Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Valley

[Post New]by Tchiquitamom on Oct 30, 10 6:53 AM
baglady159 wrote:
weeharleyboy wrote:It's ...'Can't Remember Something', Shadow!

Actually...it's "can't remember sh*t".. ...buts thats in my neck of the woods .

Just a a quick story to share: Years ago I was a mechanic in the Air Force and I belonged to a unit called the Component Repair Squadron. Part of my uniform was a baseball cap with bold lettering CRS. When i went home for a visit, my mom and several of her friends offered to buy as many of the caps as I could get them because they all said they "suffered" from CRS. Needless to say their definition was the same as baglady159's. Thanks for the chuckle.

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 6:55:00 AM PST

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Oct 30, 10 7:38 AM
WOW

WE here always say CRS ...is Can't Remember S...2..lol.lol

THANKS for the reviews

I'm going to demo

Happy Gaming

PEN

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 30, 10 7:40 AM
Once again wanted to like this game but found it to be just Ok. I like hand drawn graphics if they are well done and these were quite grainy in my opinion. The hour that I played was not riveting but rather mundane. For me this game is not worth the sale price or the credit that I am waiting to use.

Edited on 10/30/2010 at 7:41:32 AM PST

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Oct 30, 10 7:58 AM
I went ahead and bought this game, I thought "why not?"
Curious as to ending.
My only "complaint" is the book that gives you clues.
It doesn't cross out all the things I've accomplished and
right now I'm stuck on finding a bowl.
I like the fact that once you are done with a room you cannot
go back. Saves alot of unnecessary traveling around trying to
remember "where did I see that, where is it".

In the H. O. I have had to use hints to find feathers, wish they
wouldn't bother with those, not building a bird.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Oct 30, 10 7:59 AM
For me, it's a no-buy because of the hand-holding. As soon as you need something, such as a key, you find it. There is nothing difficult or clever about the hunt. You basically jump from one HOG scene to another, and the game movement seems arbitrary to me. The characters were wooden, the dialogue stilted. But the jack-in-the-box scares were fun and, for me, effective. Shoutout to BF for the intro. There are many bettter HOG games already out there, so I'll pass.

Happy Halloween!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Oct 30, 10 8:19 AM
I was deeply engrossed when my time ran out so I bought it. I think the story is interesting. The graphics are quite grainy and everything is grimy looking but I'm still enjoying the game. I think you should try it and decide for yourself. It seems like a good game for 4.99.

debdeb11
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by debdeb11 on Oct 30, 10 8:47 AM
Wow, that was fast - I beta-tested this only on Oct. 25/10. This is from my beta review:

"Just completed beta version of "Mystery Valley", an IHOG/adventure game. The story is of an adult woman who is now a detective with the FBI, sent to investigate a murder in her childhood community. When she was a small girl, she had recurrent nightmares which only stopped when she left her home-town. Now she is back as an investigator, and it appears that her past nightmares may have some basis in reality. Couldn't get too much more of the story as the demo ended after approx. an hour.

Creepy storyline & atmosphere, I actually jumped a couple times. I made suggestions to improve naming of objects in HOG scenes and elsewhere, as some of the misnamed objects will make the game more difficult & frustrating (eg. cup instead of trophy, scanner?? instead of what appeared to be a wrench, ballerinas instead of ballet slippers, that kind of thing).

Good sound effects. Virtually no music. Beginning started with good voiceovers in cut scenes, then subsequent cutscenes had no spoken words over dialogue so were rather flat. However visually the cutscenes were very nice. General graphics are nice, a little on dark side.

HOG scenes varied in difficulty. Some objects hidden behind others. HOG scenes were interactive, with having to complete a mini-task/puzzle to find a couple objects in each scene.

Decent in-game instructions for the puzzles, although all the puzzles that were offered in the beta were very easy. I had no technical problems and everything ran very smoothly, no long loading between scenes.

Storyline looks like it could have some potential, did make me wonder how it would progress and looked intriguing. I enjoy IHOGs (the less HOG scenes the better for my preferences), and particularly prefer adventure games. Although this seemed quite easy to me, it was still overall enjoyable and I would consider buying when it is released."

I will definitely give the demo a go now. The beta version did not have choices as to casual/hard, that kind of thing, so nice to see that is available. I hope they fixed some of the object names, but in 5 days? hmmmm. Either way, the beta was fun, though easy, so I will check out it out now & will likely be a buy for me at the beginning of the month.

stevieferr
Clownfish
Clownfish
770 Posts

[Post New]by stevieferr on Oct 30, 10 8:51 AM
the trouble with these hand drawn sort of games is its great if you have good eye sight but i find it difficult even with me glasses on to find some things and get fed up waiting for the hint to recharge,im doing asylum game at the moment so will hang on to this game until ive finished that one.....................hopefully the graphics get better later on

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Oct 30, 10 9:01 AM
Hey Fishies,

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm going to go ahead and sticky it so that other can join in. Feel free to also check out this thread for more comments on this game:

Mystery Valley

Let's remember to keep this thread reserved for thoughts and opinions on the game. If you need any help with the game, you can always search the Forum using the 'Advanced Forum Search' or start one of your own by clicking on 'Create New Discussion' at the top of the Game Forum.

Happy posting!

-bfgArnoStyx

[Post New]by brightlyiburn on Oct 30, 10 9:52 AM
My husband and I tried it this afternoon. At first we liked it. It was a bit spooky and intriguing. But...

Well, first of all, the hidden object scenes began to really break immersion. I mean, you need to suspend disbelief a bit with most HOGs anyway because of the piles of junk, but these were more nonsensical than usual. Before the hour was even up, it was getting on our nerves.

Then there's the fact that the main character is an idiot. Sorry, but it has to be said. She's supposed to be an FBI agent and she's (I think) investigating murders, but she decides to go haring off alone into a dangerous old mine. She refuses to wait for backup, because she believes there's some connection to her past...? I think. The storyline was a bit vague to begin with and became increasingly unclear.

Which leads me to my third big problem. The writing is just poor. Not just the story, but apparently no one proofread this game for spelling and grammar mistakes. I know a lot of these games are developed by foreign studios, and I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with bad grammar and lots of misspellings, though. I thought BF looked at these games before putting them up for sale?

I noticed some of the other things other people have complained about, too. This is definitely not a game we'll be buying.

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Oct 30, 10 10:15 AM
mhatfie wrote:Once again wanted to like this game but found it to be just Ok. I like hand drawn graphics if they are well done and these were quite grainy in my opinion. The hour that I played was not riveting but rather mundane. For me this game is not worth the sale price or the credit that I am waiting to use.

I tend to agree with you on this game mhatfie.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Oct 30, 10 10:21 AM
Well, I bought it because of the sale and wanted something to entertain me on a dreary Saturday afternoon. I enjoyed the demo even though I found some of the items rather small. The story seems to go downhill after this. It's like it's been developed by two separate people.
The items in the HOG scenes got smaller and smaller (and more junk pile) and the story more ludicrous. The journal was little to no help as you couldn't go back to previous pages and read clues (ie The tale of the white knight) and so where left with no option but to go to walkthrough or skip the puzzle (or this is what I found).
Spoiler:
At the end I spent a lot of time wandering around trying to find something to light the dynamite with. Who uses unlit dynamite? And I still had the green potion in my inventory, which I thought could be something to do with it, even though I was pretty sure that I had already used it. It just got silly IMHO.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Oct 30, 10 10:39 AM
I ended up buying it because I had a credit. The HOG scenes were a little fuzzy and they could improve on that! It was fun and I'm glad I got it.

Strixi
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by Strixi on Oct 30, 10 10:44 AM
First, I must admit that I am a sucker for vampire games, pun thoroughly intended, so I'm a little bit biased just because of the subject.

However, I so rarely jump out of my skin playing a game, but I did with this one not 15 minutes in. Based on that alone, I have to spend the five bucks on it, both to enjoy and to finish this month's punch card. I love a good fright!

And the BFG opening tickled me pink.

My approach to casual games is that they're supposed to be fun. Yes, it's a little bit simple, but that's okay. The ambiance more than makes up for it, especially this weekend with Halloween. In fact, I think this is one of those rare times when the slight graininess to the graphics just adds to the feeling of creepiness.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Oct 30, 10 10:56 AM
I went ahead and bought the game after my hour was up and just finished it. I played (as usual) in the easier mode. Here are my thoughts:

Other fishies have mentioned the abrupt transitions. I noticed it too and found it rather annoying. There were several grammatical errors and items that were incorrectly named-in one scene I had to find two torches. Found one and then kept clicking on a flashlight, but that wasn't it. I was surprised when, out of sheer frustration I clicked on a certain item and that was it. Some HOG scenes were relatively easy and I breezed through. Some were harder either because of incorrectly named items as mentioned above or too small items, but the hint recharged quickly enough. The journal was not much help as I was unable to flip back to remember the clues I needed for the knight puzzle, I did like the fact I was able to use windows mode in order to check for a walkthrough towars the end of the game. My laptop has a screen resolution of 1366 x 768 So I frequently find I am unable to switch to windows mode and must exit out of the game entirely if I want to check a walkthrough. Still, all in all it's not a bad game and I purchased it because 1) Storyline and 2) I needed 1 more game for my punchcard and 3) it's on sale. It's a rather short game, but it might have taken me longer if I had played the more difficult mode.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Oct 30, 10 11:03 AM
I wanted to feel the love ...But .... I'm not ..Just to boring for me as well ,

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 30, 10 11:11 AM
Just finished the game and it wasn't a great game. I found it to be on the easy side and boring. It won't be a buy for me and I am still waiting for a game that will WOW me.

gramma66
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by gramma66 on Oct 30, 10 11:21 AM
i downloaded mystery valley and could not get the game to work either so what i did was uninstall the game and downloaded it again and did not change the cursor and now the game works fine so far but i do not like the big cursor but thats the only way the game would play so i hope bigfish can fix this

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 30, 10 11:51 AM
I played the demo hour and give it a C. Of course, hard to know if the story's any good from just the first hour. There were things on the hidden object list, that when I found them using the hint finally, I went "HUH? *that's* what you wanted???"

Well, that's my opinion... Enjoy it if you have a mind to though!

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Oct 30, 10 12:00 PM
Tech troubles, blurry graphics, too easy for my level of gaming, and boring... *sigh*

After much anticipation, this game was a total disappointment for me. Won't be purchasing it for any amount of money.

Go to: