cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 18, 10 3:02 AM
Well I am undecided about buying this as a CE because there are a lot of dark HOG scenes with some small objects and the parts of the game inbetween doesn't require any brain work as you are told what to do so it is an easy game so far . In my hour I got into the house and also accessed the right hand side after getting rid of the caretaker and . I should have got further than this but I stopped to make and fill my hotwater bottle (for my back) during the demo time .

I was worried at the beginning because there were 2 scenes where I was greeted with a completely black screen before they loaded but after that things were OK.

I did get the award for finding all the objects without using a hint but that is because I used DH instead to find the last object in a couple of the scenes . Talking of DH he made me turn the music off as it was interfering with his TV viewing but I had kept it on until then, albeit quietly.

At the present moment my thoughts are "if I am going to strain my eyes I am not going to strain my wallet as well" so, for the first time ever, I am waiting for the SE to come out ... unless someone tells me that the bonus gameplay is worth the additional cost.

Cherb

PS ... talking of cost I have spent a few this week ... nudge, nudge, , ... so keep your eyes peeled in CCC .

ETA

CCC = Chit-Chat Corner

ETAA

I forgot to thank the developers for giving us an Oak Leaf to find instead of a Maple Leaf ... I appreciated that as it made a nice change.

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 2:24:34 PM PST


 
shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 18, 10 3:24 AM
I will probably get yelled at for asking this question in the comments/reviews thread. So be it.... has anyone noticed who the developer is for this game? I am debating whether to download the demo or not.

Wolfenraindancer: I am liking Marooned 2 so far... You finished it and didn't like it? Did you like Marooned 1? Just curious...

shadowfax

 
peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 18, 10 3:29 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I will probably get yelled at for asking this question in the comments/reviews thread. So be it.... has anyone noticed who the developer is for this game? I am debating whether to download the demo or not.

Wolfenraindancer: I am liking Marooned 2 so far... You finished it and didn't like it? Did you like Marooned 1? Just curious...

shadowfax


Dev: Elefun games. I liked Marooned 1, remembered it while I am demoing 2.

ETA. Sorry, forgot to YELL at you. ROFL

Edited on 11/18/2010 at 3:41:17 AM PST


 
peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 18, 10 3:39 AM
cherbtoo wrote:Well I am undecided about buying this as a CE because there are a lot of dark HOG scenes with some small objects and the parts of the game inbetween doesn't require any brain work as you are told what to do so it is an easy game so far . In my hour I got into the house and also accessed the right hand side after getting rid of the caretaker and . I should have got further than this but I stopped to make and fill my hotwater bottle (for my back) during the demo time .



CCC = Chit-Chat Corner

I wish I had noticed before I bought that it was a sample version, I have been playing for 2 hours and not got to the main house yet. Sheesh!!!!!!!! I must be slower than I thought.
Thank you for the CCC explanation



 
doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 18, 10 3:43 AM
adrienne1 wrote:Hi guys.

Pleeeeease can we sign a petition to be able to use two credits for a CE. There are so many of them nowadays and I, like loads of others just can't afford many of them (state pensioner). I really don't see what difference it will make to BFG.

I'm right there with you!!! I heard a rumor about it happening in the future. I have a great idea, how about it happening in the present! I'm sick and tired of embarrassing myself by buying CES when I have 3 credits and 50 or so unfinished games!! Okay,I admit it. I'm a shopaholic hoarder!! I'm so ashamed. ....Now, since I got paid yesterday, I'm off to download the trial..........and probably succumb to my affliction.
Dr.good
p.s. would anyone care to sublet half a tent to me.

 
peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Editio

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 18, 10 3:47 AM
doctorgood wrote:
adrienne1 wrote:Hi guys.

Pleeeeease can we sign a petition to be able to use two credits for a CE. There are so many of them nowadays and I, like loads of others just can't afford many of them (state pensioner). I really don't see what difference it will make to BFG.

I'm right there with you!!! I heard a rumor about it happening in the future. I have a great idea, how about it happening in the present! I'm sick and tired of embarrassing myself by buying CES when I have 3 credits and 50 or so unfinished games!! Okay,I admit it. I'm a shopaholic hoarder!! I'm so ashamed. ....Now, since I got paid yesterday, I'm off to download the trial..........and probably succumb to my affliction.
Dr.good
p.s. would anyone care to sublet half a tent to me.


I think it may be a marquee so I could rent you a corner, will that do?
ETA. Everyone bring a laptop with them. I think I have a new business. Only a few pence/cents per space.

Edited on 11/18/2010 at 3:52:44 AM PST


 
mismo55
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mismo55 on Nov 18, 10 3:47 AM
Love the game and would like to play it, but I can't afford it, so I suppose I'll have to wait for the normal version to come out, very frustrating.

 
doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Editi

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 18, 10 4:02 AM
peglegann wrote:
doctorgood wrote:
adrienne1 wrote:Hi guys.

Pleeeeease can we sign a petition to be able to use two credits for a CE. There are so many of them nowadays and I, like loads of others just can't afford many of them (state pensioner). I really don't see what difference it will make to BFG.

I'm right there with you!!! I heard a rumor about it happening in the future. I have a great idea, how about it happening in the present! I'm sick and tired of embarrassing myself by buying CES when I have 3 credits and 50 or so unfinished games!! Okay,I admit it. I'm a shopaholic hoarder!! I'm so ashamed. ....Now, since I got paid yesterday, I'm off to download the trial..........and probably succumb to my affliction.
Dr.good
p.s. would anyone care to sublet half a tent to me.


I think it may be a marquee so I could rent you a corner, will that do?
ETA. Everyone bring a laptop with them. I think I have a new business. Only a few pence/cents per space.

You People in the U.K. with your hoity toity words! I had to go look-up "marquee". Dumb me! I thought it was a lighted sign over the entrance to a movie theatre.
Dr.good
p.s yes,that would be just peachy!

 
dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by dcairns on Nov 18, 10 4:05 AM
I enjoyed the demo version although I found the hidden object (can't use the short form - lol) scenes to be a bit difficult and ended up using a few hints which is rare for me.

I don't know whether to purchase CE or wait. I have credits and free coupons to use and really don't want to spend more money before using them up. The sad thing is that there isn't any games I want to use them on.

It sure seems like any half decent HOG that comes out lately is a CE first. I am curious about the length of the game. Anyone have any idea how long it is?

Edited on 11/18/2010 at 4:06:52 AM PST


 
Robilyn
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,962 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Robilyn on Nov 18, 10 4:11 AM
dcairns, It is only 271.91MB for the full version. I don't think it is that long of a game. Most of the CE games, are larger file games.

 
VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Nov 18, 10 4:12 AM
I am tired of unoriginal game releases. I think we are stuck in a rut of haunted houses with ravens and ghosts UGH! I am not even a Halloween fan, so these dark spooky mysteries are tiresome. I would suggest that the developers find decent writers with original ideas, who can devise clever and interesting plots that are in the tropics, in snowy Alaska, on a coastal beach, anywhere but Edgar Allen Poe settings! I certainly would not want my children or grandchildren playing one dark game after another. Beach Boy music or Jimmy Buffet on the beach - that sounds like a fun change! I also do not see the point of hint buttons that take so long to recharge, especially during a demo. When items are in dark corners or are almost the exact color as the background, a quick recharge would prevent frustration and a total waste of time searching. The only original idea I saw here was the windup mouse enticing the cat...

 
togood2be
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by togood2be on Nov 18, 10 4:18 AM
I think I will be waiting this one out too. I like it but don't love it. Same old, same old it seems anymore. I am quite sick of desktop backgrounds as "extra content" I don't want special music or pictures, I want more game.
Don't actually like the walkthrough add on either (that's cheating) lol

 
doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 18, 10 4:19 AM
VolleymomDee wrote:I am tired of unoriginal game releases. I think we are stuck in a rut of haunted houses with ravens and ghosts UGH! I am not even a Halloween fan, so these dark spooky mysteries are tiresome. I would suggest that the developers find decent writers with original ideas, who can devise clever and interesting plots that are in the tropics, in snowy Alaska, on a coastal beach, anywhere but Edgar Allen Poe settings! I certainly would not want my children or grandchildren playing one dark game after another. Beach Boy music or Jimmy Buffet on the beach - that sounds like a fun change! I also do not see the point of hint buttons that take so long to recharge, especially during a demo. When items are in dark corners or are almost the exact color as the background, a quick recharge would prevent frustration and a total waste of time searching. The only original idea I saw here was the windup mouse enticing the cat...

I agree with you 100%!!! Can't remember the last time I saw an original thought in a game. If you can come up with different scenarios right off the top of your head why can't developers!!!
Dr.good

 

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by oldclematis_lady on Nov 18, 10 4:24 AM
I haven't played the demo yet, but there was a wind-up mouse distracting a cat in the Laura Jones/ Nicolai Tesla game. You had to put the parts together to make it.

If I get that far in the demo I'll have to see if this mouse is similar.

Edited on 11/18/2010 at 4:24:51 AM PST


 
cmh47
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cmh47 on Nov 18, 10 4:48 AM
adrienne1 wrote:Hi guys.

Pleeeeease can we sign a petition to be able to use two credits for a CE. There are so many of them nowadays and I, like loads of others just can't afford many of them (state pensioner). I really don't see what difference it will make to BFG.


I certainly agree with you. I am also on a state pension and although I love this type of game have to think really hard before buying. Because there is a time limit on when you can use the credits I some times land up using them on medioca games. If there was the chance of using towards buying this type of game life would be a lot easier for many gamers. Here's hoping that the powers that be change their minds and allow us game addicts to start using credits towards CE's.

 
rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by rlk0045 on Nov 18, 10 5:05 AM
This CE game does not work in the wide screen mode on my computer. I removed the game from my computer immediately.

 

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Januarybaby on Nov 18, 10 5:10 AM
I have been with BF for years and I usually never post but I do read the forums to get an idea of the game before I buy. I am on a limited income so 90% of the CE I do not own and I have to wait until the SE comes out which I end up poking around to find something to play. My daughter has some disabilities so I am home 24/7 looking for something to do.
I wish they would release the CE and the SE together and we can have a choice of which one we want. I agree with everyone who wants to use 2 punches to get a CE too.

I love any type of Hidden Object, IHOG etc. and when I am done playing ( mommy always gets to play it first plus I get to screen which ones they will play. ) then my 2 daughters get to play ( they love the Avenue Flo games). I love the spooky games but sometimes I wish for a light, funny game like Yard Sale HIdden Treasures: Lucky Junction and Sunnyville. Wish we could get more games like those. They were so fun and my daughters and I can play them together.

When the SE comes out I will download this and put it in a folder on my desk called trials and decide later from what everyone is saying. That way I will have something to try when I am poking around for something to play.

Edited on 11/18/2010 at 5:13:24 AM PST


 
doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 18, 10 5:13 AM
CasualGran wrote:A CE? This grainy looking windowed 'a dime a dozen' IHOG? Uh uh, not happening to me. Okay, it has the advantage of an inbound strategy guide but... do you really need it? The handholding leads you step by step through the story, as far as I've seen it, sparkles, hints, you name it. No fun at all, maybe for beginning casual players, but certainly not for experienced fishies (my opinion of course ).
And then the story: it seems to me much developers look at MCF Return To Ravenhearst for their ideas. Boringgg Not to speak of the grammatical errors like (something) 'eyes' instead of 'looks'.
No, I won't buy this game for a CE prize. I'lld feel robbed. Maybe, one day, if nothing better pops up or I'm in need of a punchcard filler, I'll buy this one for the regular 6,99 or 2,99 (even better).

Back to more urgent business.

Ya' nailed it again Casualgran!! I especially don't like the fact that it's normal screen instead of wide screen. If that little magnet game from yesterday can play in wide screen this should also!! Please, no one advise me on how to adjust my resolution to get a wide screen. I don't have to do it on other games so that means it's technologically possible to build a game with wide screen optional.......which is what this developer should have done if they wanted to sell this game to me! (besides, I'm the one spendin' the money here. I'm the customer! You cater to me if you want my business!)
All of your other points apply also ma'am. Looks like a cookie cutter game.
When it's the $2.99 DD I'll think about it.
Dr.good
p.s. didn't play long enough to give a review so consider this just a comment.

 
Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Nov 18, 10 5:28 AM
I got stuck at the beginning of the second chapter because the hidden object game that was supposed to let me collect a magnet did not have a holster in it. It should have had a holster. But if I used one hint to find the damned holster, I used twelve. It always went to the same area. I always clicked on that area. And then down. And across. And sideways. I covered that entire area, inch by inch. The holster never showed up.

Because I could not click on the nonexistent holster, I could not collect the magnet. Because I could not collect the magnet, I could not get the lockpick that would let me in the house. And since there was no skip button for the hidden object game, I could not evade the flaw in the game and keep playing. It was all rather frustrating.

If not for this, I'd have considered it a fairly typical haunted house HOG, where you're a reporter/detective/possible member of the accursed family, the house is all boarded up and broken down, you have to repair the electricity, fix broken locks, etc., etc., etc. It's not a bad concept...but I'm starting to feel "meh" about the same old formula.

 
peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Manor Collector's Edition

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 18, 10 5:28 AM
Back to more urgent business.

Ya' nailed it again Casualgran!! I especially don't like the fact that it's normal screen instead of wide screen. If that little magnet game from yesterday can play in wide screen this should also!! Please, no one advise me on how to adjust my resolution to get a wide screen. I don't have to do it on other games so that means it's technologically possible to build a game with wide screen optional.......which is what this developer should have done if they wanted to sell this game to me! (besides, I'm the one spendin' the money here. I'm the customer! You cater to me if you want my business!)
All of your other points apply also ma'am. Looks like a cookie cutter game.
When it's the $2.99 DD I'll think about it.
Dr.good
p.s. didn't play long enough to give a review so consider this just a comment.


Dr. Good, You can change the resolution on your puter by zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz oops did I fall asleep? .
Well I hope I helped you out

 
 
 
 
Go to: