Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery P.I.: Stolen in San Francisco

[Post New]by RisingSnow on Sep 15, 10 11:03 AM
I was SO excited to log in today and find a new Mystery P.I. game!
I just downloaded it and obviously haven't dug in yet. But I can tell any who read this from my previous experience with this series of Hidden Object games that if it is anything at all like the others it will provide hours of fun and excellent replay value.

One of the things that make the Mystery P.I. games so much fun is the secondary game that's included. Once you complete the initial challenge of the game, you get the opportunity to go to each game screen and find every single item hidden on them. Since this usually involves upwards of 70 to 80 objects, it's guaranteed to provide a challenge.

I'm a very avid game player and own several dozen Big Fish games. Although I enjoy marble games and time management games, the Hidden Object challenges have long been my favorites. In that very large genre Big Fish offers a massive selection. If you are new to Big Fish I can heartily recommend the Mystery P.I. series and the Dream Day Wedding series as the absolute best of the bunch. They are always challenging without being overly difficult, entertaining without being frustrating. They also are brightly lit without too many dark corners that make it almost impossible to find all the objects. Start your collection today!

silkywings
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,043 Posts

[Post New]by silkywings on Sep 15, 10 12:00 PM
Outdated and old hat...sounds like a meeting of my friends and I. But boy oh boy do we have a collection of colorful hats with wonderful dated stories.

I have the other five Mystery PI Games and will buy this one without a trial. As I have stated before elsewhere on BF. I am leaning more towards the old games from 2007 and 2008. The technical aspects of the new games, the intrigue along with the interaction are fine and good but I am getting tired of the "new" stuff very quick.

So you will excuse me if I don an old hat, tell an outdated story and revel in my memories of what used to be...someday this future will be your memories...I hope they hold up as well as mine.

Thanks BF for another great game..

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Sep 15, 10 12:26 PM
Just trialed this on dev's site last weekend and planned to buy if came to . It's here and I got it! I have all Mystery P.I. games. I fall back on them when my brain needs a break from all the dark IHOGs and Adventure-type HOGs.

One improvement is more scenery (as in the previous London game) and brighter/sharper images. I think maybe I detected some music that was different and more sounds. Or was that just me? Anyway I like the series and hope they keep coming -- like maybe to Seattle!

Happy Gaming to all!

QuietLurker
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,497 Posts

[Post New]by QuietLurker on Sep 15, 10 12:52 PM
Buying without a demo. These games are perfect for a quick break. Just relax by playing a couple of rounds - and then go back to what I was doing. Excellent replay with the unlimited. AND - I live near San Francisco!

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Sep 15, 10 4:30 PM
I'm too spoiled by all the action games like what I call hunt and peck and then you have to go to another room to find a piece you need in the other place. you know. So these are rather boring for me.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Sep 15, 10 5:48 PM
P.I. series... been there done that. Each one is the same, only the scenery changes. Just another HOG with lots of stuff to find. . Would rather save my money for something a little more exciting.

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Sep 15, 10 6:03 PM
I will d/l the demo just to have something new to play. However, the hour is just about all I can play without getting bored. I definately prefer IHOG games because even in a junk pile, you still end up finding something useful that helps you in another part of the game. I find that this is not the case with the P.I. games.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Sep 15, 10 6:16 PM
I really enjoy the Mystery P.I. games, for when I don't want to have to think too hard--just hunt for hidden objects and do some simple puzzles. I do enjoy the puzzles in these games. I like that many of the clues are "riddles" that need to be figured out. And I love that all the Spintop games have a chihuahua in some of the scenes!

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 15, 10 8:12 PM
Enjoyable game. For the most part, it's a straight HOG with just-right difficulty. I also really like that the game has a few extras - a few of the clues on your list are like little riddles to solve. Others require you to perform some interactions between various items. Also, you are looking for a key and a peace symbol in each scene which later unlock an unlimited seek & find mode and also a bonus match 3 game. The scenes are nicely done, graphics clear. A pretty solid game for when you just want to relax and not overwork your brain.

Phantom90
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery P.I.: Stolen in San Francisco

[Post New]by Phantom90 on Sep 16, 10 5:52 AM
bfgFlounder wrote:Hey Fishies! What do you think of Mystery P.I.: Stolen in San Francisco? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Phantom90
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Phantom90 on Sep 16, 10 5:57 AM
My Wife and I find this to be, as all Mystery P.I. games are, very enjoyable. While the other games are a tad more challenging, it is nice to have a straight **** game to play as we find them relaxing. My Wife is not a fan of the games that require you to go back and forth and as soon as this one came out she suggested we get it immediately LOL BF has some excellent games but could use some more like this.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Sep 16, 10 9:13 AM
the mystery p.i. series is the king of straight HOG-dom... sometimes you want to wander around and talk to people and solve outrageously difficult puzzles... and sometimes you want to sit back and let the lists keep comin'! MPI let's you get the hunt fix you sometimes miss in other games - and i love it!

i liked seeing the wonderful city of san francisco chosen - the sights, the touristy spots, the cliches and the overwhelming beauty of a city so many know and love... i don't know how i stack it up to london, but we'll see...

the mini-games are some of the same and some new and different, not all that difficult to work through, but skip-able nonetheless... and the objects are rather easy to find for the most part - with the exception of the occasional "well done" hide that seems to blend so perfectly with the surroundings you almost don't even notice it... those are the ones i live for!

then, of course, there's the challenge of finding all of the 'extras' hidden in the different locations - the keys, the peace's, and the mysterious flashlight... and how many items can you click in a row so you can get the super speed bonuses... and can you make it through every scene without a hint, or without a misclick penalty? there is a challenge if you're willing to look for it!

they say that working the brain like this keeps it in shape - i say, why not have fun while you're doing it!

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Sep 16, 10 10:48 AM
I agree with the positive comments, above, although I do think that if Spintop ever developed a "real" game, I couldn't pay fast enough.

I love the "big" games and start hearing sultry calls from my computer when a new one comes out, but there are times when I just want something to waste time. I want something where I don't need to get up close and personal with my screen, where the objects look like what they are said to be, where they are cleverly hidden and where the mini-games are good, old friends. I want something to do in that last hour before a friend comes for dinner and where I don't have to worry that I'll lose my place if I click out. I want something to play when Mr. Insomnia visits in the middle of the night, something that I can leave at the first sign of a genuine yawn.

The Mystery P.I. franchise meets, and exceeds, all these requirements plus lets me play bonus games or replay just to see if I can beat my old score. Spintop's always worth the 7 bucks and I've never been disappointed.

Auguste Dupin is awesome mystery hotness and the puppets score high on my Creep-O-Meter but sometimes you just want to exercise your clicky finger. (Hup-two-three-four. Up, down and click some more.)

crabbycat
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by crabbycat on Sep 16, 10 8:11 PM
I agree with those who love this serie's. I have most of them and enjoy going back and playing them when I need to not think too hard. A truly enjoyable series. One of my first HOGs was one of the PI games. I think I still have it on my 'puter. Yeah, they use the same venues, but sometimes you just want to sit back and find 'stuff' I'll buy this one, too. Thanks BF!!

AlaLady
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by AlaLady on Sep 16, 10 9:15 PM
Have all the Mystery P.I.; Love them all. Good relaxing games.The P.I. games is what really got me hooked on HOG THANKS BIG FISH

ilikegame
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by ilikegame on Sep 16, 10 9:52 PM
The pictures are very clear and not too hard to find the objects. A very basic HOG.

I have played all Mystery P.I. series. They are not bad, but personal suggestion is no need to buy all, just one is enough. The story design is exactly the same in all games! the only difference is the location. It is better to save the money/credit on another game.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Sep 16, 10 11:51 PM
I am at the very end of the game and can't find the gold container. I tried moving the containers back and forth and then using the crowbar - it was - well, I moved it to a place where it disappeared. Am I supposed to get an "Action hand" to press the red button? I don't.
Any help is sincerely appreciated!

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Sep 17, 10 2:43 AM
The developers at Mystery P.I. should take the great reputation these games have earned and expand on them technically before they don't have any laurels to fall back on.

There's a reason these games have a great reputation; because they're good at they do - delivering a tired and tested formula with top notch polish.

If they were to start wildly varying the games by adding the latest trendy gimmick, they'd lose that reputation in a heart beat.

Sometimes, the old routine is simply the better choice. And these games are just one such time.

MamaK9
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by MamaK9 on Sep 17, 10 7:09 AM
I find it interesting that like a few fishies have mentioned, I actually found this Big Fish web site from the first Mystery P.I. I purchased at Wal-Mart. So, I too have all of the series and will no doubt keep getting any new ones in the future.

Again, like a lot have said, this series is like an old friend. One thing I didn't see posted (and forgive me if I missed it) but if you want a "challenge", you can do the "speed" click for getting extra points. When a new list comes up, I read down the line and try to keep as many items in my head as possible so when I see them I can click rapidly and gain those extra points. I'm afraid to admit, I'm only up to 5 at a time, but it does make a bit of a challenge when I'm in the mood.

Happy gaming to all!
Cher

1unicorn
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by 1unicorn on Sep 17, 10 1:04 PM
Need help. I have found all the keys except the one in the picture of the old prospector. Have been there several times and still can't find it. Someone please help. Thanks.

Go to: