ducle
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
422 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Heroes of Kalevala

[Post New]by ducle on Sep 20, 10 9:57 AM
Now that the kind of spoiler thing about the crow is public knowledge--I've got to ask, didn't anyone else mind watching the game board burn up? It really freaked me out.

cece2u45
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by cece2u45 on Sep 20, 10 10:16 AM
cece2u45 wrote:How do you get a gardner, etc? I am not to good at this kind of game, but so far I really like it.

I could sure use some help, I have no Idea how to get a carpenter, or a gardener, please help.

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Sep 20, 10 10:34 AM
To get carpenters and gardners, you have to build up your coins. Once you have enough, the game automatically will show you the option of a carpenter, kind of like you can get upgraded trees. Slide the 'carpenter or gardner hat' onto the screen and one of the village people will put it on.

Hope that helps!

cece2u45
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by cece2u45 on Sep 20, 10 11:21 AM
Thank you, I will go try it

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Sep 20, 10 12:13 PM
A very good enjoyable game with one major flaw for people like me. The timer. the moment I'm being pushed for time I get fidgety and can't do anything. Too bad there hadn't been a relaxed option because I like everything else, but as it is had to quit after 27 minutes. Those people who want more of a challenge will probably like this one.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 20, 10 1:14 PM

I think darkdisciple1313 could use a hug or a different side of the bed this morning...

paradoxno1
Flounder
Flounder
2,497 Posts

[Post New]by paradoxno1 on Sep 20, 10 1:19 PM
You can buy the gardner on level 62 .

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Sep 20, 10 2:03 PM
I was really excited about this one, but it didn't quite cut it for me. The music drove me insane (and I rarely notice it), and the little people glaring at you - I don't know. I liked the burning border, and loved the hero help. I'm with Dark Disciple - hate loose used as lose. I noticed it right away, as it was the second time today (the first in my big city newspaper). Sorry - something just isn't right - not a buy for me. And it's nothing like Heroes of Hellas!

Sante001
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by Sante001 on Sep 20, 10 4:00 PM
I've been waiting for a good M3 game and this one fits the bill. Not to repeat what others have said, I will just add my few likes.

1. I love the timer. While this is not to everyones liking, every now and then I want something to challenge me and to keep my mind off of other stressful things (like work ) Sometimes while playing, I have gotten so caught up in the strategy that I have forgotten about the crow. Not a good thing since we have to beat him to win the game.

2. I like the idea of having to pick your hero before each level. This makes figuring out your strategy before you start playing. If one hero doesn't work, you can restart the level with another.

3. Building your village is an added plus, however, I don't see that it adds or take away from the game play.

4. Sound -- The sound of the crow and other sounds are good.

5. Graphics -- What can I say, they are appropriate for the game.

My Bottomline -- I'm off to purchase since I've already become addicted to the game.

out of 5.

Thanks BF and developers for finally getting a M3 game right!!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Sep 20, 10 4:44 PM
I like the concept of the game. The artwork is very nice and I love to go shopping and build the villages. I also enjoy the sound and visual effects and the music. This seems to be a fun game that I would buy, EXCEPT for the TIMER.

Someone said that the game has 140 levels. I had to start repeating levels as early as levels 14 or 15 because I ran out of time. There is no way I would be able to complete the game or even enjoy the upper levels with the crow and the tar to deal with.

You would think game developers would like to sell more games and not limit their sales only to the people who like the stress/challenge of the timer. With the addition of a choice for a relaxed mode this game would have the potential to appeal to many more players. Oh well, I gave it a try but this is not a game for me.

Edited on 09/20/2010 at 4:45:32 PM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Sep 20, 10 6:17 PM
I really like this game.

Everything Sante001 said. Ditto.

I am finding that I have a lot of time before the crow gets around the border. I think I will play the demo a little longer to see how difficult it does get the further I advance.
If it's not 'impossible' to beat, this is a definite buy for me.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 20, 10 7:32 PM
This is a pretty cool game, been playing for the last 1.5 hours (purchased). It's a match 3 but with a lot more going on than just that. You start the game as a settler on open land. You then have to play match 3 sets in order to win coins you can use to build up your village.

Likes: I think the village theme is cute - I like that you can see your little people running around and interacting together.

I also like that the heroes that you earn really do a fabulous job of helping you out. In the time I played, I earned two heroes - one that creates floods that progressively clears the screen from the bottom up the more you use him in a level. The other has a handy hammer attack that seems to hit a lot of tricky spots for you and again, the more you use him, the better.

I liked that you are shown the match 3 puzzle before each level and given the chance to choose a hero you wish to use given the obstacles before you.

I enjoy all the variety for each level. I'm only up to level 21 (out of 140) and already I have 2 separate villages I can build up separately (and more to unlock), 2 heroes I can use within the match 3 games to help me clear the boards (again, more to unlock), There are lots of obstacles too -there are pieces frozen solid, some that are chained, some that are metal, there is tar that creeps up from the bottom on some levels, and a nasty crow sent by a wicked witch that makes its way around the board (this is your timer). You must flip all the selected tiles from yellow to blue before the crow makes it to the end.

Dislikes: I wish the villagers did a little more. I earned a farmer upgrade but the only thing I notice is a villager running around in a hat. I'd like to see them actually build some crops. Also, many of the upgrades you earn are trees or flowers - I'd rather earn a few more buildings or other props. I also wish there was some help available to interpret what the villagers are trying to tell you. I think I've been pretty accurate guessing so far but would be nice to know if I'm right or not.

There really is sooo much going on in a level at any given time that you almost find yourself frantically making matches trying to beat the crow. I also wasn't crazy about matches that have to be near the crow to freeze it in its place doesn't give a little wider girth for being close to him. Sometimes you make a match right near him but it's just slightly out of range and doesn't count. (continued)

Edited on 09/20/2010 at 7:35:54 PM PST

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Sep 20, 10 7:33 PM
Continued from above--

Given the number of times you CAN freeze the crow and still work on the board, it would be nice to have a little more leeway or freeze him for slightly longer.

All in all, this is an enjoyable and addicting game. My only fear is that it may become quite difficult long before the 140th level. There have already been a few levels I have had to replay but as others have mentioned, it's usually easier the second time through.

I would give this game 4 out of 5 stars. I think with the right tweaks it could have been a 5. Fun game - recommend this one!

October7
Minnow
Minnow
298 Posts

[Post New]by October7 on Sep 20, 10 11:21 PM
I would have bought it but for the timer. The crow actually is the timer. I agree with some of the others. I want a relaxed game. I had to do one level 4 times. Not for me.

Donick2
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Donick2 on Sep 21, 10 12:21 AM
dcairns wrote:It was okay. I played the demo for the full hour but I wouldn't buy it. Not my cup of tea. I am getting antsy for a good game! When you buy the CE's and then the normal version comes out, you are left with nothing for that day. Not to mention, the games the past few weeks have been less than stellar. I have been playing old ones which I normally never do!

I agree 100 % except I would say terrible games I usually buy daily but for first time ever NOTHING worth buying for 5 days now I am off else where, 2 TM in a day & 2 match 3 in a day that is no joke can you imagine the up roar if 2 HOG or adventure in a day I have had it with BF lately unless big changes soon be BIG GOODBYE

Edited on 09/21/2010 at 12:24:48 AM PST

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Sep 21, 10 5:18 AM
The graphics look hand drawen and are gorgeous. The gameplay is fun and challenging. I like how you create villiages and upgrades to them as you advance. The only annoyance is the crow, who is the timer. Otherwise this is a great game.

It's an A+.

Fransje66
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,217 Posts

[Post New]by Fransje66 on Sep 21, 10 7:07 AM

Excellent different 3-M with a different twist.
And l don't mind the timer.

dandunte
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by dandunte on Sep 21, 10 7:50 AM
I also enjoyed it. For some of those that think it is too easy, you just need to play further. There are several levels that I had to play numerous times because I ran out of time. But if you pick the right hero he/she can make or break you.

Something else I noticed is that you do not always have to clear all the tar, etc. to win the game. I do not know what the trigger is, but a few times I still had tar on the board and still one the game.

But if you don't like timers there are several levels where it will kill you
I like games I can do more that just match three. There is x number of villages on your journey and you build those villages up till you reach the last improvement. In all over 100 puzzles.

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Sep 21, 10 10:32 AM
I've only played 30 minutes of the trial and this is going to be a buy for me. I love M3/building combos and from what I've read in other reviews there's 140 levels and other villages to build up. It's going to be a nice, long game.

I don't mind timers. It adds to the challenge of beating a level. When you have more than one hero, the strategy is determining which hero is best suited for the level. You can view the level and choose the hero prior to playing.

Graphics are nice, the tiles are a good size for old eyes.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Sep 21, 10 2:12 PM
Having struggeled mightily with this game (given that I'm a slow mouse mover, with arthritic hands), and gotten to around level 130 so far, I am still glad I bought this game. It is lots of fun both to play and to build the villages. One message I'd like to pass on: never give up easily on a level. A lot of winning a harder level is luck -- plus choosing a good hero, but I've done miserably three times and then won with the same hero. The difference between winning and losing can be getting a match-5 in the right place at the right time. Also, some levels are very deceptive (like a block of ice with no tiles underneath, so you can finish the level without breaking the ice), and you might just figure out the deception and then win on the next try.

Some games have levels that are just about impossible to win for us klutzier players, no matter how hard we try. Fortunately, this is not one of them!

Go to: