barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Farm Tribe

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Oct 17, 10 11:37 AM
govegril wrote:
barbiecats2000 wrote:I just finished The Island: Castaway which was not withdrawn from this site (not sure why govegirl thought it was) and am looking forward to trying this new game.

Am hoping this new one is just as much fun. Happy gaming.

hi barbiecats- Big Fish released the game earlier than they should have and the game is temporarily withdrawn.
If you press buy- you can buy it but not download it.

If you click on Try It- you will get page not found.

The game will be back but for the moment it is withdrawn.

Thanks govegirl - I didn't notice that - glad I bought it early.

Finished the demo of current topic game and am on the fence with it. The storage area cost a lot to enlarge so I'm always running out of room. Feeding all the kids is a bit strange - I had to go through all of them twice to cross it off the list. The request from other folks in the white envelopes seem ok so far. Some of the directions are a little vague but have been able to figure out the tasks so far.

I may go for this one - what they hey. Get back to you fishies after I play some more.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 11:48:07 AM PST

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 17, 10 11:42 AM
This is one of the most enjoyable tribal games I've ever played. I would put it second only to Gemini Lost, but even then, this one has a lot of fresh ideas where it really can hold its own. Tribal game players will be glad to know this game is nothing like Virtual Villagers in speed (thankfully!) - the gameplay, however, is similar with a few new things thrown in. One that I thought was quite enjoyable was looking for pieces for collections - this is sort of a side quest but it's fun to do. Another aspect that I found more challenging was keeping track of cash flow and filling special requests of others. You collect ingredients and then can make various products - you can sell for profit, fulfill orders or feed to your own tribe members. There are lots of upgrades for the tribe to use, you can also hire new people to join your crew, and there is no shortage of tasks to do around camp (collecting various things such as mushrooms, berries, catching fish, building huts & other buildings, researching various topics, farming different types of vegetables). I have been playing for the last couple hours and it was tough to pull myself away (have errands I need to get to!) Gameplay is very engaging, the graphics are good - cute and more than adequate. One thing people don't realize when they criticize graphics are 1. there are many styles, not everything has to or should look picturesque; in this instance, the graphics are fun, which is just right. 2. this isn't the Metropolitan Museum of Art, this is a game. From the sound of the some of the reviews, I expected chicken scratch - the graphics are actually quite nice in the game. Your tribe's faces are a bit rudimentary but that's most likely purely to keep the game from bogging down your system with unnecessary graphics requirements. Doesn't detract from gameplay at all. I also did not mind the sound effects in the slightest, with the exception of the "completed goal" music which plays for all of 2 seconds. Really fun game - if you like a relaxing game with enough challenge to keep you interested, this may fit the bill. This is probably the closest I've seen to Gemini Lost, which personally I loved. I'd rate this game 4 out of 5 stars.

ETA: This is not a time management game, it is a tribal simulation game. You don't have to worry about timers at all.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 11:44:40 AM PST

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Oct 17, 10 1:52 PM
General recommendation: Buy. I really liked this game which is in the tradition of the Virtual Villagers series.

Graphics: Bright and colorful. The animations of the people are fun to watch. They are straightforward so that everything is recognizable instantly and easy on the eyes.

Sound: The music is appropriate for the setting and is unobtrusive. The game sounds are also useful in telling you something is happening off screen. The ambient sounds of the jungle help bring the atmosphere to you.

Gameplay: As in virtual villagers, the game basically relies on you to pick the character up and place them on an object of interest so that they will interact with it. One thing I liked was that when a character was doing a job, they'd keep doing it without further action by you for the most part with the exception of someone being totally unskilled at a task getting discouraged. One big plus over the virtual villager game is that the action stops when you exit the game so you don't have the unpleasant surprise of a dead village upon your return. The one major negative that I saw was that the tutorial is apparently unskippable. I can understand why a developer would rather people not get confused but I'm the sort who loves to say "hey, there's a fish flopping next to the stream, what happens if I get a character to pick it up" so being forced to go through the steps is a bit annoying.

Overall, I really liked this game and since a kind fishie gave me a coupon I know what I'll be doing with it today.

[Post New]by darlingniki on Oct 17, 10 1:58 PM
I beta tested this game as well. While it didn't thrill me I did play it for 2 hours! I found it very addictive.
My biggest problem was the lack of help, especially when given a specific task that I clearly couldn't complete (in the beta test I needed to do something like 'examine the carving by the fire circle' and could not for the life of me figure it out, that's when I gave up). Except for the occasional pop-up hint there is not much help available-which was something I said over and over again after beta test.
After playing the demo I'm still on the fence!!!! I'm not a fan of time management (which this game has some aspects of), or of strategy/sim games (which this is more like than a TM). However, I am completely addicted to LifeQuest-and think that's why I can get into this game.
FarmTribe gets a little tedious and I'm not sure how much of yourself you can put into the game (like you can with LIfeQuest and probably other SIM type games).
[I'm pretty much an IHOG player but am always willing to try other things because there are so many great games out there-and I've found some wonderful hidden gems!]
I highly recommend to fishies who like TM or strategy/SIM games to give this one a shot-it may be something you will truly enjoy

eddyatwork
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by eddyatwork on Oct 17, 10 2:04 PM
I'm seeing several people mentioning the beta. Please do not make reviews based on the beta because the intent of a beta is to have feedback before a general release. Suggestions from the beta testers are often implemented which are included in the demo version so using the beta as the basis of a review often might not be fair. Even if you beta tested the game, try the finished version please so as to give the best possible review.

[Post New]by darlingniki on Oct 17, 10 2:09 PM
eddyatwork wrote:I'm seeing several people mentioning the beta. Please do not make reviews based on the beta because the intent of a beta is to have feedback before a general release. Suggestions from the beta testers are often implemented which are included in the demo version so using the beta as the basis of a review often might not be fair. Even if you beta tested the game, try the finished version please so as to give the best possible review.

Sorry if I was unclear! I did try the demo as well and based my comments on that-I mention the beta test only b/c I wanted to emphasis the problems I pointed out from that which don't seem to have been remedied in the actual game.
I think if you read the full post of most who have mentioned the beta test they have tried the demo/game in its' current state.

bethjudy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,207 Posts

[Post New]by bethjudy on Oct 17, 10 2:51 PM
I can't wait to try it! I have been busy with The Island castaway, but this sounds like my kind of game. Two in a week! I'm so excited!!!

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Oct 17, 10 3:33 PM
so far i've really enjoyed the game, i'm a few hours into it at this point. it's a lot like the virtual villagers series only more instantly satisfying because you accomplish things much faster. the graphics are colorful and cute and there are some very unique tasks to this game versus other games of this type. i have really enjoyed the farming and recipe system as it takes things a step further than general food gathering and gives you much more to do while you're waiting around for buildings to be completed or researches to get tech points.

Small Spoiler Here: i'm honestly confused by the comments about not having enough help on this game because everything you have to accomplish is pretty much spoon fed to you. if you place your villagers on a task and they won't complete it note what they are saying. this really helps as in the case of not being able to move the stone, a villager with a low build skill won't be able to do it, pick someone who is better at building. you'll need to use your researchers for certain tasks also, not every villager can do all of the "extra" tasks beyond basic building, researching and farming. actually i almost would prefer if everything wasn't so easy to figure out as in the case of virtual villagers where you really have to figure things out on your own if you aren't reading a walkthru and that can be very challenging. so maybe consider this one a virtual villagers "light".

anyhow my own impressions are that this is a cute fun game (i bought it after the trial period) and i've really enjoyed playing it today so give it a try and see if it's for you.

edit: just finished the game. i did not have the crash that other people are talking about however the ending is a little vague. SPOILER: for those who were wondering i think when the dad says he has another map that means...to be continued...not that there is anything left to do. other than the end being kinda meh, i had a lot of fun playing it and i hope they get the crash and other bugs worked out for everyone experiencing issues.

Edited on 10/17/2010 at 5:58:36 PM PST

[Post New]by sewingal on Oct 17, 10 3:52 PM
I really enjoyed playing this game. It's great for those who don't go for the TM's that are totally impossible to play ie. Farm Frenzy and Rachel's Retreat (which I just spent $7.00 on and can't play).

The biggest issue I have with Farm Tribe is toward's the end the whole game crashed and it appears that a lot of peeps are having the same problem. So, until they get this issue fixed (if they do) I would say it's a great game just be aware that it might crash towards the end. I'm thinking that it goes into free play after all the goals are met, but mebbe that just wishful thinking.

I would give this game a 3.5 out of 5 coz you can play most of it but it appears that you can't finish it. Which is really aggravating. If they fix the crashing problem, I would definitely give it a 4.5!!

talisman018
Guppy
Guppy
148 Posts

[Post New]by talisman018 on Oct 17, 10 4:19 PM
Hi, fishies!

Thank you to those who found my review helpful.

I'd like to repeat that I only played the beta version and didn't like what I saw. I'd also like to state up front that I really like TMs, so it's not that I'm "slamming" the genre (if anyone is thinking that). I suppose that I should have given the released version a chance before giving my review of it. My reason for not doing that is that the time between my Big Fish beta test and when it was released was less than a week. I really didn't think that they had time to fix everything that I felt was wrong with it.

I'll give the current version a shot and revise my review, if it needs it.

I highly recommend trying before buying.

UPDATE: My review stands. I saw no meaningful changes. The worst offender was the poor translation engine (I don't think it's done by a person. I know that there are programs for translating whole paragraphs and such, which I think was used and trusted, without checking on the accuracy. I hoped that they might fix it. It was most of the reason I didn't like the game. )

No matter what: have fun!

Edited on 10/19/2010 at 2:45:59 AM PST

Serafinos
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Serafinos on Oct 17, 10 6:47 PM
So excited waking up, this morning, to find Farm Tribe on the "tomorrow" sale box. I had just downloaded & played the demo, yesterday, after being away from my email box for over a month (3800 plus emails OMG).
The survey was already done. LOL But couldn't wait till it came out.

Yes - a love of virtual villagers type game. If you like it ... you'll LOVE this!
Cute & yet a little complex. Perfect for us grannies.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Oct 17, 10 8:42 PM
Yay..........no time limit to stress over and lots of building to do and catering, hanging out at the bistro, collecting special items and making 'scientific' discoveries.
I lost one of my people when I put the game on pause and went to the kitchen to make lunch. She apparently became ill and, because I didn't plonk her in the hospital, she left the village by the time I returned.

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Farm Tribe

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Oct 18, 10 1:28 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I'm starting this thread now before any postings are made because the review thread for Mysteries of Magic Island didn't exist and so everybody started posting to the thread that was title with just the name of the game. And then somebody came along and created a Review thread, and the moderator stickied that one instead and all the reviews posted in the first thread got buried in a thread that is going by the wayside. I've asked the mod to sticky both threads.

I didn't actually review this game as I don't care for Time Management games but I wanted to make sure everybody could have the chance to post their reviews in the same thread so all visiting fishies could see ALL the reviews in one thread. Thanks and I hope everybody understands why I did this.

Thanks for looking out for us, mommie.

[Post New]by Gamsetter_com on Oct 18, 10 4:09 AM
eddyatwork wrote:I'm seeing several people mentioning the beta. Please do not make reviews based on the beta because the intent of a beta is to have feedback before a general release. Suggestions from the beta testers are often implemented which are included in the demo version so using the beta as the basis of a review often might not be fair. Even if you beta tested the game, try the finished version please so as to give the best possible review.

It is nearly not possible to implent suggestions of users in such a short time as final versions often follow the beta versions, doesn't matter if here or any other place, where "normal players" can play beta versions. Most of them (not all) are just meant as teasers.

The result you see: Issues beta-tester mentioning, are the same in beta and final. Seen on this game just as example: The poor english! I'm not native english and even I could and can see, that it is bad.

So imho it is important, that people mention the beta-test - to see if suggestions have been accepted or not. When you hear a lot of people saying: I mentioned this or that issue, but it is still the same, it is worth knowing as it shows very less interest of developer and/or publisher in beta-testing/beta-testers opinion.

If important improvements for example in language are not done, it is worth to not buy the game, because it was not made for the players but just for the wallet.

[Post New]by Gamsetter_com on Oct 18, 10 4:14 AM
mendolyn wrote:i'm honestly confused by the comments about not having enough help on this game because everything you have to accomplish is pretty much spoon fed to you.

I also wrote about the less help, but the reason was (and I guess for others as well), that I experienced one of the glitches the game had. Later on I found out, that most of it was to solve by simply restarting the game.

But when you try everything to fulfill a task and nothing works, you get the impression, that more help would be needed.

After I finished the game (with a crash), I have to admit - when you simply can play through, it is pretty easy.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Oct 18, 10 5:24 AM
cherbtoo wrote: I'm doing a happy dance this morning because Farm Tribe is out, I have been constantly playing this game (beta version) since I tried it and am so glad that I can now go and buy the object that signalled the end of the trial.

This game is a Virtual Villagers meets Escape from Paradise type where you have to discover mysteries but you also have to complete tasks ... if you complete the task within the time, ie when the pay envelope is on the right hand side of the task bar, you earn more money than for just completing the task. Some of these tasks stop the game continuing until they are completed as they trigger the next task/event (nudge,nudge,wink,wink).

You use the money in the shop to buy things such as tools or condiments so that you can make delicious recipes which you eat but also sell to make money to pay off the mortgage, yes I did say mortage and it is a hefty one ... thank goodness it isn't mine .

I found that the tech points seemed to accumulate quite quickly but you are kept in the dark as to how many you need to unlock the next improvement. There are also 48 items to collect such as shells, butterflies etc which are just very small bits of colour among the trees and in the river etc. Don't despair at the size because these old eyes have managed to find 43 of them so far except that I have just uninstalled the beta and will now have to collect them all over again.

Anyway I it and have already purchased it and, now that I have downloaded the full version I am off to start it all over again.

Cherb

I totally agree with you, so can I do the Happy Dance with you???

Pat

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 18, 10 5:53 AM
I have other tribal games, but this one is one of the best. I like the graphics, and love the fact that the people continue doing things without having to be pushed.

I also like the fact that when I pick up a person who just collected food, the food doesn't disappear (as it does with Virtual Villagers), but I can move them quickly to the food hut to speed things up.

Nice and easy gameplay, and relaxing. No stress and rushing around (unless you want to).

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Oct 18, 10 7:45 AM
Lisa522 wrote:
gimmegames wrote:
Can all you wonderful fishies please suggest what games I should play *first*, to learn how to be able to play these games and enjoy them, rather than just create huge cemeteries?

That's because most of them advance with a real-time aspect even when your game is shut down.

I don't believe Gemini Lost does this. Also, in My Tribe - even though the time DOES advance, you can put your game on pause before saving and exiting and that will stop it from doing this.

One game like this I tried - Little Folk of Faery - apparently has no way to pause, which makes it no buy for me. I'm not going to commit to babysit the game on a daily basis. If I can't play when and if I want to only, then I won't play at all.

It's true that Little Folk of Faery folks will continue tasks but they can't die or anything horrible and they don't need babysitting. You can leave them collecting food or doing nothing at all, and then come back whenever you want. You can also slow them down to a slow snail pace or put them on a higher speed before you go or when you're playing. I was concerned too but it turned out to be a non-issue and the game became a great favorite of mine.

Lisa522
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,850 Posts

[Post New]by Lisa522 on Oct 18, 10 8:14 AM
Tailteann wrote:

It's true that Little Folk of Faery folks will continue tasks but they can't die or anything horrible and they don't need babysitting. You can leave them collecting food or doing nothing at all, and then come back whenever you want. You can also slow them down to a slow snail pace or put them on a higher speed before you go or when you're playing. I was concerned too but it turned out to be a non-issue and the game became a great favorite of mine.

Thanks for the info, Tailteann - didn't know they couldn't die. I do like this game and that was the only thing preventing me from buying it. Perhaps I will have to give it a second look

Taltam1
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Taltam1 on Oct 18, 10 9:21 AM
Played the demo this morning. I really had fun with it and plan to buy it. I like it better than some of the other tribal games. It took me a minute fo figure out how to get them all fed.

Does the game continue/people keep going with their tasks after I've closed the game, like Virtual Families?

Go to: