brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford

[Post New]by brookings on Oct 15, 10 10:18 AM
I found the game moved to slowly, and became bored. I wanted to explore other rooms, but the character didn't think she should go there. It's a pleasant game, even the music was nice, but it just isn't a game for me.

SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by SMQMC on Oct 15, 10 10:20 AM
Well, Goofyduck, now that Poodlebear is no longer keeping us company in the comments and reviews, I've zeroed in on your comments as being ones I'll tend to follow. Although I don't always agree, and sometimes ignore, your opinions, I find them quite helpful because you seem to be intelligent and erudite with a command of the English language, but most of all you punctuate correctly (well about 95% of the time anyway)!! That seems to be a lost art in the younger generation which hopefully will correct itself some day. Anyhooo, I'll look forward to more from you. As far as Secret Diaries: Florence Ashford goes, it is a maybe-maybe not for me. Have to think about it some more.
P.S. Now, for all you young folks out there who are taking offense at my comment regarding punctuation, it's not a blank cover-all. It doesn't make one uneducated, it just means the younger generation is so used to "texting" that they don't ever seem to use punctuation. That tends to carry over into a lot of their writing. Me, I'm old school, and correct language and punctuation is important to me. To each his own.

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 10:30:00 AM PST

pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by pungstress on Oct 15, 10 10:40 AM
I enjoyed the demo enough to us a game credit on it but now I'm thinking that I should have read the comments first because of what people have said about the length of the game being short.
It does move slowly, but it's a relaxing game with a good storyline if you like romances. BTW, I figured out immediately that the handsome dude she first met up with was not the guy she was supposed to marry. I just knew some ugly dude would show up and say "Heh-heh-heh...*I'm* your future hubby!"
I usually play in casual mode but may start again in expert because in casual mode, the areas/objects you're supposed to find almost leap out at you and scream "Here I am!!"
Good graphics and music was okay. Only problem I found was the sound of the footsteps as you move from scene to scene; this is supposed to be a refined lady and she sounds like she's wearing combat boots.
I give the game 3 's
**********************************UPDATE***********************************
Okay, I'm back after finishing the game and now wish I hadn't used a game credit for it because it was very short-approximately 2 hours. Storyline was promising but in the end didn't really go anywhere unexpected. Love triumphs; blah-blah-blah.

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 12:58:22 PM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 15, 10 11:24 AM
SMQMC wrote:Well, Goofyduck, I've zeroed in on your comments as being ones I'll tend to follow. Although I don't always agree, and sometimes ignore, your opinions, I find them quite helpful because you seem to be intelligent and erudite with a command of the English language, but most of all you punctuate correctly (well about 95% of the time anyway)!!

ROFL... Goofyduck is, no doubt, speechless over that compliment!

(Edited for punctuation... oops.)

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 11:27:12 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 15, 10 11:44 AM
Micha1234 wrote:Well, I got suckered in and bought the game. It's not a bad game....but seriously, if I can do it in under two hours and finish it it IS really short. (I consider myself somewhat of a lame duck ) And anybody who doesn't like slider games...there are quite a few. I HATE those....I suck at them.
But I would say at least try the demo and see for yourselves

I also hate slider games and for exactly the same reason. I think I'm gonna take a pass on this one... thanks for the heads up.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 15, 10 11:52 AM
I made it as far as the bedroom for her to freshen up before the big meet and greet with the Marquis. When the lady attendant asked her to help find the keys and I located them in the bathtub and she said "Oh, the water is too hot and I just did my fingernails!".... I exited stage left and went looking for the Trash Can. This is not my kind of game at all, but for those of you who enjoy it, have fun playing this weekend!

ETA: I am one of the weirdos who loves those slider games... That part I may have liked but I don't think I ever would have lasted long enough to play a mini game...

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 11:54:54 AM PST

SherrieS
Minnow
Minnow
275 Posts

[Post New]by SherrieS on Oct 15, 10 12:01 PM
After an extremely stressful night at work, this was a fun game to relax with
-I bought it-I played it

It's short-about 2 hours
(still cheaper that a movie & what movie theatre is open at 2am?

The graphics are clear. cartoonish, but BRIGHT (yes in OCTOBER we have a bright light game)

The sound is ok-I still prefer to turn off

I haven't followed a romance story in awhile, so it was a good

Game play was easy & hard--both are easy if you play alot of games

Could have been better--seen much worse--so to each their own

DH said he was borded to death & went to play some war game

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 15, 10 12:19 PM
Well, the games does move slowly and the fingernail thing was a bit goofy, but I rather liked it. The usual love story and all, but I used a credit and got it anyway. I'm a sucker for romance. Hopefully it isn't too short. Thanks for all your reviews, most do help. "To each his own"

YIKES, really short game!!!

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 1:41:14 PM PST

kitty1
Flounder
Flounder
2,194 Posts

[Post New]by kitty1 on Oct 15, 10 12:23 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:I made it as far as the bedroom for her to freshen up before the big meet and greet with the Marquis. When the lady attendant asked her to help find the keys and I located them in the bathtub and she said "Oh, the water is too hot and I just did my fingernails!".... I exited stage left and went looking for the Trash Can. This is not my kind of game at all, but for those of you who enjoy it, have fun playing this weekend!

LOL Shadowfax. That was the exact same spot I knew this game was not for me. I like my heroines to have a little more spunk Also as others have said normal mode was too easy & no way to switch to expert mid-game-too much hand-holding. I did like the moving around about the mansion--but couldn't get past the storyline.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 15, 10 12:42 PM
The graphics are cartoony, but well done. I really didn't like her dress, but that is just a personal thing. The characters are a bit flat, though in the strict times they lived in, well done. The story is interesting but not unique. The gameplay has a few HOG that are extremely simple. There are several mini-games which aren't difficult. The two modes are normal and expert. In normal you are told what to look at and when to do it. In expert, I found less of that. In normal mode, I found myself flying through the game. I fear that the game might not last a whole two hours, if in under one hour, I am feeling nearly done.

This game is an A-.

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Oct 15, 10 1:36 PM
yuck,yuck,yuck..............................boring.

maryerbe
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by maryerbe on Oct 15, 10 1:43 PM
i didnt care for this game ,it had way to much talking and moving around ,the music was ok not my cup of tea .one thing it was a very pretty clear game .no buy for me still waiting on a great one .this weekend would be a good time ,my weather here is windy ,cold and rain ill have all weekend to play

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Oct 15, 10 2:10 PM
I think this would make a nice "beginner's" IHOG. Everything is fairly linear. The graphics are clear, but not the best I've ever seen. Everything is well laid out and the locations you can travel to around the house are limited when you're searching for certain items, so that makes for less wandering around. So far the story isn't that bad, but I'm guessing it will take a romantic turn somewhere in there. This is one of those games that I wouldn't normally buy, but since a I had a punchcard coupon and I was bored, I said "Might as well!"

I cracked up when her lady's maid asked her to find items around the house! Really?

The only bad thing about this game is that is seems, from the other reviews, to be really short.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Oct 15, 10 3:04 PM
Not for me, totally boring and too childish, more for kids.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Oct 15, 10 4:07 PM
karen876 wrote:Lasted all of 33 minutes and just couldn't take anymore. Sorry, but not my cup of tea. I was playing in Expert Mode but just found the game play a little awkward." Have fun" to anyone who enjoys this but unfortunately not me

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. I also played the expert mode and it just seemed awkward and disjointed. I really wanted to like the game, but I didn't. The costumes on the characters were awesome, but again, it just seemed like modern day people dressed up in period clothing.

Maybe if I had played the easier version, I would have cared for it more. As it is, though, I might purchase it as a DD, but not at regular price.

Yosemite1956c
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by Yosemite1956c on Oct 15, 10 4:51 PM
Geez, I played a total of 5 minutes before I had to stop. I was throwing up all over my keyboard, such was the inanity of this game.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Oct 15, 10 5:21 PM
While the graphics were crisp and the music lovely, I found the game very boring. I got annoyed everytime you changed rooms the screen darkened and said "saving...". Why did it take so long for that (and often) and why wasn't movement more flowing?

Another item that I wasn't too happy about was there was too much "hand holding". I don't mind the sparkles in a game to point to a HOG scene or an important area, but sparkles plus icons AND task reminder at the top of the screen too? I admit I like some help from time to time in games but this was ridiculous. I felt like I was playing a child's game-no challenge at all.

I didn't even finish the demo, not because I was anxious to buy it but because I couldn't stand playing it anymore. Sorry not my cup of tea. It is a no buy for me.

I'm sure it will appeal to others though and I hope they enjoy the game. I did appreciate the fact that the items weren't hard to find (I do have older eyes) but that wasn't enough to encourage me to keep playing.

Edited on 10/15/2010 at 5:28:09 PM PST

gemmabloom
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by gemmabloom on Oct 15, 10 7:05 PM
I lasted about 20 minutes, but when she gasped, "My first meeting with the Marquis. I'm so ecstatic," I knew it wasn't for me. And as others have said, I don't mind some pointers, but am not crazy about being led by the nose through an entire game. Think I'll take a pass on this and wait for the regular edition of Mystery Trackers.

[Post New]by MemorableMovies on Oct 15, 10 11:02 PM
I played this game for the whole demo. It was very easy, the kind of game you can play if you're not in the mood for anything that takes too much brain power. It was enjoyable so I used a credit to get the game... a little less than an hour after buying the game, it was over. Total game play for me was just under 2 hours. Had I known it was that short, I wouldn't have bothered with it. I would have been more bothered by the short play time if I had actually paid for it instead of using a game credit. The shortness of the game was a disappointment.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Oct 15, 10 11:47 PM
I usually love nostalgia, but I didn't care for this game at all. I lasted about 10 minutes before deleting it. I really can't think of anything positive to say, and for me that's saying something. I'm not a negative person and try to look for the positives in each game I play. Someone posted that it was awkward and I agree. Just not entertaining to me.

Go to: