confused365
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Downtown Secrets

[Post New]by confused365 on Nov 5, 10 6:03 AM
This is one of those games - the more real estate u have, the better. Tried it on a 15 inch, res. etc. bumped, switched to a 23 than a 27 inch. Big difference.

Good graphics & story line.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Nov 5, 10 6:05 AM
sinshack wrote:
arthurC wrote:(Off topic a bit)

Other hints from Picman and Solice imply that it has something to do with a Delta, possibly Pirates, and the screenshot that was "leaked" shows a swamp scene, possibly in Lousianna. Speculation has run wild, but currently I believe it will have something to do with Madame Fate, and MF had several Ravenhurst clues scattered throughout that game.

The first place I thought of when I saw the screenshot was also Lousianna. Waiting and watching expectantly...

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 6:07:21 AM PST

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Nov 5, 10 6:06 AM
Have played half an hour of demo.

I'm in a quandary about this game. It's a straight HOG as far as I can see, only minimal interactivity and I only came across one mini-game in all that time. I reckon this game could get a bit boring for me, BUT I want to know what happens in the story. Shall I buy or leave it? Oh dear

honeyg412
Clownfish
Clownfish
985 Posts

[Post New]by honeyg412 on Nov 5, 10 6:23 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:

P.S. As an additional note, I cannot BELIEVE Return to Ravenhearst is the Daily Deal! Off to buy immediately!

goofyduck I can't believe you haven't played RTR yet. You'll love it. Once again, thanks for the great review. Now off to DL.

Happy gaming fellow fishies,
Honey

[Post New]by louisebarton on Nov 5, 10 6:30 AM
This game is incredibly annoying! It kept freezing up when I was trying to start playing, and even though I clicked on 'Skip', the movie kept playing. The scenes are well rendered, but far too small to see anything. After I got out of the game, it froze my computer, and Big Fish game manager was not responding. I even had a hard time uninstalling it, as the task manager didn't want to come up so that I could close Big Fish. I'm starting to wonder who tests these games for glitches and other problems!

kat1117
Clownfish
Clownfish
956 Posts

[Post New]by kat1117 on Nov 5, 10 6:47 AM
Not a bad game. I like a man as lead for a change. I think I will put this one on my maybe later list.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 5, 10 7:06 AM
Well, I just used my monthly credit to get this one. I know it will be a huge challenge, mostly because it is so darned hard to find anything. I am getting the impression that the monitor the developers used was a 60" plasma screen.

The graphics are nice and sharp, nothing grainy or blurry (expect background areas that are supposed to be slightly out of focus), but the items are extremely small for the most part, and the larger ones are only found in the close up scenes that you need to discover within the main screen.

The storyline does seem interesting so far, not "same old, same old" and it's refreshing to NOT have a female lead for a change, especially since the female leads are often shaped like Barbi on steroids.

The black bars on each side of the screen are a real annoyance - it makes you feel like they shortchanged us on the graphics, and if they had filled the screen the objects MIGHT have been big enough to actually see. The redeeming quality is the fast-filling hint button. I've had to use it a few times, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how many objects I've been able to find on my own.

Overall, I'd give this a B for the clarity of the graphics, and a D for the find-ability of the objects, so it averages out to a C on that aspect. Music is actually quite good so far, and so is the storyline. I expect it to be quite a long game, mostly because it takes so darned long to find anything.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 5, 10 7:14 AM
Oh this one has got my attetnion...it is now after 10 AM, and I have to work tonight, but played almost 30 minutes and had to buy. I like the one yesterday too, and bought it, but that one is the kind that I will finish playing when I am off. I thought this one would be a good one to play for an hour or so before going to bed, but I am telling you now...if I go back to it, I will be up way past my bedtime and I will pay for it at work tongiht. I knew I should have checked BF first thing, lol, but I spent a good hour on the phone with the fraud dept at the bank. Some one cashed one of the checks stolen from me in the burglary....wrote it for 575 bucks...and the dog gone bank actually cashed it.They wrote it on the same day the account was supposed to be closed out. It is taken care of now, thank goodness, but I sure was anxious at work last night, and will be even more so tonight. Haven't got the security set up yet...wish I could just stay home and play games all night. But gotta work to pay for these games that I buy. This one has an interesting story line to me; I love mysteries and this one has the making of a good one. Sorry to hear it isn't that long, but I know I will enjoy it anyway.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 5, 10 7:16 AM
UPDATE: When my trial expired, I was almost done with finding the objects in one scene. When I went back in after purchasing, I had to start that scene over again. I'm not sure if that means you must complete a scene before you exit for it to save at that point, or if it was just because it dumped out of the game suddenly when the trial ended, but the good news is that the second time I had to do the scene the objects list was different. That at least gives the game "replay" value.

1Seashell7
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by 1Seashell7 on Nov 5, 10 7:26 AM
I have a number of games that load with black bars on the side. I usually exit the game and go to my desktop screen. and right click anywhere on the desktop where there are no icons and then click on graphic properties. That should bring up your graphics programs settings, Look for something that says display settings. I have to click on that and then look for screen resolution. Mine is defaulted to run at 1280 x 800. I pull down the drop down menu and change the setting to 1024 x 768. I then have to hit OK or apply and then have to OK the changes again. I then go back into the game and it runs at full screen without the black bars on the side. You have to remember to go back to the default after you exit the game using the same procedure. i run Vista 32 bit with an Intel graphics card.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Nov 5, 10 7:52 AM
sinshack wrote:UPDATE: When my trial expired, I was almost done with finding the objects in one scene. When I went back in after purchasing, I had to start that scene over again. I'm not sure if that means you must complete a scene before you exit for it to save at that point, or if it was just because it dumped out of the game suddenly when the trial ended, but the good news is that the second time I had to do the scene the objects list was different. That at least gives the game "replay" value.

If you leave the game in the middle of a level it won't save for you. I tried before the demo was over and I had to start all over with the same list of objects and in the same order. I hate it when games do that mad weighs heavily with my decision as whether or not to buy it. At this point I'm not going to buy it. It didn't grab me enough to make it worth having to start a level all over again. I am really disappointed.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 7:57:14 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 5, 10 8:02 AM
This game is a no buy for me. The items are so small my eyes hurt.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 5, 10 8:33 AM
I finished the game, and I must say it was far shorter than I expected, and it didn't resolve the storyline very well. You know what happens, it doesn't have a "to be continued" feeling, but not a lot of the "why's" get answered.

Overall game lenght about 2-1/2 hours. It does get much easier to find objects as you progress through the game, partialy because you get used to the gameplay and partially because the objects just get a bit bigger and easier to spot. It does have replay value because you are looking for a different list of objects when you replay, but the same objects are in the scenes so they will be easier to see the next time, making the replayed game even shorter.

I'm not sorry I spent the credit on the game, but I wish there were a couple more chapters to round it out a bit better.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Nov 5, 10 8:34 AM
CasualGran wrote:
Isn't anybody else bothered by the windowed screen of this game?

yes I am, but when I quit out of the game it said that the game was not saved. Hmm I am playing the trial version I am glad for the male lead but I too am having trouble with the small graphics, I have a 21" monitor.

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Nov 5, 10 8:50 AM
This game is not my cup of tea, graphics are good but the game play is slow, the story line is slow, finding things is guesswork.I played 20 minutes and that was enough for me it was boring, boring. Always try before you buy

kempette
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by kempette on Nov 5, 10 9:10 AM
I beta tested this game. I'm not a HOG player, but the story & graphics are very nice & worth a look if you are a HOG player. I actually liked that the hints didn't give everything away- still made you work for it a bit. There were definitely some interesting bits to this one- much better than some of the HOGs I've tested lately which is why it stuck out in my mind.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Nov 5, 10 9:40 AM
Just finished the demo and I LIKE this game even though there were some annoying things about, namely the size of some objects, only being able to save at certain points, and missing important dialogue because you can't always pause the game for interruptions (my dogs could care less if I'm in the middle of an important scene

However, I'm still going to use a credit because I like the tone and relaxed feel of the game. It reminds me of film noir from the 40's -- not that it's my era, just like the genre The game is not as frenetically paced as some and I don't feel stressed about completing things within a certain timeframe.

I just have to remember to have my contacts out when I play this game. I'm not fond of having to take my glasses off and leave noseprints on the screen but I'll do what I hafta 'cuz I like it!

I almost forgot to mention that I also like the hint system because it's not just a gimme.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 9:41:55 AM PST

Serafinos
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Serafinos on Nov 5, 10 9:44 AM
Liked the demo -- so bought it... with only 10 mins left to play on the full game.
TOO SHORT! Would have been happy just doing the demo a tad quicker.

Can't wait for a new LARGE FILE to come out.
Love Nancy Drew &/or Agitha Christy interaction type games.
;D

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 5, 10 10:12 AM
I played for 30 min and a good story line but objects are small and need to put my reading glasses on and sometimes get near the screen to find the objects. Will play the other 30 min after resting my eyes.. Thank you 1 Seashell 7 for the advise on how to get my screen adjusted.

Edited on 11/05/2010 at 10:22:40 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 5, 10 10:14 AM
I totally agree!bought it after the demo,and ....finished it within 1/2 hour!
so,those who don't have bought it yet,you must know it is very short game!well done,but very short:1hour and a half!

Go to: