sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Millionaire Manor: The Hidden Object Show

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 15, 10 3:28 AM
OK, I actually played the whole demo.

The sad thing is that it wouldn't have taken a whole lot to make this game a "buy" for me. It is an improvement over the first game in the series, the "host" is less irritating for one thing. But I just can't stand time management games or games that make you rush - I play games to relax, not get wound up and frantic.

The STDs, apart from being too frequent, had what I consider too many "cheap tricks." For example, there was a group of disks or something on the floor, and they were greyish green in one scene, greyish grey in the other. Barely a difference, and if you forgot to dust your monitor you wouldn't have a chance of seeing it.

The bonus rounds drove me nuts - popping up two or three times per scene. They were pretty easy - I only had one where I didn't get a chip, and most of the time I got 2 or even 3. But it is extremely annoying to me to just spot what I was looking for and have that bonus round pop up.

Most of the graphics were quite good, but the haze on many of them was annoying and pointless.

Some of the games were quite fun. I especially liked one where you sort of played hangman - you had to find letters in the scene, and as you found them it filled in the letters in the clue list so you knew what hidden objects you were looking for. That was quite interesting, and you didn't need to find all the letters to complete the scene.

If you also enjoy TM games, you might really enjoy this one. The graphics are bright (not gloomy or dark) and the objects are not teeny tiny. I managed to free 2 people and was half way through freeing the third, and I think there were 6 people to free. If that is accurate, the game is a bit on the short side, about 2-1/2 hours or so at my pace. You could be faster or slower, of course.

Oh well, you know my philosophy - give it a try yourself, the download is free (unless you have a limited bandwidth account) and you might be pleasantly surprised. I'll personally pass on this one (to save up for MCF7)

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Nov 15, 10 3:28 AM
I have to say this game gave me a headache. I usually love HOG's but this one seemed even more irritating than the first two in the series. The constant bonus game interuptions, the smoky/fuzzy screen, the awful voice on the MC, and more made me want to turn it off after about 15 minutes. But I stuck out the hour hoping to like it because I still have coupons burning holes in my pockets. No luck though, I wasn't convinced.

For those who love it - enjoy!

[Post New]by heatherington on Nov 15, 10 3:30 AM
I never liked any of these Hidden Object Shows and I didn't think this one would be any better. But I am downloading to see. Thanks for the reviews Granny, Goofy, Dr. Good and Cherbtoo.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 15, 10 3:34 AM
elldee2728 wrote:. If you enjoyed "The Hidden Object Show I & II," then you'll like this one even more.

I'm glad you enjoyed the game, elldee2728. That's why BFG has a new game every day - there is something for everyone! Happy gaming!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 15, 10 3:47 AM
This wasn't anything like a TM for me, I never play them. There is a Relaxed option and the only thing timed is if you choose to take the pop in Bonus Rounds. The more I played those the easier the pieces were to see, I think 5 in 10 seconds but optional as if you don't click the sparkles go away, only a short time when you see them to click there or you miss your chance.

I guess it is by chance how may FTDs you have to play, mine were mostly hogs and find 10s, anxious to see other types of puzzles. I didn't even realize I could use a chip to block a game type. A lot going on here, but it felt relaxed to me. Just on the silly side using a game show for a "thriller" type theme, not an evil castle.

Dr Good - is it the quotes around your 2 letters that passed censor? Thing is, we can say we are hoggers, with the g, but don't want to pronounce your version with the er as a gamer LOL.
Oops did that get past?

Meant to agree with who said how polished up this version is by Gogi. The first 2 were just so cheap looking, at least they upgraded the theme and salvaged something. This felt like a totally different game, not a sequel.

Edited on 11/15/2010 at 3:49:20 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 15, 10 3:52 AM
doctorgood wrote:
sinshack wrote:CasualGran, I was just in the process of replying to your question, and when I was deleting part of the message I noticed you answered your own question.

OK, we're all getting a back-to-Junior-High thrill at being about to type STD but not the shorter version of HOG.......

You can do the shorter version. You just have to do it like this
"H0"
Dr.good.

It's just a matter of time before the word filter blocks that too.

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 15, 10 3:55 AM
elldee2728 wrote:.I posted some brief comments in another thread and promised to do a "User" review when that forum went up--well here it is. GOGII has given us some really quality games in the past ("Robin's Quest...," for example), and this one ranks right up there. If you enjoyed "The Hidden Object Show I & II," then you'll like this one even more. Got a quirky Emcee, good game options, terrific graphics (although some of the hidden objects will test your observation skills), and (I think) loads and loads of different scenes to play around in. Pretty sure the Hint system is a rechargeable one (unlike the first two), and you'll probably need it from time to time. There are built-in "Bonus Rounds" which magically pop up from time-to-time where you can add to your winnings (WAY fun!). Little bit darker theme (excel at the games to "save" other contestants), but still a good time!

So far, this is just available on the GOGII website--download went smooth, installation went smooth, opening menu is good. I'm a big fan of this series--you should be too!

P.S. Update--now out on BFG.

Learning it's from GOGII has me very interested, I can't think of a single bad game I've bought with their name on it. Thanks for mentioning that!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Nov 15, 10 3:59 AM
puzzledone wrote:

Dr Good - is it the quotes around your 2 letters that passed censor? Thing is, we can say we are hoggers, with the g, but don't want to pronounce your version with the er as a gamer LOL.
Oops did that get past?

He used a zero instead of the letter O.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 15, 10 4:06 AM
snapnhiss wrote:
puzzledone wrote:

Oops did that get past?

He used a zero instead of the letter O.

To paraphrase a line from one of my favorite movies "look at the big brain on snapnhiss"! I don't know whether it will get filtered out or not, I've been using it for about a week now! I was really trying to save it for Christmas eve but I have absolutely no will power.
Dr.good
p.s. Puzzledone, I can understand your concern about calling yourself a .......well......you know

Edited on 11/15/2010 at 4:11:41 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 15, 10 4:17 AM
Didn't the opening scene with the phone message and the drive in the car to the Monor give anyone a clue this is a takeoff of so many "serious" dark adventures we've been getting? Reminded me of Vampireville which I nearly missed since I don't do vampires or Draculas. The opening of that one with the wolf and full moon...well, a take off and one of the funniest games I ever played. Not that this will be that good, but Mishap Accidental Haunting was another, take off on "scarey ghost stories" with zany characters too. So this spooky opening to a show that doesn't exist anymore led me right on to what's going on here?? Didn't expect to see poor gramps this time locked in a cage because he lost the game. Too funny, but looks like at least 3 of us "elders" are having some fun with it.

Right out of the Pythons..."And now for something different"...? I'm still grinning, I don't believe I can like this game, maybe I've just ODed and lost it. Didn't anyone else laugh at the opening of the Void when that huge crowbar in your face was the first thing you see before entering? I did, and said outloud okay, where's the KEY and that came next LOL. I knew that game was going to be fun, writer has a good sense of humor. I HATE having to look for crowbars and keys. Guess I just have a weird sense of humor too

lydiajmack
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by lydiajmack on Nov 15, 10 4:18 AM
doctorgood wrote:I can't improve on casualgrans review after playing a 1/2 hr. It does have some STD's which I know a lot of people detest so be warned! It also repeats the scenes quite a bit but with different games. It's strange and different enough I think I'll buy it.( besides, I do so hope she's able to rescue her helpless grandfather and I must find out if it's to be! )
Dr.good

As a Navy nurse, I know what STD means in the clinical sense. What do you mean for it in this discussion?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 15, 10 4:30 AM
Spot the differences? first one I played was called 5 Spots.
See the differences
Seek
Search?
I just use FTD for Find but makes me think of sending flowers services or marks on bottom of thrift shop vases.

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Nov 15, 10 4:36 AM
This appears to be a repeat more or less of the Hidden Object Show once offered as a 2 in 1 package which I bought and played off and on but having become bored with the repetetion quit. I "might" buy this someday as a DD but for now Thanks for the reviews everyone.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 15, 10 4:59 AM
lydiajmack wrote:
doctorgood wrote:I can't improve on casualgrans review after playing a 1/2 hr. It does have some STD's which I know a lot of people detest so be warned! It also repeats the scenes quite a bit but with different games. It's strange and different enough I think I'll buy it.( besides, I do so hope she's able to rescue her helpless grandfather and I must find out if it's to be! )
Dr.good

As a Navy nurse, I know what STD means in the clinical sense. What do you mean for it in this discussion?

SPOT THE DIFFERENCE.
Has anyone mentioned yet that if you don't like your spin you can do it over by clicking "back"? If someone has already pointed this out please excuse my redundancy as I usually skim read and might have missed it in a post.
Dr.good

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 15, 10 5:19 AM
I have played the previous hidden object games last year and liked both very much. But I prefer now hogs with more interactive parts. So, this game isn`t for me. But I think its a great game for "straight-hogs-lovers". Happy gaming

goldendog08
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by goldendog08 on Nov 15, 10 6:38 AM
If this game is even remotely close to the first two in length then you'll be hard pressed to find a game that gives you more play time for your buck. I remember my wife and I played as a team for days and days on the first ones. And, yes, that means there scene repetitions but the list of objects was always changing and there was the goal of seeing how far up the list of available goofy prizes you could go.

Terri218
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,211 Posts

[Post New]by Terri218 on Nov 15, 10 6:46 AM
CasualGran wrote:

STD's??? You've got me puzzled here...

Oh wait... Spot The Differences!

That's not the first thing I think of when I hear STD - LOL.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Nov 15, 10 6:47 AM
Thank you puzzledone for some of the best
laughs I've had in days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Nov 15, 10 6:56 AM
goofyduck77 - congrats on the new puppy!

popookaka
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by popookaka on Nov 15, 10 6:58 AM
this game pretty much covers all my least favorite things like sillouettes, spot the difference and that bonus round thing, arg... and probably others that I could not stick around for. this is a NO buy for me.I have some game credits burning a hole in my pocket so I'll just keep watching for a really good game!! Happy gaming........

Go to: