bfgTigris
Salmon
Salmon
2,693 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Letters from Nowhere

[Post New]by bfgTigris on Oct 27, 10 9:06 AM
Hi folks!

Thanks for getting this thread started! I'm going to go ahead and sticky this at the top of the forum.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Thanks!

bfgTigris

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Oct 27, 10 9:14 AM
This is nice straight HOG if you are in the mood for one. I might buy this on a DD-I prefer a HOG with extra aspects to it. Ok storyline, not crazy about the point system, but it does let you buy cute and somewhat helpful upgrades. Graphics are good, music a bit too repetitive, and finding objects is more challenging than a lot of HOGs.

hazy12
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by hazy12 on Oct 27, 10 9:27 AM
Too dark, too slow and too dull -

Kegggie
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by Kegggie on Oct 27, 10 10:20 AM
MIsty5 asked what happened to Poodlebear and her great reviews.

As far as I remember she posted back in the Spring that she had decided not to write any more. If you do a search of all the forums on her name, there should be more info.

Edited on 10/27/2010 at 10:21:04 AM PST

Aka21
Flounder
Flounder
2,025 Posts

[Post New]by Aka21 on Oct 27, 10 11:02 AM
Just a comment:
I only played two scenes to make sure the game worked on my PC and then purchased.
I really enjoy HOGs from this developer!

Thanks to everyone who takes the time to write reviews! They are appreciated.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Oct 27, 10 11:57 AM
Here is my "review from beyond the purchase": The scenes seem to get murkier and murkier, and the objects much harder to find/identify as you advance through the chapters. I bought this game because I like a relatively simple HOG with nice mini-games, not a complex "figure out what to do next" game. One problem with reviews that are posted based on 20 minutes of playing the demo is that they may reflect play that is atypical for the whole game. I bought the game based on the clarity of the early scenes. If you have trouble with eyesight, or just hate having to use a hint to find something that is basically invisible in the murk, you will not like this game much as it moves along. A shame, because this a good developer and (to me) an interesting concept. I think the desire to be "moody" ran away with the designers to the detriment of players.

Just one person's opinion, but it is based on over 2 hours of play.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Oct 27, 10 1:41 PM
Really like this one. Items are not real easy to find, but not extremely difficult either. Makes it a bit more challenging. Purchasing the extras to get more points, or find an object, etc. is different and fun. Graphics are good and clear, music isn't annoying. Some "stamps" are a bit hard to find, but so far I have only missed one, so have to make that one up somewhere to open the unlimited version. I like playing for something other than just the end of the game. Having unlimited objects to find is sometimes very challenging. Story line is nothing new, unless there is a surprise at the end, but that's okay too. I play for the fun of it, not so much the story. Played for 1 hour and am only on level 4. Got quite a few more to go according to the walkthrough. Like it, bought it...we need more like this one. Thanks!

Edited on 10/27/2010 at 1:43:35 PM PST

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Oct 27, 10 2:03 PM
I tried to like this game as the story line is quite interesting and voice overs well done. However the-for me- hard to find objects dark scenes and at times unclear objectives make this an exercise in frustration I can do without.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 27, 10 2:20 PM
Just got through with the free download and it's ok.. I don't think I will be buy it as I really like to wait for something a little different. Music ok and graphics are good and it does have something different with getting games for the stamps you collect. I used to get some games to test but haven't gotten any in a long time. Maybe I didn't give the correct feedback? Oh well..

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Oct 27, 10 2:23 PM

[Post New]by oceanloverOH on Oct 27, 10 2:42 PM
Played about 30 minutes of the demo. Just a straight (and rather boring) HOG. *yawn* this is a no-buy for me.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 27, 10 3:44 PM
kat1117 wrote:Not too impressed with this game. A few years ago I would have bought it. Seems like I am a little spoiled by some of the much better games out there.

exactly!!!!!!!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 27, 10 3:48 PM
misty5 wrote:Speaking of reviewers, whatever happened to POODLEBEAR?? I would add her name to the list along with the excellent posters already mentioned here: casualgran, Cherb and GoofyDuck. Good job, all!

yes, what did happen to poodlebear? for me his/her reviews were the best!

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Oct 27, 10 6:41 PM
I have mixed feelings about this game- I probably shouldn't have bought it. The graphics are not very clear and many of the hidden items are impossible to find. I do like being able to buy the camera, etc. to help in the scenes, and the fact that there are unlimited hints and the hint button refreshes fairly quickly.
However, I feel that Spintop does a much better job at this sort of straight HOG, I much prefer the Mystery P.I. and Amazing Adventure games. I really don't know why I purchased this game--must be those leftover punchcard credits burning a hole in my pocket! LOL

mmemubon
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by mmemubon on Oct 27, 10 7:32 PM
playing this game like swimming in a small swimming pool, not much fun.

1unicorn
Guppy
Guppy
104 Posts

[Post New]by 1unicorn on Oct 27, 10 9:53 PM
For those who may not know it yet, there a total of 75 stamps(25 different sections). As you will go through the sections more than once, it does make the game a little bit longer. I bought it and still have ways to get through and there are three sections that are not even open yet. I like this game. Got 67 stamps so far.

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Oct 27, 10 10:11 PM
I wanted to like this one since I need three more punches on a card by the end of the month, but I just couldn't. The storyline was somewhat lame and disjointed to me. I just couldn't get into it. The graphics are nice and the music is fine. I liked finding the stamps and was glad it was explained why you were finding them. Being able to purchase a different "bonus" with the points you earn was a nice touch. I did think the stamps were pretty easy to find as well as the majority of objects.

Besides the storyline, though, my problem with the game was the fact that the hint button wasn't always helpful and the minigames didn't have instructions. When it came to an object that you had to find another part to go with it, the hint button would only show you the main part. If it was the other part you couldn't find, you were on your own. Secondly, the majority of minigames are pretty straightforward for a seasoned gamer. However, the one on astrology was ridiculous. Unless you know each astrological symbol and sign, you can't play the minigame. I'm glad others found the game wonderful, but I think I would pass on it even if it were a DD.

Edited on 10/27/2010 at 10:15:28 PM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Oct 28, 10 9:24 AM
Hi all.

I tried it after reading some mixed reviews, got hooked & bought it.

I loved the game, especially when I got into the swing of things. Little things like finding the purple interactive bit first, figuring out what it was on the list, then looking for its partner,

I loved the rewards you could buy, my fav two being the pallette & secondly the thermometer. once I learned how to utilize it I could track down 2-3 objects in the time.

It is of a fairly decent length, but the replay value for me (I need to get all the stamps somehow) makes it a jolly good buy.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 28, 10 9:43 AM
Reading some of the negative comments here, I was prepared for the worst.
How wonderfully delighted I was therefore when I played the demo and found that I liked the game.

I don't think that the stamps are too small - they are actually rather big (as stamp sizes go). And I love having to look for extra items to get things unlocked.

I also like the point system - adding and taking away points for certain actions. And I've noticed that when you buy an extra hint system, for example, the thermometer, it only works in that particular episode and then you have to buy another one. Makes you want to earn more points.

I also like having to find an item, which I have to add to another one to make it a whole one. Love that sort of thing.

What I didn't like was this: when I needed to know where one part of the two I had to combine was, I clicked on the hint button and it would only show me the one item that has a circle around it when you hover over it, but it won't show the other part I need to find to add to this part. That was somewhat annoying.

Otherwise, I liked the graphics, and the voice of the woman was not bad either, and gameplay was fun. Quite entertaining and definitely a buy for me.

[Post New]by Bigfishette on Oct 28, 10 10:30 AM
Bigfishette wrote:If you're a fan of the Amazing Adventures and Mystery P.I. games then you will like this game. I really love this type of HOG. Lots to find and interesting minigames. Takes a really long time to play and has the bonus at the end where you can find all the hidden objects. I don't really care about the story and am enjoying just finding things and I also like all the different stamps you can accumulate which I think adds to the challenge of playing.

I'm finding that I'm liking type of game series even better as I think it is quite unique. Has great replay value which I love. Thank you BFG. Hope the developers make a sequel. Enjoying all the animations in the rooms especially when they're animals. Glad to read that some like it too.

Go to: