biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Column of the Maya

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 18, 10 3:40 AM
Is it just me? Every Monday morning, no fail, a not so good game.
The screenshots said it all. And from reading the comments....ok I should at least demo right? will be back.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Oct 18, 10 3:44 AM
I have to agree with the majority, this one is a dud. I found myself clicking here, there and everywhere because I couldn't tell what half the objects were! The music was very annoying (and I usually don't mind music playing). The graphics were cheap, unclear and boring to say the least. I couldn't even believe it when it said oh sauerkraut there must be Germans here! Are you kidding me? This one is one I wouldn't have even posted BFG.

Tabbitha53
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by Tabbitha53 on Oct 18, 10 3:52 AM
Well I only lasted 4 mins in this trial,which has never happened to me b4.Ive played EVERY HOG BF has released but for me this was just fuzzy graphics,objects so hard to even see,never mind remotely look like what they should was enough to put even me off.

I was really looking forward to playing this and possibly buy,as I love Mayan culture,but not even that tempted me this time.

I want a really good Agatha Christie or Nancy Drew to get my teeth into,

Edited on 10/18/2010 at 3:53:57 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 18, 10 3:52 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I was told my reviews are too long so I'll try to keep it shorter without too many details...

Are you serious? You're one of the most valuable posters here precisely because of your detailed and well written critiques. I don't know who told you that but I'd ignore such an asinine comment.

laurimd
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by laurimd on Oct 18, 10 3:54 AM
I am a diehard HOG fan-atic, but this game is really a bust! The objects are so small that it is difficult to make out what they are. The hint system is LOOSELY a hint system-it's worse than one of those meters! The navigation system is very poor. I had really hoped this would be a good one because I love large file games, but sadly, this time, it's a no buy. I'm just thankful that this isn't usually the case-I'll forgive this time, because he usually does such a FIN job!!!

peascot
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by peascot on Oct 18, 10 4:00 AM
I also gave up after 10 mins...too many hidden objects that just look like blobs..

Sorry BF...a no buy from me....

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 18, 10 4:05 AM
snapnhiss wrote:
goofyduck77 wrote:I was told my reviews are too long so I'll try to keep it shorter without too many details...

Are you serious? You're one of the most valuable posters here precisely because of your detailed and well written critiques. I don't know who told you that but I'd ignore such an asinine comment.

Hey goofyduck!!! I count on your reviews. They ARE NOT TOO LONG!
I appreciate them as I am sure many other do. Review, garsh darn it!!!

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Oct 18, 10 4:09 AM
ok, so I played for 15 minutes. That's all I could stand. At least I tried.
The hint system didn't kick in right away because you have to perform a certain action before it does. I panicked for a moment because getting through this game without a hint system would be absolutely impossible.
Very very dark scenes. At one point they asked for light, I thought I was playing a regular scene....Yes that bad. The graphics are cartoonish but not in a good way.
I tried to brighten my screen but I have it as high as it can go.
Also, you have to click precisely on the item or you can't pick it up. And tiny!! OMG!
Good thing the hint recharged quickly or I would not have lasted this long.
Not a buy for me. But I'm glad I tried it, you never know if it will be for you or not.
In this case: A BIG NOT.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 18, 10 4:11 AM
dcairns wrote: I couldn't even believe it when it said oh sauerkraut there must be Germans here! Are you kidding me? This one is one I wouldn't have even posted BFG.

To be fair, the developer is Daedalic Entertainment from Hamburg,Germany. Most of the dialogue lines are apparently supposed to be somewhat funny from what I've seen.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Oct 18, 10 4:40 AM
I played about half of the demo and decided it wasn't worth going further. All previous negative posts about this game I agree with. A no buy for me. Sorry.

No stars, no thumbs up.

[Post New]by Barbarabarb on Oct 18, 10 5:08 AM
I have said it before and will say it again. Are developers making such huge profits that they can affort to ignore us, the buying public, and keep turning out these awful games? I have games from way back which are so much better as I am sure we all do, but instead of lessons being learned the games now just seem to get worse and worse. OK we do not have to buy them and the money stays in the bank but as a senior citizen living alone a good game means a lot and so many that could be good are ruined because they have the faults that we dislike so much. This one seems to have them all - so another gameless day.

burningswan
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by burningswan on Oct 18, 10 5:13 AM
I am playing on a 64 bit Vista with NVIDIA graphics card. The graphics beautiful and are crystal clear although many are very small. The artwork is not childish nor cartoonish. The scenes are nicely rendered. No junkpile (lots and lots of objects just strewn about is how I define junkpile). It is mostly a HOG with IHOG elements that are fun. The dialogue is great fun, humor is a plus. Mini games such as jigsaw puzzles and spot the difference elements are present. No timer, hints refill under a minute and the hints will direct you to your next action as well. The usual granddaughter/ archeologist storyline which is skippable. Optional tutorial, but seasoned players can just skip it. Music is nonintrusive elevator style. a definate buy for me

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 18, 10 5:17 AM
Barbarabarb wrote:I have said it before and will say it again. Are developers making such huge profits that they can affort to ignore us, the buying public, and keep turning out these awful games? I have games from way back which are so much better as I am sure we all do, but instead of lessons being learned the games now just seem to get worse and worse. OK we do not have to buy them and the money stays in the bank but as a senior citizen living alone a good game means a lot and so many that could be good are ruined because they have the faults that we dislike so much. This one seems to have them all - so another gameless day.

I resemble your remarks but I have enlarged my game "stable" to include alot of the adventure role playing games being offered on BFG (and elsewhere) that can entertain and engage for weeks instead of just a few hours.

I also tend to go back to those better HOGs and play them again as well as some of the mainstay match 3s (like Around the world in 80 days).

I think the era of great cheap casual HOGs may be over.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on Oct 18, 10 5:23 AM
Played this game on another site - it's a stinker. Very hard to figure out what to do. The hints are sketchy at best - a little perturbed that I had to use them at all. I most definitely will not buy this game and will watch out for other games made by this creator and avoid them.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 18, 10 5:46 AM
Well, do you think they could have made the HOs any smaller? I played for 10 minutes and deleted it. I won't buy a game like this, ever.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 18, 10 5:53 AM
Well, it certainly isn't boring or too easy! And there isn't the hand-holding on what to do next that a lot of fishies have complained about on recent games.

The graphics are good but not great, and the items could be clearer, but then we'd be complaining they were too easy to find. I kind of like the twist that it isn't a beloved uncle that needs to be rescued, but a crotchety old jerk that treated her like dirt, but she still takes the time to follow into the jungle. For those with poor eyesight it might be too much work, but I had no problems spotting most of the items - I seemed to get to the last item each time before needing the hint, and by that time it had recharged.

Figuring out what to do next is sometimes difficult, but the hint system actually works well for that - click when you are stuck and it will tell you what scene you need to be in or what action you should be trying to take.

I think I'm going to buy this one, because it does have an interesting story once you get a bit further along (I finished the hour demo) and once you get used to the graphics the items do get easier to spot. I hate Spot the Difference games but the differences are easier to spot in them than looking for items. I also came across two styles of jigsaw puzzles and was working on another puzzle (getting a watch to match a drawing) when my time ended.

auntj38
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by auntj38 on Oct 18, 10 5:53 AM
Played about 10 min. of the demo and just couldn't go on to finish the 60 min. Terrible game. Agree with the comment's made on the forum.

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Oct 18, 10 5:54 AM
Have to agree, I got 5 minutes into the game and then up popped a dreaded find the difference.

Got outta that game right fast!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 18, 10 5:56 AM
My eyesight isn't the greatest, I admit, but rarely do I have to use hints 4 times within the first 12 minutes of play. The objects are too small and poorly drawn for me. This is a no buy, unfortunately. I love HOG/adventure games.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Oct 18, 10 6:00 AM
Ditto to pretty much everything everyone else has already said

Go to: