calbrec
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Post any Roads of Rome technical issues here only

[Post New]by calbrec on Sep 27, 10 12:45 PM
Same thing...screen goes blank often....press escape and it comes back...very annoying but if can fix would buy

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Sep 27, 10 1:00 PM
About the Access Violation at startup, it seems this is the exact same problem as some people were having with Farmers Market. Basically, it's the Big Fish Manager creating the problem, not the game!

Check the Farmers Markets forum, first post on the second page of tech issues thread for a solution to bypass this problem for now. I'm just wondering if this solution also works once the game has been registered though -- working for me with the trial so far.

Big Fish: any insight into that? There really is a problem with the Manager and certain games!

Edited on 09/27/2010 at 1:01:42 PM PST

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Sep 27, 10 1:35 PM
Here is info I posted in Deadtime Stories forum a while ago: It is the same situation with this game. It also helps with the laggy game play. Hope this helps some of you:

I found a way around the problem with the access violation error. I have Windows 7, but the same thing works in VISTA. I had to do this same thing to play My Kingdom for the Princess because the BFG game manager was causing my game to play really slowly. It is a problem with the game manager and not the game.

Anyway, here is what you do:
Go to the folder where the game is installed (you can get there by right-clicking on the shortcut on your desktop and then choosing open folder location in the window that pops up). Then find the game file - it should be "roadsofrome.exe"
NOTE: Do not choose the Launchgame.bfg file.

Right-click on the file name and copy the file and then paste right into the same directory (folder). A new file will appear called "roadsofrome - copy.exe" Now right-click that file and choose "send to" on the menu that pops up, then choose desktop (shortcut).
You should now have an icon on your desktop called roadsofrome - copy.exe.
Launch the game from this icon instead of the old one that BF put on your desktop. Do NOT launch the game from the game manager.
It is important to copy the game and make sure the name is changed to bypass the game manager, otherwise this will not work.
I now have no access violation errors and I was able to continue a game from where I left off with the demo (after I purchased the game).
Good Luck!

[Post New]by gregandkay on Sep 27, 10 8:46 PM
Tasks are to build a road and farm. So, I've built both bridges and lumber yard. Picked up all food, wood, etc. I've attempted to build a road in all directions, to no avail. Is this a glitch in the program? If not, got a hint? Thank you. I do love the game! Level 4:

Anya419
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by Anya419 on Sep 28, 10 6:15 AM
I had no problem downloading or speed of the game, I just don't have a cursor. I am running Windows 7 64-bit with a major graphics card and I don't understand where the cursor is. I can see the "leaf" sometimes after I have clicked on something.

[Post New]by pebbles9 on Sep 28, 10 7:49 AM
I am having the same problem really jerky and very slow!!!

_Angel_angel wrote:Game is 'bogged down'.

step
by
step
movement

Very jerky

Angel

ETA: Have reloaded, no help.
Have rebooted, no help.

There are many posts of problems, why is there no BFG response?

I dl games every day here, no problems, so why is this game the exception?

I will not buy this game as it plays now (in slow motion).

And that is a bummer cuz I really like it.

Angel

[Post New]by Tilandra on Sep 28, 10 8:16 AM
I have similar problems... I start the game fine, get to the task of building the road, and instantly my screen goes black when I click on the build spot. The only way I could get it to go on is to hit the escape key, then the game continues as normal. This total black screen happens often during the tutorial level... I'm thinking it's freaking out whenever some sort of instructional pop-up shows up, because it never tells me anything to do while it's visible and working.

I have a Radeon HD videocard, and judging from the other responses I agree that it is probably a video card issue.

I have Windows 7 and I have noticed that if I have a browser window open when I start any BFG games that the monitor will flicker back and forth doing weird crap UNLESS I start the game and immediately click my browser to bring it to the top while the game loads. I think this is some kind of weird interaction with the way Windows 7 will "split" the screen and place two windows side-by-side.

So perhaps those of you with flicker problems might try making sure any programs with windows, such as a browser, are closed before you load a BFG game.

stcyhood
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by stcyhood on Sep 28, 10 9:42 PM
The problem with the game is not BigFish... it is definitely Realore. I tried the demo out when it was first released on Realore's website and I could play the first level and then when going to the second level it would go to a black, blank screen and I would have to CTRL + ALT + DEL to get to task manager and end task every single time I tried to play. So, I ended up uninstalling it and decided to wait until it came out on either BF or GameHouse since I subscribe to them both. Well, now that it has been released on both sites I've tried both BF and GH demos and the exact same thing happened on both of them. I have Windows, 64-bit system also and I think this is the issue and has nothing to do with the video card. Especially when looking at the other posts from GH's site and they have a Windows 7, 64-bit system also. I wish they would not release games like this that have not been tested on all systems... and it even says on GH's site that it supports Windows 7, 64-bit OS (false advertising from Realore, if you ask me... I've never had any luck with any of there games). It's very frustrating as I was ready to buy it too.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Sep 28, 10 11:38 PM
^ I don't know... I have Windows 7 64-bit with an ATI card and, as long as I use that trick not to run the Big Fish Manager, the game runs fine on my system. I played up to level 5 in the demo without any problem (but I do get an instant Access Violation if I try to launch the game from the default Big Fish shortcut that goes through the Game Manager).

[Post New]by ArthurDent on Sep 28, 10 11:39 PM
@stcyhood:

- I have the exact same problems but with 32bit Windows 7 and Mobility Radeon HD4570.
- It seems that the game cannot function on either 32bit or 64bit Windows 7.
- None of the "workarounds" listed have any effect too and this game's problems have nothing to do with BigFish Game Manager.

The only resolution would propably be a new build from the developer.

Regards,
ArthurDent

Edited on 09/28/2010 at 11:39:57 PM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 29, 10 1:52 AM
My ATI Radeon HD5750 witih Vista does not work either.

As I said earlier, other games I have had this exact same issue but those had an option to turn off 3d acceleration which corrects the black or flickering screen- this game does not have that option so our cards are not working with this game.

Realore needs to add the option to turn off 3d acceleration.

Edited on 09/29/2010 at 1:54:20 AM PST

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Sep 29, 10 6:33 AM
Is there going to be a fix for this game? Was rather hoping BF would have posted now with an update on actions being taken. Most frustrating. Never had a single problem with any other game from here or other game sites.

Nessikk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Nessikk on Sep 29, 10 6:34 AM
Generally speaking, it's new ATI drivers' bug. There is an incopatibility of the game engine and ATI drivers. Not only Roads of Rome faces this problem, but other games which work on this game engine, too.
ATI developers promise to fix it and provide everyone with the updated version asap.
You will find more information on the AMD forum: [removed by moderator]

In order to start playing Roads of Rome, the only decision for now is to turn to the previous (older) ATI drivers - version 10.6 and earlier.

Edited on 10/02/2010 at 9:11:55 AM PST

[Post New]by catsholidayhome on Sep 29, 10 7:31 AM
Thank you Nessikk for posting that - makes things a little clearer!

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Sep 29, 10 8:03 AM
ArthurDent wrote:@stcyhood:

- I have the exact same problems but with 32bit Windows 7 and Mobility Radeon HD4570.
- It seems that the game cannot function on either 32bit or 64bit Windows 7.
- None of the "workarounds" listed have any effect too and this game's problems have nothing to do with BigFish Game Manager.

The only resolution would propably be a new build from the developer.

Regards,
ArthurDent

Arthur, I beg to differ about the Win 7 issue. I have Win 7 64-bit and it works just fine after I apply my workaround to the BFG game manager issue. The slow game play/blanking screen IS probably your video driver, but not have anything to do with Win7.

Also, govegril, there are probably some settings in your video card where you can manually turn off the 3D acceleration by choosing not to let the application manage it for you. I'm not sure with ATI radeon, but my NVIDIA has this ability. However, I agree that the game developer should make this option available. Normal people don't know how to go into their video driver and make setting changes, nor should they have to.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 29, 10 8:09 AM
If ATI put out new drivers to fix that then that would be good and more chance of that happening than getting 3d acc disabled. I already had to get a credit back on Farm Mania 2 which is also broken with this new card - and also from Realore.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 29, 10 8:12 AM
cstdenis wrote:
Also, govegril, there are probably some settings in your video card where you can manually turn off the 3D acceleration by choosing not to let the application manage it for you. I'm not sure with ATI radeon, but my NVIDIA has this ability. However, I agree that the game developer should make this option available. Normal people don't know how to go into their video driver and make setting changes, nor should they have to.

Hi cstdenis- I have checked and changed every single setting trying to get this game and Farm Mania 2 to work- unfortunatley nothing worked so it could be something to do with the ATI drivers like another poster has explained.

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Sep 29, 10 8:18 AM
govegril wrote:
cstdenis wrote:

Hi cstdenis- I have checked and changed every single setting trying to get this game and Farm Mania 2 to work- unfortunatley nothing worked so it could be something to do with the ATI drivers like another poster has explained.

Yep, I'm pretty sure it's your ATI driver. Did you try rolling back to previous version like the poster suggested? I used to have ATI and I found that they really "never" updated their drivers (esp. for laptops). That's why I switched. You can find third-party driver updates, but be careful where you go to get them.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Sep 29, 10 8:50 AM
Hi again cstdenis

No, I am not rolling back my drivers for 2 games. I own hundreds and hundreds of games and not just casual games so I might break other games by doing so.

I will just have to pass on the game or wait to see if ATI bring out a driver that works.

Ratatouille
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by Ratatouille on Sep 29, 10 8:52 AM
Must be a problem with the ATI driver version indeed -- I do have an ATI card, but currently running an older driver for it and the game's working fine as long as I bypass the BF Game Manager.

So it's not an issue with Windows 7 or 64-bit, because that's what I have too.

Go to: