Chamuel82
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Mystery of the Dragon Prince

[Post New]by Chamuel82 on Nov 29, 10 4:17 AM
Poutoule I have to admit about the H.O scene , I think it's the first time that happened to me ! But I think the major flaw (for me anyway) is the no skip button ! I hate to be stuck ,not knowing to do ! It makes me panic !

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 29, 10 4:20 AM
Very interesting game, and it certainly doesn't hold your hand! The only thing stopping me from buying right now is - you guessed it - the lack of skip button. I haven't had a problem with the puzzles so far, but unless there is a walkthrough (Margie B, where are you?) to help me get past the puzzles, I will wait for a sale to buy this one.

Good graphics, interesting storyline, I don't see any evidence of a missing Grandpa, father, boyfirend, husband, or archeology professor, and I really want to know what happens next. This will go in my "buy it" folder, I'm just not sure when that will happen. Probably as soon as a walkthrough is posted, because it really does look like an interesting game.

I also appreciate the brighter graphics. Even though you are in a castle that's been empty for 200 years, there isn't the usual problem of dark scenes and deep shadows for most scenes. The outdoor scenes are nice and sunny (but I can't find the darned clippers, either) and uncluttered. In fact, there is a definite lack of junkpile scenes in the H0s I've seen so far. I have to stop myself from just clicking on everything and using the list, because there aren't too many extraneous objects, so most ARE on the list. I also like the fact that sometimes you have to move something within the H0 scene to find what you need.

Oh heck, now I'm talking myself into getting it anyway. I will wait. I WILL wait. I will WAIT. Yeah, sure.

ETA: I just saw pegleann's post that there is a walkthrough. Off to buy!

Edited on 11/29/2010 at 4:24:02 AM PST

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Nov 29, 10 4:30 AM
This is a totally delightful game Love the fact it is not so dark as to almost be totally shades of gray. I have not had any problems with the mini-games. As I play on a laptop, sometimes the HOs are a little small, but so far I have found all of them. I did have one problem and got totally stuck so went looking for a Walk Through ... found it right here on BF ..

Thanks BF for a delightful game.

Pat

[Post New]by maggieannie43 on Nov 29, 10 4:35 AM
This game is awful, very childish easy to find hidden object perhaps I am too old for it I played only 7 minutes that was enough. I had to down load another game manager to get it started. Hope tomorrow comes with a better game

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Nov 29, 10 4:38 AM
After reading the other comments and reviews, I decided to take a look at the walkthrough before making a decision as to whether or not to try it/buy it.

I won't even be trying it. There are several puzzles in it I hate, and without a skip button, there's no way I'd want this game, not even for an hour free trial.

Tabbystar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Tabbystar on Nov 29, 10 4:50 AM
After reading the reviews, I think this is the kind of game I will enjoy. I like a challenge and very rarely use a walkthrough (but I like to know one is available should I get desperate!) I have only skipped two puzzles since I started playing these types of games a few years ago so I don't think the skip button is a must. I know a lot of people don't like the fact that there is no skip button, and I can understand that, but really, a game should be a little bit challenging otherwise it becomes boring, and having no skip button ramps up the challenge a bit - especially when you come to a tricky puzzle. To me, if a mini-game is going to have a skip button, it might as well not be there in the first place. I often wish you could skip some of the HOG scenes though! I love the adventure/puzzle aspects (especially in games like Haunted Halls, the later MCF games and the most recent one I played which was Mystery Trackers). Those games were great but the constant HOG scenes got on my nerves after a while. I know they are called HOGS and perhaps I should focus more on adventure games, but I have tried about four and sooner rather than later I get fed up of walking around getting nowhere! I tried Ghost in the Sheet and after a good start, I got stuck not knowing what to do and the graphics tend to be grainy and I don't like the third person perspective. I even tried what what supposed to be a really good, spooky adventure game filled with puzzles, yet all I did was walk around (very slowly), have the same conversations with the same stilted characters and encounter virtually no puzzles! The voice acting was a joke too, which killed the atmosphere. The game was called The Lost Crown: A Ghost Hunting Adventure and even though it got mostly rave reviews, I thought it was dull, slow, ugly and not remotely scary!

The best game for me so far has been Nightmare Adventures: A Witch's Prison, because it plays just like a HOG adventure but has fantastic (albeit tricky) puzzles and no junk pile search areas and no shopping lists full of random, useless items to find. I always think that the hidden object scenes should end as soon as the key item is found! I mean, you find the hidden key or artefact or whatever you need to further your game progress, then have to continue to collect alarm clocks, pea pods, chickens, endless butterflies, compasses, numbers, buttons, scales, frogs, ties, tools you don't get to put in your inventory and a few times, a bong!(OK a hookah lol).

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Nov 29, 10 5:03 AM
I guess I am the minority, I really liked the game and used a credit to buy it, BUT had I known how short the game was I would not have. There was no mini game that I could not figure out and trust me I am not good at them it was just simply too short.

pixielily
Minnow
Minnow
291 Posts

[Post New]by pixielily on Nov 29, 10 5:07 AM
I have been reading the reviews after playing for 35mins and I am still on the fence about this game.

First, I have been playing a long time with hogs, Ihogs, adventure and this one has me stumped, lol.

The (what feels to me anyway) is the aimlessly wandering trying to find objects (the gardener shears).

The lack of a skip button is a big one to me. I hate some of the puzzles (even though I have had no problems so far) and I do not want to be stuck so I at least want the option to use a skip or not.

As far as I can see the skip only works in hog scenes which I find annoying.
I will look at the walkthrough, which I hate doing, to get a feel for this game then maybe a buy.

For now this is not a buy for me, but those that like/love it have fun.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 29, 10 5:40 AM
cll026497 wrote:I guess I am the minority, I really liked the game and used a credit to buy it, BUT had I known how short the game was I would not have. There was no mini game that I could not figure out and trust me I am not good at them it was just simply too short.

how short was it?

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 29, 10 5:43 AM
I've been playing about two hours now, and it looks like I will be done in about another hour based on how far along I am in the walkthrough. The game is a bit on the short side, but not as bad as some. There were a couple in October that some fishies finished in the trial period, and a couple more that barely lasted an hour after that, so this is shortish but not ridiculously short. Clear as mud?

I did run into a couple of odd gameplay problems, but they were solvable. When I was looking for one object in an H0 scene, the box for finding the glass pieces turned out to be right on top of it! I had to step out of that scene and go look for all the glass shards, because I couldn't move or close the box for the glass pieces. Annoying, but not insurmountable. I finally ran into a couple of H0 scenes that were dark, but I found that tilting my monitor screen helped tremendously - it doesn't help that it's a sunny day here, and I'm getting a bit of glare on the screen.

The hint takes forever and a day to recharge, which is probably a good thing because it gave me time to really look at the darker scenes, and I usually found the objects on my own after all. It gave me that little "ain't I great?" thrill.

Overall, I can see why some may not care too much for the game, but I am glad I made the purchase. It's a nice little game with a bit of humor and an interesting story. Unless you have to pay extra with your internet provider to download the free trial, give it a try and see for yourself. You may hate it, or you just might find that this quirky little game is just what you like.

Edited on 11/29/2010 at 5:45:49 AM PST

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Nov 29, 10 5:52 AM
For me, this is a short game. After playing 57 minutes of the demo and then checking the walkthrough... I'm almost done with the game. I might have another half hour or so of play but that's it. Not having a skip button for the games didn't bother me since the games were easy for me to do. So easy and short equates to a "no" purchase for me. At least not at full price. Maybe some day if the game is offered as the DD.

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Nov 29, 10 5:54 AM
Well, I am also on the fence about this game. The no-skip feature might be a problem for me but I did complete the ones I ran into. I had some problems finding objects as my eyesight is not what it used to be (not that it was ever that good!). It is interesting and like everyone else so far I want to know what the glass pieces are for. The hint recharging is a nightmare. Since I had problems seeing items, I fell asleep waiting for the hint button to recharge. I would also like to know how long the game is. I floundered around for a while so if the rest of the game is like the beginning it will probably take me forever to finish it. I look forward to more comments.

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Nov 29, 10 6:00 AM
bella81762 wrote:
cll026497 wrote:I guess I am the minority, I really liked the game and used a credit to buy it, BUT had I known how short the game was I would not have. There was no mini game that I could not figure out and trust me I am not good at them it was just simply too short.

how short was it?

It took me about 2 1/2 hours and I am slow

[Post New]by Coronagold on Nov 29, 10 6:02 AM
The game is pretty short. But then you all knew that when you saw the download size was 88MB.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Nov 29, 10 6:04 AM
Tabbystar: I love the adventure/puzzle aspects

I pm'd you.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Nov 29, 10 6:08 AM
I started playing at 2am PST and just finished and it is 6am PST so it took me 4 hours. Now I am not the fasted gamer in the world .. but speed is not why I play. I play for the fun of it ... and trust me, I totally enjoyed this game very much. One thing this game made me do is to finish all the mini puzzles. Several I would have skipped if there had been a skip available. I love pipes but hate sequentials. I will not give the ending away, but I thought it was interesting.

I would totally recommend The Mystery of the Dragon Prince as a fun, interesting game.

Thanks B F for making this game available.

Pat

Peta52
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Peta52 on Nov 29, 10 6:44 AM
It's not bad. Took me under three hours. You don't need a walkthrough there is nothing complicated and none of the mini games are hard. It was very difficult to see a lot of the objects - perhaps because I play on a laptop - but normally this is not a problem. I bought it using a credit and would have been unhappy if I had actually spent money on this. Worth noting - don't leave the glass thingy half way through if you do when you come back you have to start again.

Faylyn
Minnow
Minnow
259 Posts

[Post New]by Faylyn on Nov 29, 10 6:50 AM
No "skip" on puzzles equals "no buy" from me. The Hint button didn't work in any scene not just puzzles. Sorry, I'm going to pass on this one.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 29, 10 6:55 AM
patnsky wrote:I started playing at 2am PST and just finished and it is 6am PST so it took me 4 hours. Now I am not the fasted gamer in the world .. but speed is not why I play. I play for the fun of it ... and trust me, I totally enjoyed this game very much. One thing this game made me do is to finish all the mini puzzles. Several I would have skipped if there had been a skip available. I love pipes but hate sequentials. I will not give the ending away, but I thought it was interesting.

I would totally recommend The Mystery of the Dragon Prince as a fun, interesting game.

Thanks B F for making this game available.

Pat

Pat, that is how long it took me. I did not use the walkthrough and the last couple of puzzles did not make sense in a way, but everything fell into place. I did not use the walkthrough and HAD GREAT FUN Sinshack above, said the rest. I AM really glad that I bought this. Thank you too . Great change from the drab games we have had.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Nov 29, 10 7:07 AM
Awh come-on youze guys!
You don't give yourselves enough credit of how capable you are ... The countless mini-games you've attempted over the years, but then skipped just because that "button" was there. What about the mini's you've completed and wondered "how did I do that ?" Most likely you have "talents" you've yet to discover!
All the instances that you've pushed that mouse of yours, to hover-over that SKIP button, thinking to yourself "I'll never be able to figure this one out", then you clicked it without even an attempt at the game in front of you, then all too late realizing that "ah-ha" moment is gone forever ...never to know if you would have been successful.
NO SKIP BUTTON... Pish-Posh...You may surprise yourself!
Find your inner mini-game prowess!
...Now go out there and mini-game dominate!...
Ah well, just thought I'd be a little motivational today.

Go to: