27heb49
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes: The Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by 27heb49 on Nov 11, 10 6:07 AM
Yes, CasualGran, anyone can buy games from BigFish. To pay membership prices, you must be signed in as a member.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 6:09:05 AM PST

[Post New]by mikita2 on Nov 11, 10 6:13 AM
KaticaKatica wrote:As entered to the 2nd floor and tried to apply "Materialization" on the picture to get the key, nothing happened. Can it be a bug or what id the problem? Can anybody help? Thx

I have the same problem it's a pity cause you can't go on in the game,hope some
body will come with an answer.
As soon as I know I will let you know.
Bye for now.
mikita

_ursalita_
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by _ursalita_ on Nov 11, 10 6:15 AM
@SoManyCrimes - Thank you for that review. I also have a problem when magical elements make their way into Holmes stories. That said, I think I'll buy the game anyway because I don't expect much storywise in computer games. It bothers me more in movies, tv, etc. But I just wanted to thank you for this perspective.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 11, 10 6:18 AM
Holy cow!! Kudos - Bravo - This game is fantastic so far!! Great story (my fave Sherlock story in fact), great game play and mini games. The awards are awesome, talk about precise - I solved the clock gear puzzle and it rewarded me for sticking to it for over 10 minutes!! How do they do that?? I am so impressed with this game - if you are a true IHOG fan you cannot pass this one up - I am not that far into it (have restored two portraits) but am thinking "One of the best games of the year"? already!! I haven't used the hint system, so I cannot comment on that aspect - the voice acting is outstanding and, normally bothered by a lot of dialog, I am enjoying it in this game - it is a good story and moves the game right along. I am also really enjoying some well done and new game play - I have to get back to it!

Happy day and Happy gaming everyone!!

shadowfax

ETA: I never expect games that are "adaptations" of books, etc. to stick to the original story - and this one does not - but, since I am not looking for that, I am looking for a fun game, I am never disappointed. Look at it as a "new" story and the game is awesome!!

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 6:21:57 AM PST

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Nov 11, 10 6:27 AM
This is a beautifully made game although I wish it had been an adventure game BUT I do like this one so I'm going to buy it.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 11, 10 6:27 AM
peglegann wrote: I LOVED this game - it is a beautiful iHOG and doesn't disappoint. It should be a must for iHOG lovers. At least I think so. It is on my buy list for my credit coming up in two days.

I thought that we could not use credits even if we have paid for them, or have I misunderstood you?

We can't use credits towards CEs yet. It will be a HUGE announcement when this option is available!!

Unless, I missed the HUGE announcement... lol... but I doubt it!

ETA: Speaking for myself... I am SO GLAD this is NOT AN ADVENTURE GAME!!

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 6:29:32 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 11, 10 6:28 AM
Yahoo!! I have been waiting for this one. Thank you to all of you who write such "great reviews" what would we do without you? Off to purchase.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 6:28:36 AM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Nov 11, 10 6:28 AM
Premature of me perhaps, but based upon all these raving reviews, and the fact that I am addicted to anything Sherlock Holmes, I'm off to purchase without playing a demo. The many positive reviews however, do reinforce my quick decision, and I thank everyone in advance for that. It is a monetary risk I do not mind chancing.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 6:32:03 AM PST

HoudiniCats
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by HoudiniCats on Nov 11, 10 6:53 AM
Much too easy even in "difficult mode." Compared to other Frogware Sherlock Holmes games (e.g. The Awakening, The Silver Earing) this was, for me, a disappoinment since instead of focusing on the adventure they decided to try to appeal to [removed by moderator] with the hidden object aspect. I garnered so many awards in 45 minutes (and I'm not a quick study when it comes to games) that it was absurd. Also, with the extra time I had, (15 minutes or more) I checked out the easy mode and the puzzles were exactly the same (at least as far as the 1 hour demo went).

The afore mentioned Holmes games are a much better value: they provide a lot more challenge and intrigue and don't pose as collector's editions with heftier price tags.

Yes, the graphics here are lovely (and they were also great in the adventure series).

Holmes and Watson are delightful, but the voice actor who plays Henry Baskerville is sub-par.

Those persnickety felines, Harry and Theo recommend waiting for the regular version or perhaps the daily deal.

Aside:
People have complained about not being able to use credits to puchase collector's editions, and that isn't my beef, but if I purchase a game I think is very worthwhile (at the game club price) for a friend as a gift why doesn't it count towards my punch card?

Edited on 11/16/2010 at 12:07:48 PM PST

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 11, 10 7:19 AM
I do understand that a lot of people don't particularly play for the story. But I don't understand why the game designers have done it this way. The story has no similarities with the original other than the character names and the fact that there's a dog! In fact it's difficult to imagine a story with less of a Sherlock Holmes vibe than this one.

So why not just write an entirely original story with original characters? They're 95% of the way there already. Is it to trade on the Holmes 'brand'? But anyone buying for that reason is going to be disappointed! It doesn't make any sense to me.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 11, 10 8:04 AM
Good thing I didn't put much stock in a very recent review of this game (yes, a "game," not a Kindled version of the novel). I personally found this BFG offering to be really good (not "too easy," not only appealing to "less sophisticated gamers," (since when are HOG fans "less sophisticated"?), not to be "absurd" at garnering awards).

I found the voice acting to be terrific, especially Holmes and Watson. The graphics are some of the best I've seen (and believe me, I've seen a lot!).

That the creators of this fine game would take literary license with the story doesn't bother me a bit. I say "Hooray" to BFG for offering this CE, and "Hooray" to all the positive reviewers!

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 8:27:19 AM PST

[Post New]by gamegal2010 on Nov 11, 10 8:07 AM
i am a gamer that absolutely loves HOG's and this one is fantastic! I enjoyed the graphics, music, hidden object scenes, and the mini-games. it is kind of easy to play though, and i'm worried about the length for a CE. Heard that it takes about 4 hours to finish with 2 bonus levels. contemplating a purchase here. Happy gaming fellow fishies !!!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 11, 10 8:49 AM
CasualGran wrote:
sinshack wrote:
irishmist wrote:Did I miss a message? I went to purchase this and its $19.99!What happened to $13.99? No buy for me if they have raised the prices.

Make sure you are "signed in" to the BFG website. I know every once in a while I will go to the site and need to sign in again, so that is probably your problem.

Can you be signed out than when you buy a game at BF?

Yes, because you don't have to be a game club member to buy. I belive you will be asked to provide log-in info when you purchase, but you can get as far as the purchase page without signing in.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 11, 10 8:49 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:Speaking of credits, not to be OT, but has anybody heard anything from anybody as to whether BFG is considering allowing people to use GC's and PCC's for CE's? (Now there's an acronym-ridden sentence . . . )

Last I read from picman, not until they have completed work on International
sites and then will be regular credits only.

Marissa707
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Marissa707 on Nov 11, 10 8:52 AM
Love it( so far)! Bought after 10 min. demo-play.

Anyway, talking about price: $17.49 incl. tax. Not really $13.99, is it?

So glad because this game has a gamma regulator, makes all the dark corners visible.

Happy Gaming to y'all.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 11, 10 8:54 AM
karen876 wrote:Sorry to be the only "nay sayer" on this game but I just didn't like it.
I don't understand why we have to change screen resolution to play a game (everything was "stretched" in the demo I played). We are paying to play and not spend most of our time altering our computers.

The reason is that all of us have different systems, some old and some new, different graphics cards, different OS, etc. To make the game play best on every computer right out of the box is impossible. This game has the easiest system for adjusting it to your computer of any I have seen - one last week required you to manually go out of the game and make the changes to your whole system instead of just making the adjustments for the game.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 11, 10 8:56 AM
Marissa707 wrote:Love it( so far)! Bought after 10 min. demo-play.

So glad because this game has a gamma regulator, makes all the dark corners visible.

Happy Gaming to y'all.

What is this tax you speak of?

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 11, 10 8:58 AM

as far in the year,and if the next MCF does get out before the year's end,it is for me the game of the year

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 11, 10 9:00 AM
Marissa707 wrote:Love it( so far)! Bought after 10 min. demo-play.

Happy Gaming to y'all.

Marissa, are you in the United States? If not, it's probably the difference in currency, and the $13.99 is the member price in U.S. dollars. The U.S. dollar is not equal to other country's dollars, so if you are in Canada or another country that uses your own dollars it wouldn't be the exact same price. And we don't pay tax, either.

Edited on 11/11/2010 at 9:05:23 AM PST

penrose47
Stingray
Stingray
4,597 Posts

[Post New]by penrose47 on Nov 11, 10 9:08 AM
THANKS for the reviews....

I LOVE SHERLOCK...Games, Books & Movies

BUY 4 ME!!

Happy Gaming

PEN