Cake Mania: To the Max

Re:Cake Mania: To the Max

[Post New]by boogielu_23 on Dec 5, 10 8:51 PM
Was excited to see a new cake mania...bought it...wish i hadnt. Issue I'm having is the program is so slow I end up losing most of my customers...i.e. either the froster is too slow, needs repair or my girl is slow etc. what's up with the ovens? Before u could purchase more ovens now its like you upgrade one oven over and over before being able to buy another one. Maybe it's just me but I wish I had saved my money. *sighs

bookwriter
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by bookwriter on Dec 6, 10 5:01 AM
I like the CM series....I have purchased them all. I like the story lines and the game play. Yes, it may be slow at the beginning and it takes a long time to purchase upgrade items, but the series is still one of my favorites that I play.

staciepie27
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by staciepie27 on Dec 6, 10 6:52 AM
This is my first ever review, so I am winging it.

I have played every Cake mania game out there, and many many other time management games. I really like them. Diner Dash games especially. This one is just not as good as the others for the following reasons.

1) game play is very slow in the beginning levels, very very slow. If you are experienced at these types of games that will make you crazy.

2) takes forever to buy upgrades, money earned is not enough each level to add up to much, took more than 3 rounds to be able to buy another oven but by then I had to make double/triple cakes so not helpful at all

3. Upgrades cost too much for the amount of money earned per level

4) I like the idea of upgrading the shop environment, but don't see how one could earn enough money to do it( costs $1000 to do just the walls, need money for other upgrades so shop looks junky when you are playing

5) HATE the braking down of froster etc, braks down every 2nd round, costs too much to fix it, and then cannot buy other useful upgrades

6) music is annoying after awhile

7) having to move people around so they don't annoy each other and lose hearts is a real pain, especially since it takes so long to make and frost cakes that they lose hearts anyway. Lose alot of customers this way.

I will not be buying this one. Developers strike out this time. Cake mania 3 is the best one by far. Spend your money on that one if you don't already have it.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,017 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Dec 6, 10 6:52 AM
I got the game from the developer & played for hours yesterday. Played the same levels over and over different ways (that's how I play TM games) so haven't got very far at all yet. But I am really enjoying it . Here's how I got round some of the things that other fishie's have mentioned in this thread .........

How to make the cop give his order faster **SPOILER**
Giving a customer a cookie makes them order straight away and the cookie maker is one of the cheaper items at only $100. It is possible to make at least $140 on day 1.

If you found everything too slow and upgrades too expensive in the beginning **SPOILER**
Starting with cheaper items like display stand, cookie maker, then the legwarmers for Jill helps to make more money in the early levels. Cookies make customers give an order faster as well as increasing hearts.

When the froster breaks **SPOILER**
If you restart the level and upgrade that froster then replay, it will work faster than a broken basic froster, but costs the same to repair at the end of the level. Or you can buy a second froster to work alongside the broken one until you can get it fixed.

I read that someone was struggling with the shoplifter **SPOILER**
Being able to drag customers around will help with that. If you move her away before she starts to flash (or better still before you deliver a cake to a spot next to her) then you won't need to stand there waiting for the money to appear. You don't need an empty spot because if you drag a customer to an already occupied place the 2 will swap over

boogielu_23 wrote:Before u could purchase more ovens now its like you upgrade one oven over and over before being able to buy another one.
I really like how the new upgrades work. You CAN still purchase more ovens before upgrading the first one. If you click anywhere on the oven the usual upgrade window pops up. Now for the good bit...... in that window you can click on different areas of the oven to get the different options. Can either upgrade the oven you have (by clicking on that oven), buy another oven (by clicking on one of the other ovens, get top right one first, it is the cheapest) or add another cake shape (by clicking on the grey shapes of new cakes).

The cookie maker and decorative topper machines also have different upgrade choices.

Edited on 12/06/2010 at 12:27:30 PM PST

[Post New]by indigo_ladybug on Dec 6, 10 7:04 AM
well, I liked some of the other cake mania.

but this one. the breaking and repairing did it for me. took me forever to gather money to repair the first one, I repair it, cool! buy the shoes, it breaks AGaIN! made in ???? grr. this killed it for me.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,017 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Dec 6, 10 8:12 AM
IMO what makes this game so addictive is that you can make a real difference in how much money you make by playing around with your buying choices, the order in which you do things and whether you make cakes in advance to display etc.

braking down of froster etc, braks down every 2nd round, costs too much to fix it, and then cannot buy other useful upgrades
It didn't break down quite that often for me. Here's a tip for when it does break down ..... ** SPOILER in white**
if you play level 5 with only that broken froster then you will maybe make barely enough to cover the repair ($150) but, if you restart the level and buy a second froster to play that level and still use the broken one to frost extra cake(s) for display, you won't lose so much money on the level & it won't be as bad. I have also played a level fine then had it break down if I played the level over. When that happened, I reloaded my game save from the end of the previous level and replayed from that instead.

took more than 3 rounds to be able to buy another oven but by then I had to make double/triple cakes so not helpful at all
I didn't have to make double cakes until level 6 by which time I already had 2 frosters **SPOILER in white **(bought an extra one in level 5 to help with the damaged one). By not buying anything else at start of level 6 I was able to buy an oven the very next day so I played only one level of making double cakes with 2 frosters and only 1 oven and managed the supergoal first time through.

Not saying everyone should be able to, just that anyone who normally loves the CM series would be best trying it for themselves and having a good go at trying different ways to play a level.

A tip for this problem
Having to move people around so they don't annoy each other and lose hearts is a real pain, especially since it takes so long to make and frost cakes that they lose hearts anyway. Lose alot of customers this way.
You don't HAVE to move them around. **SPOILER in white ** Even the cheapest ($100) cookie maker makes batches quite quickly so you can top people's hearts up that way just before delivering the cake and only move really awkward customers like the shoplifter and, even then, only if necessary.

[Post New]by Pandora_Reve on Dec 8, 10 1:38 AM
I can't even get story mode to work! I try to go in to start a game and the storyboard pops up but the top inch of the screen is not the story, it's the loading screen. And it won't load into the actual game visually.

[Post New]by debinug on Dec 11, 10 3:14 PM
Can't get past level 90, I've tried every purchase combo to make it work but can't earn ovr $1411 has anyone got any ideas?

[Post New]by Tempe_G on Dec 11, 10 7:55 PM
Argh! I'm at the level where ALL the customers are the money-stealing shopaholic. Won't do any good to move them around... I can't get past this level!

[Post New]by amlekander on Dec 11, 10 9:27 PM
debinug wrote:Can't get past level 90, I've tried every purchase combo to make it work but can't earn ovr $1411 has anyone got any ideas?

Is that the level that you have to get at least $16,000 to pass? I have tried everything. I have upgraded everything they use and still I can't pass it. I think I might quite this one..........I'm getting so frustrated.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thanks!

[Post New]by ckambeitz on Dec 13, 10 5:09 AM
Lots of complaints about the expensive upgrades. People, there are 90+ levels to this game...lots of time for upgrades!
I have had no technical issues, aside from the brown boxed business man and I'm not sure that's a technical issue.

I don't understand why people who haven't enjoyed the past Cake Mania games feel they should try this one and then complain about it.

Here's the only problem I'm having...I'm on level 90 and CANNOT make it...not even close. I've tried every upgrade (have pretty much all already) and just can't do it. Have expert level on all levels (some after several tries) except one, and can't even make the first goal on level 90.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...I'm basically stuck and won't be able to finish the game.

Now, Cake Mania non-lovers, quit complaining and go away.

[Post New]by mysticfoxxx on Dec 13, 10 11:00 AM
Hey ckambeitz,

There are 2 new versions on the developers website that address the brown box around the business man and then a balancing issue in regards to the later levels. I couldn't pass level 90 either, and had gotten superstar on everything up to that point. It sounds like things will be corrected with the release of 1.0005, but I haven't seen an update from BFG on the release of it here.

The only thing I can recommend doing is changing the the relaved mode to get past lvl 90. I had to do that for lvl 93 too

[Post New]by gig214 on Dec 13, 10 5:07 PM
I have been playing level 80 now for 2 days and can't beat it any ideas!!

[Post New]by trixiebell0905 on Dec 15, 10 6:57 AM
debinug wrote:Can't get past level 90, I've tried every purchase combo to make it work but can't earn ovr $1411 has anyone got any ideas?

I'm having the same problem with day 90. I've tried purchasing different things and still can get more than $1400. It's really frustrating! Any help would be appreciated.

ojennifer
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by ojennifer on Dec 15, 10 7:03 AM
when is the fix coming? Been waiting for days now.

Brown box, and level 90. I have been replaying the game up to level 90, then have to stop.

[Post New]by sirakaulitz on Dec 16, 10 1:54 PM
Please help me with level 79 goal 1700, I have been stuck for a long time . If someone knows how to pass this level please tell me. Thanks

[Post New]by dlaisa on Dec 17, 10 11:45 AM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't get passed level 90. I tried with 2 different users, each focused on different upgrades, and it hasn't made a bit of difference. I think the most I've gotten is $1411 out of $1600.

[Post New]by bubbles10013 on Dec 17, 10 8:08 PM
I just got to level 90 today and I'm stuck on it as well. As some of you have probably noticed, the level has a limited amount of customers. I believe the highest i got on the level was 1497. I am unable to break the 1500 mark even though the first goal is still far off. I have tried all the different upgrades as well even though mine are limited because i've maxed out my buys on most of the machines. I've also tried to where all the customers have 5 hearts as well. Nothing seems to work.

[Post New]by bfitzy on Dec 28, 10 6:16 AM
this program is different in the way that you must move your curser over the parts you want to upgrade.If you just click on any machine the automatic price shown it an upgrade speed price. If you want a second oven move the curser over the second oven and click it and it shows the price to purchase a second oven. You do not have to upgrade one oven all the way. the same applies to the froster and the topping machines. Move the curser over the part you want and click it and the price will come up.

My problem is I can't figure out how to make a three layer cake with a topping. Is there a way to do this?

boogielu_23 wrote:Was excited to see a new cake mania...bought it...wish i hadnt. Issue I'm having is the program is so slow I end up losing most of my customers...i.e. either the froster is too slow, needs repair or my girl is slow etc. what's up with the ovens? Before u could purchase more ovens now its like you upgrade one oven over and over before being able to buy another one. Maybe it's just me but I wish I had saved my money. *sighs

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,017 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Dec 31, 10 8:31 AM
For Bfitzy

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/131783.page
http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/132759.page

Go to: