sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Institute - A Becky Brogan Adventure

[Post New]by sartasia on Oct 13, 10 5:29 AM
Nothing to add that hasn't already been said.
Hopefully tomorrow....

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Oct 13, 10 5:33 AM
A straightforward HOG that allows for random clicking. You can click where you want, when you want, as often as you want ... and there is no penalty. You don't lose the pointless points; your cursor does not go crazy. The scenes are blurry and the objects frequently hard to find -- the random clicking helps compensate for those drawbacks.

The HOG scenes were fun for me. What I did not like were the other games. I personally intensely dislike spot-the-difference games and, given the number of those here, it means a no-buy for me.

But thanks for the random clicking! It's about time!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 13, 10 5:42 AM

Did anyone else notice that the sadistic nurse in this game looked EXACTLY like Nurse Mildred Ratched (acted by Louise Fletcher) from the film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest???

Edited on 10/13/2010 at 5:51:18 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 13, 10 5:45 AM
Played half the demo. Straight HOG, for the most part (- I quit right when I got to a scene with an area that said I needed a tool, so maybe not a *totally* straight HOG...). I was into the story, and if this were a daily deal, I'd consider buying it just for the story. As it is, I'd like my half hour back .

The spot the difference scenes are not nice ones. I will defend ones that are easy enough with the differences being entire objects and so on, but I will not defend these.

Edited on 10/13/2010 at 5:47:21 AM PST

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Oct 13, 10 5:51 AM
I wanted to try for myself and only lasted 13 minutes. One of the absolute worst games I've tried. The items I found were only because of random clicking and hints. I certainly couldn't see anything. Oh well I can hope for tomorrow. This has really been a stinkeroo month for games. We are halfway through the month and I haven't even used all my free credits from last month.

Ilkie
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by Ilkie on Oct 13, 10 5:59 AM
I won't be too unkind about this game. It's a straightforward HOG, probably good for people who are just discovering this type of game.
Good eyesight is vital though, some of the objects were very small or blended well with the background. Not my cup of tea but there are still lots of good games i can go back and play again.
I'm sure BFG do their best, they can only offer what is on release. Bound to be a cracker or two coming up soon; law of averages says so!

[Post New]by xtranicedeb on Oct 13, 10 6:21 AM
CasualGran wrote:Well, we're still in the institute series here, so it appears.
Anyway, this looks like a mostly straight HOG in which you can collect bears hidden in the scenes to get more hints.
The graphics aren't to crisp here and there, and the objects can be very small and hard to find, specially for older eyes.
The music fits the spooky gametheme, but can get annoying very soon, to me anyway.
The story isn't very original, we've all seen it before.
This Becky Brogan seems a nice enough girl, but to me she can't compete with, let alone master a Nancy Drew, for instance.
I played only half the demo, so I can't say anything about the gamelength.
Overall this appears to be an average HOG game. Not bad, but not special either.

Don't think it's a buy for me. But to all of you that like this one:

Happy Gaming!

Gran, all of your comments are SO right on that I always wait to hear what you say in a review before I purchase a game. We are almost always on the same page! Thank you for taking the time to review and comment on the daily games ... I for one certainly appreciate it!

Edited on 10/13/2010 at 6:23:33 AM PST

catathang
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by catathang on Oct 13, 10 6:24 AM
I too have to agree. Some of the items were so hard to find,my eyes were starting to go buggy. I also lasted only two scenes. Not a buy for me

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 13, 10 6:47 AM

Need I say more?

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Oct 13, 10 6:54 AM
you fishies say it all! It's a no buy for me too!
sal

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 13, 10 6:55 AM
This game was a shame..seems the developers had a date to finish a game and no time to make it original. I was looking forward to this one as others have but it is frankly a dud. I will also delete this game before even finishing the 60minutes. What a waste of money that the developer did put into it...because it will not be a buy for hardly anyone. A little more time/commitment/money and it could have risen to a great game.
Graphics were thin..poorly drawn compared to recent other games. Vey difficult to see the gazillion items which you really don't care to find one way or another. The adventure/HIG mix seems to be the best mix...with items viewable and appropriate to the story.
kris

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Oct 13, 10 6:59 AM

When I saw the scene shot to find the differences, didn't even bother to play the demo.

How orginal can ya get with find the differences?

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Oct 13, 10 7:00 AM
where is the aspirin. ugh! lasted 5-6 scenes. found TWO bears, by accident. at least you don't get dinged for clicking all over, which honestly, is the only way I found everything ^_^ . No buy for me.

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Oct 13, 10 7:01 AM
hydrogibbon wrote:I wanted to try for myself and only lasted 13 minutes. One of the absolute worst games I've tried. The items I found were only because of random clicking and hints. I certainly couldn't see anything. Oh well I can hope for tomorrow. This has really been a stinkeroo month for games. We are halfway through the month and I haven't even used all my free credits from last month.

at least YOU got your free credits. I didn't... still waiting for a response from BF so called CS. grr.

GrandWeeze
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by GrandWeeze on Oct 13, 10 7:04 AM
GoofyDuck,
What a wonderfully comprehensive review! Thanks! Now, although I really appreciate your reviews, I often don't agree with you, so I need to check this one out. And I thought I'd get to changing out my closet from summer to winter clothes today. If this game is as bad as others say, I may still get to that task this morning!

Ooh. I'm a Starfish!!

[Post New]by mizzbrat on Oct 13, 10 7:05 AM
I love HOG but I gotta say BF is getting really bad bout the ones they put on ,, this game suxxxxxxxxxx bad time ...

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Oct 13, 10 7:19 AM
I will play the free download as everyone has their own preferencs in games. Great reviews by everyone, they were very professional and sounds like a game I would not purchase but will try the free download as you can not go wrong this way. Again I am impressed with the professional reviews as everyone explained in detail as to why they did not like this game instead of just saying things like " rubbish : or "garbage ".

cesse47
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
25,099 Posts

[Post New]by cesse47 on Oct 13, 10 7:41 AM
ditto from me as well. Played for about 30 minutes ... kept hoping the game would improve; but no luck. Not a purchase for me, darn it!!

graphics are blurry in places, dark in others, grainy in others ... and not because of the story line.

objects to find are often very tiny or only a bit is peeking out somewhere; sometimes it's a dark object in a dark area; othertimes it's so grainy you can't make it out.

the hint system (with find a bear) would be good if the game were better. Normally, I play without using a hint. And in my 30 minutes, I used hint 3 times. Not a good sign at all.

Music was good to start with but quickly got irritating, as did the game, so muted it.

I'm with the poster who enjoyed the first Becky Brogan game. The first one was great and this one falls very short!!

RickF
Minnow
Minnow
201 Posts

[Post New]by RickF on Oct 13, 10 8:14 AM
Is it just me or does it seem more and more of the developers of HOG’s think making an object extremely tiny is a good way to hide the item. They seem to forget that some of us old farts like to play these games too, and our eyesight is not what it was. I’m not saying to make the objects so large that they jump off the screen at you, but I should not have to have my nose almost touching the screen to see them. JMO

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 13, 10 8:22 AM
Congratulations on your "upgrade," GrandWeeze!

First of all, let me preface my review of this game by saying I'm desperate. I've resorted to playing endless rounds of Fishdom (great Match 3 game, BTW) to the extent that I got stuck in a traffic jam on my way to a doctor's appointment this morning and found myself thinking that if I swapped the red sedan in front of me with the black SUV in the next lane, I'd have three black SUVs in a row and be able to move up further.

The graphics aren't that great, but they aren't that bad, either. The main problem with them is they are too darned dark, so there is no contrast. On the third screen, I found half the items by randomly clicking through the treetops. At least there is no click penalty. If you don't mind messing with your computer settings, you could try increasing contrast or making the screen brighter - it's too much bother for me unless it is included as an option in the settings menu of the game (that might have redeemed the game for many users.)

If you like a straight HOG, then you might enjoy this game. If you have to have a great story and a bit of interaction, forget it. I enjoy both, so I will at least play out a crowbar!the demo - I already downloaded it, so I might as well. I'll see what else comes down from BFG this week before I decide to buy it - I might save it for a Daily Deal.

I, too, and getting a bit tired of the psycho ward storylines, but I guess that's to be expected during October. Columbus themes, Psycho wards, ghosts, and witches. Hey, we haven't had a witch story for a few weeks - maybe the next one will fill that void.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I did find one bit of interaction. You have to find - and use - a crowbar. No, that isn't a spoiler, the game tells you when to find it, where to use it, and what you will find once you use it. Hopefully, the hand-holding will stop as you progress in the game.

Edited on 10/13/2010 at 8:31:52 AM PST

Go to: