Re:Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 26, 10 5:57 AM
This game looks like it was visually designed by the same folks who did that recent Fiction Fixers "Oz" game. Bland, boring, flat. They should've named this game The Somber Adventures Of Brown And Gray. Nowhere near the quality of that earlier Salem Trials game that came out in July. That one was professionally done.

bluesinew
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by bluesinew on Nov 26, 10 6:03 AM
I usually play adventure games because they are more of challenge and can last for weeks (Secrets of DaVinci, etc). However I test out the trials of HOGS and IHOGS,etc always looking for the exception, and this one seems to have a lot going on. Based on the trial this seems like a great game (IHOG/ FROG). The game downloaded and installed without any problems... A buy for me.

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 26, 10 6:06 AM
I beta tested this one some weeks ago and hated it but today out of boredom downloaded the trial and loved it, I will probably buy it if anyone can help me get the freakin horse out of the road

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 26, 10 6:09 AM
doctorgood wrote:The cursor is "bullet proof"! Click away,no penalty, no float around thingee! Great cursor. The graphics are crisp and clear with great detail. It is muted some what as if it was shot through a silk screen like they use to photograph over the hill movie stars.(I don't know the name of that,hence the description.) Objects in the H0 scenes have great definition which I appreciate! I hate looking for sugar cubes that turn out to be 2 black dots on a dirty tablecloth! AAAAH. The game is non-linear! You can wander around all over the place. (I like that a lot). It has an excellent map system,the best I've seen. It shows your location and........the location of the next H0 scene! That saves a lot of wasted time and aggravation looking for the next area.Some of you may not like that much help.......don't use the map! If you right click your mouse in a scene it will show you all the directions you can move and any spots to interact with. I liked that also. Music? I dunno', it didn't get on my nerves so I guess it was alright. After 35 min. of game play I didn't encounter any puzzles...but it's rumored they exist! You collect objects and utilize them to complete tasks, open doors etc.Oh yeah,the hints are unlimited and recharge in 30 sec. which is a big plus for a shot out ol' dawg like myself with ADD. The game has a lot going for it IMO and hey! After 35 min. .........no grandpa that needs saved!!! Definite buy for me.
Dr.good

Is it sepia you were looking for? I am sure other fishies will correct me, if not.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 26, 10 6:12 AM
sepia is brown-coloured wash. It makes black and white (photos) into brown and white.
They used to put vaseline on camera lenses to soften the picture.

fishdawn
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by fishdawn on Nov 26, 10 6:37 AM
Now THIS is my kind of game! (unlike the new MCF game. IMHO)

In this game I can actually go where I want and do what I want without being told in a bunch of pop-ups. WOW...what a concept! I can actually think for myself!

I must get this game!

1010elisa
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by 1010elisa on Nov 26, 10 6:38 AM
I amnow going around in complete circles!!! does anyone know whre to use the spade or the scissers

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Nov 26, 10 6:39 AM
After "skull" I thought I was done with gaming for awhile, that was such a mess 2 days ago, but Hidden Mysteries are always good, so in I plunged.
positives:
Nice graphics, nice flow to the game. Not too much hand holding (although I've lost what needs what already), there is a starkness to it that fits the time..1600's? but it could have been humanized up a bit more, especially in the homes without junk piles.
The **** are not THAT hard, just tough when it comes to the eyes..after the last 2 days I have quite the eye tic from staring at Skull. Need to get away from all this.
The music is redundant..sounds like someone created a small score, which uses many instruments, but just loops it around and around. I hadn't gotten very far inthe game, so maye that imprives.
The minigames are there. I just figured out the first..a lock on an old chest at the farm..kinda a suduko kind of thing, but a wee harder.
But the items to be found...jeepers..an example-white key ona white cloth, grey socks on a grey floor, tiny easel in the corner, one needs a magnifying glass, seriously. Too bad that isn't an option.
negatives: the lack of logical color to items, some items just shrunk and thrown in there...not a lot of thought put into the HOG sections
My task list is getting to look like a honey do list...eepers.
so, to buy or not to buy...it would have been a resounding YES a week ago...now, I need to give this a break and think about it. At least it isn't a CE.
kris

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Nov 26, 10 6:44 AM
Am I just bleary from turkey yesterday? I've been playing for 24 minutes, and haven't accomplished much of anything. Collected a lot of items, and made a dandy scarecrow, but nothing else. I'm not sure I want to finish the demo. I'll keep reading the reviews.

Edit: Goodness me. I went back to play it again after several days and realized that I had missed one little thing. That one little thing made all the difference. I've just found the first girl, and I'm buying the game!

Edited on 12/05/2010 at 5:58:43 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

[Post New]by biomix on Nov 26, 10 6:48 AM
I don't comment very often anymore on games, but I wanted to say this one has me very intrigued. The frog component has me curious as to how to use the items collected (when I figure it out). I rarely, rarely, get into the story, but now I really want to find the girls.
I really like the graphics. Clear, open concept. The music is not at all annoying.
No hints that I can see of as to what or where to go next. So, no hand holding.
Object are well blended in. Not too easy to find, which is a challenge.
This is a buy for me early next month.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 26, 10 6:55 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:About the color - I think it is like - as an theory of course - vision if you will the color "dial" or "tab" on your television, where one end of the dial or maximum bar on the tab is full color and the other end of the dial or the minimum bar on the tab is total black and white, they've turned the dial or pushed the tab to dial it down or reduce the bars from maximum color towards black and white by - I think, like I mentioned, 20 or 25 percent or so. At least that is what it appears they've done -- for the sake of atmosphere probably. Not the best way to achieve that effect imho.

LOL!

I feel a bit tired of drab sepia coloured games at the moment and I am sorry to admit that I only "looked at" the game for 4 minutes. I know when I am not feeling so tired and having read these reviews I will demo in full and probaby buy.

janspack
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by janspack on Nov 26, 10 7:09 AM
Poutoule wrote:It's a buy for me. Love the graphics, they may be found too dark but I think it adds to the atmosphere, hidden object aren't too easy to find. Wasn't bothered by the sparkles which I found quite discreet, apart for the hidden object scenes. Was compting on the last MCF to finish my punch card but as it's a no buy for me, please, give us more games like this one ! Can't say a thing about the music as my stereo broke down....

I'm really enjoying this game too. There is a lot of to-ing and fro-ing so people who don't like that type of game will probably not like it but I do prefer the sort of game where you have to work things out for yourself. It's more like an adventure game but with **** scenes thrown in.

There a huge number of scenes to explore and lots of places to go to so I think it's going to be quite a long game. I've been playing for about 5 hours so far and think I still have quite a lot longer time to play. I'm not the quickest of gamers though.

I think this is a really great game and well worth buying.

[Post New]by heatherington on Nov 26, 10 7:21 AM
I beta tested this game and was so excited to see it was going to come out. I just loved it. I love going around and poking my nose into people's houses and snooping into stuff, it's so much fun!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Nov 26, 10 7:23 AM
peglegann wrote:
doctorgood wrote:The cursor is "bullet proof"! Click away,no penalty, no float around thingee! Great cursor. The graphics are crisp and clear with great detail. It is muted some what as if it was shot through a silk screen like they use to photograph over the hill movie stars.(I don't know the name of that,hence the description.)
Dr.good

Is it sepia you were looking for? I am sure other fishies will correct me, if not.

........................Sepia it is then!
Dr.good

boptab
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by boptab on Nov 26, 10 7:24 AM
OMG samisgram I have the same problem with my neck and back! First time I have posted this problem. I quess this is something BF can't fix? LOL. Anyway on my way to the chiropractor soon so I can play pain free for hours . Enjoy gaming!

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Nov 26, 10 7:30 AM
A definite buy for me. I liked the music and the overall look of the game. Objects were not difficult to find ( one of the few games that I did not have to depend on my wife's assistance to locate them ). I found the story interesting and the gameplay was not difficult. I only played about 30 mins so I guess my opinion could change but I doubt it will. This is only my opinion and as someone else has previously mentioned you should always try the free download as people like different types of games I had no problems downloading or playing this game ( no glitches ).

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Nov 26, 10 7:34 AM
Maybe this is "nitpicky" but I hate when objects in the scene are so blatantly out of their time period. Come on, this is Salem in the 1600's, what's with the modern objects in the hog scenes! They are jarring to me as I play the game. Ruins the atmosphere. I had to turn the music off, it was annoying. The map was not much help since the buildings aren't labeled as to what they are. I had to wander around to find the tailor shop. This game could have been much better, don't know if it's a buy for me. Since I finished the really good games already, I might. This one is 3 out of 5 for me.

[Post New]by glitterbutterfly on Nov 26, 10 7:35 AM
I bought this - I like it a lot. The hidden object scenes are challenging and I enjoy wandering around figuring out what to do. I'm stumped at the recipe puzzle just now because one of the icons is really badly-drawn and I can't figure out what it is. But I'll keep trying.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 26, 10 7:39 AM
Way to dark for me ....Not the story line just ( dark ) background ...really strains my eyes ,,,so it will be a pass for me ...But it's" good to be back" after having to replace my hard drive .. Sure have had a good variety of games to sample ...But this one happens to be a pass for me ...Cheers .

[Post New]by LisaMockingbird on Nov 26, 10 7:45 AM
Played 15 minutes and was totally turned off.

It's supposedly the 1600's and I see
Electric irons, baseballs, genie lamps, modern acustic guitars, machined metal screws, modern day printed cards and handcuffs giant matches. Hats no puritain ever wore...

They tossed in junk that had no place in the game - totally ruined it IMO

If I played another 5 minutes - what TV sets, eiffel towers, radios, and UFO's? wouldn't surprise me...

Edited on 11/26/2010 at 7:46:56 AM PST

Go to: