Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Rainblood: Town of Death

[Post New]by scooter0327 on Oct 5, 10 11:18 AM
I really enjoy RPGs, but just couldn't "hack" this one. I played for 28 mins. (which is looking like the record) just in the hopes that this would get better--NOT! I could have toughed out the graphics for a while, but just too rudimenatry. Throwback to the 80's & NOT in a good, retro way.

Also, maybe I'm a baby about this, but I really dont care for the blood & gore (my 7yr old likes to sit & watch sometimes)--really need to have a disclaimer on this one.
No buy for me

bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Oct 5, 10 11:27 AM
Hi everyone,

We are always happy to hear feedback, good or bad, but let's remember to be constructive and respectful as per our FAQ and General Rules.

If you find a post or comment offensive please contact a moderator privately rather than posting publicly in order to avoid arguments and keep peace in the pond.

Thanks everyone!

bfgTigris

[Post New]by nikkislayer on Oct 5, 10 11:30 AM
This game would be ok if DADA was easier to kill. I have tried 3 times and keep dying that is with using magic etc. What is the point if unable to defeat him.

Regards

Mopface
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by Mopface on Oct 5, 10 12:12 PM
Ummm... 1-1/2 minutes for me. Couldn't get past all the dialog even with rapid clicking.

I kinda liked the "cartoon-y" drawings, as someone called them - Drawn -comes to mind - a bit

Atmosphere fine- but couldn't get past the dialog to do anything.

Not a keeper for me. Sorry.

jklinders
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by jklinders on Oct 5, 10 12:46 PM
I liked the art style in this game actually. The principal characters that I was able to see were well drawn and the story that I was able to see before the demo ran out was interesting. You do need to use strategy to play the game. There is a great need to use you special abilities to get through the fights. I found the opening battle easy to get through but ran into a brick wall just outside town. That would be my fault not the game's.

None of the other RPGs in BFG in actually dare to challenge the player in the combat mechanics. When my credit comes in I'll probably snap it up.

As for comments about this being retro,or 80s...please as if. As in as if any game in this site gets past being casual. For the most part all the game types here 6-16 years behind the times. Just prettier graphics. I come here for casual games I can play before going to work, my serious gaming dollar goes elsewhere.

Just my 2

[Post New]by knothare on Oct 5, 10 3:46 PM
Actually kudos to BF for having this game. i bought this somewhere else and 6.99 is a great deal. For anyone interested in this game know it is a challenging one and it has a very complex story line you have to pay attention too. If you play RPG, this is a game you will keep on the computer for a long while. Unless you are much better than i am -which is probably most.. Also. this is an animated game-made with no default materials. It has being done better but as someone who prefer animation, this is a 6 or 7 out of 10. If you are fan of the graphic marital arts books, get it. P.S. Sorry about that I typed this pretty quick just in case -By graphic marital arts book I mean Marital art comic books. Nothing Freaky to see here-once again OOPS

Edited on 10/05/2010 at 10:09:06 PM PST

jlvlw
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by jlvlw on Oct 5, 10 5:20 PM
Ok... I have been trying to download this for most of the evening and it seems to always hang on the installation. From the posts here I don't think I would like the game so I'm just going to give up. Don't need the hassle.

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Oct 5, 10 5:24 PM
I played the game for 10 minutes before conceding that it was not for me.

However, I really liked the music in the game and if I was into RPG's, the story seemed interesting enough. Not having tried more than a couple RPG's, I am not very good at them and I am not interested in just trying to kill more and more people.

Happy gaming to those that enjoyed.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 5, 10 8:01 PM

I'm buying this game, even though I tend to like more peaceful RPGs (like Academagia).

There are days when slaughter of unequivocal evil is very satisfying (in game proxy, of course).

Thanks BFG for offering this great game for those days!

jeanniemouse
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,337 Posts

[Post New]by jeanniemouse on Oct 5, 10 8:54 PM
knothare wrote: If you are fan of the graphic marital arts books, get it.

*Tries to picture a graphic marital art.*
*Gets out of the pond VERY QUICKLY.*

(Sorry, knothare...couldn't resist. )

I was previewing this hoping for a great Dark & Eerie game, but since I don't have good enough reflexes to kill a mosquito, I'm very appreciative of the reviews from both those who like this and those who don't. Thanks so much, everyone!

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Oct 6, 10 5:17 AM
Oh dear.....that is a funny typo...... ....runs along the lines of some of the ones I have done.......

[Post New]by oceanloverOH on Oct 6, 10 6:26 PM
I adore RPGs....but this game was terrible. I lasted ablout 7 minutes, then quit and removed the game. Bleeeech.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Oct 10, 10 12:27 PM
Actually, I love the minimalist look of the graphics in this game. I also love the dark atmosphere. It reminds me of the Kill Bill movies (or almost anything by Quentin Tarantino) - not my usual cup of tea, but I can't stop watching them.

Rainblood is definitely not a game for everyone and each has to make that judgment on his/her own, but for me it's a buy - even if I never get past the first set of battles. And yes, I usually buy HOGs and IHOGs, but I've loved true Adventure games and RPGs for years and it's always great to see a new one with something different to offer. It's also a plus that the battles are turn based, since my reflexes aren't all that great. All I have to do now is figure out the best battle strategy...

bbeaver1946
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by bbeaver1946 on Oct 13, 10 7:03 PM
I have never reviewed a game before and I hesitate to now because of all the negative comments. However, I found it to be quite good in its strategy. The fight engine is very good, allowing you to make multiple decisions and some of the fights are very intense.

Overall I found it a very good game and the writer is very helpful and prompt with his response.

[Post New]by Rodonn on Oct 15, 10 7:23 AM
I'm enjoying it... but then, I tend to like old Hong Kong cinema plots and Japanese 'Chan-Barra' movies.
I like the over all look, although the movement controls (such as they are) can be 'picky'. The turn based combat works for me, and to survive the first 'big' encounter, it really helps to read the skills manuals in the game.
One comment/question - is this the 1.15 version of the game? Reading the game author home site, the dialogues have been rewritten to be less 'Chinglish' (although quaint use of English seems to be a feature of BFG products)

It's a departure for HOG/IHOG players, I would admit. However, it is mostly point and click, and, if you read the in game guides on how the skills work, the combat really doesn't need much more manual dexterity being able to point and click with a mouse.
In terms of 'gore' warnings... how sensitive ARE people? It's far from graphic...

Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by Slite on Oct 29, 10 2:09 AM
Leaty, you may have come on a little strong but you sure spoke the truth.

As for the game, I got too frustrated too fast. Tried three times to get through the initial sets of combat and failed. It was frustrating partly because I couldn't tell if I was failing due to bad luck or due to incorrect choices. Maybe it was just too steep a learning curve for me. The combat also went on so long that I just wanted it to be over. And I've loved several games with turn-based strategic combat (Heroes of Might & Magic, Betrayal at Krondor, etc.) but I guess this won't be one of them.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Nov 4, 10 5:38 AM
jeanniemouse wrote:
knothare wrote: If you are fan of the graphic marital arts books, get it.

*Tries to picture a graphic marital art.*
*Gets out of the pond VERY QUICKLY.*

(Sorry, knothare...couldn't resist. )

LOL...

As for the game, it may be slightly bloody although I think the visual art is very elegant and cool and teh red sure looks dramatic and beautiful on the grey.
I loved the design and the music, I loved the battles as you actually have to use soem strategy (my demo expired while I was with Sawer and Strengther ), I was feeling the story was very "oriental legend" style and although I can understand why so many people didn't like it I think I will buy it even if just beacuse it looks so different from other RPG. I just hope I'm as happy about it as one of the Fishies said he/she is at the "Color me surprised" thread.
Cheers

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Nov 6, 10 1:59 PM
Slite wrote:Leaty, you may have come on a little strong but you sure spoke the truth.

As for the game, I got too frustrated too fast. Tried three times to get through the initial sets of combat and failed. It was frustrating partly because I couldn't tell if I was failing due to bad luck or due to incorrect choices. Maybe it was just too steep a learning curve for me. The combat also went on so long that I just wanted it to be over. And I've loved several games with turn-based strategic combat (Heroes of Might & Magic, Betrayal at Krondor, etc.) but I guess this won't be one of them.

Slite, I can't even tell you how many times I tried to win that initial battle before finding the winning combo. The key is to really use those defensive spells, especially Phantomslash. Phantomslash not only allows you to dodge most attacks, but returns the damage to the enemy that tried to attack you. You can win nearly all the initial battles using this alone. You might want to give it another shot. JMO, but I think this game is completely worth the effort.

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Nov 25, 10 9:12 PM
Overall recommendation: Try before you buy. Hardcore RPG players will like this, but many of you will not. Be advised the tone of this game is fairly dark and this is not a "pet the happy pink kitten!" type of game.

Graphics: Very unusual. Apparently hand-drawn and not the standard cookie cutter ones seen in many RPGs. The darker tone of them may not appeal to players. More hardcore types may appreciate the simplicity.

Music: Interesting.

Story: Again, this is a darker toned story where the player is a player who laments causing death. The first town is being afflicted with a plague, the pharmacist abandons the town, and a little girl is cut in half by the evil creatures within the first ten minutes. Not the most cheerful fare. People who hate to read are not going to like this game because the story seems to be complex with lots of reading.

Gameplay: This is not an easy game. There are no difficulty levels and for those who play RPGs, you can't just simply do a Conan the Barbarian and hack and slash through the game. Use the skills (spells) provided! You will not live without them. If you are hardcore then you'll like this. Casual players will be discouraged.

nehmah
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by nehmah on Dec 14, 10 12:44 PM
Gee fellow-Fishies, it's so nice to know that I am allowed to decide for myself if I like a game. Thank you.
I liked the look and animation of this game. I have deleted several of the trials within 5-10 minutes, generally due to poor controls or other technical problems. (Older system here)
This one will get the full 60 min trial. nehmah

Go to: