Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Veronica Rivers: Portals to the Unknown ™

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Jul 13, 11 2:06 PM
This is an older game, but much better than a straight HOG because you're doing a variety of different puzzles and styles of searching for objects instead of just from a list of words (although that's still the most common one). You get lists of silhouettes, and also special "lenses" that you use to spot objects or symbols that are invisible until you move the lens over them. You also get snapshots of the scene that you have to duplicate.

Mixed in with all of this are spot the differences, untangling strings, sliding runes into place and other typical puzzles of the genre. They're all fairly easy, but still quite fun and satisfying to do. I even liked the one where you have to copy symbols into your PDA which felt a bit like a crude test of MS Paint skills.

You get a one-sentence or so comment after clicking on each hidden object (man, that seems like it would have been a lot of work to come up with) and a lot of them explain why you're grabbing it, but there are also some "what the hell is this doing here?" comments and funny stuff.

BTW, I think the game just looks up the currently logged in Windows user name to populate that initial "What is your name?" dialog, which is freely available information to any application running on your computer. Don't panic--you're not being spied on!

I enjoyed all of the little messages left behind and the story progression, even though the ending was a cliffhanger (getting used to that with the HOG genre). I have the sequel, so I guess I'll find out if it gets resolved.

Overall, this was a pretty enjoyable game that kept me wanting to keep playing!

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on Jul 20, 11 12:56 PM
not as much fun as part 2 but i liked this game...the winters scenes were fun....however...there was no skipping to be had to go to the next level which makes the game somewhat annoying and definitely LONG!
nevertheless, good graphics...too much dialogue..i stopped reading early on so i am sure it was somewhat interesting...

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 16, 11 12:47 PM
i seem to differ with most posts, i don't find the graphics very great. they're just ok for me, somewhat blurry. i like the different portals, the puzzles are pretty easy, altho some of the hogs are tricky. hint system is another issue, very fast both in highlighting the object and recharging. as far as the drawing of shapes, i used the auto button and it worked on at least the first set. haven't seen any more. not liking the shape shifters that much, old eyes, maybe? i really dislike the evidence gathering. definitely old carpel tunnel at work for me. i need to find a game to use up a bonus credit...will have to think about this one a little more.
desert dweller

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 26, 11 3:17 PM
Not the best game I ever played. Very short game play, graphics just ok & story line kind of boring.

Bellsprout
Salmon
Salmon
2,692 Posts

[Post New]by Bellsprout on Nov 27, 11 10:03 AM
NOT a buy. Graphics were amateurish, to my eye; perhaps this was intentional, but if so it didn't come off well. H0 scenes were blurry and the little text was not as cute as it thought it was. I understand that this is an older game. How much older?

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Dec 31, 11 2:46 PM
I played this game when it first came out and bought it, it was my first one on the Veronica Rivers series, I like it and now have all three, the game is fun and the moving around on times is interesting.

[Post New]by pierrotlunaire0 on Jan 2, 12 12:43 PM
The same set up in level after level made this game feel a lot longer than it really was. Ultimately I found it quite boring, and glad I paid only a deeply discounted price for it.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 24, 12 4:51 PM
This is a game I never even played the demo for so I don't have a clue how it got my name. Not familiar at all to me. Seems others have had wierd experiences with this. I can assure you I would never have downloaded this game or even made it through the dumb demo. What a useless game...where the hell did it come from? I hope I didn't pay for this. Good grief.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Apr 9, 12 2:38 PM
So-so game. Basically a HOg with some very easy minigames. The H0 scenes are as dumb as ever: why, when I'm going into the arctic, would I take the wall clock and the stapler and not the skis or snowshoes? Only for those who really dig HOgs.

Go to: