ladyjan51
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

Re:What's the most overused hidden object?

[Post New]by ladyjan51 on Sep 17, 10 11:00 PM
How about those suns , moons……….and shoes?

hogamefan
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by hogamefan on Sep 18, 10 2:58 AM
Rubber chickens!!!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Sep 18, 10 4:10 AM
Lizards! never the same shape or color, generic or gila monster types. Those and seahorses are so hard to see.

I really don't mind the ones that can have multiple meanings. I think of it as part of the challenge, wouldn't want "violin bow" spelled out for me. Makes you visualize several possibilities, bat baseball or bat flying or upside down hanging. Other one is king or horse, chess pieces or playing card king, or horse in a painting, or rocking horse. Just make me think a little harder. Another is Staff, I'm thinking treble clef music, they're meaning shepherd's crook. Shows me how my preconceived notions about things can be so off base, have to have parallel thinking, good exercise to widen the outlook

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Sep 18, 10 9:40 PM
Hourglasses, bells, fish, keys, butterflies and of course the dreaded masks.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 18, 10 11:51 PM
Just demo a Spin Top Mystery PI and you'll see all the "over dones" in scene after scene.
I'm not criticizing, I've bought more than my share including this last one, but they've made it their specialty.

Edited on 09/18/2010 at 11:51:32 PM PST

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Sep 19, 10 2:27 AM
can't believe i haven't read spiders yet. lol and and hourglass. Seems no house is complete without one. I must get one.

sunimae
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by sunimae on Sep 20, 10 3:57 AM
Actually I'm thinking about writing a scenario for a new game...

The Crowbar and the Hourglass - A Love Story

Whadda you think?

"Kate Whazhername has misplaced the Sacred Amulet of Elsewhere, her grandfather, and the combination to the safe where she keeps the keys to her Time Machine... Go to the sparkly place - her lingerie drawer - and help her find her Magic Bra, which is where she will tuck all the useful items she collects on her adventures; it's in there somewhere under the toads, rulers, horseshoes, 2 compasses (the magnetic one that points north, and the two-legged one to draw circles with), oilcans, paperclips, feathers, bones... Go along with her on her amazing adventures, overcoming obstacles, and getting confused, and losing her way because she has no sense of virtual direction. Solve (or skip - especially the one with 3 pegs and the stack of rings) dozens of puzzles... And maybe she'll find love along the way. "

On the other hand, if it weren't for these HOGs, I would never have known what a 'carabiner' was called.

[Post New]by katbanshee1 on Sep 21, 10 10:32 PM
sunimae wrote:Actually I'm thinking about writing a scenario for a new game...

The Crowbar and the Hourglass - A Love Story

Whadda you think?

On the other hand, if it weren't for these HOGs, I would never have known what a 'carabiner' was called.

Oh, sunimae, You made me laugh. The only reason I ever knew what a caribiner was, was because my youngest daughter started climbing mountains when she was in her 20's, but have you ever heard of a melon called a plummet? That one remains unexplained, even in the country the game was made in, as far as I am concerned (not this game). LOL!

[Post New]by BethThomlinson on Oct 3, 10 9:09 AM
You all have listed most of mine, especially horseshoes, lizards, butterflies, feathers, and disgusting bugs and spiders.

But nobody has mentioned another overused item: binoculars! At least you can use binoculars almost everywhere. Although I have never had a HOG tell me "You have found a useful item: binoculars." You'd think some game somewhere would actually use binoculars for something. Oh well.

Mouse381
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Mouse381 on Oct 4, 10 9:59 PM
I don't know if anyone has thought about this, but what I constantly see is Magnifying Glass and/or Spyglass. Then, when it says "Spyglass", on some games, it will be either a telescope for a pirate, an actual magnifying glass, or an actual telescope to view the sky.
Or is it just me?

Edited on 10/04/2010 at 9:59:41 PM PST

Marissa707
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Marissa707 on Oct 6, 10 12:10 PM
Wow, the funniest tread I have read all week!
Thanks, fishies!

Uh, yes: feathers, I hate feathers in HOGS, they blend in too well.
And spiders, yak!

Oh,dear, I just noticed; I'm a seahorse now

Edited on 10/06/2010 at 12:13:07 PM PST

Go to: