SMQMC
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery of the Earl

[Post New]by SMQMC on Oct 23, 10 8:37 AM
romany09 wrote:I agree with you WolfenRaindancer...this is a game for those times we need to kick back. I bought it. The music is relaxing and there is just enough to make it interesting. People are commenting on the small objects but even though I'm still enjoying Phantom of the Opera, there are objects in that game that I can't see either. I think the developers did a nice job and other fishes should try the free hour, not listen to all the negativity. We gamers are special. We're not vegging in front on the TV all day; we're challenging ourselves by playing games. Let's think for ourselves too! Whew! Someone needs coffee this morning....(embarrassed)....

I've especially enjoyed your response, romany09. Right on the money IMO. We should all decide to decide!! Other reviews are very important to me but in the end I have to count on myself to decide!! I don't need a constant barrage of difficult and challenging games. The world already has enough trials going on. What I need (sometimes) is a laid-back game for some "escapism." Depending on my brain functioning on any given day, easy games might still be a challenge! Well hey, I'll be seventy-two next month. I'm still "with it" and plan on going down kicking and screaming!

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Oct 23, 10 8:45 AM
SMQMC wrote:
romany09 wrote:I agree with you WolfenRaindancer...this is a game for those times we need to kick back. I bought it. The music is relaxing and there is just enough to make it interesting. People are commenting on the small objects but even though I'm still enjoying Phantom of the Opera, there are objects in that game that I can't see either. I think the developers did a nice job and other fishes should try the free hour, not listen to all the negativity. We gamers are special. We're not vegging in front on the TV all day; we're challenging ourselves by playing games. Let's think for ourselves too! Whew! Someone needs coffee this morning....(embarrassed)....

I've especially enjoyed your response, romany09. Right on the money IMO. We should all decide to decide!! Other reviews are very important to me but in the end I have to count on myself to decide!! I don't need a constant barrage of difficult and challenging games. The world already has enough trials going on. What I need (sometimes) is a laid-back game for some "escapism." Depending on my brain functioning on any given day, easy games might still be a challenge! Well hey, I'll be seventy-two next month. I'm still "with it" and plan on going down kicking and screaming!

I AGREE

WOW, you must have been reading my brain....I am also 1 who LOVES a SLOW PACE GAME once an a while too
THANKS
I WILL go SCREAMING TOO

PEN

Four20
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Four20 on Oct 23, 10 9:25 AM
Someone please pass the barf bag.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Oct 23, 10 9:33 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I love the super hogs, like Phantom of the Opera...but sometimes ones like this one today just hits the right spot. A long night at work, only an hour or so to play until bedtime, and tired mind just wants to relax, and I am too tuckered to wrap my mind around the ones I enjoy the most. So a game like this one is perfect for me now. Items are small, and sometimes hard to find, true, but I can just sit here and kick back and slowly peruse the scene and enjoy the pace. I spent 7 hours slowly enjoying Phantom, and I had a wonderful time. But I wouldn't even attempt a game like that on the nights I have to work. So rather than tarring all the feathers with the same brush, I think it is good that there are different styles of play in the same genre. This one might not be your cup of tea at the moment...I know most of you have the weekends off and want to sink your teeth ito something really good. But there may be a day where you only have an hour or so to play and your mind is in the right spot to slow down and enjoy one like this. I played 25 minutes, and stopped and used a credit to get it. I really am tired and bed is calling my name, but I know that when I get off in the morning, this one will be waiting for me to pick up where I left off. And the music on low in the background is strangly relaxing.

After my previous comment on this game. I went back later and finished the trial. You have said it all. An easy going game, not particularly hard but a chill out game. I bought it.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Oct 23, 10 9:34 AM
Thanks, Cherb, for the review...You said it so I don't have to. I always look for your comments. Whether I agree or not on the final verdict of a game I value your reviews as their well written and your opinions well supported.

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Oct 23, 10 9:36 AM
Nope, not for me - slow, boring, silly story (and not much story, actually). I play on a laptop and found some of the items almost impossible to see so used the hints a lot. Appreciate that hints charged pretty quickly. Found all the diamonds on a couple of scenes, but didn't seem to be much point - never got a message about screen savers so don't know what they look like. Since I didn't care for the art work, don't expect that I would care for them.

Played for about 30 minutes and really tried to like it - didn't work. I was so.o.o.o bored. Deleted the demo and will wait for tomorrow's game - maybe it will be better.

Happy gaming!

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Oct 23, 10 9:54 AM
barbaralbb wrote:Nope, not for me - slow, boring, silly story (and not much story, actually). I play on a laptop and found some of the items almost impossible to see so used the hints a lot. Appreciate that hints charged pretty quickly. Found all the diamonds on a couple of scenes, but didn't seem to be much point - never got a message about screen savers so don't know what they look like. Since I didn't care for the art work, don't expect that I would care for them.

Played for about 30 minutes and really tried to like it - didn't work. I was so.o.o.o bored. Deleted the demo and will wait for tomorrow's game - maybe it will be better.

Happy gaming!

You lasted 30 minutes??? How impressive

[Post New]by birdlady101 on Oct 23, 10 10:32 AM
I just finished the hour and got tired of searching for things....even with help. Sorry, no buy for me.

Rose151
Clownfish
Clownfish
520 Posts

[Post New]by Rose151 on Oct 23, 10 10:52 AM
After playing Phantom and being totally spoiled by the beauty of that game, seeing Earl was such a disappointment. Gave up when I couldn't find all of the 20 marbles and lost mine completely.
Welcome home CasualGran.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery of the Earl-length?

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Oct 23, 10 11:13 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. After Opera it was much more laid back..I first was disappointed but played the whole hour and found myself pulled in. I don't know how long this is and that is usually the kicker for me. It feels short but what do I know.
Anyone played the whole game yet?
Chris

Cyndo123
Shark
Shark
14,957 Posts

[Post New]by Cyndo123 on Oct 23, 10 11:20 AM
Hi Chris..

If you go here: http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/mystery-of-the-earl-walkthrough/

you can see exactly how far along you are.

HTH

[Post New]by canadianyay on Oct 23, 10 11:35 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:I agree with you Cherbtoo. This is an iHog/Frog game and it isn't so difficult as far as the intricacy of the gameplay; rather, some of the objects are hard to see.

Dear fellow fishies
I enjoy your informative reviews but sometimes feel out of the loop. What in is a FroG. I figured out what an IHOG is, but this one has me stumped. What the is it!

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 11:37:08 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Oct 23, 10 11:57 AM
Four20 wrote:Someone please pass the barf bag.

ROFLOL

Gee, Four20, why so shy?? We wish you would tell us how you really feel!!

LOLOL

leeleesma
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by leeleesma on Oct 23, 10 12:36 PM
help I'm stuck in the earl's room by the mirror help

[Post New]by nekkidsquirrel on Oct 23, 10 12:36 PM
noticed some people commenting on the size of items to be found.... in phantom there was times i thought i was gonna have to get the magnifying glass out, lol.... i think it has tons do with the game as a whole... if its a beautiful game we are more likely to put up with small items than if a game just isnt that interesting as a whole....

hope that made sense, lol..... my brain is tired stayed up too late last night playing campfire legends: babysitter

KitKat5169
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,099 Posts

[Post New]by KitKat5169 on Oct 23, 10 12:54 PM
I must really like torturing myself because I played the demo through. Although this should have been my type of game (IHOG/FROG), the fact that the pictures of what you were supposed to find fragments of were in black & white, and the pieces were impossible to find, whether it be 20 marbles or fragments. I had to use the hint button so often that it completely took away from the whole game.

brewcan1
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

[Post New]by brewcan1 on Oct 23, 10 2:08 PM
Wow,what a horrible game.Will noy buy.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Oct 23, 10 2:12 PM
The graphics were cartoony. The gameplay varied from really easy to nearly impossible and little inbetween. The storyline is wonderful, too bad the gameplay didn't match.

This game is a C. And the wobbly screen after too many wrong clicks made me ill.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 23, 10 4:17 PM
Pearly11 wrote:I deleted it after 20 minutes into the trial. There's no 'unique gameplay' it's just plain boring, the music wanted me to throw the speakers out of the window. What is this Pixie about? and all these stupid messages she finds? Having to find all these diamonds totally distracted me from finding the actual items.
It's a NO..NEVER for me. No way could I get so bored to play this.
Entirely agree with you. + have you ever seen such horrible modern looking chairs in what is supposed to be an ancient castle ?? Finding the marbles was a bit too much, hint button as soon as it was refilled, plain boring and very discutable graphics.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Oct 23, 10 4:51 PM
I played through the whole hour demo and a couple of things really bothered me to keep me from purchasing the game right away. FIrst, the hidden objects were so tiny, they were very difficult to find. I wasn't sure why I was supposed to be collecting the diamonds, but I only found all ten in one room. It was only by accident as I didn't even realize at first I had found them all. The hint button refreshed quickly, but it isn't fun when you are just sitting around waiting for the hint button to refresh so you can go on to the next screen.

The second thing that sort of irritated me was the heroine. She seemed to be the damsel in distress who all of a sudden gets gusty to rescue her man. Just seemed a little cheesy to me. Another thing was that sometimes it seemed like my "clicks" weren't working. I would click on an object and it wouldn't take. However, after clicking a few times or coming back to the item, it worked. In my hour, I got to the beginning of chapter 4 so I was halfway there to the end since there are 8 chapters. I think if there was a sale on, it was the DD, or I need one more punch by the end of the month, I would consider this game. Otherwise, I think I'll pass.

Edited on 10/23/2010 at 5:36:06 PM PST

Go to: