Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by samiam11475 on Nov 24, 10 1:30 AM
Woohoo!! This is becoming a Thanksgiving tradition. Instant purchase since I am never disappointed with MCF games.

sylvia99
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sylvia99 on Nov 24, 10 1:31 AM
The full version is exactly the problem, the demo also worked fine without any problem. I have XP SP3.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Nov 24, 10 1:36 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:
shadowfax44 wrote:Did anyone get the full version game (NOT the demo) to install? If you did, what was your secret??

Yes, I did. The secret: Windows 7, home edition, 32 bits. In the middle of the download got a message that the game won't work with present configuration, and was offered to reinstall the recommended features (usually it hints about Support Pack 2 of Windows XP, as SP3 doesn't work with some games). After accepting, the install went fine, without any problems (the demo), and now it downloads the full version.

Thank you Rebeca Lily!!

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 24, 10 1:37 AM
govegril wrote:Nobody is getting a complete installation yet.

bfgImbrium posted they are working on it, so best wait for her to tell us it is now fixed.

The Mac side get's the full version to demo for an hour. My download went quite quickly. This game is clearly different -- I'm impressed so far. Now off to get 4 hours of sleep.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Nov 24, 10 1:39 AM
Stunning game! And if you are click-freak - it's a game for you...errr...me!

Awesome graphics, very fast hint recharge, and objects viewable even if small.

I am still not satisfied with the verbal hint (I have to search "x"), instead of showing "hot spots", but as I bought the CE, I will use the Guide...

The real actors remind me of big adventure games, in which Holywood stars participated. Very fancy...

Thanks developers, thanks BFG!

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 24, 10 1:50 AM
shorenuf wrote:
govegril wrote:Nobody is getting a complete installation yet.

bfgImbrium posted they are working on it, so best wait for her to tell us it is now fixed.

The Mac side get's the full version to demo for an hour. My download went quite quickly. This game is clearly different -- I'm impressed so far. Now off to get 4
hours of sleep.

good news mac users are underway!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 24, 10 2:06 AM
I've been waiting so long for this game and now I know that people will raise hue and cry against me ! I didn't like it ! I wasn't a bit drawn into the story, disliked interacting with real people. Music was good to start with but quickly got irritating. Very good graphics, hint refills quickly. Never dreamt that my charwoman would ask me to pick up her cleaning ustensils. Didn't sort out the clock business, even with the cleaned windows. Pirate puzzle wasn't too easy but doable. But I just can't get into the story, having to speak with sobbing or straightforward south people. Just finished Phantom of the Opera and this was a good game. No buy for me, I'm so disappointed. May be I'll buy the SE if there's nothing better, but I'm not that sure.

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Nov 24, 10 2:10 AM

Mmmmm got really excited when I saw tomorrows game, so decided to coe and have a look at what your all saying, because im ready to just buy it.

1st though bit dissappointed on whats bnteing said real people to interact with not sure on that one, as I was all that keen on Dire Grove when everyone else raved about it.

As im only going to get about 40mins try out time, will give it ago when I get home tonight, I really want to like this game and say sod it just buy.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Nov 24, 10 2:15 AM
Poutoule wrote:I've been waiting so long for this game and now I know that people will raise hue and cry against me ! I didn't like it ! I wasn't a bit drawn into the story, disliked interacting with real people. Music was good to start with but quickly got irritating. Very good graphics, hint refills quickly. Never dreamt that my charwoman would ask me to pick up her cleaning ustensils. Didn't sort out the clock business, even with the cleaned windows. Pirate puzzle wasn't too easy but doable. But I just can't get into the story, having to speak with sobbing or straightforward south people. Just finished Phantom of the Opera and this was a good game. No buy for me, I'm so disappointed. May be I'll buy the SE if there's nothing better, but I'm not that sure.

I'm gonna have to agree. Something I just don't like. I guess it's the real people, and the story is dry...and other things which I cannot pinpoint yet. I think the "escapism" is gone. Graphics remind me of the RPG's I play.
It's also very monotone and gray. I'm tired of those. I still say Madam Fate was the best.

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 2:19:33 AM PST

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Nov 24, 10 2:20 AM
Downloaded the demo & played for 30 mins, probably didn't get very far because I am a slow player, but what I saw was great. Loved the screen shots and the setting and for me the wandering around to examine and collect things is now a MUST!

Even the demo did take longer to download than usual (almost 10 mins so not too bad) but I don't know how much this was down to the game or the fact that so many people were trying to download at the same time. I have downloaded much larger files in less time but they've not had the same degree of movie clips as this.

When downloading I was not advised to use "recomended settings" which could mean that the game is already windows7 64bit compatable or that I missed it. However it does seem to be working fine so far and doesfill my screen.

Will update for anything new when I finish the demo later today; I have other more pressing (though less enjoyable) tasks to do first!

So far it looks like another really great game and will be going on the list!

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Nov 24, 10 2:28 AM
I'm not sure about this one...

Loved the atmosphere and the HOG scenes, liked the interaction with real people and all that, but... there's something not quite right. I hate getting lost and wandering around as much as the next person, but felt there was just a little too much hand-holding. For example, being told by Mary Lee to clean the windows was good, and led to finding the shapes behind the dirt, but then being told to go to the clock and use the clues... well.... I'd already worked that out, and I am worried that if the rest of the game is like this it may be a little less challenging than DG and RTR. I like a bit of a clue, obviously, but being told what to use for which puzzle just takes away the fun. I don't want a walkthrough as part of the game, rather a strategy guide that I can pick and choose from (which I assume the full version has).

I may buy, I don't know... I would be interested in hearing later on from people who have played further, if it does become more challenging and a bit more autonomous rather than being given so much (unnecessary imo) guidance. It's not payday until Friday anyway, so I can mull it over at my leisure

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 24, 10 2:30 AM
loved the demo couldn't believe it finished so quickly I was so involved, hurry up BF and fix the download problems, I like others bought it and am so frustrated I cant play the whole thing

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Nov 24, 10 2:45 AM
Poutoule wrote:I've been waiting so long for this game and now I know that people will raise hue and cry against me ! I didn't like it ! I wasn't a bit drawn into the story, disliked interacting with real people. Music was good to start with but quickly got irritating. Very good graphics, hint refills quickly. Never dreamt that my charwoman would ask me to pick up her cleaning ustensils. Didn't sort out the clock business, even with the cleaned windows. Pirate puzzle wasn't too easy but doable. But I just can't get into the story, having to speak with sobbing or straightforward south people. Just finished Phantom of the Opera and this was a good game. No buy for me, I'm so disappointed. May be I'll buy the SE if there's nothing better, but I'm not that sure.

Sorry you didn't like the game; it must have been doubly disappointing after all the hype leading up to it. However, there's no need for any "hue & cry against you", you are entitled to your opinion and preferences differ. There are a good many games I don't like at all, over which other players have raved; it's just a matter of taste so enjoy the ones you do like.

Goofyduck, thanks for yet another comprehensive review. I agree about the remote in the fridge although I must admit I was more concerned about the caterpiller and the cockroach!

tinyzac
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by tinyzac on Nov 24, 10 3:05 AM
would love to play 13th skull downloaded fine but will not open tried other games but its only 13th skull it just will not open tried 15 minutes giving up now luck everyone am waiting to see how good it is

suziedog
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by suziedog on Nov 24, 10 3:07 AM
have to say i agree with others. Massive fan of this series but don't like interacting with real ppl, hints recharge so quickly and they even tell u where to go and what to look for. Played demo won't b buying collectors edition. May try again wen normal comes on and get with game credit. I think there are so many great games of this type around now so they have to be really good. I think this is mcf worst game yet. Sorry guys.

steelerlady1
Minnow
Minnow
213 Posts

[Post New]by steelerlady1 on Nov 24, 10 3:28 AM
oh no!please tell me i didnt buy this game sight unseen with all the not so great reviews!! i was all ready to sing a happy yippee, yahoo,yeehaw etc. now im kinda scared!! ill have to get back to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 24, 10 3:30 AM
I was so disappointed that I looked at all my MCF games, apart from Huntsville and this one I love them all (especially Dire Grove, Madame Fate and RTR), so is there something wrong with me that makes me dislike this one ? You are all so enthusiastic that I would love to join in......... Finished the demo, but it's still a big no as previously said.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 24, 10 3:44 AM
To be perfectly honest when I played the beta I felt a little bit disappointed as this game didn't grab me by the throat and make me want to continue playing without stopping unlike others in the series. Now don't get me wrong I like this game and I think it is a good game but for me that je ne sais quoi isn't there ... yet ... but I am hoping it will come as I play more of the game. This demo version does give you a quick flash through of some of the other characters and puzzles that are waiting for you in the full version and that has helped dispell some of that feeling and make me keener to see what happened to Marcus.

The graphics are very good and I haven't had any problems finding any of the hidden objects, sorry forgot to use a hint to check loading time but I did try fast clicking to see what they had come up with this time and the answer is that leaves fill your screen for a few seconds so that you can't see so take note all you "clicky pants" out there and keep a pair of garden shears handy while you are playing .

Apologies to the state of Louisiana and composer but the music is not to my personal taste and I found it irritating after a while and muted it.

As my computer is an old Pentium IV I did experience a slight bit of sluggishness when moving my mouse slowly across the screen but this was only in the hidden objects scenes and wasn't enough to spoil the gameplay as when you are zeroing in on an object you move the cursor a bit faster and push it rather than pull it.

cont ...

[Post New]by julieinontario on Nov 24, 10 3:45 AM
Poutoule wrote:I was so disappointed that I looked at all my MCF games, apart from Huntsville and this one I love them all (especially Dire Grove, Madame Fate and RTR), so is there something wrong with me that makes me dislike this one ? You are all so enthusiastic that I would love to join in......... Finished the demo, but it's still a big no as previously said.

After trying the demo I have to agree with you. I was so excited about this game and couldn't wait for today to get here to be yet again lost in another MCF game. I was already let down that it wasn't going to be a RTR follow up but still thought...well it's MCF so it HAS to be good right?!?!

It's a definite no buy for me, perhaps at a DD but I'm not even interested to buy the SE.

If I wanted to watch a movie/actors, I would have bought or rented a movie. Sorry BFG no disrepect intended but you goofed on this one IMO!

brandy914
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

[Post New]by brandy914 on Nov 24, 10 3:50 AM
Installed in minutes with no problems. Did not demo, instant purchase. After seeing the video I am sure it will be fantastic. Will review later and can't wait to hear what my fellow speculation fishies think of it.

Edited on 11/24/2010 at 4:06:32 AM PST

Go to: