euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Antiques Roadshow

[Post New]by euphoria on Nov 12, 10 9:44 AM
Good points and bad ones in this game. Intriguing storyline; I really would like to solve the mystery of the antique shop owner's family treasures. I didn't find the mini-games at all difficult or frustrating and most were rather enjoyable. Had the HOG scenes been better, I would have bought this in a heartbeat. Alas, dark junkpiles (which became worse as you went along...that bayou scene was awful!) and objects hidden behind others so that you could only see a tiny corner, or hidden in a dark area in which it was impossible to discern that anything was even there. I had to use lots of hints to get through the HOG scenes (let's not even mention that $#! ladder!), which really dampened my enjoyment of the entire game.

So...this one is going on my "wait for the $2.99 special" list; only because I really would like to see how the storyline plays out. I really wanted this to be awesome, too; 'cause I love the show.

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 9:46:23 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Nov 12, 10 9:49 AM
If you enjoyed some of the Agatha Christie games ("Peril At End House, e.g.), then you might like this one--some obvious hidden objects, but some devious (and almost impossible to find) ones as well. In particular, finding the ladder in the farmhouse living room scene is ridiculously frustrating (even with rechargeable hints). The honky-tonk piano music is OK for starters but gets monotonous very quickly. While the graphics are nicely done, some of the items are so small or so camouflaged that you'll be pixel-hunting, even with a hint. I really enjoyed NAMCO's game "Journalist Journey--Eye Of Odin"--that was a nice work of art. "Antiques Roadshow" is just plain "work." Two stars for the inclusion of the PBS program.

Edited on 11/13/2010 at 1:00:48 AM PST

bbelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by bbelle on Nov 12, 10 10:14 AM
What else can I say. I like this game. I am vwey much in the minority (maybe the only one) but I like to take my time to play a game so this one is right up my alley.

[Post New]by shawna505 on Nov 12, 10 10:20 AM
[removed by moderator] This game isnt that bad but you follow the heard mentality and let a few people dictate what you think. You wont even try a game because someone else didnt like it? Obviously some people didnt try it very long...one mentioned the music being honky tonk...its only like that on the first level, other levels have different music...[removed by moderator].This game is not that hard at all.

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 1:17:34 PM PST

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Nov 12, 10 11:50 AM
I would have probably loved this game, however, after using hint after hint and stirring up dust I never could get the ladder. This is the first scene, so I wonder how many more poor execution of finding objects there are. I buy a game for fun, not for frustration. Also some of the objects are so small they are difficult to find.
This is a no buy for me. I don't understand why they ask members to Beta Test games and then don't fix the problems. Reading other comments, a beta tester never did find the ladder, so why didn't the programmers fix it?

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 12, 10 11:50 AM
shawna505 wrote:[removed by moderator] This game isnt that bad but you follow the heard mentality and let a few people dictate what you think. You wont even try a game because someone else didnt like it? Obviously some people didnt try it very long...one mentioned the music being honky tonk...its only like that on the first level, other levels have different music...[removed by moderator].This game is not that hard at all.

Wow!!!! First dip in the pond [removed by moderator]
Thank you for that

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 1:18:14 PM PST

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Nov 12, 10 12:41 PM
As a long time fan of the show, both British and American versions I was quite excited when I saw this game. However I have found it to be a serious let down. To me, common sense says the people who are attracted to this game are probably going to be the same ones who watch the show, namely mostly middle aged and older, in other words those with dimming sight.Therefore, why a game with so many ridicuously small objects and dark backgrounds? There is a unlimited hint system but who wants to play a game continually waiting for the hint to renew? I also found the one mini game a little confusing although I eventually figured it out. As eye strain is not something I enjoy this is a no buy,even at DD prices for me.

margojg
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by margojg on Nov 12, 10 1:03 PM
I just finished the 60 minute trial and am going to buy the game. I enjoyed it. Once I figured out the way to play the code part, it was easy. I did find some of the objects difficult to find, but that is the challenge of the game - otherwise it would become repetitive and lack any challenge. The information in the Road Show part is interesting and as a fan of Antiques Roadshow, am enjoying "taking things to the show". Overall, not a bad HOG in my books.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 12, 10 1:40 PM
shawna505 wrote:[removed by moderator] This game isnt that bad but you follow the heard mentality and let a few people dictate what you think. You wont even try a game because someone else didnt like it? Obviously some people didnt try it very long...one mentioned the music being honky tonk...its only like that on the first level, other levels have different music...[removed by moderator].This game is not that hard at all.

Shawna505!.....One post and you talk like that! I guess you know by now that all of the inflammatory parts of your post have been deleted by the moderator. Where did you come from before here....... Craigs list? Those 2 ladies who I thanked in my post for their excellent reviews have been doing so for a long time and I'm vary familiar with their tastes and have read their reviews and then tried the games numerous times......and they are always "spot on" for me.
Do you consider "This game isn't that bad" a review? I think I'll stick with my aforementioned reviewers who can wax eloquently instead of "it ain't bad"
Thanks ,
Dr.good
p.s. Heard mentality is spelled herd. but hey! Who cares have a good day

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 1:48:18 PM PST

Jadakiss2000
Minnow
Minnow
209 Posts

[Post New]by Jadakiss2000 on Nov 12, 10 2:10 PM
I beta'd this one also and put it on my maybe I'll buy list. I did find some of the items a challenge to find. I did get caught up in the story and would like to know how it turns out. So, I'll probably go ahead and get it while it's still fresh in my mind. I haven't played any other Antiques Roadshow games so don't really have anything to compare it to.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 12, 10 2:37 PM
Downloading the game now. I had no choice as already purchased Mystery Trackers The Void when it was a collector so wanted something to play so this will be it. Will be back later to tell you what I think of it..

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 12, 10 3:06 PM
doctorgood wrote:

Shawna505!.....One post and you talk like that! I guess you know by now that all of the inflammatory parts of your post have been deleted by the moderator. Where did you come from before here....... Craigs list? Those 2 ladies who I thanked in my post for their excellent reviews have been doing so for a long time and I'm vary familiar with their tastes and have read their reviews and then tried the games numerous times......and they are always "spot on" for me.
Do you consider "This game isn't that bad" a review? I think I'll stick with my aforementioned reviewers who can wax eloquently instead of "it ain't bad"
Thanks ,
Dr.good
p.s. Heard mentality is spelled herd. but hey! Who cares have a good day

Dr.....good way to make a first impression.....

Thaletta
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by Thaletta on Nov 12, 10 3:42 PM
I was looking forward to this game and I think the mini games are great, but I hate having to hold a magnifying glass while playing a game on my big screen monitor. Played only 30 minutes and got a headache from sqinting, so it is a no go from me.

Coco157
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Coco157 on Nov 12, 10 3:57 PM
I agree w/those who found this game to be way more trouble than it's worth...and it's not worth the asking price to me for sure. And I'm overall frustrated with BFG these days b/c of the loads of inferior games they seem to be dumping on us here at holiday time...whaddup, BF? At least 'unlock some of the better games from their CE status...I won't buy any more CE games since Drawn: Dark Flight was such a dissappointment...I cannot tell any difference in the 2 versions...I am very willing to buy and appreciate the $4.99 sales, but PLEASE give us some good stuff or unlock the good games from CE or BOTH!!!

4mybirds4
Salmon
Salmon
2,663 Posts

[Post New]by 4mybirds4 on Nov 12, 10 4:24 PM
This could have been a great game, but I found a lot of the objects nearly impossible to find. (Just a tiny piece of the object showing, gee). Having to use hints continuously means a definite "no buy" for me.....

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 10 5:24 PM
re my comments about teeny or shadowy objects to find, both early Agatha Christies were mentioned. Fair comparison, both those were favs of mine and replayed often. Well, replayed over and over at first because they were timed, limited hints and you kinda memorize where some are if playing same levels over and over like slowpoke me. Blind man's Bluff LOL. Death on the Nile was my first "interactive" HOG back in 2007, I was so intrigued and charmed getting to move 6 roses to a vase. WOW how innovative and fun. And remember that rock cliff scene in Peril at End House? There went my precious hints, and even had to go back there later in game. Still, I loved those games.

But you know what? There weren't many other HOGs around then so I could spend days on one of them trying to finish, putting up with the frustrations. 5 years ago Huntsville were big enough to find but until I bought a new flat panel monitor there were some black on black, white on whites I NEVER saw on the old clunker monitor. Memorized there was an anchor in far left bottom corner LOL. Again, timed and limited hints you had to ration.

Here we are 3 years later with decent OS, graphics cards, bigger better monitors, even Options for settings. Now most new games are so much fun and user friendly it is hard to go back to the cave awash with frustrations for me. I was between enjoying new Mys Void, and not yet finished Phantom of Opera when I stopped to check out TGT and DD. Had just demoed MysAge Dark Priests, jumped on that Buy. So, putting this game and my comments into context of my game time in one day, year 2010, perhaps we all get subjective in reviews. There is no comparison in games I would have bought then with so few choices, so few with good quality features and what is available now. Yeh we get spoiled, even on overload what to buy next sometimes, but I'd think that devs would be keeping up with the times too with features that can make or break a success. And, the demographics of this mature audience. I'll be starting my second card now, 12 games in a month again, this won't be on any punch. I'm just not entertained by being reminded of my fading eyes and memory. There's too many great games by devs who do their homework and research. Researching antiques is fun for me, but they just failed to research games and gamers in circa 2010.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 12, 10 6:01 PM
This game is a bit challenging. As has been said, there are a number of tiny objects which are partially hidden behind other items. I had little trouble with finding the ladder. I have played so many HOGs that i easily found the partially hidden and nearly unrecognizable ladder. After that I could not find the music box or a way out of the house. Eventually, after wasting much demo time, I got out of the house only to find a locked door and no key. I am stuck now and there seems to be no walkthrough. Will try some more but i think my time may run out.

The graphics are good but the game play is lacking. I love Antiques Road Show enough to keep trying this Demo. if i can progress, i may buy it because of the ARS and not because this is a great game. It is an OK game if you can move on.

slruser
Salmon
Salmon
2,654 Posts

[Post New]by slruser on Nov 12, 10 6:24 PM
As a fan of the "Antiques Roadshow" television program, I was anxious to try this game. As has been mentioned, it may not be the most sophisticated HOG, but I did find it enjoyable, as will most fans of the program, I think.

The combination of tiny objects and dark scenes presents quite an optical challenge in some cases. The up-side is the objects are appropriate to the story, with no random umbrellas or starfish thrown in.

At first I found the dust cloud caused by random clicking to be cute and unique. But after wiping the screen a few times, I just found it irritating, as I do most 'click penalties'. It was nice to have the option of 'timed' or 'untimed' mode, and I enjoyed the mini-games the first time through, but they could become monotonous.

There was a lot of repetition in the game, although this is partly due to following the typical antique appraisal process. Some may find it boring after awhile, but I was intrigued by each new clue, puzzle piece and treasure hunt I was sent on.

The developers stayed true to the show with the graphics, music and appraisal process. Overall, I'm glad I bought the game and believe real fans of the "Antiques Roadshow" will enjoy it regardless of it's faults. My hope is that it may introduce some antique lovers to the joy of casual games. And that is a good thing!

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 6:25:00 PM PST

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Nov 12, 10 6:51 PM
I was looking forward to this game, as I'm a fan of the show, but I didn't find it that great. My favorite part was finally collecting an antique and finding out the information about it at the "roadshow" sections of the game.

Pros: A somewhat interesting storyline. It's different from the "find your grandpa!" and the "oops, you've accidentally awoken an ancient curse!" games. This music didn't bother me. Most of the graphics are really nice.

Cons: The interesting storyline becomes uninteresting because there's little plot development. The music is both a pro and a con. On the one hand it didn't bother me, but on the other, it didn't really add anything to the game. Some of the graphics are too shadowy, and while most everything is cleverly hidden, some objects are just plain hard to find because only a little piece of them is sticking out behind a whole bunch of other stuff. The puzzles are WAY too easy. Like others have said, there's a lot of repetition. You go back to the same locations quite frequently.

This game isn't bad by any means. It's very slow-paced and "casual," and would be nice to play during a break between all of the adventure-based games.

Edited to add: I was glad to see that it's a little more interactive (although not much) than just a straight HOG.

Edited on 11/12/2010 at 6:52:06 PM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 12, 10 8:24 PM
Oh dear, after writing practically an essay on tiny dark objects and scolding the devs, I just happened to read back an earlier post I may have missed. That being about the decoder puzzle that I could not work. Babs710 mentioned that it "FROZE" for her. Could that be why I couldn't work it? After first turn to match a letter and number I could not make it move to dial the next guess. I thought it was just me not understanding how to manipulate it. Who knows? My time is up unless I try again on my other laptop.

I'm on new W7 64 bit. Haven't had any picture freeze up so far, but I did once on older Vista graphics card on a new Samantha game. There was a fix/patch within days as others had that same glitch happen, it was a round puzzle too. So, if it was my system then my mini rant is moot. Others who got by that one were able to continue the game and like it.

There is a walkthrough for AR if you care to google it, the game has been around for awhile with comments on another site, same ladder rants, but even reading the Gz WT re that dial puzzle I couldn't make it work. Now I don't feel so stupid if it was the thing froze.And mine had no Skip button. Did yours?

Sowwy.

Go to: