Dogfish
1,865 Posts

Re:problems with the game

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Apr 21, 09 5:23 PM
TopazMystique wrote:
rozmo60 wrote:
2. Download and install the following file to your desktop:
http://games.bigfishgames.com/RightNowImages/TechTools/BFGInstallPath.bat

Just wondering what this tool actually does. I was also sent this info (altho not as detailed) for problems with games that store progress in the registry instead of folders. Uninstall & reinstall for those games loses game progress. Since the game is being uninstalled before BFGInstallPath.bat runs, will it save registry data and move it when the game is reinstalled? Probably not because I'm guessing registry data is deleted on uninstall but I thought it was worth asking.

From what I've seen in this thread, it LOOKS like this is just a small file that will either let you choose the install path for the game or tell the game the correct install path to use which might be different from what you've previously told Game Manager to use. However, the best way to find out for certain is to ask tech support.

Rocknchick
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,042 Posts

[Post New]by Rocknchick on May 8, 09 7:56 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm having the same problem as alot of other users: "Unable to open CAL or CIF TREE file:C:\Program files\Nancy Drew-danger on deception island\ciftree\CIFTREE.DAT.Check the path in your .ini file". Then appears "Error: Acces violation at 0x0041437A (tried to read from 0x00000000), program terminated". I've tried the suggestions listed on the forum, but no luck! I've been trying for hours now - VERY frustrated!!! If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it cause nothing has worked so far.

Thanks!

Rocknchick

[Post New]by bootsiebear1 on May 19, 09 5:36 PM
l have tried over and over to down load a game l bought at the store and can,t seem to down load it in my computer l own a vista l put the game in my grandson new computer l had no promlem it says big fish won,t let me download could you help me clear this up look forward to hearing from you vivienne

[Post New]by Darkskyfire5 on May 20, 09 1:49 PM
marielh wrote:For anyone else with this problem, I came up with a solution. I'm not sure it's the best or most elegant solution, but I got the game to work. I copied the entire folder that contained the game (Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island) from where it was automatically installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\) and pasted it into the folder C:\Program Files\. I left the .ini file exactly as it was when I installed it. I did not delete the originally installed program, but just copied it to the other folder. Now, I can run the problem from the BFG Manager or from the desktop icon that was created when I installed the game. If this happened to you and you need to do this, first right click on the desktop icon and click on "Open file location" to get to the main game folder. Good luck!

MARIELH YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE GENIUS!!! You're little trick worked wonders! I was going insane unloading/redownloading this game and trying to contact support. Almost gave up on BigFishGames. Thank you thank you!

[Post New]by Anne2222 on Jun 22, 09 2:33 AM
I am just wondering why it has to be such a huge problem to download and activate this Nancy Drew game. There are no problems what so ever with the other Nanct drew games. I have written to the "support" and asked if there is something wrong with this game because all i got was CIF-TREE etc., and all I got was a very long instruction how to do this and that.But it doesn´t help. Does someone else have another suggesting or and explanation ?

Dee_H
Guppy
Guppy
188 Posts

[Post New]by Dee_H on Sep 2, 09 11:57 PM
rozmo60, Thank you so much for posting this fix! I tried all of the other suggestions to no avail and even my computer programmer hubby was stumped (or didn't want to deal with it)! Your solution to the CAL/CIF Tree error upon starting the game worked beautifully on my new Vista 64 laptop! Now if you can fix EAP Midnight Mysteries and Black Mirror I will send you all the way to the top of the pedestal! Can't thank you enough for taking the time to post this fix, you rock!

[Post New]by justyermama on Nov 30, 09 9:13 AM
HOLY NIGHT Marielh! You did it! For everyone else, this DOES WORK! And the thing from support DOESN'T! I have a 7 home premium laptop, and uninstalled/reinstalled 5 times, and did the Support thing twice! BUT. For those of you following Marielh, DO NOT drag the file from Program Files x86 to Program Files, you MUST copy/paste. Then it works. Thank you so much.

mimskers
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by mimskers on Jan 23, 10 6:17 PM
Well I have tried all that has been written here and nothing works. I have Windows 7. Mayber that's the problem.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jul 10, 10 8:42 PM
windows 7 here... same problem...

but i copied the file and voila! it works!

just open up the program x86 folder, find deception island, copy, then open your program folder, and paste...

such a simple solution to a very weird problem

good luck, y'all

[Post New]by jassupox on Oct 30, 10 3:40 AM
thank u thank u thank u million times, i finally got it work!

[Post New]by shazzaprincess on Oct 30, 10 6:17 PM
marielh wrote:I also have this problem and have tried every fix here. Nothing works. I have played many other Nancy Drew games from this site without a problem. I think, though, I have located the problem. The game automatically installs in the Program Files (x86)/Nancy Drew - DDI folder. The error message I keep getting says it cannot find the CAL or CIF TREE in Program Files/Nancy Drew - DDI. The problem is that Program Files is a different folder, and not where the game is installed. So, I opened the .ini file and changed the path to Program Files (x86) for each place it was listed. I saved it, hoping it would work. But alas, it did not. I just kept getting the same error. I'm afraid I'm out of options. I also have written to BFG support, but have not heard back. If any of you figured out a way to fix this problem, I'd greatly appreciated the solution. Thanks!

Thank you, thank you, and thank you!!! I had the exact same problem as everyone else trying to load this game and your advice was the only thing that worked.
Thanks again

[Post New]by mbatter on Nov 2, 10 10:09 AM
marielh wrote:For anyone else with this problem, I came up with a solution. I'm not sure it's the best or most elegant solution, but I got the game to work. I copied the entire folder that contained the game (Nancy Drew - Danger on Deception Island) from where it was automatically installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\) and pasted it into the folder C:\Program Files\. I left the .ini file exactly as it was when I installed it. I did not delete the originally installed program, but just copied it to the other folder. Now, I can run the problem from the BFG Manager or from the desktop icon that was created when I installed the game. If this happened to you and you need to do this, first right click on the desktop icon and click on "Open file location" to get to the main game folder. Good luck!

FINALLY SOMETHNG that works!! Thank you sooooooo much!!

[Post New]by Newbie97 on Nov 5, 10 11:30 PM
I need help pleeaaaasssssssseeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I blew my allowance on this game and I got the installation. But whenever I try to open the game my computer hangs and nothing happens. Pleaseee help I'm desperate

[Post New]by corbingurl on Dec 8, 10 1:00 AM
I DID'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE GAMES, WHAT I HAD A PROBLEM WITH WAS WHEN I BOUGHT THE GAME JUNGLE QUEST FOR $6.99 IT DIDN'T DOWNLOAD TO MY PC. AND YES I CORRECTLY INSTALLED IT, IT JUST DID NOT TAKE. WHEN I TRIED TO OPEN IT UP IT WAS SAYING "WHEN I PURCHASED THE FULL VERSION I WOULD HAVE A UNLOCK CODE" WELL ALL I HAVE IS A CONFIRMATION # THAT I TRIED AND IT DIDN'T WORK.SO EITHER I WANT THE GAME OR I WANT MY 7.00 DOLLARS BACK.

[Post New]by 11fish on Mar 7, 11 7:34 PM
I need help with the game, it don't work at all, maybe its my win7, please help me Kathryn O'Neill

kwati
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by kwati on Mar 18, 11 2:06 PM
i have never had an issue downlaoding this game until recently and i am also getting this cant find the cif tree message, I have windows 7 and im sick of trying to redownload this game time and time again i have tried the thing that one person put about what the tech staff told them and it didnt work so I am at a loss as to what to do.

[Post New]by koolkitty22 on Apr 7, 11 11:04 AM
i really really am confused, i have that same problem and i am really bad with such computer stuff and cant find that .ini file, would some one write anwalkthrough about it step by step?

[Post New]by nipperkayla on Apr 10, 11 1:25 PM

THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! YOUR SOLUTION WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!! ))

[Post New]by tas1161 on May 24, 11 8:41 PM

[Post New]by tas1161 on May 24, 11 8:43 PM
IT WORKED !!!! thank you so much for the help I just took the file drag and dropped it into the program file and the game started right up again thank you soooooo much!!!!!

TAS

Go to: