Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 14, 10 6:41 AM
Great ihog - great graphic, interesting storyline. Overall a buy for me

colieleigh
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Good HOG

[Post New]by colieleigh on Dec 14, 10 9:39 AM
This game was a lot more fun than most HOG's. I enjoyed the graphics, the storyline, etc. Was a bit easy up until the last 2 puzzles which were difficult, the rest were very easy for me. Dialogue was a little slow, had to skip through some. Overall I'm glad I purchased this one.

katlady3
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles

[Post New]by katlady3 on Dec 14, 10 11:19 AM
roxiestar74 wrote:
katlady3 wrote:
GrammaKj wrote:I finished the CE a couple of days ago and I rate this game in my top 3. I liked it better than MCF 13th Skull and Haunted Legends: Queen of Spades.

I'm trying to decide which game to buy...13th skull, Queen of Spades, or this one! I just finished the 60 min demo, and I really enjoyed playing this game. I didn't want to stop, but I've got a choice to make. Is this entire game better than the other 2? Which one will give me the longest playing time? Thanks for your input!

I would love to play Queen of Spades, but it doesn't want to work right for me. There is a lag problem, and re-installing the game did not solve it. So I can't give you an opinion on that game. But I am about half way through Hound of Baskervilles and I am really enjoying it. I played 13th Skull and liked it for a little while, but then started to get reallly annoyed with it towards the end. Length-wise I would think that 13th Skull is longer than Hound of Baskervilles, but length doesn't necessarily equate more enjoyment, especially if you get annoyed with a game near the end and just want it to be over. Although I haven't finished Hound of Baskervilles, I have really
enjoyed the first half and think that it gets better as I keep playing, so based on that I would recommend it over 13th Skull. I have been playing for about 3 hrs, and as mentioned, am halfway through (I looked at the walkthrough to find out how far along I am), so I'm guessing it will take me about 6 hrs to finish, and I consider myself an intermediate player (I'm faster than some people, and slower than some other people, based on what people post as their game lengths). But yeah, I do think that Hound of Baskervilles can give you many hours of enjoyment, and recommend it!

Thanks so much for your input...I think I'll enjoy this game better too!!

Edited on 12/14/2010 at 11:22:24 AM PST

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Dec 14, 10 7:58 PM
katlady3 wrote:
roxiestar74 wrote:
katlady3 wrote:
GrammaKj wrote:I finished the CE a couple of days ago and I rate this game in my top 3. I liked it better than MCF 13th Skull and Haunted Legends: Queen of Spades.

I'm trying to decide which game to buy...13th skull, Queen of Spades, or this one! I just finished the 60 min demo, and I really enjoyed playing this game. I didn't want to stop, but I've got a choice to make. Is this entire game better than the other 2? Which one will give me the longest playing time? Thanks for your input!

I would love to play Queen of Spades, but it doesn't want to work right for me. There is a lag problem, and re-installing the game did not solve it. So I can't give you an opinion on that game. But I am about half way through Hound of Baskervilles and I am really enjoying it. I played 13th Skull and liked it for a little while, but then started to get reallly annoyed with it towards the end. Length-wise I would think that 13th Skull is longer than Hound of Baskervilles, but length doesn't necessarily equate more enjoyment, especially if you get annoyed with a game near the end and just want it to be over. Although I haven't finished Hound of Baskervilles, I have really
enjoyed the first half and think that it gets better as I keep playing, so based on that I would recommend it over 13th Skull. I have been playing for about 3 hrs, and as mentioned, am halfway through (I looked at the walkthrough to find out how far along I am), so I'm guessing it will take me about 6 hrs to finish, and I consider myself an intermediate player (I'm faster than some people, and slower than some other people, based on what people post as their game lengths). But yeah, I do think that Hound of Baskervilles can give you many hours of enjoyment, and recommend it!

Thanks so much for your input...I think I'll enjoy this game better too!!

Glad that I could help! Happy Gaming!

Strixi
Guppy
Guppy
107 Posts

[Post New]by Strixi on Dec 15, 10 1:05 AM
This was such a happy creepy game! Puzzles were just the right amount of challenge--some were tough, but others were easy. I did manage to solve one in less than a minute. It had one of my favorite kinds of puzzles, too--the kind where you have to untangle items so their lines don't overlap. I could do those things all day.

Voice acting is enjoyable. Graphics are excellent. Hidden objects aren't too small, and I went through the whole game without asking for a hint in a hidden object scene. The awards are cute. I love being told how brilliant I am.

Best of all, the map. Oh, the beautiful map! Traipsing back and forth from room to room trying to remember where to turn irritates me about IHOGs, so the map was MUCH appreciated!

Also, I enjoyed the plot around each Baskerville and Watson's character development.

Definitely one of the most entertaining games I've ever bought here. If you're looking for fun (as opposed to tough, brain-twisting puzzles), I'd say to give this a try.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Dec 15, 10 2:17 PM
I just finished this game and am sad it's over. It says it took me around 7 hours but it did not seem that long. I am wondering if there is a time penalty for skipping puzzles, although I did not see anything about that. The puzzles were really fun and I did play the majority of them, but there were two of them that I could not figure out for the life of me and had to skip. I definitely think they varied from easy to challenging depending on which one you were playing. I thought the story of this game was fantastic and I really enjoyed the voice acting. The game was pretty linear but allowed you to wander around if you wanted to, but if you don't like wandering around, then you didn't have to, and could just click on the map and be transported to your location. So I think it can please both the IHOG fans that like wandering from location to location, as well as those that don't. The hidden object scenes were pretty spread out until near the end of the game when there were more of them closer together. I do not like having too many hidden object scenes back to back since it gets monotonous, so I liked how they mixed them up with inventory tasks and puzzles. You also get to have superpowers and time travel, which was fun and different, and really added to my enjoyment of this game!

If you are looking for something that is very entertaining and different than your average HOG, I recommend this game. I am kind of wishing now that I had bought the CE so I could do the bonus play, but at the same time, at $6.99 the regular edition is well worth the money. I do not think you need the strategy guide to get through the game, since it is usually pretty clear what you need to do next. So if you buy the CE you are really just paying extra for the bonus play. I am curious about what the bonus play entails, but did find the ending of the regular edition quite satisfying, and feel like I got more than my money's worth for $6.99.

patkerash
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

Really enjoyed this game..

[Post New]by patkerash on Dec 15, 10 3:38 PM
Loved the graphics, the story, the ****, and just the way the whole thing was put together.

While a lot was happening in a lot of different places there was a way to go directly to the action spot without fumbling around trying to remember where you were.

For $6.99 this game beat a LOT of the higher priced ones. So glad to be able to play a great game again.

deeno2
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by deeno2 on Dec 15, 10 3:46 PM
Your absolutely correct Mr. Russ. There is absolutely no similarities between this game and the Sherlock Holmes story. I'm not really sure how they can get away with the name.
That being said it was an interesting game because of the unigue game play. A lot of unusual games and devises.
And after all the comments about the dog I was a little apprehensive but it really should not have been made such an issue of. We have seen far more gruesome things in games that many raved over.
As a side note, the Bible book of Genesis says that all living creature ARE SOULS..not that we HAVE a soul....there is no such teaching in the Bible of souls going off into heaven. Animals have no concept of past and future, Death is natural to animals. They do not mourn. Only humans were given a hope of living forever here on earth. We can't put human feeling into animals.

[Post New]by TartOfDarkness on Dec 18, 10 12:41 AM
I really loved this game. It can get kind of "talky" but there is a skip button. I chose not to use the game cursor as it "floated" too much and was squirrely. At first, my screen was blacking out periodically and I got a Driver error message. A Microsoft update download that I was too lazy to do earlier fixed that, so it was just my puter, not the game. I would say that this is one of my top 5 favorites along with Return to Ravenhearst, Madame Fate, Sweeney Todd and the PuppetShow series. An enthusiastic BUY! Get any of those games before Mystery Case Files 13th Skull (hated the "live" character interaction).

Edited on 12/18/2010 at 12:41:59 AM PST

kisskeeps
Catfish
Catfish
1,508 Posts

[Post New]by kisskeeps on Dec 18, 10 11:47 PM
deeno2 wrote:(in part...)Animals have no concept of past and future, Death is natural to animals. They do not mourn. Only humans were given a hope of living forever here on earth. We can't put human feeling into animals.

Sure we can, it's called anthropomorphism (giving human characteristics to animals). Scientists shun this but I think it's fodder for a fantasy lover LOL.

I really enjoyed your well-expressed comments. I appreciate the time and effort all the reviewers invest; sure helps me pick a game to demo, and hopefully use a credit on.

Edited on 12/18/2010 at 11:50:01 PM PST

[Post New]by MissPat39 on Dec 19, 10 8:11 AM
After playing many "Hidden Object" games over the last couple of years, I really liked this game. Its fast moving pace and colorful graphics made it one of the best playing games, for me . The dialogue in between added to this fast playing game It was a souped up version of the old "Mystery Case Files" game which I enjoyed in the begininng of their conception.Which have turned into large file games but are still good.

[Post New]by WanderingPenguin on Dec 19, 10 12:22 PM
We enjoyed the gameplay quite a bit and I particularly enjoyed the map functionality. We always play games on the "Difficult" level but I get quite bored having to run through room after room over and over again just to be able to use a can of oil or what have you. There was a lot to like about this game. However...

...there were quite a few grammatical and other text-based mistakes. Also, every time we picked up a piece of something (like the Coats of Arms, for example) it would increase both the number found and the number left to find on our screen. I realize these will be very minor annoyances for most of you, but for us they are absolutely maddening because they are so easily fixed. It ruined the gameplay for us and made this a No Sale.

As I said, it's not a bad game otherwise, but I have played many that are far better and with so much competition out there on BFG for our hard-earned money there was not even a second thought for us. We played through the 60 minutes and deleted it.

If you don't mind these kinds of mistakes (there are others as well but if you have no trouble with the English and math errors then they're hardly worth pointing out), then I think you will find this a decent romp. As for us, we're waiting for the MCF:13th Skull to come out in regular edition. We'll be all over that one.

reddleman
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by reddleman on Dec 19, 10 6:18 PM
I really enjoyed this game.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Dec 21, 10 6:16 AM
What an AWESOME game! The story line kept my interest; graphics were clear; music appropriate to the story. The primary difference in this game from others was how interactive the entire game was in terms ot player involvement, decision making, and execution. From the beginning to the end, I was actively involved in every scene. The puzzles were unique , some more difficult than others. The developers are to be commended on creating a FIRST-CLASS game! Excellent work!!

Edited on 12/21/2010 at 6:19:47 AM PST

shadowsong
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by shadowsong on Dec 21, 10 3:30 PM
I just played this game through and I really liked it. The mix of hidden object scenes with a lot of puzzles was great. I also get really tired of too many hidden object scenes, but this mix was fine.
One problem I had with the game was the pausing between dialogue and between actions. There seemed to be a 3-7 second delay after every action and every line of dialogue that really got on my nerves after a while. My clicks weren't recognized if I didn't wait and sometimes I wasn't sure if I had really solved the puzzle correctly or not. It really irritated me when I was doing the 60 minute trial, I kept thinking half my trail was wasted in these stupid empty delays. Kind of like constant buffering when you are watching a movie that isn't downloading correctly.
Overall, the graphics are good, the puzzles were difficult enough, but not that hard and the story was fun. I recommend this game.

cleep100
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by cleep100 on Dec 26, 10 3:15 PM
I found the puzzles a little too challenging (frustrating!) for my taste. I can usually figure out how to proceed with the puzzles in most HOG games, but not this one. Conversely, the Hidden Object scenes were a bit too easy. So overall, not one of my favorites.

Seji
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Seji on Dec 27, 10 8:04 PM
I LOVED this game! It was so much fun. It was more than just clicking around on a screen finding hidden objects, which I find dreadfully boring.

The graphics, the sounds....all excellent. Can't wait for more just like it!

dregester
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by dregester on Dec 31, 10 2:30 PM
Finally got a chance to play this game and I really liked it. Just the right mix of HOG and puzzles. My favorite part however was the map. Love that idea. Puts an end to all the running back and forth. A little too much hand holding in the easy mode, I would suggest playing in the more difficult mode.

Shevyron
Clownfish
Clownfish
517 Posts

[Post New]by Shevyron on Jan 2, 11 10:06 AM
bought this as one of the "top 27" and really enjoyed.

I demoed it when it came out and i finished the demo in about 40mins and thought is was too easy do didn't buy.

However, at the discounted rate i thought i would give it another go.
AND LOVED IT

I really enjoyed this game.
HOG scenes: clear graphics and mainly easy finds. I achieved all targets for finding things
Achievement thingys: I really enjoyed this part of the game, its something else to consider when you are playing the game. Didn't get them all, and is incentive to keep playing to achieve them all
Puzzles: really ejnoyed the mix of puzzels, some where easier then others!
Other things: storyline and characters very good. could get a bit wordy, but a click moved it on

only one bad thing: one puzzle drove me up the wall, and the answer had 47 steps to it - not easy and i needed the walkthrough

WELL WORTH A BUY

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jan 6, 11 5:57 AM
Just finished this game for the 2nd time to get all the achievements. Took me about 5 1/2 hours first time and over 3 hours second time. Great value for money and the puzzles were great (Apart from 1 which was a stinker - thanks to the walkthrough for the solution otherwise I would never have got all the achievements.) The HOG scenes were just perfect as was the graphics.

All in all a great game and one I can really recommend. 5

Go to: