this time through the end of November. And with ANY eerie themed game they do have to "set" the right atmosphere. Just remember that right after that, it's Christmas time...(for me that usually means ba humbug), and the games usually get just a little more "cheerful"!! Good luck in finding other games that are not so creepy, and if I should find one or two, I promise to let you know!! Try to have a great Friday, darling!!
Happy hunting...
and to all!!!
Sissy

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 17, 10 8:15 AM
If you are afraid of spiders than shouldn't that increase your enjoyment of the game? The game is supposed to be a bit scary and so wouldn't a fear of spiders make the game even scarier?

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Sep 17, 10 10:01 AM
And I was thinking, as i played the demo, that for once the spiders were cool and realistic looking. Sorry spider phobes, mine is poaches. can't stand the dirty things. At least spiders serve a perpose. Enjoy the game (or not).

hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by hogamefan on Sep 18, 10 2:42 AM
Hello everyone. Thank you to all of you who have read and replied to this post (especially to Sissy and her kind offer to let me know of any spider-free games she comes across in the future )

As this thread has created some very varied opinions (which is obviously what all threads do, and what forums were created to do), I just wanted to emphasise that I didn't mean to appear selfish or whiny about the abundance of spiders in this game, rather the abundance of them in general in HOGs lately. I certainly don't expect developers just to cater to my wishes/needs - more a case of occasionally yes, and I agree it does add to the atmosphere, but please not every single scene!

I guess it would be the same for someone with a phobia of snakes (don't know what the official word is for that one ) to start playing a game and find they have to find between 1 and 3 snakes in every scene, or even if it wasn't on the list of things to find, to have to look at the darned thing staring out of the screen lol.

Anyway, as Sissy so rightly pointed out, Xmas is around the corner, and I wait with baited breath for a game where I have to find Elves - I'm not scared of them

Happy gaming to all of you.

[Post New]by gokaren on Sep 22, 10 3:34 PM
LOL at spider comments and stories......too funny

jlasater
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by jlasater on Sep 25, 10 2:08 PM
It's a game people, the spiders are not real. I do agree with the point. Too much of anything is less fun to look for.

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Sep 25, 10 2:20 PM
Elves are terrifying!! NO ELVES FOR ME!!

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Sep 27, 10 2:55 AM
Kalavinka what is wrong with my kind...have we upset you??

I personally hate moths, but I understand that virtual ones are not going to get in my ears and eat my brain.

Obviously phobias are phobias, and they can be debilitating, I am not denying that but if spiders freak you out so much then you have two options...

1) Avoid any games that may have spiders in them

Or

2) Seek some counselling to get over your spider phobia

I have terrible hallucinations and hear voices, especially at night so I try to avoid anything that looks too frightening. If I still want to play it then I will wait till the sun is up and my girlfriend is in the room with me.

I have had to turn games off and never go near them again because they are far too scary, even if I really liked it.

You are in control here so it is up to you what you do, but personally I like the spiders and I think asking developers to take them out because you have a phobia is a bit ridiculous.

Peace out and stay safe.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Oct 13, 10 3:49 PM
mhatfie wrote:There are also alot of snakes in games and I'm sure alot of people have snake phobias and come to think of it there are alot of mice, squirrels, rats, flies, moths, etc. etc.many people are phobic about those things also. I understand the Spider phobia as I am not too keen on them either but after all it is just a game but if they ever jump out of the game then I will be singing a different tune.
There are also alot of snakes in games Way too, too many people. I have a problem with them, but like the spiders if they don't move too much I can get past it. ha ha I did play a game once that had them slithering around and that scene almost made me quit playing. yuk!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 27, 10 12:46 AM
I know that some people have the same phobia for snakes, for example, as others have for spiders. So it might be a little tricky for the developers to know which animals not to include.

I also absolutely hate spiders, and have notices that there is a abundance of them in a lot of games. I don't mind so much if the odd spider here and there appears, but lets keep it to a minimum. We are not in a spider-filled dungeon where Indiana Jones got covered by them.

And I don't mind the spiders as long I don't have to CLICK on them! That is what really disgusts me, having to put my cursor onto them and click on them.

So yes, for all us creepy crawly phobians, have a heart and keep those things to a minimum.

alohak
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alohak on Nov 13, 10 1:08 PM
mhatfie wrote:There are also alot of snakes in games and I'm sure alot of people have snake phobias and come to think of it there are alot of mice, squirrels, rats, flies, moths, etc. etc.many people are phobic about those things also. I understand the Spider phobia as I am not too keen on them either but after all it is just a game but if they ever jump out of the game then I will be singing a different tune.

That was funny! They better not start jumping out but then again with 3D getting more popular...

Edited on 11/13/2010 at 1:10:17 PM PST

merivilan
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by merivilan on Nov 29, 10 6:52 AM
I have no problem with spiders but cockroaches... yuch.
One game I played had them running everywhere and you had to spray them. Took me ages to pluck up the courage to do that scene.
However today I killed a (small ) cockroach without screaming help.
So maybe games can provide a form of therapy.I know some phobia therapies work by getting you more and more acclimatised to whatever you are scared of in a safe setting.
So games with spiders in them may end up helping people overcome their spider phobias.

Go to: