eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Penalty Box?!? Not just in hockey anymore!

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Sep 22, 10 2:54 AM
Penalty Box?!?

Here is what will kill this game. Most hidden object games will have an overclick penalty. This game goes above and beyond however and this is not meant as praise. The screen shakes which is far worse than the normal cursor going crazy and it gives you a message telling you to slow down. If you click again then it does the same thing only the message is nastier. A third time means you get a message telling you that you were naughty and the game sends you to a penalty box. You have got to be kidding me!

The penalty box is quite annoying because you are ripped away from the quest and you have to search for a few objects which have nothing to do with the main story of the game. It was here where it said you got a recharge hint every minute, but I'm not sure if this carries into the main story with the objects or not. You cannot leave the penalty box until you find the handful of objects given as your penance for angering the overclicking gods. If you leave the game and resume it, you are still stuck in the penalty box so you can't even cheat to bypass it.

Even worse is that when you get out of the penalty box and click something you already have your first strike out of three. The cursor is quite sensitive so if you click near but not on the object you might get the dreaded warning screen shake. I personally use a trackball and one bad habit I have is that I often rest my hand on it and sometimes my finger twitches causing an errant click. Usually this isn't a problem but in this game it was. Anyone with similar physical issues should be advised of this.

As you can tell, I really hated the penalty box because it stressed me out and added an element to the game that was not needed and indeed took away from the game experience. The one thing about the penalty box I liked was it reminded me of not having to sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap in school anymore but overall if I had my way I'd put the designers in a penalty box and not let them out until they removed this nonsense from the game.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Goddess Chronicles

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Sep 22, 10 2:58 AM
CasualGran wrote:To be punished in a game is rediculous IMO. Cause, what the heck is it good for? Who benefits if you can't play anymore for several seconds or minutes?

Really, I don't understand developers using any kind of punishment in their games. It's good for nothing.

So... this game is nothing to me too. Not only do I dislike the story and the light blue and pink colours, I simply detest the shaking of the screen when I misclick, let alone being send to some sort of a time out room to pay for my crimes.

How stupid can you get?

This is a rediculous game IMO, good only to be flushed down the toilet.

Allow me to join the club...

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Sep 22, 10 3:38 AM
CasualGran wrote:To be punished in a game is rediculous IMO. Cause, what the heck is it good for? Who benefits if you can't play anymore for several seconds or minutes?

Really, I don't understand developers using any kind of punishment in their games. It's good for nothing.

So... this game is nothing to me too. Not only do I dislike the story and the light blue and pink colours, I simply detest the shaking of the screen when I misclick, let alone being send to some sort of a time out room to pay for my crimes.

How stupid can you get?

This is a rediculous game IMO, good only to be flushed down the toilet.

Tell them how it is Casualgran! I am not going to spend my money to be chastised!!!!!! Heck,I won't be chastised for free! What happened casualgran? Did your finger get tired clicking the thumbs down icon? Here,I'll help
Dr.good

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 3:41:23 AM PST

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Sep 22, 10 3:57 AM
Well, thanks to the reviews from all you early birds, I avoided the dreaded
punishment room. What got to me was the disc plate puzzles....around the 5th one I was screaming ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????? I didn't mind the actual FROG part, but I really never knew what was going on and where we were going.
Was the story muddled or was it me? In general, I thought the objects were not that hard to find. I also felt it needed an 'inventory' section; I kept finding things to pick up, but had not run across anything that needed a tool. It would have been nice to tuck them away while I looked around.
It's no buy for me; those disc puzzles annoyed my last nerve......

October7
Minnow
Minnow
298 Posts

[Post New]by October7 on Sep 22, 10 3:59 AM
I also don't like the click penalty. Won't be buying it.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Sep 22, 10 4:06 AM
I have been waiting for a good game and thought - finally! But having played about 15 minutes of the demo, I realized I will still be waiting for a good game. This is absolutely awful!

Come on BFG you guys are usually so wonderful providing us with quality games, what is going on? I actually bought a game yesterday that I normally would never buy just to have something to play.

This one is a definitely no buy for me!

carolinacat
Minnow
Minnow
287 Posts

[Post New]by carolinacat on Sep 22, 10 4:10 AM
It looks like the Samantha Swift games but not as good.

I don't like being penalized for misclicks, and when people get this frustrated over gameplay, it's NOT a good game.

I am waiting for some really good games from BFG, too, and this is not one yet. Seems like there's a scarcity of good card games anymore and developers are concentrating on hidden object games.

I won't be buying this one. I guess it's the "end of summer" reruns for me...

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Sep 22, 10 4:16 AM
Graphics: clear but infantile. Punishment room: infantile. Game play: unclear because poorly explained. HOG scenes: clear, infantile (over and over you click on a geared object to move it and find the piece you're looking for). Mini-games: simplistic and infantile. Story line: barely there, simplistic and infantile. There is a theme here but I am not sure the game developers will be able to figure it out.

With so many good games around, I don't see any reason to bother with this one.

I could write more but I have to go delete the game from my file NOW..

Reggiesmum
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by Reggiesmum on Sep 22, 10 4:24 AM
Most. Annoying. Game. Ever.

[Post New]by Irongirl on Sep 22, 10 4:30 AM
I didn't mind the graphics overly, but the sensitive cursor kept sending me to the penalty box. I got as far as the scene with the swans and the spiral staircase, but it wouldn't let me go any further. It just kept sparkling around the swans and when I clicked on them, it said I couldn't carry anymore "karma beads." Would like to know if anyone got past the swans and how.......

[Post New]by Coronagold on Sep 22, 10 4:34 AM
Heh, I'll try this one, but I bet I won't have fun.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Sep 22, 10 5:21 AM
Absolutely ridiculous! A penalty box? Being penalized for EVERY SINGLE WRONG CLICK and being sent to my room like a little kid. I'm not a child, and I don't appreciate being treated like one--especially since, thanks to the medication I take, my hands tend to shake. It's a slight tremor--but it's enough to screw up clicks of the mouse on occasion.

The fact that many of the items look like one another doesn't help. Oh, and if you don't click on precisely the right area of an item, the game, again, will punish you. This is particularly nasty when the item in question is 90% behind something else.

Finally, there's no help button. So if you find all the hidden objects in a room and you still can't get out, there's no button that you can click on to discover what the game wants you to do under these circumstances.

BRG has many excellent games. This is not one of them.

firebird40
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by firebird40 on Sep 22, 10 5:30 AM
I don't mind hand drawn games, so the graphics didn't bother me, but the voice-over was non-existent, or so muddled I couldn't even hear it in the first two main story scenes, so not sure what the story was on this one. Since I like a good story, that was a definite drawback.

The objects aren't too difficult, but they are small. The puzzles are repetitive, and game details are poorly explained or not explained at all.

The worst thing about this game is the screen shake and "time-out" room. I avoided the time out room thanks to the reviews here but the trade off was that I had to play so slowly that the game wasn't enjoyable. AND I got sparkles to "help" me out lol because I wasn't finding things fast enough. The snarky comments when I did misclick reminded me of being in grade school.

Thanks but uh, no.

2 out of five overall.

jma0909
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by jma0909 on Sep 22, 10 6:21 AM
lol!Maybe they throw games like this in to get everyone stirred up. After reading all of the reviews, I have GOT to try this and see how it is. Happy Day, all.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Sep 22, 10 6:28 AM
This is NOT the kind of game I want to play at six am. I found this game to have no rhymn or reason, it didn't make sense to me. If you make a mistake they punish you for making said mistake. I'm sorry but there is no way I'm going to buy a game that will surely drive you over the edge.

slinkysmom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by slinkysmom on Sep 22, 10 6:36 AM
jkuci wrote:
OK I'm only in this game for 20 minutes and I've been sent to the "time out" room twice already for mis-clicks!

Regardless the cartoony hand drawn graphics, this is a hard one. I'll try it again tomorrow when my brain is functioning...

slinkysmom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by slinkysmom on Sep 22, 10 6:38 AM
Do not feel bad I have had 25 minutes on game and been in time out 5 times already........cursor is so sensitive that if you leave it anywhere on screen to look around it automatically clicks and tells me one more time.......time out.
This is wacko game........more familiar with time out than game story.
Forget this! It is stupid and no way even at DD price would I purchase it.
PS Trying tomorrow will net same results........it's not your brain it is the stupidity of the game!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Sep 22, 10 6:44 AM
I have wondered why this game isn`t a bigfish-exclusive (by watching on the screenshots), but now I know why: The game is not good. The graphic is good and clear but the cursor is not very good (but maybe its my new system), I really, really hate the penalty room and the "shaking-screen", the gameplay itself is okay, game seems also be very, very short (I have found 1 ring in 20 minutes - the games has only 5 rings, so I think it might be 30 minutes-40 minutes over the 1 hour trial time for me.) No buy for me

Edited on 09/22/2010 at 6:52:00 AM PST

Tellah
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Tellah on Sep 22, 10 6:55 AM
I love hand-drawn graphics, so this one had a very appealing look to me.

Unfortunately I'll have to go with what seems to be the majority opinion- I hated how strict the click penalties were.
I was getting click penalties for clicking ON the object I was supposed to find- but apparently it was not the right part to click on or something (the first close-up scene with the green statue/relief that was in pieces. If I clicked on a piece that was hiding behind like a loop or something, I got a misclick message for clicking on the big green piece that was showing through a loop!). The screen-shake for EVERY misclick was obnoxious, and I just gave up after it threw me in the penalty room.

I can understand a small penalty for misclicking a bunch (I don't mind a lower score on a scored HOG or even when the cursor twirls around a little), but this seems way too strict for me. Especially in a game where some objects are hidden under debris and the like and you have to find tools to move things/etc.

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Sep 22, 10 7:18 AM
This game has some potential. I do like the graphics--sort of Samantha Swiftian. The click penalty is annoying because of the shaking, but c'mon guys--you are on trial to become goddess-like, and goddesses can't make mistakes!!! You can avoid the time-out room--it's three wrong clicks, but if you get a correct click before the third is up, the mistaken clicks are cleared.

The circular puzzles are easy because they are only there to obtain the karma-bubble hints.

The one thing that bothers me (oh and I had the sound off--always do) is it feels like something is missing, such as when you complete a room, there should be some notification, some kind of "yay! I completed a trial of the gods!" comment, something! Otherwise, it's just kind of a boring "move from room-to-room" feeling. I certainly didn't feel any sense of accomplishment!!

The game is somewhat interesting, but I'm left feeling flat and not satisfied. It's a no-buy for me.

Go to: