peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Fiction Fixers: The Curse of OZ

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 21, 10 8:09 AM
Thanks for the PM Cherb. Having been wearing my fins out looking for this forum.

I had to DL the first one to remind myself of the game. I can only comment at the moment as I have spent a lot of the day looking for the reviews. LOL! Only played a little of the game and sort of feel like it is children's weekend. NO offence. I love a lot of them. I am now going back to finish the demo. Have a lovely Sunday all.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 21, 10 8:12 AM
Sorry cherbtoo, I posted in the other thread. I thought it was yours. I don't know how to move a post and I type with one finger so I won't be reiterating my long winded diatribe here also. Basically not my game.
Drgood.
edited much later, okay, I was able to cut and paste with Anns help so I moved it here.Who said you couldn't teach an old DOC new tricks! I know, I know it's a groaner!
Dr.good.

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 4:20:33 PM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 21, 10 8:16 AM
doctorgood wrote:Sorry cherbtoo, I posted in the other thread. I thought it was yours. I don't know how to move a post and I type with one finger so I won't be reiterating my long winded diatribe here also. Basically not my game.
Drgood.

Try highlighting your post, copy and paste here Always a helping hand my friend.

bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Nov 21, 10 9:32 AM
Thanks for starting this thread up Fishies!

The game Forum for Fiction Fixers: The Curse of OZ is now up, so I've gone ahead and moved this thread over there so that it will be easier for everyone to find to add in comments or read reviews. I'm also going to go ahead and sticky this thread.

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Also, some additional reviews can be found in the fiction fixers the curse of oz? thread.

Happy gaming!

-bfgDonau

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Nov 21, 10 9:54 AM
I really appreciate all your comments because I did something very stupid today, I started the demo... doorbell rang... I went and answered it and it was the delivery of my new TV and I completely forgot I had the demo on and missed the whole thing. I was just going to follow the yellow brick road.

Based on your comments and my missing the demo, I'll probably pass on it, but also based on your comments I may buy the first Fiction Fixers which I missed because I thought it was a kids game.

I really like this game forum better than the one I was on before because you guys speak honestly and tell it like it is, and not what you think the moderators want to hear.

Thanks. I think I'll come here often.

Lime_Cordial
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Lime_Cordial on Nov 21, 10 10:04 AM
Too short. No wonder the sample is just that (as opposed to an hour long sample). I finished this game is about 2 hours. Too dark too (for these aging eyes).

bella81762 wrote:well sadly, i am done allready, while the graphics are beautiful and tho hog scenes are nice, the puzzles are seriously lacking any challenge and the game was done in less then a3 hours..with demo time its about 2 hour 45 minutes.....it does not measure up at all to the 1st one. you basically play the story...nothing out of place or wrong that you have to fix like the 1st one....no where near the amount of different areas to visit...a lot of going back to old areas to do hog scenes. i would wait for 6.99..or even better dd

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 10:06:03 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 21, 10 10:14 AM
I don't know... maybe I take my time more or something but the game took me just over 3 hours to play and I had a great time. I just love this series (okay, only two so far) of games - pure, unadulterated enjoyment! Great graphics, the voiceovers here are really fitting and enjoyable, fun story, the mini games are easy but I didn't mind because I could get back to the business of defeating the evil Vile in short order. A really fun game!!

ETA: I never thought to factor in stops for coffee, letting dogs in & out, etc. so probably actually only took about 2:45 to play or so - that still is a decent length for a game... just sayin'...

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 10:18:19 AM PST

silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Nov 21, 10 10:32 AM
MarpleLover wrote:Pretty gungho gamers here. Have to stand out in the cold with no official forum. Well done.

Btw - saw some people complaining about the new Game Manager not working correctly with game downloads? Anyone experience any problems lately?

YUPPER - completely lost my manager - can't find it anywhere!!!!!

Also - I got all the way to Oz with 15 minutes to spare - way too easy - a no buy for me

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Nov 21, 10 10:39 AM
silverfiesta wrote:I got all the way to Oz with 15 minutes to spare - way too easy - a no buy for me

Ditto. And I took my time playing. It is a nice game for the family and I can see the attraction to it. But, in my opinion, it doesn't live up to the first one which is a fav' game of mine. Maybe I'd get Oz as a DD just to finish the game but otherwise not a purchase for me.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Nov 21, 10 10:44 AM
A really lovely game. I liked the first Fiction Fixer game. It seemed a bit harder than this one though. I did find this game to be relatively easy-but I'm not complaining. Graphic were crisp and clean. Even in the darker hidden object scenes I had little difficulty finding things. I'm guessing that the hint took about a minute to recharge. Hopefully, Goofyduck will be able to be more precise. The voice overs were well done and in keeping with the characters. (I'm basing this on what I can recall of the movie which I haven't seen in some time.) I had almost finished the bell puzzle at the entrance to the Emarald City when my demo ended. I did not skip any of the puzzles. Based on looking at the walkthrough I'm guessing it would be a relatively short game for me, but that won't necessarily stop me from buying the game. I'll just be putting it off a bit.

karen876
Catfish
Catfish
1,524 Posts

[Post New]by karen876 on Nov 21, 10 11:02 AM
I'm really enjoying this game. I'm playing in the hard mode and am taking my time because a game of this (kw)uality deserves it (sorry, my 'cue' button doesn't work ).
I've had no problems at all with the game and compared to a few others just recently that is a bonus.
It is a lot easier than the first Fiction Fixers but I do enjoy playing a game that doesn't cause my brain to explode occasionally. So I'm just having fun. I hope others do too and are not put off by the comments that the game is too short.

tropdechats
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by tropdechats on Nov 21, 10 11:05 AM
Just finished the demo and I am disappointed. It's not that this is a bad game; it's just that, when compared with the first game in the series, it seems "dumbed down." The game play is plodding, methodical, simple and moves along very quickly: if you need something, you get it, you use it, area complete. **** scenes are easy -- I did not once have to use a hint and I am an average player. The same **** scenes are used several times and I began to memorize the location of all the objects. The play lacks the complexity and wit of Alice in Wonderland. All moves are telegraphed and little thought is required. This is a relaxing game for a Sunday afternoon rather than the challenging and interesting puzzle that its predecessor was. I am on the fence about buying it: as I said, not bad, just not as good. I wish the developers had taken more time and not rushed this out to take advantage of the success of Alice. To buy the game is to encourage this kind of hastily constructed, second-rate game. We know what a good job these developers can do. Why didn't they do it this time?

Decision made: I'll wait for the DD.

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 11:08:57 AM PST

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Nov 21, 10 11:21 AM
krissywillow wrote:Looked at screen shots and watched movie clip, then came to read reviews. Doesn't sound like something I will buy.

1. I hated the voiceovers I heard on the clip so if that's an indication of the game, I'll hate it. Does anyone know if they can be turned off? I'm tending to doubt it by the looks of it.

2. Reviews say game is easy.

3. Reviews say game is short.

4. Reviews say you find the same objects over and over.

The graphics look nice but sort of "twisted" and not in a good way, sort of out of proportion or something but maybe that's just the few screenshots.

Something I might look at out of curiousity but won't buy.

You can turn off the voices from "Options"

jlbaughn1
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by jlbaughn1 on Nov 21, 10 11:27 AM
Well, like the rest of the reviews, this game is way too short. I was on Chapter Three of the demo in just over 35 minutes. Could have been a great game....if it lasted four plus hours. Sorry, will wait for another game to purchase.

KCErin
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by KCErin on Nov 21, 10 11:43 AM
Thanks to all for their reviews. I bought the game, because I was having IHOG withdrawals.

I played the hard version and it took me 3:51 according to the timer at the end. I'd mark myself as average to above if anyone wants to make a comparison.
Pros:
- I loved the WOO when I was a kidlet and read all the books by Baum and others. This follows the book rather than the movie (which I love also).
- Game fills my entire screen; no black columns along the side.
- HOGs were large and well hidden. I did not have to use the hint.
- Random clicks did not seem to hurt althoug Vile did give an evil laugh once in awhile.
Cons
- Not as good as Wonderland, but still fun.
- HOGs were dark; probably to fit the mood.
- Had to skip one puzzle; I could not find the last piece of one map puzzle and I looked everywhere.

All-in-all - made for a pleasant, relaxing few hours.

Micha1234
Clownfish
Clownfish
910 Posts

[Post New]by Micha1234 on Nov 21, 10 11:46 AM
The graphics were crisp and clean though some scenes were rather dark.I did not care one bit for the voice overs. So the volume was turned down. The HOG scenes were not difficult for me - had my blind bat moments though.
I own the first Fiction Fixers and thought, too, that this one is a lot easier than the first one. I made it in 45 minutes all the way through to chapter 6, at which point the demo actually stops and says thanks for playing...you want more...BUY. So I'm wondering like a lot of you how long this game is in total. I have noticed however that looking at the walk through the last three chapters seem to be a bit bigger than the first 5. At least that's my impression. And if, like some one pointed out, the HOG scenes don't change, there goes the replay value for me.
So all together not a bad game, has tons of potential and could have been way better. I think I'll wait with this one for a DD or a sale.

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 11:46:35 AM PST

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Nov 21, 10 12:07 PM
I think of games as mini, midi, and maxi. Minis are games that are boring, slow, or have other issues that turn me off. Midis are games that are fun to play and have decent graphics and puzzles. Maxis are challenging and innovative in some way. This game is a midi. The only thing I would suggest is that since the graphics are dark, it plays better with the ambient light as dim as possible. Turn off any lights that are close to your screen so that you can find the HOs.

themaestro023
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

Pretty short game, really

[Post New]by themaestro023 on Nov 21, 10 12:16 PM
I know the demo was 60 mins, but after playing for about 3 mins, I bought the game cos there has been so much rubbish on here recently, I just wanted something new to play and enjoy.

This is a very simple game to play, most of the items you collect in the first parts are used immediately, so not much collecting there! And, later on, you just have to back-track one screen and you have nearly everything needed to complete your task/s.

The size of the game (MBs) usually determines whether I play the demo or even buy the game and I can see they spent a bit of time on the cut-scenes in this, hence the size of the full game, but was bored by the time I got to Emerald City.So same o, same o.

Still want to complete it (having paid for it), but now, not that bothered.

For a Sunday release (next day game for members, the UK = Monday), Its not bad. Maybe its to keep us prepared for the new release of.....you know what?!!

Word_Dudely
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by Word_Dudely on Nov 21, 10 1:07 PM
karen876 wrote:I'm really enjoying this game. I'm playing in the hard mode and am taking my time because a game of this (kw)uality deserves it (sorry, my 'cue' button doesn't work ).
I've had no problems at all with the game and compared to a few others just recently that is a bonus.
It is a lot easier than the first Fiction Fixers but I do enjoy playing a game that doesn't cause my brain to explode occasionally. So I'm just having fun. I hope others do too and are not put off by the comments that the game is too short.

Hi Karen876,

You can make q's with other keyboard buttons if need be (although you're workaround is very clever). If you need to put in a Capital Q, hold down the alt key and press the number sequence 0081 on your numpad, then release the alt key. The same trick works with the lowercase q using the number sequence 0113. Happy gaming.

Q alt+0081
q alt+0113

CiCiRR
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by CiCiRR on Nov 21, 10 1:13 PM
I don't think I'll buy this game - well maybe at $2.99.

The game is enjoyable, but not challenging enough. The graphics are pretty decent and the storyline somewhat predictable, and it certainly doesn't offer much that is new. Hidden objects/fragments are easy to find, and repetitive - keys, shovels, butterflies, balls, wood etc. (With all the objects in the world, why can't someone come up with something different?)

There are relatively few places to explore, so you need to revisit some locations more than once. As the game progresses, the objects become easier to find since each location becomes quite familiar.

With maybe one or two exceptions, the mini games are run-of-the-mill: rotating puzzles, sliders, turning on all lights. I was 3/4 of the way through (judging from the map) when the demo expired so I suspect that it's a fairly short game.

And don't bother asking Dorothy anything - the only thing she knows is that they're on their way to Oz.

Go to: