govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

Re:This game turns into a HOG - FROG lovers read this

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 5, 10 3:20 AM
Hi puzzledone

I didn't realise you were a FROG lover. I am sorry about your eye, I hope it does not cause you too much trouble.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 3:21:41 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 5, 10 3:30 AM
Thx gove, just a matter of cataract surgery, and the trouble is, can't seem to stay off games long enough to talk myself into an appt, and docs don't work at night LOL.

I say I'd like to be a FROG lover, especially some of the CEs I bought. But you know, the MCFs are mostly HOGs aren't they? Maybe MCF7 will change that. Don't remember if Dire Grove had any now, but players seem to love them anyway. Then it's the lost in circles for me, thank God for SGs. I just enjoy looking at them like little movies if they have a decent story or humor. Just trashed that Bloodline I bought yesterday, started out good, what a boring end, couldn't wait to finish quickly with a WT to show me where those itty bitty invisible bugs, snakes etc were. That's when one hour demos let me down too, game going nowhere and making no sense. OOps, wrong thread to talk about that one, Just feeling for you re the demo blues.

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Nov 5, 10 3:32 AM
Hey there gove!

Count me in as one of those disappointed by this FROG -> HOG stunt. My favorite games are FROGs, among them Snarkbusters, Magic Encyclopedia, Briar Rose, and the first Mystery Age. I thought I would be adding this to the list -- not so.

It would have been less disappointing if the developers mixed up the HOG/FROG in the first hour, so that we'd know what to expect. However, the 60-minute demo was a pure FROG, enticing us FROG lovers to buy, and then after we buy, suddenly it's a HOG -- almost like a bait-and-switch scheme!

If it were a visual HOG, with picture lists (as in Golden Trails and Sarah Maribu), I would have enjoyed it much more. But no, it's just a straight HOG with word lists, which really wears me down.

It's all the fault of the mother in Mystery Age: Imperial Staff! who called her daughter so many confusing pet names that the daughter has grown up with a HOG / FROG identity crisis!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 5, 10 3:43 AM
Or maybe after the first hour she got therapy for split personality disorder, or Sybil Complex, and pulled herself together. Or one of those herb potions.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 5, 10 3:46 AM
On "reflection", like those mirror frags I wanted to put together, love jigsaws, kinda make me feel whole, then ZAP, miracle, suddenly it was a mirror..magic I say.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 3:47:05 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 5, 10 4:18 AM
dvdiva wrote:

It's all the fault of the mother in Mystery Age: Imperial Staff! who called her daughter so many confusing pet names that the daughter has grown up with a HOG / FROG identity crisis!

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Nov 5, 10 4:52 AM
govegril wrote:For those like myself that bought or thinking of buying this game because they thought it would be a FROG...

I am nearly at the end, and it isn't even one tenth FROG. It starts off that way, then it is endless HOG after HOG straight list hidden object search, visiting the same scenes over and over and search and search again.

If you are in the mood for such a game then this is a nice one, if straight HOG list search bores you, then you will be disappointed.

Check the walkthrough for exact details of HOG vs FROG.

Manythanks for all your posts. I too had almost decided to buy it after seeing the initial reviews and still after trying the demo. Fortunately I didn't go ahead at the time & now I won't, I don't like straight HOGs either.

Audreyfavre
Herring
Herring
385 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyfavre on Nov 5, 10 8:31 PM
Even though I personally LOVED this game, FROG lovers will be disappointed. Yes, after a couple of hours the hidden object scenes do turn into lists or find 15 of something. There are maybe 2 or 3 FROG scenes near the end. Don't know if that appeases anyone or not.

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

Re:This game turns into a HOG

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Nov 7, 10 8:01 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:So far I have found it to be a nice mix of HOG and IFROG. I am loving it and don't have one negative thing to say about it!! A very worthy sequel to The Imperial Staff so far... I am one extremely happy camper!

I have to agree with you Shadow 100% though I would have appreciated more FROG than HOG in this particular game. But then everything else in the game, graphics, story line, length, etc., etc. made up for the lack of FROG this time. I'd definitely play this game again and would consider it one of my favorites. Hopefully there will be another soon and the developers will add more FROG.

Solgud
Herring
Herring
311 Posts

[Post New]by Solgud on Apr 19, 11 7:48 PM
I started playing this game with my 10 year old, non-English speaking niece because I thought it was a FROG. We were really disappointed when suddenly there were no more FROGs.
I like both FROGs and HOGs but I really don´t like what the developers did here! All FROGs in the beginning and then switching to all HOGs. The demo really doesn´t represent the game. I would have liked it better to have more FROGs mixed in or more HOGs in the beginning to show us what to expect.
I like the game. It´s just not the game I thought I was buying.

Go to: