gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re:The Dracula Files - DD 11/21/2010 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Nov 21, 10 9:51 PM
snapnhiss wrote:I've already posted that I don't understand why a separate DD thread is needed when there's already a perfectly good original review thread (and didn't I get jumped on for that comment!) but if you're going to go ahead and start a DD review thread anyway, it'd be nice if the creator actually had a review to start the thread with.

I think actually you must love this thread - why else would you keep coming back, and even bother to post in it to boot! lol

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Nov 21, 10 10:45 PM
I always check the DD threads, even if it's no longer a DD. For all the reasons listed. If enough think it isn't worth the DD price, I don't bother with the older threads. After reading this thread, I know this game isn't for me, my eyesight isn't that good. So thank you!

karolyneb
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,459 Posts

[Post New]by karolyneb on Nov 21, 10 10:58 PM
While it has been a really long time since I've had a chance to post any DD reviews, I still make time to check the DD-specific review thread for the same reasons that so many others have stated and feel strongly that it does serve a different purpose than the general C&R thread from back when the game was released.

To summarize (but I think only the game update point applies here):
System specs change. Games that worked fine years ago may have issues on some modern systems (and sometimes there are ways to get around them as in Fiber Twig).

Expectations change and games that were cutting edge revolutionary on release are dreadfully dull now. I remember playing the original Bejeweled for hours on end. Now, I barely last 10 minutes before I start getting bored.

Game updates change the general playing experience and make the previous reviews irrelevant.

Lower prices make some marginal (too short, too easy, badly localized) games worth buying.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to actually play the game to write a real review of it but reading the comments reminded me that this was on my list to buy. Many folks have written the same comments that I would mention so I won't repeat them. Two points though - I'm not sure I would characterize the graphics as 'bad' - they are in a cartoony style that not everyone may like (and that's fine). Also, I found the story to be both interesting and quite different from the usual vampire HOG storyline.

Edited for clarification

Edited on 11/21/2010 at 11:08:02 PM PST

Go to: