penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

Re:Mysteries of Magic Island

[Post New]by penrose47 on Oct 16, 10 6:39 AM
THANKS GOOFYDUCK

You did a awesome review, you need to get a "A+" for the write up..

I think I will demo it, for I have a few coupons that I need to use by the 31st.

Happy Gaming

PEN

I think some of us got used to the "VOID" game, now this one looks smaller and easier.

[Post New]by carolprint1 on Oct 16, 10 7:12 AM
i just dl & played 20 min in expert mode...not much hand holding here. i liked it! you should try games before deciding. if you like 1 or not. been reading reviews for long time & im surprised how often my choices are different than others. & besides there is another sale this weekend so 2 me the game is worth the sale price....considering the loooong dry spell this month.
if all HOG/IHOG games were alike we would all get bored with them. i really cant see how many fishies zip right thru some of these games so fast. i used 2 and have learned to slow down & enjoy them more.
i like looking for items all over the place and love going back & forth to use them. helps makes the game longer.
the music was ok didnt bother me so i didnt turn it off...just down so i dont wake up the family. hints recharge slower in adv mode which is good i hate to use. story seems ok i want to become a magician but need to get off the island 1st. i hate getting scolded for random clicking and no hand slapping here. sometimes its good sometimes not. i like that.
the map works different in adv mode than casual and i like that its not showing/helping me every step of the way. someone said it took them 3 hrs to finish...so i can expect a little longer time 4 me. i do not rush, like taking my time. i try not to skip anything unless i hate the mini games then even those i will try until i give up.
i sometimes like it when they dont show you all the items on the list all at once...its a nice change. they do show you the # of items you need to find. it keeps you guessing what you will need to be looking for.
i had a eye proceedure done a few weeks ago and its hard 4 me to see clearly so some items are cleaverly placed in the scene. i can only play 30 min at most before i have 2 do other chores and games are now my breaktimes so it usually takes me a few days to finish each.
some will like and some will not but to those that do have fun & enjoy. i know i will.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 16, 10 12:38 PM
lilTweet7 wrote:You are fine edmee 1947-- I understood perfectly, and I'm sure all others will get the gist too.

Absolutely edmee, your English is better than a lot of we "native"
speakers.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 16, 10 1:42 PM
The trial flew by. Alternately I was thinking way too easy, then when felt stuck, not so easy after all. I like the way it unfolds slowly. The game structure reminds me of the Russian Dolls. Advance one screen, maybe focus inwards, then back out, .....then? At one point, I could go 3 directions from 1 screen and some of those opened yet more screens. Perhaps not so simple as it appears in the first few minutes.
It bothered me when I couldn't open my own inventory bag, but then realized why. The first item I found went elsewhere to use over and over again. So now I will keep an eye on the right side of the screen for changes.
There is a section I hit in the trial where had to sorta fast click which could be problematic for some, but it is comforting the items seemed to keep going around until I got all as required. Also some of the light effects seem terribly bright to me with my aging eye issues, but I can fiddle with the gamma settings needed.
Some reviewers have said the game may be too short so I guess the smart money would be to check walkthrough when available in a few days (hope), to compare it with progress in the trial. But I play slow and relaxed, so for me no concern. Some say finish in 2 hours and feel cheated, yet I'm still enjoying the game 4-5 hours later.
I think I'll buy.

Edit for a little more clarity...and yes, I did buy.

Edited on 10/16/2010 at 5:27:57 PM PST

[Post New]by southernharmony on Oct 17, 10 2:05 AM
I'm having trouble lighting the second lamp in the dark room first one lit first time any ideas please would be most appreciated

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 17, 10 7:14 AM
Some really great reviews in this thread. Thank you all
for taking the time to post them.

As a really slow player, my hour demo is not always
enough to make a decision, so I do depend on
reviews as well.

This went to the top of my buy list because of
these reviews.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 17, 10 1:15 PM
one of the better games. Extremely linear though, but still a well designed product. I got out of sync with the diary and couldn't clear the path to the temple, but the designers took under consideration that there would be a loose nut behind the keyboard and allowed for skipping puzzles. All in all, an 8 out of 10

[Post New]by kayleighskillin on Oct 18, 10 1:20 PM
i need help finding the WIND TALISMAN could some1 help me

SSSTANG
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by SSSTANG on Oct 18, 10 3:41 PM
I am stuck in the temple - I found all the amulets, but can only get the first lamp filled with oil and lit. I filled the next one with oil, but can't get it to light with my fire spell. Any pointers????

SSSTANG
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by SSSTANG on Oct 18, 10 3:42 PM
I am stuck in the temple - I found all the amulets, but can only get the first lamp filled with oil and lit. I filled the next one with oil, but can't get it to light with my fire spell. Any pointers????

anonymiss
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by anonymiss on Oct 18, 10 4:41 PM
Well I guess I'm in the minority as I like this game. I didn't get it from BF (I don't get games any longer from here as I can't get any of them to work anymore. I uninstalled Game Manager due to computer problems and now it won't reinstall no matter what I do, so after much help from CS I've just given up & found another site. Of course, without the Game Manager, you can't play any games from BF anymore so that rules me out from ever buying another game [or even re-downloading and installing the older games I've purchased over the years] from BF, and I was a club member too. I've spent a small fortune over the years on games from here so I am NOT a happy camper. This is totally frustrating & annoying as I have collected so many games from BF over the years & can't play a single one - GRRR).

Anyway, I am enjoying this game, like I said. I love dark stories and atmospheres, such as Dire Grove, The Exorcist, etc, but to be honest, I'm so sick of them lately I want something a bit lighter in theme and this game fits the bill. I'm starting to think the devs have run out of ideas as nearly all the HOGs/IHOGs seem to be of a dark atmosphere (vampires especially). Yes, like I said, I do like them, but I'm actually very very sick of them at this point. I want something happy and uplifting, particularly as at the moment, both my husband & I are going through a few health issues and I'm finding that the darker-themed games are just depressing me. I'd like to see more games along the lines (in terms of light themes) such as Gardenscapes, a new Dream Day Wedding, and h*ll, I never thought I'd live to say this as I'm not a romantic type, but even more along the lines of Nora White would be something just a tad more light and different than the same old dark-themed games. I know the dark-themed games are very popular, but surely there are a few other people out there like myself who would like to see a few more 'happier' and lighter types of HOG/IHOG games?

Just a thought anyway...

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 6:28:29 PM PST

[Post New]by juliebris on Oct 19, 10 1:22 AM
kayleighskillin wrote:i need help finding the WIND TALISMAN could some1 help me
me too - walkthrough tells me to go back to the room where you got the lightening and water talismans and then click on the right of the screen - but there's nowhere to go right - I've tried randomly clicking everywhere to the right with no success.

[Post New]by bturner294 on Oct 20, 10 2:33 PM
southernharmony wrote:I'm having trouble lighting the second lamp in the dark room first one lit first time any ideas please would be most appreciated

[Post New]by bturner294 on Oct 20, 10 2:38 PM
I'm having the same problem with lighting the 2nd lamp. It just won't light. I read the walkthrough and i did like it said, but it still won't light. There must be a problem with the game. On the wind talisman, I finally got it by clicking all around it. To the right I clicked after trying everything and I finally got it.

cdragon
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by cdragon on Oct 21, 10 6:44 PM
Need some help! I've gotten to the dark room in the temple and put oil in the first lamp but when I use the fire spell the lamp doesn't light. Am I doing something wrong?

[Post New]by maymich on Oct 22, 10 2:55 AM
cdragon wrote:Need some help! I've gotten to the dark room in the temple and put oil in the first lamp but when I use the fire spell the lamp doesn't light. Am I doing something wrong?

The same thing happend to me. I think maybe we didn`t do it in the right order. Some say that we need to start all over again and do it like the walktrough shows us. ???

[Post New]by ms_jackson080968 on Oct 25, 10 2:23 PM
Has anyone been able to light the oil lamps in the dark room. It won't let me do it. Is this a glitch in the game? I see there are other postings that have the same issue.
Thanks

Cherieaa
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by Cherieaa on Oct 28, 10 5:19 AM
I like many of you was stuck lighting the lamps. I started the game again and used another name. When I reached the torch room, there was one lamp visible. Place oil in lamp then fire spell, next lamp becomes visible, place oil and use fire spell did exactly the same for lamp 3 and lamp 4. No problems. I think that there should have been some more specific instructions within the game to let us know that this particular area needed precise handling. I hope this helps some of you get past the trouble spot and finish the game.

Overall I liked the game and have no other complaints.

[Post New]by snoopy1951 on Nov 8, 10 3:44 AM
Have just finished the game = I really enjoyed it. The walkthroughs were excellent. Well worth the money. How do i start it over again. As soon as i click continues it goes to the end again.

BeccaKay
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by BeccaKay on Jan 6, 11 7:25 PM
I have played this game twice and still cannot get the Wind talisman. I have followed the walkthrough to the letter but still cannot trigger the hidden object scene for the Wind talisman.

I have gone to EVERY scene in the game and clicked hint only to have it tell me 'there is nothing to do here right now'...

Now I wish I hadn't bought this game!

I see others asking this same question but have no answer. Does anyone know?

Go to: