kelnjor
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,088 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat

[Post New]by kelnjor on Oct 8, 10 5:42 PM
just done the demo, and went way to fast.. a definite buy for me!, wonderful graphics, alot of different areas to explore, the few mini puzzles i have so far encountered haven't been to difficult, though the demo ended when i had just about done the slider puzzle on door..so hoping it will take me back to same place in play, so don't have to redo, that one took a bit of patience and maneuvering
i love these types of games, with alot of interaction, i love finding items, then having to work out where they are to be used! and just a few HOG scenes, and thankfully they are nice and clear, and not overly cluttered like you will find in some games.
there are 2 modes of play, so you will have the extra "twinkles" if you prefer. i haven't used the hint button yet, so not sure on the loading time.
a really fun challenging game, not too easy and not too hard, really enjoyable..looking forward to see what else it will bring

[Post New]by Sylbel on Oct 9, 10 7:46 AM
I've just completed the non CE version of the game and I must amdit that I enjoyed it. I used the challenge mode. It took me a little longer over 4 hours to complete, without using any hints or the strategy guide.
Some of the puzzles were extremely easy and others you needed to concentrate a little more. I would definately recommend this game to everyone.
There are scenes that suggest violence and may be upsetting to younger players though.

Enjoy!

Edited on 10/09/2010 at 7:51:40 AM PST

sheilaclown
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by sheilaclown on Oct 9, 10 8:22 AM
I did play the demo CE but waited for the non-CE version... I'm so glad i decided to do the demo first as I cannot find any trace of the spade - even after looking at the walkthrough. So where on earth is it or can I find another one somewhere else? I really want to get this BUT I do want to be able to play it. Thanks for listening.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Oct 9, 10 11:02 AM
This game was truly outstanding! I thought it was many times better than the previous Edgar Allan Poe games. I'd almost put it right up there with RTR. Its style and interaction during game play, going back and forth between locations, reminded me of RTR somewhat. The puzzles and locks were very clever and not as mind-bendingly difficult as in the Safecracker game. Loved the slider puzzles, and also the humorous chicken. Well designed, gorgeous artwork, and not too terribly difficult to be frustrating. I had to check the w/t occasionally to see where I was supposed to go next, but most of the game made perfect sense as to what the next goal was.

Loved this one!! Applause for the creators and thank you for a superb game!

Terri218
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by Terri218 on Oct 9, 10 11:10 AM
Why have they made it so hard to exit this game? I'm not talking about the annoying Are you sure you want to quit type of thing. This goes into an exit scene which you can't get out of by pressing "Esc" like a game last week. I had to use CTR-ALT-DEL to get out of the game. I admit it - I have to exit to check the walkthrough and I don't want to go through this every time. It is eating my demo time and it is a pain in the neck.

zorroback2
Herring
Herring
302 Posts

[Post New]by zorroback2 on Oct 9, 10 12:32 PM
Just one word - ERS! When I see this name, it is buy for me! This developer is, was and had always been the first class! After games like Steve the sheriff games, Puppet Show games, Dark Tales games, Redemption Cemetery and other From ERS game studios I waiting to see this name ever and ever! It is just perfect! Now I waiting for another hit from ERS! Please, more like this!

sheilaclown
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by sheilaclown on Oct 9, 10 1:33 PM
OK I just hate to admit that sometimes I'm not too bright... found the spade so I'm on the hunt again - definitely a buy ! :thumbup lots

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Oct 9, 10 2:14 PM
Terri218 wrote:Why have they made it so hard to exit this game? I'm not talking about the annoying Are you sure you want to quit type of thing. This goes into an exit scene which you can't get out of by pressing "Esc" like a game last week. I had to use CTR-ALT-DEL to get out of the game. I admit it - I have to exit to check the walkthrough and I don't want to go through this every time. It is eating my demo time and it is a pain in the neck.

You can use the Window key to return to the desktop and then check the walkthrough. The Window key is located on the bottom left between the CTRL and ALT keys on most keyboards. CTRL and ESC together also work to get to the desktop. The Window key comes helps in combo with the "d" letter key to minimize all open windows and return to the desktop, with the "e" key to pop open Windows explorer, and with the "r" key to pop up the run command. Gotta love those keyboard shortcuts

Terri218
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by Terri218 on Oct 9, 10 2:35 PM
Thanks dk I never knew what that key was for. If I do that though, doesn't the timer on the demo keep running?

[Post New]by gypsyx96 on Oct 9, 10 4:48 PM
I'm a bit confused. I bought and played the game last month...so I thought. I looked at the walkthru for this Black Cat and saw the first few scenes the same as the other, but then it all changes?! Is this the same game or not? I don't have the CE, just the standard edition of this game, but huh? Why is this confusing to me. It looks like a totally different game than the one I played last month with the same name. I swear, it's not the difference between CE and SE because I am an experienced played. Did my brain go on vacation here?

Btw, LOVE this game......just as much as Redemption.... keep'em coming please!!

genkicoll
Stingray
Stingray
5,732 Posts

[Post New]by genkicoll on Oct 9, 10 7:15 PM
Are you sure that you aren't thinking of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's Murders in the Rue Morgue?

hippyfishie
Minnow
Minnow
295 Posts

[Post New]by hippyfishie on Oct 9, 10 11:05 PM
Loved it! Thanks so much BF! The length really surprised me and the story and graphics kept me up all night playing. Had no problems playing and wish more games were like this one. 5 stars all the way!

scattycat
Flounder
Flounder
2,371 Posts

[Post New]by scattycat on Oct 10, 10 1:45 AM
just finished this game and I am so unhappy - just because I have finished it - what am i going to do now??? I loved this game and would rate it with RTR I would class it as an Ihog adventure hard enough to keep you on your toes but not so hard that you get frustrated. Nice mix of mini games some harder than others. the H O scenes are hard but not impossible and the hint button takes long enough to recharge that it didn't encourage me to cheat too much!

A* for this game from me

Scatty

edited to add - nice mixture of dialogue too - I can get bored with games that have too much dialogue - i want to play a game - not read!

Edited on 10/10/2010 at 1:47:23 AM PST

[Post New]by Cuddlefish on Oct 10, 10 3:25 AM
Loved it too. Took my time - needed some hints for these ol' eyes but otherwise just loved it. Great game. Lasted 4 or 5 hours. Challenging without being way too hard.

Thank you BFG and my hat's off to the developers.

frostledge
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by frostledge on Oct 10, 10 12:47 PM
I've played the CE of this game and downloaded the regular version and think it's a winner. Tell me, is it really worth the extra $$$ for the strategy guide and extra play OR do you all think the regular version is fine and dandy? Debating about waiting to accumulate credits or just diving in.....Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

318Pisces
Clownfish
Clownfish
642 Posts

[Post New]by 318Pisces on Oct 10, 10 3:10 PM
BRAVO !!! BRAVO ERS Studios!!!

Excellent game, beautifully creepy without being a nightmare giver
Loved the extra game play for the wrap-up...

The chicken cracked me up

Keep 'em comin'...

318Pisces

scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by scpotamus on Oct 10, 10 3:19 PM
I absolutely agree with Lady Cav and Scattycat! A wonderful game! Very long (way longer than I expected) just challenging enough to get your thought processes going but not impossible without a walkthrough. But you do have to think. I loved the chicken! LOL I showed it to my husband and my daughter!! I did it twice just for myself! I spent 2 days on it (yes, I did go in and out of it, but truthfully, I decided to not cop out by checking a walkthrough since this seemed to be a game that I REALLY could figure out with thought and checking past places etc.) I took my time and tried not to use any hints (I did use some) But if you really think about it you can figure it out. I loved the music! Very...mysterious and low key. This was just as good and I think longer than RTR and Dire Grove, both of which I love. Way better than Rue Morgue. I hope that when I play it again it will have different objects to find in the scenes. I wanted to buy the CE but couldn't afford it...so glad I got this one though, even without the extra's this is an over the top must have game.

[Post New]by grandmagamer49 on Oct 10, 10 4:05 PM
It took me a few days to finish the game but not due to boredom. I loved playing it and am sad that I finally finished it today . Needless to say tho the game was challenging, I had to go to the walk through a few times to help me out since there are no hints except in the HOG scenes. The graphics are dark but I had no problem locating items. I don't know about the audio portion of the game since I have a habit of muting this and skiping the dialog.
All in all well worth a credit!

flip13
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by flip13 on Oct 10, 10 5:45 PM
The best game ever. Lot s of searching for object s to use other place s . PLEASE BF,, i can t wait for the next Poe game.

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Oct 11, 10 12:41 AM
I did the beta for this game nearly 6 months ago and have been eagerly waiting for it ever since so I was thrilled when the SE finally came up.
This game is visually beautiful and all in all a GREAT game but I have one big beef with the developers. They make gorgeous, interesting games but would it kill them to find some original music?! I've heard this soundtrack at least 2 other times now (I believe in both Puppetshow games) and while it was nice enough the first time, now I'm miffed to be hearing it yet again. For lots of people the music is part of the gaming experience and for games like these that have so much thought put into them to just have the same old music thrown in is quite a let-down.

Go to: