sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Atlantis: Mysteries of Ancient Inventors

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 2, 10 4:42 AM
carolinacat wrote:I'm going to download and try it but it doesn't sound promising...

Side note - what's with the really LOOOONG comments and reviews?? There should be a limit to how long they can be. Differing viewpoints are more meaningful than one extremely long one from one person, IMHO.

No, there should NOT be a limit, and more than we limit the number of people that post the useless one-liners like "terrible," or "boring," or "worst game ever" without bothering to say WHY they don't like it.

We had this same discussion yesterday on the Bloodline of the Fallen forums, and it's come up in a few threads in the past couple of weeks. If you don't like the long USEFUL reviews, don't read them - but don't discourage the writers who are putting in a lot of effort to make sure that everyone understands the functionality and gameplay to expect in the new games. I'd rather read the two or three detailed reviews than the 20-30 posts that simply trash every new game in 12 words or less.

Are you paying more for the long posts to "print" on your computer screen? Or is it just too much work to scroll down to the next entry?

Lilac657
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Lilac657 on Nov 2, 10 5:01 AM
I appreciate all who take the time to write reviews, long or short. Thanks!

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Nov 2, 10 5:02 AM
Re: Lengthy Reviews:
I have noticed a new trend for lonnnnng reviews right after a new game is released, which equates to me as it is written by someone that has actually played the game in it's entirety only to find that most of these long "reviews" are based on the 60 minute trials. Some even say at the end they didn't even play the full hour. All of us have access to the free trial but not the purchased game. These long 'non' reviews are a waste of time to read and a disservice to the other fishies and the deveopers. There are too many unknowns after the trial is over such as glitches, storyline, etc. Comments on new games are OK.....whether it's on a demo or complete game. But a detailed review? Those should be reserved for a completed game. Please clarify at the start of your review what you're basing it on. It's starting to look like a contest between the same first few posters who are prolific writers to see who posts first. I have started to skip the first couple of pages for this reason, and read the 'real' reviews that appear later from people who have actually played the complete game.

Edited on 11/02/2010 at 5:33:54 AM PST

donnasm
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by donnasm on Nov 2, 10 5:09 AM
I like the long reviews. Often it helps me to decide if I download the demo - it takes far less time to read a long review than to download a demo only to find out the game is full of my dislikes - dark scenes, tiny objects, the dreaded STD's etc. Keep the reviews coming.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 2, 10 5:11 AM
carolinacat wrote:I'm going to download and try it but it doesn't sound promising...

Side note - what's with the really LOOOONG comments and reviews?? There should be a limit to how long they can be. Differing viewpoints are more meaningful than one extremely long one from one person, IMHO.

Now,mind you,I really don't care either way but I think originally the limit was how much you could fit in one post but........ they can be continued.......I guess.
Dr.good

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Nov 2, 10 5:16 AM
Long reviews don't bother me. I don't always read word for word. Sometimes I glance over them and if there's something I want to read I read it. Each person has their own preference about posts.

I am undecided about this game. It's nice that you can skip the mini-games if you want. I did this time because I wanted to see what else the game has. When I buy a game I start all over again and play the mini-games and read the dialogue.

I like putting things together. I normally like more challenge in a game but once in a while it's nice to play one that doesn't take as much brain power. lol It's nice to play relaxing games now and then. I find this one to be more relaxing.

The question "How long is the game" can have a few different answers. When I play a game, I like taking my time. I don't like using hints or a walkthrough unless I am "stuck beyond stuck". Where I have no other choice. What takes one person 2 or 3 hours to play a game, may take me 7 or 8 hours spread over a few days. I like games that make me think. I don't give up very easily.

The graphics were clear and I didn't have much trouble finding the objects. I didn't find any to be too small to find.

I think I need to play this game a little bit more before I decide whether or not to buy it. It didn't immediately grab me like more challenging games do.

Have a good day everyone!!

Edited on 11/02/2010 at 5:18:35 AM PST

shaboo58
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by shaboo58 on Nov 2, 10 5:17 AM
I love the long reviews. I then know the person played the demo and cared enough to give us info on which to help us decide if we want to even demo it.
It's so much better then...
.I played it for 10 minuted and it really sucked
.not there's a review.

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 2, 10 5:24 AM
sinshack wrote:

No, there should NOT be a limit, and more than we limit the number of people that post the useless one-liners like "terrible," or "boring," or "worst game ever" without bothering to say WHY they don't like it.

We had this same discussion yesterday on the Bloodline of the Fallen forums, and it's come up in a few threads in the past couple of weeks. If you don't like the long USEFUL reviews, don't read them - but don't discourage the writers who are putting in a lot of effort to make sure that everyone understands the functionality and gameplay to expect in the new games. I'd rather read the two or three detailed reviews than the 20-30 posts that simply trash every new game in 12 words or less.

Are you paying more for the long posts to "print" on your computer screen? Or is it just too much work to scroll down to the next entry?

I just commented on this on the Bloodline of the Fallen forum (and thanked you for your great post, Sinshack). I really appreciate the long reviews. They give me an idea of what to expect when I demo the game. The ones that say "terrible game, I won't buy" or "great game, definitely a buy" don't tell me anything. My feeling is, if you don't like them, then don't read them, but let's not limit them. That would be a little drastic, don't you think?

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Nov 2, 10 5:24 AM
I played it for only three minutes and got so annoyed by the whistle everytime I found something that I deleted it again.
I find the storyline at the beginning a bit flat 'help me to find Atlantis' and I don't like comic characters at all unless the game is supposed to be funny. Some items I couldn't pick up even though they were listed, like the flash light.
Really asking: What's the point in this?

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Nov 2, 10 5:29 AM
I nominate " goofyduck77 " for providing the "BEST" reviews of new games. They are professsional, detaileled and very helpfull. Goofy obvioulsly puts a lot of time and effort into them and it is greatly aappreciated. Keep up the EXECELLENT work. Where is " NONONONO " ? I also value these reviews as they are also very professional and extremely helpfull. Please excuse any typos, my eyesight is not quite as good as it used to be. Also I appreciate all the other people who put in the time and effort to write professional reviews. Happy Gaming to all.

'

ccraig41
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by ccraig41 on Nov 2, 10 5:36 AM
Sorry ..but I enjoy the long reviews. I come here to read the opinions of others to help me decide if I want to download a game. There are 3 or 4 people whose reviews of games pretty regularly match my own opinions of games that I play and for generally the same reasons. I can't speak for anyone else here in the pond..but my life is an insane whirl of crazy and excessive responsibilities. My time is amazingly limited even when it comes to downloading games!! The 2 or 3 minutes it takes me to read all the reviews in the forum (including the long ones) saves me immeasurable frustration and unhappiness later. Isn't it fabulous that we have the opportunity HERE to skip dialogue that we don't want to read?!
That being said ...I have now used up the time that I had to spend here today and will have to download later!
Keep up the good work everyone and thank you for taking the time to do it!

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Nov 2, 10 5:44 AM
ADTech wrote:I nominate " goofyduck77 " for providing the "BEST" reviews of new games. They are professsional, detaileled and very helpfull. Goofy obvioulsly puts a lot of time and effort into them and it is greatly aappreciated. Keep up the EXECELLENT work. Where is " NONONONO " ? I also value these reviews as they are also very professional and extremely helpfull. Please excuse any typos, my eyesight is not quite as good as it used to be. Also I appreciate all the other people who put in the time and effort to write professional reviews. Happy Gaming to all.

Unfortunately all that time spent writing is based on a trial version, that is available for all of us to play to make up our own minds. What isn't available to us is what comes after the trial. Now that info would be more important to help us decide if we want to purchase the game or not. Movie reviews aren't based on trailers or previews but from someone who has watched the entire movie.
P.S. I'm not picking on Goofy Duck (there are plenty others that post mini books on trials)...it just was easy to copy/paste your reply.
My main issue is: If you are one of the first posters with the long reviews, please state at the get go whether it's after playing the demo or you completed the game. Thanks

Edited on 11/02/2010 at 6:06:38 AM PST

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Nov 2, 10 5:45 AM
LapTopDancerr wrote:Re: Lengthy Reviews:
I have noticed a new trend for lonnnnng reviews right after a new game is released, which equates to me as it is written by someone that has actually played the game in it's entirety only to find that most of these long "reviews" are based on the 60 minute trials. Some even say at the end they didn't even play the full hour. All of us have access to the free trial but not the purchased game. These long 'non' reviews are a waste of time to read and a disservice to the other fishies and the deveopers. There are too many unknowns after the trial is over such as glitches, storyline, etc. Comments on new games are OK.....whether it's on a demo or complete game. But a detailed review? Those should be reserved for a completed game. Please clarify at the start of your review what you're basing it on. It's starting to look like a contest between the same first few posters who are prolific writers to see who posts first. I have started to skip the first couple of pages for this reason, and read the 'real' reviews that appear later from people who have actually played the complete game.

I personally appreciate very much the detailed reviews that actually tell WHY the reviewer liked or disliked the game and describe different parts of the game play. I do NOT think these have to be limited to players who have completed the entire game at all, but I DO like knowing whether said review is based on the demo or the entire game.

What I dislike very much are the reviews that don't give any indication of how much IF ANY of the game was played or that give only negative comments on the game after playing only 5-15 minutes or less.

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Nov 2, 10 5:53 AM
Edit// Duplicate error.

Edited on 11/02/2010 at 5:58:40 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 2, 10 6:05 AM
Is this a new thread on "how long reviews should be". We had a lot of this yesterday. We all have our opinions, what does it matter how loooooong or how short a review is? Booooored with this now . Sorry

Oh look! This thread is for comments and reviews on this game! LOL!

Edited for spelling

Edited on 11/02/2010 at 6:08:50 AM PST

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Nov 2, 10 6:15 AM
peglegann wrote:Is this a new thread on "how long reviews should be". We had a lot of this yesterday. We all have our opinions, what does it matter how loooooong or how short a review is? Booooored with this now . Sorry

Oh look! This thread is for comments and reviews on this game! LOL!

Edited for spelling

You're absolutely right, peglegann! Shouldn't have posted my comment on this thread! Can't wait to demo this game tonight.

Edited on 11/02/2010 at 6:16:06 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 2, 10 6:33 AM
I think maybe the underlying problem here is that a few people are being singled out and thanked for reviews and others that also go to the trouble of commenting are being ignored. It is not very nice if 6 people write a review and you only bother to thank 2 of them as they are the ones you agree with.

Every day there seems to be squabbles in the review threads- I don't even bother posting reviews on TM games anymore because the same review folks who are HOG only lovers go there and trash a game because of genre.

None of the games here sound very appealing, maybe they aren't, but it is hard to find out genuinely what a sample of folks that tried the demoes first impressions are.

In short this thread needs proper moderation. The tech threads quickly get moderated, why not this thread?

I did try this game briefly and I thought the game had average graphics, the storyline was the same old archaeologist/grandfather, and the HOG searching parts were disinteresting.

[Post New]by dragonfairy5 on Nov 2, 10 6:34 AM
Someone then tell me why the first person who posted about long reviews did not take it to another thread? Sidetracking this one must have made more sense to them.

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Nov 2, 10 6:43 AM
HI fishies,

Just a quick reminder to stay on topic in the comments and reviews threads.

If you have played the game and you have some things to say, good or bad, they can be worded constructively in the specified threads.

If you would like to make general comments about games you can do so in the General Games Discussion here.

Be sure to respect your fellow gamers and critics

Happy gaming and reviewing!

bfgImbrium

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 2, 10 6:46 AM
I think reviews should be as long as it takes to give the general summation of the game touching on the main things we are concerned about. Since most of us download the demo anyway, we will soon find out if we like the game or not, and make up our minds based on that. I tend to read the ones that are short and to the point rather than the long ones.

Go to: